Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 5 Jul 2020, 14:53 (Ref:3985980)   #301
karting
Racer

karting should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Honestly the first time in years I cheered out loud for F1 in years after seeing the graphic of Lando Hamilton time split
Old 5 Jul 2020, 14:53 (Ref:3985982)   #302
ascarracinguk
Veteran

ascarracinguk has a real shot at the championship!ascarracinguk has a real shot at the championship!ascarracinguk has a real shot at the championship!ascarracinguk has a real shot at the championship!ascarracinguk has a real shot at the championship!
Yeh think Martin was right....Lewis couldn’t really do anything there but on reflection the penalty was harsh but probably correct. Just one of those things. Amazing race though, amazing what a bit of reliability issues does to spice things up. Properly chuffed for Lando
Old 5 Jul 2020, 14:55 (Ref:3985987)   #303
Richard C
Veteran

Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Congrats to Bottas and Norris. I think both Albon and Hamilton both came out poorly in that incident. Albon should have waited. It was risky, nearly made it work. Hamilton didn't leave room.

My son recently started playing F1 2019 on his PC so he has become interested in F1. He has also been following Lando on social media. He picked a good first F1 race to watch. We were both cheering Lando on at the end.

Richard
Old 5 Jul 2020, 15:07 (Ref:3985992)   #304
pirenzo
Veteran

United Kingdom
London, UK
pirenzo should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridpirenzo should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridpirenzo should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Well worth the wait, I think.

Great for Bottas, frustrating for Hamilton because I think he was definitely faster. Really happy for Norris and McLaren. Shame for Albon and Perez, but that's racing. Leclerc was the driver of the day for me though, you don't drag a car like that to a podium unless you absolutely maximise what you have.
Old 5 Jul 2020, 15:09 (Ref:3985994)   #305
S griffin
Veteran

S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!
Just listened to the second half of the race on the radio. Sounds like a crazy race.

Great win for Bottas. Shame that the podium was affected by a penalty, but take nothing away from Leclerc, who really dragged that Ferrari up there and Norris, who really came alive at the end.

Can’t wait to see the C4 highlights
Old 5 Jul 2020, 15:11 (Ref:3985995)   #306
Knowlesy
20KPINAL

Knowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
I just thought it was a racing incident. Hamilton made a marginal error and Albon was just really desperate to get by. A really annoying incident, but I don't agree with the penalty.

The last time they had an incident it was blatantly obvious Hamilton was at fault and I am obviously happy to see things like that penalised.

On the bright side, it does seem like McLaren have found the formula for podiums: just put those two together on track at the end of a race.
Old 5 Jul 2020, 15:18 (Ref:3986001)   #307
chillibowl
Veteran

Canada
winnipeg, canada
chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Knowlesy View Post
On the bright side, it does seem like McLaren have found the formula for podiums: just put those two together on track at the end of a race.
really does highlight the different packages between Mclaren and the Renault factory team.

And makes you wonder what would be if they had the Merc power unit this year
Old 5 Jul 2020, 15:18 (Ref:3986002)   #308
karting
Racer

karting should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Just read online that Netflix were in the Red Bull and McLaren Garages for this weekends race.

Can’t wait for drive to Survive season 3 ep1
Old 5 Jul 2020, 15:21 (Ref:3986003)   #309
Knowlesy
20KPINAL

Knowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by karting View Post
Just read online that Netflix were in the Red Bull and McLaren Garages for this weekends race.

Can’t wait for drive to Survive season 3 ep1
That probably explains Horner's frantic weekend.

Should be a cracking episode watching him repeatedly going up and down to the stewards room, interspersed with harrowing and immensely socially awkward footage of him trying to interact with his staff. And who would bet against a cheeky dig at Cyril Abiteboul?
Old 5 Jul 2020, 15:45 (Ref:3986010)   #310
steve nielsen
Veteran

Netherlands
Rotterdam- Holland
steve nielsen should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam43 View Post
Don't think Red Bull are out of this just yet. They could still appeal the race result.
get over it, Lewis ignored yellow flags

If the stewards had done their work correctly Red Bull would not have to appeal
Old 5 Jul 2020, 15:56 (Ref:3986011)   #311
bella
Race Official
Veteran

France
bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by chillibowl View Post
And makes you wonder what would be if they had the Merc power unit this year
retired?
Old 5 Jul 2020, 16:08 (Ref:3986013)   #312
Moneyseeker
Veteran

Moneyseeker is going for a new lap record!Moneyseeker is going for a new lap record!Moneyseeker is going for a new lap record!Moneyseeker is going for a new lap record!Moneyseeker is going for a new lap record!Moneyseeker is going for a new lap record!
Great mixes up race, fab old school circuit and reliablity issues showing teams are fallable after all!

Shocker from Vettel, another in a long list of examples of his poor racecraft, he just cannot race wheel to wheel. He barely made any progress against weaker cars after his incident and trickled into the points via other retirements.
Old 5 Jul 2020, 16:22 (Ref:3986015)   #313
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by steve nielsen View Post
get over it, Lewis ignored yellow flags

If the stewards had done their work correctly Red Bull would not have to appeal
I was never under it. It was a joke Sorry, I didn’t mean to upset.

I agree BTW, ignore (or miss) yellow flags then get a penalty.
Old 5 Jul 2020, 16:50 (Ref:3986019)   #314
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Knowlesy View Post
I just thought it was a racing incident. Hamilton made a marginal error and Albon was just really desperate to get by. A really annoying incident, but I don't agree with the penalty.
I see this. Stuff like this can happen when you have racing. It happened with Hamilton and Albon, but not Norris and Leclerc or Norris and Sainz (thankfully for McLaren).

On the other hand, penalising it does mean it encourages drivers to always give room to each other and could promote more racing in the future and I see that as a reason to issue a penalty.

Edit: https://www.autosport.com/f1/news/15...ntial-race-win
Includes drivers comments on whether it was a racing incident or not. Albon not making a song and dance about it, but it obviously down about it.

Last edited by Adam43; 5 Jul 2020 at 16:56.
Old 5 Jul 2020, 17:09 (Ref:3986020)   #315
Knowlesy
20KPINAL

I think Albon might reassess the incident relative to Brazil 2019. That was a far graver error on Hamilton’s part imo.

I am not too upset about the penalty, though I think it is harsh it was one of those marginal calls where you can make a good argument either way. Both drivers lost out disproportionately, but Albon especially so.

But it is possible I would be harsher on others if they were involved in a similar incident, simply because I believe Hamilton to be a clean racer and I am probably a little biased also.
Old 5 Jul 2020, 17:19 (Ref:3986022)   #316
Taxi645
Veteran

Netherlands
Taxi645 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridTaxi645 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
To people who say Albon should have waited, I was a ballsy move. One we all love to see. If he wouldn't have been punched out everyone would have said what a brilliant move. If you want to win (and he had all the reason to believe he could being on much newer soft tyres), you need to go for the gap. Overtaking is not easy with these cars especially with the Mercedes having the base pace advantage.

I'm in favour of strict and regular penalties for not leaving room as required by the rules. If drivers get enough of those, they will learn to obey them eventually.
Constructive discussion: A conversion where participants are maximally open to yet critical of each others (and their own) arguments, with the intend of enhancing the knowledge, understanding and/or handling of it's subject.
Old 5 Jul 2020, 17:22 (Ref:3986023)   #317
Moneyseeker
Veteran

Moneyseeker is going for a new lap record!Moneyseeker is going for a new lap record!Moneyseeker is going for a new lap record!Moneyseeker is going for a new lap record!Moneyseeker is going for a new lap record!Moneyseeker is going for a new lap record!
Outside passing moves are often tricky, the car being passed often can't see you and they are also moving on a trajectory to the outside us they unwind out of the exit.

Not excusing anyone, but Brundle has often commented on the lack of rear visibiity in current F1 cars. Personally, I think Albon should have been more patient and waited for a better opportunity, he was on fresh softs and would of had DRS had he waited.
Old 5 Jul 2020, 17:27 (Ref:3986024)   #318
gert
Veteran

Belgium
Antwerp
gert is going for a new world record!gert is going for a new world record!gert is going for a new world record!gert is going for a new world record!gert is going for a new world record!gert is going for a new world record!gert is going for a new world record!
I see why Albon went for it.
If he waited any longer, he would robably regret not having done it any sooner as that might have cost him the change to also get past Bottas.

As for the penalty, it's a bit harsh but I am OK with it.
I just hope every similar move from every other driver at every other track will be punished similarly, regardless of who the aggressor is and who the victim.
Old 5 Jul 2020, 17:59 (Ref:3986030)   #319
Lancsbreaker
Veteran

England
Padiham, Lancashire
Lancsbreaker has a real shot at the podium!Lancsbreaker has a real shot at the podium!Lancsbreaker has a real shot at the podium!Lancsbreaker has a real shot at the podium!
Tend to agree it was slightly harsh, but then again Mercedes slipped up in not advising Bottas to let Hamilton through to try to build enough gap......

Still, not bad for what some Max fanboy claimed was a "snoozefest" once he was out...
Old 5 Jul 2020, 18:03 (Ref:3986031)   #320
NaBUru38
Veteran

Uruguay
Las Canteras, Uruguay
NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!
Hamilton was side by side with Albon, and pushed him off track. I think he should have been given a drivethough.
Old 5 Jul 2020, 18:09 (Ref:3986032)   #321
chillibowl
Veteran

Canada
winnipeg, canada
chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lancsbreaker View Post
Tend to agree it was slightly harsh, but then again Mercedes slipped up in not advising Bottas to let Hamilton through to try to build enough gap......
That and im surprised ham didnt pit. I guess Merc were in damage limitation mode but surely one of their drivers (typically the one in 2nd) should pit to cover the driver/team running 3rd pitting for fresh rubber was the safe move. Always beware the undercut right?

Not the first time we have seen Merc struggle with strategy in real time.

That said i dont know if ham had a fresh pair of softs left???

Anyways, for me it was slight but i lean towards racing incident.

Although, while i said earlier i thought Albon optimistic with the attempt, upon further thought surely the same is true for Ham. He should have realized he lacked the ability to stave of Albon for long either their or in the following drs zone.

I imagine it was a frustrating day for the 6x wdc and perhaps it showed in his defence.
Old 5 Jul 2020, 18:15 (Ref:3986034)   #322
Robert
Racer

Robert should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lancsbreaker View Post

Still, not bad for what some Max fanboy claimed was a "snoozefest" once he was out...
That was me. I'm not a Max fanboy by any stretch of the imagination but at that point it looked like the 2 Merceds would wander off into the distance. Thankfully that's not what happened and it turned out a very good race to watch.
Old 5 Jul 2020, 19:25 (Ref:3986039)   #323
peebee2
Veteran

peebee2 User had had their licence endorsedpeebee2 User had had their licence endorsed
Quote:
Originally Posted by NaBUru38 View Post
Hamilton was side by side with Albon, and pushed him off track. I think he should have been given a drivethough.
I’m not sure LH front wheel whacking AA rear wheel is really side by side. LH was supposed to give a car-width room and he didn’t - hence the penalty.
Old 5 Jul 2020, 19:49 (Ref:3986042)   #324
GT6
Veteran

England
MAIDSTONE, KENT, ENGLAND
GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!
Well much better race than i was expecting due to car failures, incidents and silly driving. Very sad that Hamilton says he wants to help other BAME drivers but ends up for the second time depriving the only other BAME driver of a podium and points by his rather poor awareness of other cars being faster than him. Great result for Bottas, Leclerc and Norris
Old 5 Jul 2020, 19:50 (Ref:3986043)   #325
tbtstt
Veteran

United Kingdom
Redhill, England
tbtstt should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridtbtstt should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I personally thought it was a racing incident as well: and very different in nature to the Hamilton/Albon contact in Brazil.

Albon was definitely quicker, but the move was high risk and unnecessary. Hamilton never came off the steering (and it sounded like he was off throttle), so I think a punishment was uncalled for.

Surprised Mercedes didn't use team tactics to keep Hamilton on the podium.