Related Sites: FlagMarshal.com MarshalsGuide.com Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Racing Talk > Marshals Forum

Old 12 Jul 2010, 14:09 (Ref:2725504)   #301
alimcb
Racer

Scotland
Northampton
alimcb should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Great weekend at Woodcote, but a bit hot! I was suffering on Friday and by the time I got back last night my feet were killing me.

Providing fire cover for the grid was a great experience. People often say they got into marshalling to get closer to the action, well you can't get much closer to the action than that!

Cheers to all the Knockhill crowd in the campsite. Hopefully see a few of you down here again in September for the LMS.

Old 12 Jul 2010, 14:16 (Ref:2725506)   #302
Sticker Rub
Racer

United Kingdom
Peterborough
Sticker Rub should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
An interesting weekend on The Loop but I lost my bet on lap 1 carnage in at least 1 race. Most of the drivers were relatively well behaved with a few minor exceptions. Thanks to all on post for an enjoyable (if a bit sweaty) weekend.

Getting out was easy: 5 minutes to Silverstone Village (2 hours last year) & an extra 20 minutes getting home, fantastic!
Old 12 Jul 2010, 14:25 (Ref:2725512)   #303
haystacks
Veteran

England
Sittingbourne Kent
haystacks should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
GREAT time was had by me, Farm Curve iwas allocated to, but was was marshaling on (according to the map) on Village Corner and Wellington Straight. Weird Post
Arnage, the only bit of a car I touched was the wheel nut of your three wheel GP3 car. Must have met you, I was the short fat hairy one.
Old 12 Jul 2010, 15:02 (Ref:2725524)   #304
garybirch
Racer

England
Taunton, Somerset UK
garybirch should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Thanks to all in the loop for making it a fun weekend.
That flag post 23, sticking out in the middle of the loop is a fantastic place to watch the racing from.
Good to meet Gravel Monkey - I think! Crazy!! Much fun was had by all.
Those GP3 cars sound awful but were the most fun of the weekend!
Old 12 Jul 2010, 15:55 (Ref:2725553)   #305
White flag man
Veteran

Greenland
West Hampstead, North London
White flag man should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridWhite flag man should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Had my best British GP yet, at Abbey Link.
The new flag posts at Abbey Link and Abbey Inside are awesome.
Many thanks to all the guys/girls on post, especially Edward, our beloved leader, Neil and my partner on crime, Tony.
A great weekend all round, even the GP.
Be back at Silverstone in 2 weeks.
Old 12 Jul 2010, 16:32 (Ref:2725577)   #306
SamWaters
Rookie

England
West Sussex
SamWaters should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Thanks

Thanks to everyone on Priory for a really enjoyable first Grand Prix and my first time at Silverstone as a marshal.

Thanks also to the guys on the campsite for a great laugh in the evenings.

Fantastic weekend and hope to be back again next year!
Old 12 Jul 2010, 16:39 (Ref:2725582)   #307
Dean Watson
Veteran

England
Louth, Lincolnshire
Dean Watson should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Great weekend at Vale thanks to the team for a very enjoyable weekend, not a lot to do but what we had was dealt with efficiently.

Many thanks to Fazza, gravel monkey and the other OP guys plus others who helped to stop my runaway caravan on wednesday.

Was it just me or did the whole venue seem a little muted compared to previous years?
Old 12 Jul 2010, 17:43 (Ref:2725610)   #308
Hepatic
Veteran

United Kingdom
Preston-ish
Hepatic should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridHepatic should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
campsite certainly did but i put that down to the excessive heat. it sapped all my energy and i'm sure it did a lot of other people too. it got so warm so early is was hard to get a decent amount of sleep and recharge, but then we'd moan about the weather no matter what it did wouldn't we

Nothing to do all weekend on Beckets but to be honest thats a post where i'm glad we had nothing to do. Anything making contact on the way in could end up being huge, so was glad to just watch some cracking racing although the TV coverage was better than what i saw myself

Thanks to Dave for putting up with me for 3 days and fag ash for checking up on us during the weekend. Next time tho can someone please remember to bring the aircon, ta
Old 12 Jul 2010, 17:44 (Ref:2725611)   #309
Irvine6
Rookie

Irvine6 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Had a great first Grand Prix! Great time on Luffield In with all the guys, nice to meet all.

Glad the weather was great dont know if i would of enjoyed it so much in the rain!!
Old 12 Jul 2010, 17:52 (Ref:2725616)   #310
Alan Green
Veteran

England
Doncaster
Alan Green should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
You're right Dean, we commented that the surrounding campsites seemed to be less occupied than previous years, and certainly getting out down the lane to Silverstone village was an awful lot easer at 6.30pm than it has been. There were less fireworks & late night music, but there were vuvuzelas

Thanks to everyone on Brooklands, hopefully they'll tighten the corner for next year and make it a real overtaking opportunity, rather than a 'late lunge and hope for the best' corner. Well done to the incident guy from Bob Millers team for running out and collecting the Force India debris off our corner, not picked up on camera but was borderline safety car material as it was a fairly large piece of wing endplate that was only just off-line. The Torro Rosso came past us with damaged suspension / puncture / knackered, so wasn't surprised to see him fall off with you guys & girls at Luffield!

Oh, and please don't iron out the Turn 11 / Abbey bump Silverstone, that made the weekend! It'll be interesting to see that corner & the arena as turn 1 next year!
Old 12 Jul 2010, 19:17 (Ref:2725645)   #311
Roger Lovelock
Racer

England
Malmesbury, Wiltshire.
Roger Lovelock should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid

Thanks to all on Post 22 The Loop and the 2 Flags on 23 for your efforts in making a:rotate great weekend.
Old 12 Jul 2010, 19:39 (Ref:2725665)   #312
Piglet
Veteran

Piglet should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridPiglet should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridPiglet should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
I can't believe it's over for another year! I had a fab time, well done to all the guys and girls in the pit lane, it was bloody hardy work in there on Friday with the temperatures, slightly better on other days but with the concrete, reflected heat and no real breeze on Friday it was 'orrid.

Nice to see the usual faces on the campsite, hopefully someone will buy the person laying it out a new measuring stick for next year so we can have enough space to pitch as it was pretty tight this year.

Dean I heard about your caravan, it sounded really scary

I was really pleased to see Nick Tandy on the top step of the podium for the Porsche Race. He's had a tough time and he deserved the win.

Roll on next year
Old 12 Jul 2010, 19:58 (Ref:2725673)   #313
Maranello Man
Rookie

England
Huddersfield
Maranello Man should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Drink

Thanks to all the new friends I met this year at Woodcote outside, delighted to have been providing cover on the grid and great fun was had by all, although the heat was unbelievable at times!! Got "papped" on the way back to post all thanks to the glittery cowboy hat wearing team and sparkly bunny ears girl (whose photo is on the Autosport website!!). Thanks go to the MSA who work so tirelessly to get everything sorted for all us guys and girls and also to the security people on site. Here's to next year, it can't come quick enough. Kind Regards Simon B
Old 12 Jul 2010, 20:04 (Ref:2725677)   #314
Ubique
Racer

Falkland Islands
Watching penguins in the South Atlantic
Ubique should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Piglet View Post

Nice to see the usual faces on the campsite, hopefully someone will buy the person laying it out a new measuring stick for next year so we can have enough space to pitch as it was pretty tight this year.
I agree it was a great atmosphere on the site and nice to see so many friends. The plots were a tad tight this year but the security was a lot better and we seemed to have plenty of hot water in the showers. I think things were tighter this year due to the increased number of marshals aswell as new people arranging the site.
Old 12 Jul 2010, 20:11 (Ref:2725681)   #315
Bodysnatcher
La Grande Théière
Veteran

Marshall Islands
5 minutes from the kentagon
Bodysnatcher has a real shot at the podium!Bodysnatcher has a real shot at the podium!Bodysnatcher has a real shot at the podium!Bodysnatcher has a real shot at the podium!
glad all the Woodcote crew enjoyed themselves.

It was a great event, thanks in part to everyones positive attitude in very trying conditions.

Damn those glittery hats...made (some of) us look purty tho.

Doing the start grid cover made up for being so far from the racing. At least as the (junior) post chief I had the chance to go up to Woodcote approach and feel F1 at full raw in yer face.
Old 12 Jul 2010, 20:14 (Ref:2725683)   #316
Ubique
Racer

Falkland Islands
Watching penguins in the South Atlantic
Ubique should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by colincragg View Post
A very big thank to all my team at Luffield Out. although we had a quiet weekend the weather and company on post made it one of the best British Grand Prix I have done.
Cheers Colin it was good working with you too. Was a good laugh at our end of the post mate but I wonder whatever happened to the bloke who didn't come back after friday? I hope he was OK.

Daz
Old 12 Jul 2010, 21:39 (Ref:2725745)   #317
Firefox
Rookie

England
kilton meynes
Firefox should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Thanks to all the flag marshals for your great work over the weekend, it was good to meet all of you when issuing the radios etc. Perhaps next year we'll have have both networks working on Friday which will be a first, still I should be thankful that they turned up as when I left for home after the briefing they had not been delivered.
Thanks again to you all, keep safe and lets do it all again next year.
Ian
Old 12 Jul 2010, 21:54 (Ref:2725758)   #318
Guinness2702
Veteran

United Kingdom
Cambridge
Guinness2702 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridGuinness2702 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Firefox View Post
Perhaps next year we'll have have both networks working on Friday which will be a first
My problems (Post 1 yellow) were due to what we call in the software engineering world an I/O error (Incompetent Operator). I made 2 errors. I missed the first radio check on Friday because I didn't realise that the headset had a secondary volume control, until I spoke to the guys at 2a who sorted it out for me (i.e they turned the volume up). The second was enforced on me due to the strange and uncomfortable angle I had to sit on post at, which meant it was much easier for me to use the button on the handset to transmit with the flag in my left hand. Little did I know that although the light came on the radio, it didn't actually activate the mic in the headset.
Old 12 Jul 2010, 22:04 (Ref:2725764)   #319
Steven Humphrey
Veteran

England
cambridgeshire
Steven Humphrey should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridSteven Humphrey should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by haystacks View Post
Arnage, the only bit of a car I touched was the wheel nut of your three wheel GP3 car. Must have met you, I was the short fat hairy one.
I was only at that post for the Sunday (I was at the earlier point, exit of Aintree, Friday & Saturday) so didn't actually get my hands on the GP3 car! I may have seen you Sunday-I was wearing Silverstone blacks & an Aussie bush hat.
Old 12 Jul 2010, 22:07 (Ref:2725767)   #320
Stephen Green
Race Official
Veteran

England
Faversham, Kent
Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by haystacks View Post
GREAT time was had by me, Farm Curve iwas allocated to, but was was marshaling on (according to the map) on Village Corner and Wellington Straight. Weird Post
T'was nice to have you on my post for the weekend!
Old 12 Jul 2010, 22:08 (Ref:2725768)   #321
White flag man
Veteran

Greenland
West Hampstead, North London
White flag man should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridWhite flag man should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by arnage arnie View Post
I was only at that post for the Sunday (I was at the earlier point, exit of Aintree, Friday & Saturday) so didn't actually get my hands on the GP3 car! I may have seen you Sunday-I was wearing Silverstone blacks & an Aussie bush hat.
No Steve, he was in orange with a baseball cap, short and fat with a bushy beard. All he needs is a fishing rod and a toadstool
Old 13 Jul 2010, 08:41 (Ref:2725936)   #322
neil_davidson2
TT Photo Of The Year Winner - 2009 & 2010
Veteran

England
Swindon, UK
neil_davidson2 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridneil_davidson2 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Many thanks to all the team at Brooklands for a very enjoyable weekend.
Old 13 Jul 2010, 11:25 (Ref:2726032)   #323
Grandslammer
Veteran

Wales
Grandslammer should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Had an enjoyable weekend at Village working with BeeJ,think it went pretty well,good to meet Mr Monkey and Mr Kelly amongst others too
Personally think the flagpoints in the arena need some re-positioning though
Any idea who won the sweepstake btw ?
Old 13 Jul 2010, 12:00 (Ref:2726049)   #324
Mike Kelly 1
Veteran

England
Poole, Dorset (Scouser in exile!)
Mike Kelly 1 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grandslammer View Post
Any idea who won the sweepstake btw ?
Yes, It was Ashley (Ash) Hazel who won the post sweep.
Had a great weekend as part of "The Village People". The FIA inspection on the Sunday saw us doing the YMCA dance to much amusement from the FIA stewards. I think i struggled more with the heat on Friday and Saturday than I ever have marshalling in Dubai and Abu Dhabi. Good practice for later this year (he says in hope!)

Stayed on the very quiet campsite till 7am Monday then drove to BUckmore Park to compete in the Henry Surtees Headway Challenge 2 1/2 hour endurance karting event. Leading a team of 5 marshals competing against 32 other teams with the likes of Johnny Herbert, Oliver Turvey and Jolyon Palmer racing we had one aim, not to finish last in qualifying or the race. We achieved it . Qualified 32nd out of 33, rose to 30th, had to change karts after the chain broke and finished 32nd. THe day raised over £60,000 for the charity.

Mike Kelly - Patron saint of public houses!
Old 13 Jul 2010, 12:09 (Ref:2726053)   #325
Greem
Veteran

United Kingdom
Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Does anyone know if any of the posts managed to do a collective "Facedown" at any of the inspections?