Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Barn Finds > IRL Indycar Series

Old 7 Dec 2004, 12:59 (Ref:1173392)   #301
rustyfan
Veteran

Sweden
rustyfan should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridrustyfan should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridrustyfan should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by N I Tram
Also, dare I say that he isn't the most marketable driver, considering his Arabic background and confusingly-pronounced surname (to your average American, especially your average NASCAR fan)?
I have to say that I have yet to hear a commentator - American or otherwise - pronounce his surname in any other way you say "said" as the word itself is pronounced (rather than perhaps pronouncing it in a more "arabic" way).

As for his background, I dunno - I've never thought about him having an Arabic background, both considering what I mentioned above and also because he has seemed as American as any other stock-car driver (which might have something to do with him being born in California back in the 60's).

Last edited by rustyfan; 7 Dec 2004 at 13:00.
Old 8 Dec 2004, 06:26 (Ref:1174074)   #302
marcus
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

Australia
Australia
marcus has a real shot at the podium!marcus has a real shot at the podium!marcus has a real shot at the podium!marcus has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by rustyfan

Also, according to the IndyStar, Team Rahal-Letterman Racing will announce its three-car line-up tomorrow Wednesday, and the drivers will be, as expected, Buddy Rice, Vitor Meira and Danica Patrick.
Nothing on the rahal website at present.

has anything been announced officially ?
Old 8 Dec 2004, 06:57 (Ref:1174083)   #303
rustyfan
Veteran

Sweden
rustyfan should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridrustyfan should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridrustyfan should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by marcus
Nothing on the rahal website at present.

has anything been announced officially ?
Note that you are around 15(?) or so hours ahead of the US... Heck, they have barely gone to bed around the time you get up
Old 8 Dec 2004, 07:07 (Ref:1174088)   #304
rustyfan
Veteran

Sweden
I just saw the following in Curt Cavin's Q&A section at the IndyStar;

Quote:
Question: What is the likelihood of Michel Jourdain Jr. landing in the third seat at Fernandez Racing? Will Gigante continue with their sponsorship? Where is Scott Sharp and the Delphi sponsorship most likely to end up? (Steve from Fishers, Ind.)

Answer: As of Monday, Dec. 6, Fernandez Racing is negotiating with Delphi to bring Scott Sharp into its fold -- making in a three-car team for the full season. Contracts could be signed as early as Thursday or Friday.

Both sides had hoped to have the deal finalized in time for Sharp to test with Adrian Fernandez this week at Homestead, but it didn't happen. Panther (with Tomas Scheckter) and Andretti Green Racing (with Tony Kanaan) will test at Homestead with Firestone.
Might've been posted already, but I hadn't seen it before. Sharp in a Fernandez-car should be interesting I think - it's now a proven team and we all know Sharp can win races. Here's hoping the deal comes through
Old 10 Dec 2004, 05:38 (Ref:1175858)   #305
Snrub
Veteran

Canada
London, Ontario, Canada
Snrub should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridSnrub should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I completely agree with Tim Northcutt that some drivers with a road background take a while to get use to ovals or aren't as strong as when turning left as well. Bourdais is a pretty good example. We all know he's incredible, but he's yet to put in a decent performance on a non-foot to the floor through the corner oval race. I hate to always harp on the same point, but for the real drivers to be seperated from the rest there needs to be a substantial difference between corner and straight speeds.

As for the "fairness" of Kannan, Franchitti, Castroneves, Manning and Dixon getting top IRL rides, each one of them had to prove themselves in non-top teams in CC, I fail to see how this is relavent to a IPS driver getting a shot at the IRL.
Old 10 Dec 2004, 06:44 (Ref:1175875)   #306
marcus
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

Australia
Australia
marcus has a real shot at the podium!marcus has a real shot at the podium!marcus has a real shot at the podium!marcus has a real shot at the podium!
wow the Sharp thing sounds Interesting.

I bet GP Racer is happy about that

Scott is closing in on his 100th start and im sure is capable of winning races so I wish him luck with this alledged deal.
Old 10 Dec 2004, 21:19 (Ref:1176558)   #307
GP Racer
Veteran

United States
"The Big Apple"
GP Racer should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridGP Racer should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by marcus
wow the Sharp thing sounds Interesting.

I bet GP Racer is happy about that

Scott is closing in on his 100th start and im sure is capable of winning races so I wish him luck with this alledged deal.
Yes I am marcus!

Scott is now the elder statesman of the IRL, and after all this time, he is deserving of a competitive seat in a competitive team. He's a proven winner, and I will be very happy to see him running up front and kicking some butt, (especially Ganassi's!) and most importantly, proving some people on this forum wrong!

Danica Patrick
Old 10 Dec 2004, 23:26 (Ref:1176655)   #308
Kicking-back
Veteran

Kicking-back should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridKicking-back should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Much as I'd like to be proved wrong, I feel Scott Sharp was feeling the pace last year - and his best days are behind him.
Old 13 Dec 2004, 12:00 (Ref:1178160)   #309
rustyfan
Veteran

Sweden
Crash.Net had this posted yesterday:

Quote:
Toyota F1 test driver Ryan Briscoe is expected to sign a two-year deal with the Chip Ganassi IRL squad at Sebring on Monday.

According to reports by Australasian Motorsport News, Briscoe only has the final details of a two year contract to finalise, and this is expected to be completed at the Sebring test.

Briscoe had been one of many names linked to Jordan in Formula One, with the Silverstone-based squad getting Toyota powerplants for 2005. This deal, however, was not conditional on Briscoe getting a drive.
I guess it remains to be seen whether there is an announcement later today or not.
Old 14 Dec 2004, 04:42 (Ref:1178893)   #310
JohnSSC
Veteran

Slovenia
Pittsburgh
JohnSSC has a real shot at the podium!JohnSSC has a real shot at the podium!JohnSSC has a real shot at the podium!JohnSSC has a real shot at the podium!JohnSSC has a real shot at the podium!
If I may, Boris' difficulties in securing a steady "Top" ride and sponsorship have more to do (imho) with his willingness to shoot from the lip rather than his ethnicity.

He is a sort of Robby Gordon with less talent. And less control of his mouth.

As far as Scott Sharp being past it, if I remember seeing his dad race in his heyday then that means I am....
"He's still a young guy and I always think, slightly morbidly, the last thing you learn is how to die and at the end of the day everybody learns every single day." - The Ever-Cheerfull Ron Dennis on Lewis Hamilton.
Old 14 Dec 2004, 14:31 (Ref:1179234)   #311
fazzaz
Racer

United States
Appalachia, USA
fazzaz has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
I'm not sure how Boris Said acquired "Arabic" descent. His father, also named Boris but known as Bob, was born in New York, of Russian extraction. He was a somewhat well known Formula One and sports car racer. Boris was born in California. I know Boris well enough to think that some of you are underestimating his talent, although this doesn't automatically make him odds-on to succeed in NASCAR.

Another son of an American F1 driver, Derek Hill, has announced that he will test with Cheever's Red Bull team at Homestead. No further plans are announced, but it will get his rookie test out of the way. Derek has raced in F3000.
Old 14 Dec 2004, 16:10 (Ref:1179244)   #312
Kicking-back
Veteran

Kicking-back should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridKicking-back should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Derek Hill's got his father's surname, but not his talent, judging by his F3000 efforts.
Old 14 Dec 2004, 17:07 (Ref:1179301)   #313
BootsOntheSide
Veteran

England
Eastbourne, England
BootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
KB's spot on about Derek Hill. He was a back-marker at DAMS while Bourdais won races in the other car (admittedly with one year's experience), and struggled after that. If Red Bull are to run a third car alongside Barron and Carpentier, there are plenty of better candidates, many of them also American.

Regarding Boris Said, I always thought it was more correctly pronouced as 'Sigh-eed', like the name Saeed, but there you go. Guys who go into NASCAR without oval experience seem to find it hard, but this is way off-topic.
Old 15 Dec 2004, 12:04 (Ref:1179924)   #314
N I Tram
Veteran

N I Tram should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I'd be more upset if Derek Hill gets a ride than if Enge or Briscoe do. He's showed no evidence of any real talent, so unless he has a miraculously good oval test, he'd be a bad choice.
Old 15 Dec 2004, 12:34 (Ref:1179949)   #315
climb
Veteran

St Pierre and Miquelon
closer than you thought!
climb should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridclimb should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
well, that's not really a matter of "getting" a ride.
If you have enough money to bring the seat is yours.

Last edited by climb; 15 Dec 2004 at 12:35.
Old 15 Dec 2004, 14:34 (Ref:1180104)   #316
BootsOntheSide
Veteran

England
Eastbourne, England
BootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
I didn't think Derek had, or would be bringing, any sponsorship though - Red Bull could feasibly back 3 cars for 2005.
Old 17 Dec 2004, 09:39 (Ref:1181702)   #317
rustyfan
Veteran

Sweden
GrandPrix.com has the following posted today;

Quote:
IRL tests for F1 hopefuls

With the chances available to drivers in Formula 1 now almost entirely dependent on money, the men who cannot afford to buy a drive are having to look elsewhere and a number have been looking to the Indy Racing League. Ryan Briscoe has a deal with Target Chip Ganassi Racing and former Jaguar Racing test driver Andre Lotterer, who has been racing in Japan of late, will this week test for the Panther Racing IRL team. It is also worth noting that Eddie Cheever has tested Red Bull hopeful Scott Speed and says he would like to run the American in a few races this year. This would be a surprise given that Red Bull has been teaching Speed the ropes in Europe and has high hopes that he will one day be the first American driver in a generation to get a regular seat in Formula 1.
In regards to Scott Speed, I just have to say...

NOOOOO!! Get the HELL away from him Cheever! BACK OFF!
Old 17 Dec 2004, 10:11 (Ref:1181717)   #318
Kicking-back
Veteran

That's speculative I think - Red Bull has said Scott Speed will be full time in GP2 next year.
Old 17 Dec 2004, 10:35 (Ref:1181731)   #319
rustyfan
Veteran

Sweden
I'm aware of that, but that Cheever apparently has tested Scott Speed is bad enough.
Old 17 Dec 2004, 20:22 (Ref:1182096)   #320
GP Racer
Veteran

United States
"The Big Apple"
GP Racer should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridGP Racer should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Wow, Andre Lotterer!

First Ryan Briscoe, now Andre Lotterer? I can hardly contain my excitement! Better get my tickets now, before there all sold out!

As much as I'm an IRL fan, I don't want to see Scott speed come here. He is our greatest hope for F1, and I'd hate to see him take this detour. If it doesn't work out, then I'd gladly like to him come over, but not now. I hope your right KB...

Danica Patrick
Old 18 Dec 2004, 01:57 (Ref:1182300)   #321
JohnSSC
Veteran

Slovenia
Pittsburgh
JohnSSC has a real shot at the podium!JohnSSC has a real shot at the podium!JohnSSC has a real shot at the podium!JohnSSC has a real shot at the podium!JohnSSC has a real shot at the podium!
There is just something about Eddie Cheever - it is like his Team is a Black Hole where the gravitational vortex takes in talent and leaves, well, nothing....
"He's still a young guy and I always think, slightly morbidly, the last thing you learn is how to die and at the end of the day everybody learns every single day." - The Ever-Cheerfull Ron Dennis on Lewis Hamilton.
Old 18 Dec 2004, 04:44 (Ref:1182339)   #322
Morethebetter
Rookie

Morethebetter should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnSSC
There is just something about Eddie Cheever - it is like his Team is a Black Hole where the gravitational vortex takes in talent and leaves, well, nothing....
yeah, that Buddy Rice sure didn't do much after his stint with Cheever...

as summarized here http://www.members.aol.com/openwheeler1/OWStories.pdf
Cheever could be looking at Scott Speed for the road courses and Derek Hill on the ovals - that would be sweet
Old 18 Dec 2004, 12:31 (Ref:1182498)   #323
BootsOntheSide
Veteran

England
Eastbourne, England
It'd be interesting to have 'ringers' for road courses, especially if Scott's drives are in addition to his GP2 duties to help him gain experience (do any of those races clash with GP2 races?)
Old 18 Dec 2004, 13:11 (Ref:1182538)   #324
rustyfan
Veteran

Sweden
Hmm, must admit I didn't think of that scenario - perhaps a role as a road course ringer is something Red Bull themselves are favorable of, seeing as Speed is a RB driver, after all, and Cheever is sponsored by them.

The more I think of it, the more I like the idea, actually. I'm sorry Eddie, I didn't mean what I wrote earlier!!
Old 18 Dec 2004, 17:42 (Ref:1182654)   #325
Snrub
Veteran

Canada
London, Ontario, Canada
Snrub should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridSnrub should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Lotterer was really impressive in Mexico City 2002 with Champ Car. I'm pretty confident he'd make an excellent addition to the IRL.

Has anyone watched any races with Scott Speed? Everyone seems to talk about him, but I honestly can't say much. Thoughts?