Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Sportscar & GT Racing > North American Racing

Closed Thread

Old 8 Mar 2013, 02:14 (Ref:3215825)   #3251
Breitling24
Veteran

Breitling24 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridBreitling24 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by ptclaus98 View Post
Ehhhh, I don't see Penske doing WEC unless he's getting major sponsor or manufacturer money. Porsche seems to have put in their lot with Manthey, Audi has Joest, Toyota have done their own thing. I figure this is just Roger trying to kick up some dirt and see if a manufacturer takes notice. Maybe Honda.
Porsche have gone with Manthey for the GT programme, but Penske has the experience running the ALMS LMP2 programme, and Porsche are returning to LMP1...
Old 8 Mar 2013, 09:49 (Ref:3215921)   #3252
Simmi
Veteran

United Kingdom
Simmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by Breitling24 View Post
Porsche have gone with Manthey for the GT programme, but Penske has the experience running the ALMS LMP2 programme, and Porsche are returning to LMP1...
It's been confirmed that when it comes to the P1 programme, Porsche have put their lot in with Porsche. Full works effort run out of Weissach - the way it should be.
Old 8 Mar 2013, 12:08 (Ref:3215972)   #3253
NaBUru38
Veteran

Uruguay
Las Canteras, Uruguay
NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!
Penske could be very interested in winning Daytona and Sebring, just like Ganassi.
Old 8 Mar 2013, 12:22 (Ref:3215986)   #3254
Fogelhund
Veteran

Canada
Binbrook, ON Canada
Fogelhund has a real shot at the championship!Fogelhund has a real shot at the championship!Fogelhund has a real shot at the championship!Fogelhund has a real shot at the championship!Fogelhund has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by NaBUru38 View Post
Penske could be very interested in winning Daytona and Sebring, just like Ganassi.
Maybe, but then they specifically said Le Mans multiple times, and Daytona and Sebring not at all. Penske has already won Daytona and Sebring btw....
Old 8 Mar 2013, 12:39 (Ref:3215997)   #3255
JLGarcia
Racer

JLGarcia should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridJLGarcia should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Penske may well want to win LM24 overall, but you'd be a fool to think he'd turn down the right GT manufacturer deal.
Old 8 Mar 2013, 12:55 (Ref:3216002)   #3256
porman
Veteran

porman should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridporman should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridporman should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by JLGarcia View Post
Penske may well want to win LM24 overall, but you'd be a fool to think he'd turn down the right GT manufacturer deal.

Exactly! It wouldn't be too much of a stretch to see him running a 2014 Porsche RSR under the right circumstances. In my jaded world we would see Penske, Flying Lizards, and Falken running a 2014 spec car with a new DFI engine. GT is an extremely tight field and the Captain loves competition.

Old 13 Mar 2013, 12:36 (Ref:3217816)   #3257
NaBUru38
Veteran

Uruguay
Las Canteras, Uruguay
NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!
So, what are your bets on the name of the merged championship?

1. Will Rolex remain as title sponsor?
2. Will they retain Le Mans or Daytona?
3. Will they use Endurance or Sports Car?
4. Will they revive IMSA or Road Racing Championship?
5. Will they use United States, American, North American or no geographical reference?
6. Will they use a superlative like Super, Ultimate or Premium?
Old 13 Mar 2013, 13:16 (Ref:3217827)   #3258
flyingmonkey
Rookie

flyingmonkey has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Quote:
So, what are your bets on the name of the merged championship?

1. Will Rolex remain as title sponsor?
2. Will they retain Le Mans or Daytona?
3. Will they use Endurance or Sports Car?
4. Will they revive IMSA or Road Racing Championship?
5. Will they use United States, American, North American or no geographical reference?
1. Likely
2. Neither
3. Sports Car
4. RRC
5. American
6. I hope not
Old 13 Mar 2013, 13:18 (Ref:3217828)   #3259
MagVanisher
Veteran

MagVanisher should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridMagVanisher should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
I bet they're crazy enough to put an "ultimate" on their series...
Old 13 Mar 2013, 13:26 (Ref:3217834)   #3260
flyingmonkey
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt View Post
Er, what?
Er...yea, look at it. It would be more interesting to run the oval. Those infield corners might as well be a tasteless chicane on the back straight.....no character at all. But if some like it then I guess.....no...no...no...no, its an abomination. A crime really.
Old 13 Mar 2013, 13:37 (Ref:3217838)   #3261
flyingmonkey
Rookie

Also, did anyone see this: http://auto-racing.speedtv.com/artic...the-bmw-z4-gte

The ALMS is allowing the Z-4 to run a V-8, when the production Z-4 is not offered with a V-8. There goes the GTE championship.
Old 13 Mar 2013, 13:44 (Ref:3217842)   #3262
Fogelhund
Veteran

Canada
Binbrook, ON Canada
Fogelhund has a real shot at the championship!Fogelhund has a real shot at the championship!Fogelhund has a real shot at the championship!Fogelhund has a real shot at the championship!Fogelhund has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by flyingmonkey View Post
Also, did anyone see this: http://auto-racing.speedtv.com/artic...the-bmw-z4-gte

The ALMS is allowing the Z-4 to run a V-8, when the production Z-4 is not offered with a V-8. There goes the GTE championship.
Actually, it is the ACO who homologated this, not the ALMS. It is hard to pin point when exactly the barn door was let open, one could argue the growing list of waivers, or allowing the Viper in despite being 2.5L above the class limit, or.....
Old 13 Mar 2013, 13:53 (Ref:3217851)   #3263
joeb
Race Official
Veteran

United States
Baton Rouge, LA
joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:

Yup, that has been discussed in a few different threads around here including partially in these:

http://tentenths.com/forum/showthrea...ghlight=future

http://tentenths.com/forum/showthrea...hlight=bmw+gte
Old 13 Mar 2013, 15:07 (Ref:3217911)   #3264
Maelochs
Veteran

Maelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
I expect Rolex will stay on as sponsor—might as well get some RoI from the new series after being stuck with the old.

They cannot use “Le Mans without a licensing agreement, and would be foolish to use “Daytona” in the series name. Likewise they’d be foolish to use “U.S.” considering they already race in Canada and might someday look at Mexico.

They could use “Sports Car,” but “Endurance” would be too funny for this humorless lot.

I don’t think “IMSA” or “RRC” have much resonance with modern fans or potential fans.

Considering they are based in the World Center of Racing … I am expecting the “Pan-Galactic All-American Nationwide Sports Car Series”—PaganSport has a nice ring.
Old 13 Mar 2013, 15:17 (Ref:3217914)   #3265
Rookie

962 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Er...yea, look at it. It would be more interesting to run the oval. Those infield corners might as well be a tasteless chicane on the back straight.....no character at all. But if some like it then I guess.....no...no...no...no, its an abomination. A crime really.
Having driven the Charlotte road course, i find the infield section in my oppinion has a lot more character than people give it credit for. The speedway section is what it is but Turns 5-6-7 in the infield section are brutal with a crest right at entry of turn 6 that makes setting up for 7 quite difficult.
Old 13 Mar 2013, 16:44 (Ref:3217947)   #3266
Pandamasque
Veteran

Ukraine
Kyiv, Ukraine
Pandamasque has a real shot at the podium!Pandamasque has a real shot at the podium!Pandamasque has a real shot at the podium!Pandamasque has a real shot at the podium!Pandamasque has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maelochs View Post
I expect Rolex will stay on as sponsor—might as well get some RoI from the new series after being stuck with the old.

They cannot use “Le Mans without a licensing agreement, and would be foolish to use “Daytona” in the series name. Likewise they’d be foolish to use “U.S.” considering they already race in Canada and might someday look at Mexico.

They could use “Sports Car,” but “Endurance” would be too funny for this humorless lot.

I don’t think “IMSA” or “RRC” have much resonance with modern fans or potential fans.

Considering they are based in the World Center of Racing … I am expecting the “Pan-Galactic All-American Nationwide Sports Car Series”—PaganSport has a nice ring.
Or, if they stay away from rovals, simply Pan-American-Natural-Terrain-Series (good acronym too).
Old 13 Mar 2013, 19:31 (Ref:3218001)   #3267
Purist
Veteran

United States
Wichita, Kansas, USA
Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!
Monkey, I would say that the Charlotte roval is more interesting than some. However, most rovals just aren't terribly interesting anyway. Charlotte specifically has some serious safety issues, both in terms of run-off, as well as surface condition in the infield.

Here's a blast from the past.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ST7-ztfo7Wg

The other roval, apart from Daytona, that piques my interest from time to time is Pocono. The first few corners have since changed (probably for the better), but this should give a decent idea of the track.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u4N50wGWhps

On the whole though, I do think that rovals should be kept to an absoltue minimum in the new series; there are just too many excellent permanent road courses out there to clutter up the calendar with a whole lot else.

Both the Z4 and Viper have ACO homologation, so the ALMS does not bare the greatest responsibility for these. Besides, the Z4 shape seems a better fit for the GT class.

Last edited by Purist; 13 Mar 2013 at 19:56.
Old 13 Mar 2013, 19:37 (Ref:3218004)   #3268
BMWFan56
Rookie

BMWFan56 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
My guess is: United SportsCar Racing.

http://jalopnik.com/is-united-sports...ed-g-453562283

Old 13 Mar 2013, 20:29 (Ref:3218022)   #3269
deggis
Veteran

Finland
deggis is going for a new world record!deggis is going for a new world record!deggis is going for a new world record!deggis is going for a new world record!deggis is going for a new world record!deggis is going for a new world record!deggis is going for a new world record!
Like the simplicity (...Sports Car Racing!) but "United" sounds videogamish.
Old 13 Mar 2013, 20:35 (Ref:3218023)   #3270
Breitling24
Veteran

Breitling24 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridBreitling24 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by BMWFan56 View Post
My guess is: United SportsCar Racing.

http://jalopnik.com/is-united-sports...ed-g-453562283

I see over at Brett's site, he's listed the "legal" domain filings, etc. Through, ironically or not, GoDaddy.com, a NASCAR sponsor.
Old 13 Mar 2013, 20:36 (Ref:3218024)   #3271
Fogelhund
Veteran

Canada
Binbrook, ON Canada
Quote:
Originally Posted by Breitling24 View Post
I see over at Brett's site, he's listed the "legal" domain filings, etc. Through GoDaddy.com, a NASCAR sponsor, ironically, or not.
First place I looked up the domain name.
Old 14 Mar 2013, 12:14 (Ref:3218274)   #3272
deggis
Veteran

Finland
deggis is going for a new world record!deggis is going for a new world record!deggis is going for a new world record!deggis is going for a new world record!deggis is going for a new world record!deggis is going for a new world record!deggis is going for a new world record!
So: http://www.unitedsportscarracing.com

Not the ideal address, so long and mainly the two "R" letters consecutively...

What is going to be acronym? USR? USCR? Notice that in the trademark application it is "SportsCar" and not "Sports Car".

Quote:
Registered through: GoDaddy.com, LLC (http://www.godaddy.com)
Domain Name: UNITEDSPORTSCARRACING.COM
Created on: 13-Feb-13
Expires on: 13-Feb-15
Last Updated on: 12-Mar-13

Registrant:
Premium Sports Car, LLC
One Daytona Blvd
Daytona Beach, FL 32114
United States

Administrative Contact:
Car, LLC, Premium Sports ltoth@nascar.com
One Daytona Blvd
Daytona Beach, FL 32114
United States
+1.3863105610
Old 14 Mar 2013, 12:23 (Ref:3218277)   #3273
deggis
Veteran

Finland

http://www.autoweek.com/article/20130313/ALMS/130319936

2:30 EDT = http://www.timeanddate.com/countdown...S+announcement
Old 14 Mar 2013, 13:29 (Ref:3218300)   #3274
NaBUru38
Veteran

Uruguay
Las Canteras, Uruguay
USR = U.S. Robots (Isaac Asimov, you know)

At least the website doens't include "Championship" or "Series".
Old 14 Mar 2013, 13:44 (Ref:3218308)   #3275
Rookie

962 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
One question I have is will the sanctioning body still be Grand Am as in Grand Am United Sportscar Racing. Or is USCR going to be the name of the sanctioning body. It doen't bother me if it remains Grand Am it's just something that I have not herd anyone address.

Just to clarify what i'm trying to ask.
Right now we have The Grand Am Rolex Sports Car Series, Grand Am Continental Tire Series.
So will the new series be Grand Am United SportsCar Racing
Or United SportsCar Series Rolex GT, DP etc

I hope that makes sense

Last edited by 962; 14 Mar 2013 at 13:54.
Closed Thread