Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: FlagMarshal.com MarshalsGuide.com Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Racing Talk > Marshals Forum

Old 9 Jul 2012, 18:48 (Ref:3104304)   #301
Piglet
Veteran

Piglet should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridPiglet should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridPiglet should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
We're home, can't quite shake off the smell of the mud but the great clean up has started.

High Points: The people, as ever, I love the GP campsite, I see people I don't see from year to year, meet new people and generally laugh a lot! We didn't make it to the party, but it sounded like fun...

Low Points: The mud. I can deal with rain but that much mud isn't much fun

Thanks to: The snatch guys who worked their socks of last night and this morning to help their friends and colleagues out. If anyone from Silverstone is reading this - you owe these guys a lot more than a "thank you", they saved you from what could have been absolute carnage. Oh and thanks to Landy Power - thanks to Tinkerbell, we got in and out fine and were able to help some others out...

If anyone has graphics skills, I think we need a "I survived the BGP 2012 Marshals' Campsite" Stickers - Terri, do you have any contacts for stickers?
Old 9 Jul 2012, 18:57 (Ref:3104307)   #302
Greem
Veteran

United Kingdom
Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!
I think Al Weyman (of the Historic Racing Today parish) might be able to help you out with stickers.
Old 9 Jul 2012, 19:01 (Ref:3104310)   #303
TrueBlueFlyer
Veteran

Ukraine
New Jersey
TrueBlueFlyer should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
i'm too lazy to go through the 20 pages worth of comments, just a quick question:

did you guys use hi-viz yellow flags at Silverstone this year?

holy cow were they bright on TV
Old 9 Jul 2012, 19:19 (Ref:3104316)   #304
Piglet
Veteran

Piglet should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridPiglet should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridPiglet should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greem View Post
I think Al Weyman (of the Historic Racing Today parish) might be able to help you out with stickers.
If we're going to do some, we need someone to design and an order service or someone who will volunteer to collate and send....
Old 9 Jul 2012, 19:26 (Ref:3104318)   #305
fazza
Veteran

United Kingdom
Wigan
fazza should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Thanks to all the crew on Woodcote straight outside and the teams on the national pits for a great weekend had a few laughs and a few mad moments but a ggggggrrrreat time,

Also enjoyed the way the British marshals all come together to help each other out when needed saw lots of team spirit getting cars and tin tents out of the mud bath. Biggest thanks to the JCB drivers for all their efforts, they were still at it at midday today.
Old 9 Jul 2012, 19:51 (Ref:3104324)   #306
lucky scarf
Rookie

Wales
Kinmel Bay
lucky scarf should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
First time marshalling at the BGP and really enjoyed the weekend at Woodcote Inside. Great group of marshals at our humble little post.

Highlights of the weekend.... cars coming at us in both directions prior to the start of the Historic F1 race Saturday night as seven of them played follow my leader into the national pits, and the chants of anger from the crowd towards our team as they wanted us to take up tv repairs when the giant screen broke down on Sunday morning, the applause for the repair guys was one of the loudest cheers of the weekend.
Old 9 Jul 2012, 20:11 (Ref:3104327)   #307
blueoval2
Racer

England
blueoval2 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Had a great weekend, spirits I think a bit low with the weather and mud but once Sunday got here we all know why we do it.
As people have said big thanks to guys for volunteering to help us out Sunday and Monday. As usual great atmosphere on the campsite and around the circuit.
Hope to be there again next year.
Old 9 Jul 2012, 20:58 (Ref:3104343)   #308
Firefox
Rookie

England
kilton meynes
Firefox should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I would to thank personally all of the flag marshals for putting up we me "wittering" away at you all weekend about checking radio connections and open lines, for being on time for radio collections, being stoically calm when headsets failed and showing the indomitable British spirit when faced with the appalling weather conditions yet to a man you were all so patient and cheerful when collecting the radios it makes my job so much easier.

There are times when after 30+ years I think it's time to stop doing the GP and let someone else have a go but after a weekend such as we have just had it is such a pleasure to work with you and to see so many familiar faces many that only visit Silverstone once a year that I think you may have to put up with me for while yet.

Once again thank you all for making it such a great weekend despite the weather and I look forward to seeing you all again next year. If you know any of the flag marshals that are not on Ten Tenths perhaps would pass on my grateful thanks.
Old 9 Jul 2012, 21:11 (Ref:3104347)   #309
Woolley
Race Official
Veteran

England
Wolverhampton, England
Woolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by Piglet View Post
If anyone has graphics skills, I think we need a "I survived the BGP 2012 Marshals' Campsite" Stickers - Terri, do you have any contacts for stickers?
If so, can we also have some "I survived the BGP 2000 Marshals' Campsite" stickers at the same time, because it's not as if this was the first time. Funnily enough, it was the snatch crews that sorted us all out that time as well...
Old 9 Jul 2012, 21:15 (Ref:3104348)   #310
Pete Howarth
Veteran

England
New Waltham
Pete Howarth should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Woolley View Post
If so, can we also have some "I survived the BGP 2000 Marshals' Campsite" stickers at the same time, because it's not as if this was the first time. Funnily enough, it was the snatch crews that sorted us all out that time as well...
and some "I didn't survive the BGP 2000 Marshals' Campsite" for those that got flooded.
Old 9 Jul 2012, 21:28 (Ref:3104354)   #311
Piglet
Veteran

Quote:
Yep, I'll have a pair of those Had to get the car valet cleaned after 2000 as I couldn't get the mud out of it! It might also require a "2007" version where we were saved by the fact that it stopped raining on the Friday and the site dried up!

Needs someone with some graphics skills to get to work....
Old 10 Jul 2012, 06:32 (Ref:3104466)   #312
Bodger
Racer

England
Oxfordshire
Bodger should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Had a great first Grandprix at Aintree Exit. Was with a good bunch of people.

Thanks to the Anglesea Group for inviting me in for a drink on the Wednesday night, even though I was already drunk after being down the pub all afternoon till closing time, lol. I was really suffering the next day with a hangover. My nephew had wondered where I dissapeared to as I was only popping up to the toilets, lol.

Shame about the weather over the weekend, but at least the weather turned out nice for the race in the end. Nearlly had Paul Di Resta in our gravel trap.

Decided to leave the campsite after the race so packed up the tent etc as the sun was out. Got it all packed in time as it started to rain again. Got back home by 5pm. Managed to get out on my own momentum by rolling down the hill to the exit at the bottom, but it was good to see the guys with the JCB's helping people out of a sticky situation. Hope to be back for the GP next year if I get selected. Let's hope for less rain next time
Old 10 Jul 2012, 07:46 (Ref:3104487)   #313
Norbert
Racer

England
Norbert should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
And "I survived the European GP 1993 Marshal's Campsite"
Old 10 Jul 2012, 08:42 (Ref:3104502)   #314
Greem
Veteran

United Kingdom
Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!
What an experience that was! A great weekend's flagging at Chapel. I think I got more radio calls in on Friday and Saturday than I've made at other meetings this year put together.

Bit of a squeaky bum moment on Friday when Senna lost control on the water pouring across the track at the exit of Becketts as he was heading straight for us at the time, but went gracefully and quickly past to make hard contact with the tyres about 30m away. It seemed to all happen very slowly at the time, but that's adrenalin for you!
Then we thought Alonso and Massa were coming for us again on Saturday but they both hooked up and regained control (more by luck than judgement though having watched it on telly).
Combined with a couple of other offs in the GP2 and GP3 sessions we were quite busy (well I say "we" but I really mean the incident team).

Sunday however... nothing to do at all in terms of incidents but a lot of blues.

I got caught out by the rain while packing my tent up (curses!) but like others was able to roll down the hill, out the bottom gate and make my escape via Whittlebury and Blisworth over to Northampton. Was back home by 6pm.

Now... does anyone have my legs? I'm convinced the ones I have aren't mine!
Old 10 Jul 2012, 11:08 (Ref:3104561)   #315
mini1400
Veteran

United Kingdom
Chelmsford, Essex
mini1400 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greem View Post
What an experience that was! A great weekend's flagging at Chapel. I think I got more radio calls in on Friday and Saturday than I've made at other meetings this year put together.
Sorry I kept sending them onto you! Was quite busy on the radio on Becketts Out, that puddle in the centre of Becketts that never seemed to fully dry kept on catching them out...
Old 10 Jul 2012, 11:56 (Ref:3104578)   #316
EvilPumpkin
CCNA
Royalridge Computing
A LARGE Teapot
Veteran

Ireland
EvilPumpkin is going for a new world record!EvilPumpkin is going for a new world record!EvilPumpkin is going for a new world record!EvilPumpkin is going for a new world record!EvilPumpkin is going for a new world record!EvilPumpkin is going for a new world record!EvilPumpkin is going for a new world record!EvilPumpkin is going for a new world record!
Well if Al isn't up for doing them, we got our bumper stickers for Evil at Vistaprint - once you have a design, you can just do them online and I think you can then set it up so that others can buy them?
Old 10 Jul 2012, 12:09 (Ref:3104587)   #317
Greem
Veteran

United Kingdom
Quote:
Originally Posted by mini1400 View Post
Sorry I kept sending them onto you!
Eyefankewe

Quote:
Was quite busy on the radio on Becketts Out, that puddle in the centre of Becketts that never seemed to fully dry kept on catching them out...
It was the run-off from the grass and the South Circuit link apron where the medics sat that caused it as far as I could tell. The drain is at the bottom of the slope, driver's left, as they enter Hangar so all that water poured down the slope pretty much continuously from Friday morning to Saturday night. If enough cars went over it on full wets it dried out a *bit*, but then any break (for a red flag, for example) and it came straight back.

Certainly kept us busy
Old 10 Jul 2012, 12:24 (Ref:3104601)   #318
Woolley
Race Official
Veteran

England
Wolverhampton, England
Woolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Yep, I'll have a pair of those Had to get the car valet cleaned after 2000 as I couldn't get the mud out of it!
When I scrapped my old caravan, part of the dismantling process revealed the amoung of mud still caked around the chassis. I reckon it must have increased the unloaded weight of the van by 5%.
Old 10 Jul 2012, 13:47 (Ref:3104647)   #319
SouthportFC Fan
Racer

Wales
Southport
SouthportFC Fan should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridSouthportFC Fan should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridSouthportFC Fan should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Does anyone have the email of Martin Westcott-Wreford please, because the one he put on my list to receive the post photo doesn't seem to be working.

On that note, if any of you who did Post 4/Abbey Pit Exit/Abbey Pit Exit Plus wants a copy but didn't get around to leaving an email address, please PM me.
Old 10 Jul 2012, 15:31 (Ref:3104686)   #320
chezza
Veteran

England
Shrewton, Wiltshire
chezza should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridchezza should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridchezza should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Finally got the tent in and dry after putting it back up on Sunday evening when we got home, unluckily we didn't manage to get ours down before the heavens opened!

Thank you to everyone at Vale In, we had a good weekend despite the weather and I believe we were even on the telly sweeping the water away at the pit entrance.

Was a good weekend despite the mud, although a lot less social than usual because all the mud put you off walking round the site.

Still I'm sure I'll be back next year. Fingers crossed for a red hot one!
Old 10 Jul 2012, 15:45 (Ref:3104691)   #321
Alan.F
Racer

England
Bolton
Alan.F should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
. Oh and thanks to Landy Power - thanks to Tinkerbell, we got in and out fine and were able to help some others out...

Many thanks for taking my caravan to its home on thursday old tinkerbell did you proud
Old 10 Jul 2012, 16:02 (Ref:3104694)   #322
Alan.F
Racer

England
Bolton
Alan.F should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid

Old 10 Jul 2012, 17:01 (Ref:3104708)   #323
SouthportFC Fan
Racer

Wales
Southport
SouthportFC Fan should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridSouthportFC Fan should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridSouthportFC Fan should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Regarding turbo w-w's email, thanks for those who have sent suggestions. I've PMend him now.

Cheers
Old 10 Jul 2012, 18:47 (Ref:3104752)   #324
Barry P
Rookie

England
Seaford, East Sussex
Barry P should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by lucky scarf View Post
First time marshalling at the BGP and really enjoyed the weekend at Woodcote Inside. Great group of marshals at our humble little post.

Highlights of the weekend.... cars coming at us in both directions prior to the start of the Historic F1 race Saturday night as seven of them played follow my leader into the national pits, and the chants of anger from the crowd towards our team as they wanted us to take up tv repairs when the giant screen broke down on Sunday morning, the applause for the repair guys was one of the loudest cheers of the weekend.
James, great working with you guys, the 4 of us were a great team. you forgot to mention our rain shelter. The front of the TV artic, ok a bit greasy but at least it was dry under there.
Old 10 Jul 2012, 19:44 (Ref:3104785)   #325
Piglet
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan.F View Post
Many thanks for taking my caravan to its home on thursday old tinkerbell did you proud
You're welcome, thanks for the company