Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 4 Aug 2007, 22:27 (Ref:1980987)   #301
dtype38
Race Official
Veteran

England
East London
dtype38 has a real shot at the podium!dtype38 has a real shot at the podium!dtype38 has a real shot at the podium!dtype38 has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by martyn bott
In the modern era of F1,races are (unfortunately) won and lost in the pit lane.
Indeed.... but does there need to be a "protest" by a driver for the stewards to look into a possible cse of "blocking" (on track or in pit lane)?
Old 4 Aug 2007, 22:30 (Ref:1980989)   #302
ensign14
Veteran

British Antarctic Territory
Deception Island
ensign14 is going for a new world record!ensign14 is going for a new world record!ensign14 is going for a new world record!ensign14 is going for a new world record!ensign14 is going for a new world record!ensign14 is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Down F0rce
Hamilton was ordered to allow Alonso to pass him in Q3, which he did not do.
Yes, quite rightly Hamilton obeyed the rules of the sport and did not accede to team orders that could have seen both McLarens disqualified.
Old 4 Aug 2007, 22:32 (Ref:1980990)   #303
Hazard
Veteran

United Kingdom
United Kingdom
Hazard should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridHazard should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridHazard should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by ensign14
Yes, quite rightly Hamilton obeyed the rules of the sport and did not accede to team orders that could have seen both McLarens disqualified.
Interesting take - but the team orders rule only applies to race positions - otherwise giving one driver a slightly fuller tank so he'd only qualify second could be considered a team order?

The line's got to be drawn somewhere on 'team orders', and I think qualifying should certainly be excepted.
Old 4 Aug 2007, 22:33 (Ref:1980991)   #304
Marbot
Retired
20KPINAL

United Kingdom
Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Down F0rce

Hamilton was ordered to allow Alonso to pass him in Q3, which he did not do.

Which of course is a team matter,but unfortunately Alonso (or whoever) overstepped that boundary.
Old 4 Aug 2007, 22:37 (Ref:1980993)   #305
JeremySmith
Veteran

United Kingdom
Austin Texas
JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!
So Alonso is going to start the race from the car park then is he?
Old 4 Aug 2007, 22:38 (Ref:1980994)   #306
Down F0rce
Veteran

Scotland
Aberdeenshire, Scotland
Down F0rce should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridDown F0rce should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridDown F0rce should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridDown F0rce should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Autosport confirm that McLaren will get no points from this race.

http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/61371

What a joke.
Old 4 Aug 2007, 22:38 (Ref:1980995)   #307
strider
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Middle Earth
strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by ensign14
Why? Surely the rules in qualifying are different from those in races? Hamilton was quite happy to follow the team's agreed strategy for the qualifying session in Q1 and Q2, but chose to ignore it in Q3.

Anyway, what about Melbourne in '98? Didn't DC honour a pre-race agreement and let Mika retake the win after a pit lane understanding? I don't recall any disqualification then.
Old 4 Aug 2007, 22:38 (Ref:1980996)   #308
Marbot
Retired
20KPINAL

United Kingdom
Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by dtype38
Indeed.... but does there need to be a "protest" by a driver for the stewards to look into a possible cse of "blocking" (on track or in pit lane)?
I would have thought that anyone in the pit lane or wherever could put in a protest if they thought that what they saw was happening was in some way detrimental to the 'sport'.
Old 4 Aug 2007, 22:39 (Ref:1980998)   #309
JeremySmith
Veteran

United Kingdom
Austin Texas
JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Knowlesy
I don't see why the stewards should even have to get involved in this. It is surely a team matter. Mclaren would surely rectify things in the race if they aren't happy with the qualifying outcome, what went on in the session etc...

If Alonso is indeed dropped to sixth it is another victory for the stewards who continue to amaze me with their BS decisions season after season. Just don't even get me started...
What then is the point of having stewards?
Old 4 Aug 2007, 22:39 (Ref:1980999)   #310
TWRv12
Veteran

TWRv12 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridTWRv12 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Mega McMerc shambles. Threw away the front and a great shot at a one, two.

The team let both there driver down. They put they in that position.
Old 4 Aug 2007, 22:40 (Ref:1981000)   #311
F1n
Rookie

Scotland
F1n should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
McLaren will not be allowed to score any constructor points this weekend, following this punishment does it suggest Alonso was following orders from somebody?, otherwise what is the point in this punishment, Alonso blocking Hamilton can not have an effect on the contructors championship that would benefit McLaren.
Old 4 Aug 2007, 22:41 (Ref:1981001)   #312
Rory
Rookie

Scotland
Aberdeenshire, Scotland
Rory has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
What, in their burn off period?
Old 4 Aug 2007, 22:42 (Ref:1981002)   #313
NAC
Veteran

New Zealand
Auckland, New Zealand
NAC should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridNAC should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
No points for McLaren for constructers championship according to F1 live

"The FIA also decided that McLaren Mercedes will not earn any points from the race for the constructers’ world championship".

http://www.f1-live.com/f1/en/headlin...05001402.shtml
Old 4 Aug 2007, 22:42 (Ref:1981003)   #314
strider
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Middle Earth
strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by strider
The Stewards did not believe either Alonso's explanation or McLaren's, but there is a right to appeal.
Just to clarify, Alonso has no right of appeal, but McLaren do and have exercised it. Separate hearing before the International Court of Appeal in due course.
Old 4 Aug 2007, 22:43 (Ref:1981004)   #315
Knowlesy
20KPINAL

Knowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Yep, totally idiotic really.

Farce is not a term I like to use, but I think it is warranted here.
Old 4 Aug 2007, 22:43 (Ref:1981005)   #316
Hazard
Veteran

United Kingdom
United Kingdom
Hazard should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridHazard should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridHazard should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by strider
Anyway, what about Melbourne in '98? Didn't DC honour a pre-race agreement and let Mika retake the win after a pit lane understanding? I don't recall any disqualification then.
They were told never to do that again though. That was also 'controversial'.

Since the constructors penalty is because McLaren have lied to protect their 1-2, I can see merit in it.

My disgust is now just reduced to shame that Alonso didn't get away with it as it were. I think it's just taken some of the fun out of it.
Old 4 Aug 2007, 22:44 (Ref:1981006)   #317
Marbot
Retired
20KPINAL

United Kingdom
Quote:
Originally Posted by JeremySmith
So Alonso is going to start the race from the car park then is he?
No,not that boundary.....but there's time yet.

I think that unfortunately this may be the beginning of something rather more terminal for McLaren's season.
Old 4 Aug 2007, 22:46 (Ref:1981007)   #318
924nut
Racer

924nut should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I see it as simple re this penalty - McLaren have brought the sport into disrepute - by this embarrassing fiasco therefore the team punishment -
Old 4 Aug 2007, 22:47 (Ref:1981009)   #319
Knowlesy
20KPINAL

Knowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hazard
Since the constructors penalty is because McLaren have lied to protect their 1-2, I can see merit in it.
Well I suppose this is a ground breaking day. This must be the first time someone in F1 has been economical with the truth to protect their status!

The rest of the grid has been warned! Err....

Were these incredible lies? I see statements that perhaps could be construed as spin, but total lies.... I don't know.

It's all completely hopeless.
Old 4 Aug 2007, 22:48 (Ref:1981011)   #320
Knowlesy
20KPINAL

Quote:
Originally Posted by 924nut
I see it as simple re this penalty - McLaren have brought the sport into disrepute - by this embarrassing fiasco therefore the team punishment -
Brought it into disrepute with who? The News Of The World?

God my head hurts at the sheer numb-nuttedness of it all! What a fiasco...
Old 4 Aug 2007, 22:48 (Ref:1981013)   #321
touringlegend
Race Official
Veteran

Panama
touringlegend should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridtouringlegend should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridtouringlegend should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Aren't these damn stewards killjoys !

Just totally ruined the race for me.
Old 4 Aug 2007, 22:48 (Ref:1981015)   #322
broadrun96
Veteran

United States
broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Is Mclaren going to have enough people left to appeal/defend themselves everywhere but on the race track? Some lawyers will be making some good money this month from them
Old 4 Aug 2007, 22:49 (Ref:1981018)   #323
Marbot
Retired
20KPINAL

United Kingdom
Pitpass originally lead with an article stating that there was no penalty.

http://www.pitpass.com/fes_php/pitpa...s_art_id=32359

Very strange.But hey,isn't this F1 just of late.
Old 4 Aug 2007, 22:51 (Ref:1981020)   #324
Hazard
Veteran

United Kingdom
United Kingdom
Quote:
Well I suppose this is a ground breaking day. This must be the first time someone in F1 has been economical with the truth to protect their status!

The rest of the grid has been warned! Err....

Were these incredible lies? I see statements that perhaps could be construed as spin, but total lies.... I don't know.

It's all completely hopeless.
Lying/spinning to the media's one thing. Talking tripe to stewards is another. And if there's a tape recording proving it's bull, more fool them surely?
Old 4 Aug 2007, 22:51 (Ref:1981022)   #325
924nut
Racer

924nut should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Brought it into disrepute with who? The News Of The World?

God my head hurts at the sheer numb-nuttedness of it all! What a fiasco...

Do you not think that the sport of F1 is now a laughing stock all over the world!