Old 28 Jul 2009, 08:54 (Ref:2509746)   #301
bluebeard
Veteran

England
wirral
bluebeard should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by BeeJ View Post
I just wish we could see a few more at the clubies.
if they came to clubbies they would see some racing!
Old 28 Jul 2009, 09:27 (Ref:2509770)   #302
Guinness2702
Veteran

United Kingdom
Cambridge
Guinness2702 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridGuinness2702 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by BeeJ View Post
For all of these Conspiracy theories about Silverstone Marshals only being selected it think it is total codswallop.
I was going to keep out of this, but since everybody else is speculating, I thought I'd add my 5p (inflation). All I want to say is that there's no smoke without fire, and I've heard about the smoke from a few different places now. Add to that The Hat's willingness to state that he has been told by a person who is amongst the chosen ones, and it gets harder to not believe.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephen Green View Post
Were you a party to the selection process at BARC?
Same question to you Stephen, because, inspite of what I said above, I really don't know either way*. So, what evidence do you have that people were not preselected?

* I actually don't care that much, as I wasn't expecting to be selected, but I'm a naturally curious person about all sorts of things, and it's good to play devil's advocate from time to time
Old 28 Jul 2009, 09:38 (Ref:2509777)   #303
Stephen Green
Race Official
Veteran

England
Faversham, Kent
Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!
My point was and still is, that people are saying there was a pre selection without having any proof. It's very easy to post 'hearsay' items but when people are saying catagorically that the BARC didn't stick to the wording of their letter then it is quite reasonable to expect them to be able to quantify their statements.

We seem to be forgetting that the BARC have been asked to provide marshals for the Abu Dhabi GP because their record in doing this for other countries has been exemplary. It says a great deal about the standard of British marshalling and I think we, as a body, should be honoured that our country has been asked to fill this slot. Decending into the realms of accusations and conspiracy theories only serves to demean the achievement of the BARC in getting the contract for Abu Dhabi.
Old 28 Jul 2009, 10:01 (Ref:2509789)   #304
Circuit boy
Rookie

Circuit boy has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Don't think the problem is with BARC, but they must have known about the 60+ pre selected. It's not going to change anything, but it's obviously true, and will no doubt cause problems for the Clubs concerned, but that's life.
Old 28 Jul 2009, 10:01 (Ref:2509790)   #305
Steven Humphrey
Veteran

England
cambridgeshire
Steven Humphrey should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridSteven Humphrey should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I haven't looked at this thread for a while as I'm not going (being a trainee, I wasn't invited to apply) and now wish I hadn't! I can't believe all the negative comments and conspiracy theories. There was no pre-selection of Silverstone marshals-I know plenty who were excitedly waiting for the reply letter just like everyone else and some of those were dissapointed.

It should have been an honour just to be asked to apply, let alone be invited and there were always going to be plenty of dissapointed people, some with lots of experience, some with not so much. Only 1 in 4 applicants were selected! From what I can gather, BARC have got it right. You need a balance of experience and enthusiasm.

And just be careful what you post on here-if senior members of BARC read it you won't be doing yourselves any favours.
Old 28 Jul 2009, 10:30 (Ref:2509801)   #306
Bodysnatcher
La Grande Théière
Veteran

Marshall Islands
5 minutes from the kentagon
Bodysnatcher has a real shot at the podium!Bodysnatcher has a real shot at the podium!Bodysnatcher has a real shot at the podium!Bodysnatcher has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by arnage arnie View Post

And just be careful what you post on here-if senior members of BARC read it you won't be doing yourselves any favours.
Of course they read 10ths, a senior official of BARC asked a mutual friend who "Bodysnatcher" was and why did I use that as my forum name.
It's the best way for the clubs to find out what the troops are thinking.
I still believe that everyone at BARC was acting honestly and truthfully when the initial invite letter went out.
Old 28 Jul 2009, 10:34 (Ref:2509802)   #307
Stephen Green
Race Official
Veteran

England
Faversham, Kent
Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Circuit boy View Post
Don't think the problem is with BARC, but they must have known about the 60+ pre selected. It's not going to change anything, but it's obviously true, and will no doubt cause problems for the Clubs concerned, but that's life.
Again, no one has come forward and stated factually that there was a pre selection process.
Old 28 Jul 2009, 10:37 (Ref:2509804)   #308
Middle_BBG
Racer

Middle_BBG should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
This, surely, is getting out of hand now people.

I don't care that I wasn't selected - I haven't won the lottery either but I don't blame that on a coven of conspirators.

The salient point is that no matter *how* the selection was made......we couldn't all go !

Yes, it would have been nice to have been one of those chosen but I'm thankful that I had the chance to apply not bilious that I wasn't successful. Anyway, I don't marshal for the chance of the Golden Shot - I marshal because I love motorsport, everything from clubbie speed events upwards, so come on guys, if you didn't make the selection, accept it gracefully.
Old 28 Jul 2009, 10:38 (Ref:2509806)   #309
Stephen Green
Race Official
Veteran

England
Faversham, Kent
Well said!
Old 28 Jul 2009, 10:54 (Ref:2509825)   #310
mini1400
Veteran

United Kingdom
Chelmsford, Essex
mini1400 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
On a lighter note: Who's taking their Falcons with them:
"Pets

General Information
Etihad airways accept the carriage of falcons and guide dogs to lead the blind or deaf in the cargo hold compartment provided that all the necessary health documents and important licenses have been obtained.

Any other animals must travel as cargo and are not permitted within the aircraft cabin or checked baggage.

• Falcons are accepted in the cabin also. (Please contact local Etihad office for detailed information.)."
Old 28 Jul 2009, 11:43 (Ref:2509868)   #311
warweezil
Racer

England
Half way up on the left - far from Home
warweezil should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluebeard View Post
if they came to clubbies they would see some racing!
The more I think of it.. the less interested I feel in the "prestige" events.
Old 28 Jul 2009, 12:04 (Ref:2509884)   #312
NICK ALLISON
Racer

England
london
NICK ALLISON should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by NICK ALLISON View Post
BARC did not have to write to 2000 + marshals and could have just picked BARC marshalling members only .Instead we have an ecletic mix of ages and skills both BARC members and non members . Also certain circuit disciplines required more staffing than others .At the end of the day like motor racing we have winners and "non winners " which does not mean an individual is any better or worse than those around them .Those who were selected well done ,to those who were not lets try harder for the next time.
Any way,some of us have to mind the shop at home .
Old 28 Jul 2009, 12:14 (Ref:2509890)   #313
gachjoel
Veteran

Wales
Cardiff
gachjoel should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridgachjoel should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Well just came back from the doc's and for this trip only 2 jabs are needed, Hep A & Tetnus, which are free, you can get other jabs but you need to pay for them, but those jabs are aimed (excuse the pun) more at Health Workers ect going out.
Hep A has to be repeated in 6 months time and will last for 20 years.

Last edited by gachjoel; 28 Jul 2009 at 12:16. Reason: additional text
Old 28 Jul 2009, 13:33 (Ref:2509960)   #314
Don`t mention the war!
Rookie

Wales
swansea
Don`t mention the war! should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by arnage arnie View Post
And don`t forget, officials from Abu Dhabi could be reading these posts too...and all the negativity and conspiracy theories won`t reflect well on British marshals for any future races we could be invited to. For the record, i wasn`t selected either, but good on those who were....whoever they may be!
Old 28 Jul 2009, 14:06 (Ref:2509981)   #315
haystacks
Veteran

England
Sittingbourne Kent
haystacks should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
well said Mike this debate is coming down to a petty squabble, so i say lets all take a Falcon. And then we can have proper air races in the plane.
Old 28 Jul 2009, 14:20 (Ref:2509987)   #316
haystacks
Veteran

England
Sittingbourne Kent
haystacks should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Just checked the weather AD, its 38C but feels more like 50C. I think i,m going to melt!!
Old 28 Jul 2009, 14:21 (Ref:2509990)   #317
Motorsportgirli
Racer

England
Hornsea
Motorsportgirli should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by gachjoel View Post
Well just came back from the doc's and for this trip only 2 jabs are needed, Hep A & Tetnus, which are free, you can get other jabs but you need to pay for them, but those jabs are aimed (excuse the pun) more at Health Workers ect going out.
cheers gach, was wondering about those

Mike have you got a spare falcon i seem to have mislaid mine

Does that mean we are travelling in the cargo hold, as doesnt mention the lesser spotted marshal ? (sorry i'll get my coat....................)
Old 28 Jul 2009, 14:27 (Ref:2509992)   #318
Middle_BBG
Racer

Middle_BBG should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Now downcast that I wasn't one of the chosen - the wife has just informed me that as I'm available then, I'm taking her away for the weekend.

Dayum, but that's good of me.......
Old 28 Jul 2009, 14:57 (Ref:2510003)   #319
Lord Summerisle
Veteran

England
Lancs
Lord Summerisle should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Guinness2702 View Post
So, what evidence do you have that people were not preselected?
its impossible to prove a negative.

other than theres no evidence of a positive.
Old 28 Jul 2009, 15:25 (Ref:2510015)   #320
Motorsportgirli
Racer

England
Hornsea
Motorsportgirli should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
is there a ten tenths group for those who are going like the British GP one?

Just for shared info etc
Old 28 Jul 2009, 15:34 (Ref:2510018)   #321
gachjoel
Veteran

Wales
Cardiff
gachjoel should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridgachjoel should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Motorsportgirli View Post

Just for shared info etc

sounds like a good idea, that way shared info won't get lost on this thread, anyone got an idea how to start one with a link to it.
Old 28 Jul 2009, 15:34 (Ref:2510019)   #322
mini1400
Veteran

United Kingdom
Chelmsford, Essex
mini1400 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Motorsportgirli View Post

Just for shared info etc
Would be usefull. So, how steep is the marshal's campsite, and does the plane have plenty of towbars for our caravans?
Old 28 Jul 2009, 15:36 (Ref:2510022)   #323
Guinness2702
Veteran

United Kingdom
Cambridge
Guinness2702 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridGuinness2702 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lord Summerisle View Post
its impossible to prove a negative.

other than theres no evidence of a positive.
No, but it is possible to prove an alternative positive, which excludes the possibility of the other positive. For example, somebody could have a video of names being drawn out of a hat, thus precluding the possibility that people were preselected.

I would doubt that such a video exists, and since I don't know either way, as I previously stated, I'm not going to say one way or another. But, the point is, that nobody can prove anything either way, so the discussion and speculation including all its accusations and counter-accusations is largely pointless, with the exception of a few clear statements by some people.
Old 28 Jul 2009, 17:08 (Ref:2510067)   #324
Bryan Degerlund
Veteran

England
Dartford
Bryan Degerlund should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
sounds like a good idea, that way shared info won't get lost on this thread, anyone got an idea how to start one with a link to it.
I will be staying with Terri and Grant next weekend (Phoenix Park), so will see what can be done, if no-one else does it first.
Old 28 Jul 2009, 17:52 (Ref:2510097)   #325
White flag man
Veteran

Greenland
West Hampstead, North London
White flag man should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridWhite flag man should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Thanks gachjoel,
A helpful constructive entry at last. Maybe you should have type it in bold to seperate it from the rest.

Mike,
I've got a kite, isn't that a type of falcon??!!