Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Sportscar & GT Racing > North American Racing

Old 27 Jun 2004, 22:04 (Ref:1018166)   #301
Mags
Veteran

Mags should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
No kidding!! You should have seen Jorg's face with 5 minutes to go when I simply asked him "have you ever won at Le Mans before?" I thought he was going to plotz!

Oh, Lucas was a bad boy today, apparently he smacked into someone. I don't think he did. But he said "sorry"!!
"I have a tendency to let my mind wander a bit during some of the yellow flag conditions; I look around, check out people in the stands, things like that" Darren Law - Lizard Extrordinaire and he's gonna be GT Leader and Brumos Porsche driver!
Old 27 Jun 2004, 23:58 (Ref:1018235)   #302
Porsche GT1
Rookie

Porsche GT1 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
The car also raced at Sears Point once but when out because of a broken gear shift and went out at sebring that year becuase of broken supension
Old 28 Jun 2004, 00:02 (Ref:1018237)   #303
Mags
Veteran

And didn't BOTH AJR cars last year have gearbox problems in Mid-Ohio?? Right before Laguna Seca??
"I have a tendency to let my mind wander a bit during some of the yellow flag conditions; I look around, check out people in the stands, things like that" Darren Law - Lizard Extrordinaire and he's gonna be GT Leader and Brumos Porsche driver!
Old 28 Jun 2004, 00:24 (Ref:1018242)   #304
dretceterini
Veteran

dretceterini should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I think the ALMS is in trouble. LeMans was a fiasco as far as entries, and it's in Europe, where most of the cars are! No Ferraris and only 4 prototypes and a Porsche parade in GT don't make for a very exciting race to me.
Old 28 Jun 2004, 00:32 (Ref:1018248)   #305
Mags
Veteran

I won't argue with you on those points. But the purists say "it' Le MANS" and put thier noses in the air. I was stunned at the small amount of entries today! Half the field seems gone.
Old 28 Jun 2004, 01:53 (Ref:1018270)   #306
GT1
Racer

GT1 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I agree. The Audi parade has been going on for five years now. AER can't get an engine to last. I have heard that Dyson have solved their reliability problems about as many times as Rob has cancelled his intentions at Le Mans.

You know who is going to win in GTS. The GT is the best battle but also the one that usually is considered the "lowest" class.

25 cars or so and knowing who is going to win before you get there doesn't equal great fan interest. I used to be an ALMS cheerleader. I don't like Grand Am so don't bring that up, but I feel the ALMS is about as exciting as watching paint dry.

Last edited by GT1; 28 Jun 2004 at 01:56.
Old 28 Jun 2004, 01:56 (Ref:1018272)   #307
Mags
Veteran

I totally enjoyed the GT battle today! And I thought the pass Mowlem made at the end was brilliant!!! I ignore the prototyes.

And you should watch Gramd Am, because it's really great racing. I gave it a try this year and really enjoy it.
Old 28 Jun 2004, 02:10 (Ref:1018278)   #308
GT1
Racer

I do watch Grand Am. Watch it all the time. Doesn't mean I like the DPs. They are slow, ugly, and technically extremley limited. That has been said 100,000,000 time but its the truth.

Neither sports car series is worth anything. ALMS lost all it's momentum last year (IMO) when they cancelled yet TWO more events before the season even started. You can't plan a progam, get a sponsor, test, on the hope that a race MIGHT actually be ran. They have cancelled enough races to fill a season and I think that was really when the competitors and maybe some fans said "enough is enough".
Old 28 Jun 2004, 04:02 (Ref:1018312)   #309
dretceterini
Veteran

I've been saying for a long time that the only way to make the ALMS important is to make at least some of the races part of an international championship.
Old 28 Jun 2004, 04:04 (Ref:1018313)   #310
Mags
Veteran

Well, in a way it is because of Le Mans.
Old 28 Jun 2004, 04:25 (Ref:1018317)   #311
jmw15160
Rookie

jmw15160 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Well, I'm home after a great weekend of racing at Mid Ohio. I took quite a bit of shots and thought I would share them with you all.

http://f2.pg.photos.yahoo.com/jmw15160

edited just to make the link directly active

Last edited by Fab; 28 Jun 2004 at 05:39.
Old 28 Jun 2004, 04:26 (Ref:1018319)   #312
Mags
Veteran

Quote:
Originally posted by jmw15160
Well, I'm home after a great weekend of racing at Mid Ohio. I took quite a bit of shots and thought I would share them with you all.

[URL=http://f2.pg.photos.yahoo.com/jmw15160[/URL]
Thank You!
Old 28 Jun 2004, 05:17 (Ref:1018338)   #313
CorvetteC6R
Rookie

CorvetteC6R should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Awesome picks! Good to see somebody not ***** and complain about the race! Glad you enjoyed it!
Old 28 Jun 2004, 06:02 (Ref:1018355)   #314
jhansen
Veteran

United States
California
jhansen should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridjhansen should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridjhansen should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I thought the racing was great myself! Yeah the field was a bit disappointing, but quantity does not guarentee quality. Never has, never will. NASCAR has poisoned the minds of race fans in that respect. The only downer for me was that the #16 Dyson car was not able to battle the Champion Audi. But there were some great battles and some nice surprises. And the fields will get some additions as the season progresses.
Old 28 Jun 2004, 12:01 (Ref:1018673)   #315
GT1
Racer

Is there any chance that AER can either build a new engine or be replaced? I have heard enough of the "we have solved the problems", only to see it blow up again and again.

I have finally given up on that engine ever being a serious, consistent threat.
Old 28 Jun 2004, 13:04 (Ref:1018772)   #316
veeten
Veteran

United States
Temple Hills, Md.
veeten should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridveeten should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
... and folks wondered why Jon Field gave up on it and decided, during the last rebuild of their Lola B160, to go with the Judd KVA675 3.4L V8 instead.
Old 28 Jun 2004, 14:29 (Ref:1018879)   #317
paul-collins
Veteran

Canada
Mosport on a good day
paul-collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridpaul-collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridpaul-collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by Mags
It is horrible, isn't it? Marc will be the first to say he made a mistake, I'm sure.
According to pit notes, Marc called it a "racing incident." Did he ever apologize?
... Since all men live in darkness, who believes something is not a test of whether it is true or false. I have spent years trying to get people to ask simple questions: What is the evidence, and what does it mean?

-Bill James
Old 28 Jun 2004, 15:21 (Ref:1018949)   #318
Tim Northcutt
Veteran

United States
Indianapolis
Tim Northcutt should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTim Northcutt should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTim Northcutt should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTim Northcutt should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
A FEW NOTES FROM MID-OHIO:

Saw the Lambos going through tech Friday....they are beautiful...

The Panoz GT was a rocket.....only other GT that was in its league this past weekend was Flying Lizard #45...and the #45 was in a class of its own among the GT's this weekend.....

For most of the weekend, the Dysons were very equal to the Champion Audi.....

I wouldn't hesitate to say that a Dyson car will be a good bet to win at Lime Rock in the next race....

The Lambo did belch smoke before entering corners this past weekend, and they still have some work to do...but they will be competitive as time goes on...and it will be only a matter of time...

I'll be posting pictures I took sometime during the week....

Overall, a good racing weekend that I thoroughly enjoyed.....

One American Open Wheel Series!
Old 28 Jun 2004, 15:27 (Ref:1018957)   #319
Fab
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

European Union
Hicksville...
Fab has a real shot at the championship!Fab has a real shot at the championship!Fab has a real shot at the championship!Fab has a real shot at the championship!Fab has a real shot at the championship!Fab has a real shot at the championship!
Tim, any idea of the attendance on the spot ?

What was the feeling of the public about the field ?
Old 28 Jun 2004, 15:32 (Ref:1018966)   #320
Mags
Veteran

Quote:
Originally posted by paul-collins
According to pit notes, Marc called it a "racing incident." Did he ever apologize?
http://www.racinglines.com/index.php?id=119

Erhem, no.
Old 28 Jun 2004, 15:51 (Ref:1018988)   #321
Tim Northcutt
Veteran

United States
Indianapolis
Tim Northcutt should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTim Northcutt should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTim Northcutt should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTim Northcutt should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Looked like a good crowd....the mounds had many people on them....

Since I'm not that familiar with Mid-Ohio, I don't really have a very good "guestimate" to give you, but judging by the traffic and the spectators I could see on the best viewing areas, my best shot would be 25,000 plus people there....

The people sitting around me were'nt bothered by the "car count" once the action started, but they were talking about it prior to the race....

But the action on the track...especially the Dyson-Champion action, plus the racing in GT most of the day and the battle with the Saleen, the Lambo and Flying Lizard in the last laps were all hot topics....

The main items that drew the most comments:

Dyson's speed all weekend long

The pace and deep, muscular sound of the Panoz and how that will bode for GT class as they get even better...they accelerated out of corners quicker than the Lambo....and clearly quicker than other GTs...

The Look of the Lambos, but there were some who didn't like it's high-pitched song as it ran at speed..

The ugly Green & Silver Livery on the Panoz....

Old 28 Jun 2004, 19:33 (Ref:1019249)   #322
dretceterini
Veteran

Quote:
Originally posted by CorvetteC6R
Awesome picks! Good to see somebody not ***** and complain about the race! Glad you enjoyed it!
It seems the people that don't complain just except the way things are because it's all we have. What those who do complain realize is that things could be a lot better than they are.
Old 29 Jun 2004, 18:40 (Ref:1020453)   #323
Liz
Veteran

Liz should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridLiz should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
There are people who don't complain about the racing because -- SURPRISE! -- we like it. (I have been told by condescending folk, the last time at Mid Ohio during breakfast, that "Canadians don't know the difference between one kind of car and another, so they will show up whether it's Grand Am or ALMS, or whether its IRL or CART -- they are so glad to have anything to do up there." Meaning we don't have NA$CAR ... )

There were a lot of families attending and a number of the people I talked to are Mid-Ohio regulars who come to everything that runs at that track. There were a lot of families there and the children seemed to love the cars too.

I did a lot of work with the SWC this weekend and as many people were there to see them as to see the "Big Cars" run. We were all overjoyed to see the new regs coming in that will allow the forced induction cars to race -- you will be seeing Mini-Coopers in SWC before too long ...
Old 30 Jun 2004, 16:11 (Ref:1021624)   #324
Tim Northcutt
Veteran

United States
Indianapolis
Not only did I meet locals, but I also met others who came in from various surrounding states (like myself)....

and I also saw lots of families, where the kids were running to the fence to watch the cars run...not to chase soccer balls around while their parents watched the racing....

They had a very good crowd of people who wanted to be there...and enjoyed the full weekend of action...