Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Baltic Touring Car Championship Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Touring Car Racing

Closed Thread

Old 21 Oct 2012, 16:42 (Ref:3155463)   #301
CarsCarsCars
Racer

United Kingdom
UK
CarsCarsCars should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Well. 2012s over. Lets get the downright silly rumours going...

Old 21 Oct 2012, 17:51 (Ref:3155489)   #302
Benny1664
Racer

Benny1664 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Please please please no Andy Neate! Yet again today he took out several other innocent drivers and still managed to finish the race whilst their cars were in bits and out for the rest of the day. Im sure he has more hits and bangs than any other driver in the series?!
Old 21 Oct 2012, 17:56 (Ref:3155491)   #303
Craner Curves
Veteran

United Kingdom
Kelso
Craner Curves should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridCraner Curves should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridCraner Curves should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridCraner Curves should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
More hits than Rock Around The Clock, more rolls than Joe's Cafe? To borrow Dave Brodie's infamous rant from years ago.

Neate will be back next year, there's an interview out there somewhere and he says he will return.
Old 21 Oct 2012, 20:02 (Ref:3155546)   #304
Icebaby
Veteran

Icebaby should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
[QUOTE=Craner Curves;3155491
Neate will be back next year, there's an interview out there somewhere and he says he will return.[/QUOTE]

I can't see him back at MG so where could he go?
Old 21 Oct 2012, 21:35 (Ref:3155593)   #305
Craner Curves
Veteran

United Kingdom
Kelso
Craner Curves should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridCraner Curves should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridCraner Curves should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridCraner Curves should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Icebaby View Post
I can't see him back at MG
Why not? He's got the money. 888 always took on a pay driver, whether they were good or not. Gavin Smith anyone?
Old 21 Oct 2012, 21:44 (Ref:3155599)   #306
jsmee
Veteran

England
Essex, UK
jsmee should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Craner Curves View Post
Why not? He's got the money. 888 always took on a pay driver, whether they were good or not. Gavin Smith anyone?
A shame they don't take on Dave Newsham. He could pay some cash if needed I'm sure with his sponsors!

Are there still rumours of a second 888 run MG team? Maybe Dave can get a drive with them? Could be a title contender in 2013.

James
Old 21 Oct 2012, 21:50 (Ref:3155603)   #307
Craner Curves
Veteran

United Kingdom
Kelso
Quote:
Originally Posted by jsmee View Post
A shame they don't take on Dave Newsham. He could pay some cash if needed I'm sure with his sponsors!

Are there still rumours of a second 888 run MG team? Maybe Dave can get a drive with them? Could be a title contender in 2013.

James
Not Andy Neate-levels of money I'm sure.
Old 21 Oct 2012, 21:54 (Ref:3155605)   #308
ckBrenneke
Rookie

ckBrenneke should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by jsmee View Post

James
Been saying for ages 888 should be talking to Newsham, but I think Dave's feelings towards JP at the moment might make that difficult, given his comments on Twitter.
Old 21 Oct 2012, 22:06 (Ref:3155609)   #309
Craner Curves
Veteran

United Kingdom
Kelso
Also, would Plato really want a competitive teammate? I don't think so. His priority is the drivers championship, he's not interested in team glory.
Old 21 Oct 2012, 22:15 (Ref:3155615)   #310
Mike Sheraton
Racer

United Kingdom
Hemel Hempstead
Mike Sheraton should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I think any driver would like an 'experienced' or 'quick' driver as a team mate when chasing the title...... Think about the 3 Honda's today in formation.. If plato had the pace to challenge I'm pretty sure atleast Neal, if not Jordan would have made it extremely hard for Plato to get anywhere near Flash.
Think Harvey and Soper in 92 against cleland.
Old 21 Oct 2012, 22:28 (Ref:3155622)   #311
Craner Curves
Veteran

United Kingdom
Kelso
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Sheraton View Post
I think any driver would like an 'experienced' or 'quick' driver as a team mate when chasing the title...... Think about the 3 Honda's today in formation.. If plato had the pace to challenge I'm pretty sure atleast Neal, if not Jordan would have made it extremely hard for Plato to get anywhere near Flash.
Think Harvey and Soper in 92 against cleland.
Look at his teammates since he had the frosty relationship with Muller in 2001.

2004: Huff (competition winner)
2005: Pickford (competition winner), Hines (paid for the drive)
2006: Turner and Thompson. Both were very competitive.
2007/08: Turner. Won races and has probably been the best teammate he's had since Huff.
2009: Jackson and Nash, although they weren't proper teammates with their own sponsors and Nash got him riled up after Silverstone that year for having the audacity to nudge him a few times.
2010/11: MacDowall (paid lots for the drive)
2012: Neate (paid lots and lots for the drive)

Only Seat were serious about the manufacturers and teams awards, which they won in 06 and 07 after having a good driver lineup. How they lost 08 with the TDi, I'll never know.
Old 22 Oct 2012, 16:22 (Ref:3155931)   #312
gregc
Veteran

United Kingdom
Bedford
gregc should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridgregc should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Tony Hughes to step down from driving next year, and hoping that they can get O'Neill out in the car - http://www.touringcartimes.com/article.php?id=8324

No real surprise there, but now it's official. Fair play to Tony, he's lived the dream (I know I'd give it a go if I had the money!) and now he's stepping aside and hopefully will be getting Paul out there where he should be. Good man.

Regarding MG - I can't take them seriously as a works team while they only field one competitive driver, just as I couldn't with Chevy the last couple of years. I understand why they're doing it this way but a works effort that doesn't put itself in a realistic position to at least challenge for the constructors title is half hearted at best.
Old 22 Oct 2012, 17:11 (Ref:3155953)   #313
markreeves
Racer

England
Hull
markreeves should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by gregc View Post
Regarding MG - I can't take them seriously as a works team while they only field one competitive driver
The reality is they are not really a works team, there is one works team in Btcc which is Honda, All MG have done is supply 2 shells and the rest is down to Tesco money, Tesco pay for Plato's drive, Neate pays for his own through Ceravision, no MG funding. It just looks a lot better from Alan Gows perspective to say there are 2 manufacturers as he doesnt want a repeat of '09 when Vauxhall were on there own and said one of their reason for leaving was lack of manufacturers as well as the financial times.
Old 22 Oct 2012, 17:19 (Ref:3155956)   #314
Craner Curves
Veteran

United Kingdom
Kelso
Quote:
Originally Posted by markreeves View Post
It just looks a lot better from Alan Gows perspective to say there are 2 manufacturers as he doesnt want a repeat of '09 when Vauxhall were on there own and said one of their reason for leaving was lack of manufacturers as well as the financial times.
Yep. All looks good for next year's propoganda leaflet doesn't it!
Old 22 Oct 2012, 17:25 (Ref:3155961)   #315
markreeves
Racer

England
Hull
Quote:
Originally Posted by Craner Curves View Post
Yep. All looks good for next year's propoganda leaflet doesn't it!
Haha indeed
Old 22 Oct 2012, 18:27 (Ref:3155990)   #316
Craner Curves
Veteran

United Kingdom
Kelso
Is anyone else thinking Tony Gilham bought the Insignias purely so he had something NGTC to race or offer to other drivers to rent? It was awful again yesterday.
Old 22 Oct 2012, 18:30 (Ref:3155992)   #317
trebor901
Racer

trebor901 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
i personally think the bad results and crashes or spins are more down to the driver....
Old 22 Oct 2012, 18:52 (Ref:3156000)   #318
Nigma
Rookie

Ireland
Sligo, Ireland
Nigma should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
He was fine in the Civic, midfield at best with the odd decent finish here and there (3rd at Donington) - so it has to be something to do with the Insignia. :/
Old 22 Oct 2012, 18:55 (Ref:3156002)   #319
trebor901
Racer

trebor901 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
But what? surely if it was something that big it would have been sorted by now
Old 22 Oct 2012, 18:59 (Ref:3156003)   #320
Benny1664
Racer

Benny1664 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I thought it was the car as thats what John Thorney seemed to say when he pulled out of racing it to concentrate on testing but if thats the case why would Gilham buy 2 of the cars from them? It does look evil handling though! Im just amazed that it always manages to spin without hitting other cars or the wall which is at least a little bonus!
Old 22 Oct 2012, 20:09 (Ref:3156032)   #321
Sodemo
Veteran

United Kingdom
Solihull, West Mids, UK
Sodemo has a real shot at the championship!Sodemo has a real shot at the championship!Sodemo has a real shot at the championship!Sodemo has a real shot at the championship!Sodemo has a real shot at the championship!
Don't know what it is, but that Insignia just really doesn't want to be a racing car. Not sure if its the looks, or the fact that its a fair bit bigger than the rest of the cars, but it just never really looks settled. Then again, I could say that of some of the other NGTC cars, they all kinda roll around and don't look like they want to corner without toppling over.
Old 22 Oct 2012, 20:44 (Ref:3156048)   #322
auroan
Veteran

auroan should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by markreeves View Post
The reality is they are not really a works team, there is one works team in Btcc which is Honda, All MG have done is supply 2 shells and the rest is down to Tesco money, Tesco pay for Plato's drive, Neate pays for his own through Ceravision, no MG funding. It just looks a lot better from Alan Gows perspective to say there are 2 manufacturers as he doesnt want a repeat of '09 when Vauxhall were on there own and said one of their reason for leaving was lack of manufacturers as well as the financial times.
So you know that for a fact do you ? Do you work for MG or 888 ? Were you there when the contracts were signed ?

Why the heck would the team spend the fridays of race weekends at MG dealerships pushing the PR wagon ? Why would MG have a mobile salesroom with models from their range at each event ?

Yes... Tesco are putting a lot of money in.... But MG are doing more than just giving 888 two shells.
Old 22 Oct 2012, 20:48 (Ref:3156053)   #323
jsmee
Veteran

England
Essex, UK
jsmee should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
To be fair to Tony, I heard an interview on the tannoys at Brands where he said there are 1/2 major issues which need correcting which he hasn't had the time to sort pre-Brands. He knows what they are and will be replaced over the Winter. He only got the cars around a week before Brands, there's a limit to what can be done!

James
Old 22 Oct 2012, 21:26 (Ref:3156071)   #324
CarsCarsCars
Racer

United Kingdom
UK
CarsCarsCars should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
The Insignia looked quite good at Snetterton.

Plus, the weather was crappy. Lets remember, the MG is stunning in the dry but damn average in the wet. So it follows that the Insignia could be average in the dry but terrible in the wet.
Old 22 Oct 2012, 21:29 (Ref:3156072)   #325
markreeves
Racer

England
Hull
Quote:
Originally Posted by auroan View Post
So you know that for a fact do you ? Do you work for MG or 888 ? Were you there when the contracts were signed ?

Why the heck would the team spend the fridays of race weekends at MG dealerships pushing the PR wagon ? Why would MG have a mobile salesroom with models from their range at each event ?

Yes... Tesco are putting a lot of money in.... But MG are doing more than just giving 888 two shells.
No I don't work for either but id say that it is common knowledge really that MG are not putting much money in the pot, My guess (and it is a guess) is that the deal was we will supply you the cars as long as you let us use the big name driver for marketing purposes, and as for the mobile showroom, during 2008 I remember BMW had a stand with several of their cars on and the closest they were to a works team was Mat Jacksons RBM supported 320si
Closed Thread