Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Sportscar & GT Racing > ACO Regulated Series

Old 26 Jun 2013, 18:20 (Ref:3270129)   #3351
trickyd
Racer

trickyd should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Does anyone know when the calendar for next years WEC is out, and whether they are planning on filling the giant gap between Le Mans and Interlagos? I mean, I've heard of summer breaks, but not ones that literally take up the whole of summer!
Old 26 Jun 2013, 18:34 (Ref:3270134)   #3352
zanfo zanfagni
Racer

zanfo zanfagni has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
July is too much close to june and private teams need time to receive spare parts to repair their cars after le mans, while lmp1 manufacturers prefer use the summer to make intensive test sessions. This year porsche, audi and toyota will spend summer months to develope and test their 2014 cars. In 2011 ILMC there was the imola race in early july, oreca team folded the event and audi sport had to make a lot of work to be in grid with 2 new chassis (after LM 2011, the winning car was retired, while #2 and #3 gone destroyed). So I think that both manufacturers and private teams prefer to don't run in july.
Old 26 Jun 2013, 18:39 (Ref:3270135)   #3353
Coach Ep
Veteran

Coach Ep is going for a new lap record!Coach Ep is going for a new lap record!Coach Ep is going for a new lap record!Coach Ep is going for a new lap record!Coach Ep is going for a new lap record!Coach Ep is going for a new lap record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by trickyd View Post
Does anyone know when the calendar for next years WEC is out, and whether they are planning on filling the giant gap between Le Mans and Interlagos? I mean, I've heard of summer breaks, but not ones that literally take up the whole of summer!
The long summer break is used to ship the cars to Brazil instead of flying them out. All in order to save costs. Sensible call imo.
Old 26 Jun 2013, 18:49 (Ref:3270136)   #3354
trickyd
Racer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coach Ep View Post
The long summer break is used to ship the cars to Brazil instead of flying them out. All in order to save costs. Sensible call imo.
Yeah but all that interest and momentum gained by Le Mans is lost when the casual fan has nothing to watch for 2 months. Fair enough don't have a race too close to Le Mans, but a month break is long enough IMO. Surely to Christ they can get to Brazil a bit quicker than that, or have it at the beginning or end of the season?!
Old 26 Jun 2013, 18:53 (Ref:3270138)   #3355
GT3.14
Veteran

GT3.14 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridGT3.14 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridGT3.14 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
The teams need to do a post Le Mans rebuild of the cars before shipping them off to Brazil. Two months is pretty reasonable.
Old 26 Jun 2013, 19:08 (Ref:3270145)   #3356
zanfo zanfagni
Racer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coach Ep View Post
Don't know if is this the reason also because in 2 last years europeans cars running for the ILMC were shipped to sebring via air cargo just 2 weeks before the event. Brazil race is in september, I don't think that cars will be shipped for brazil before mid-august. This year DHL is a partner sponsor of WEC, so travels should be also more facilitated.
Old 26 Jun 2013, 19:18 (Ref:3270152)   #3357
SpikerJack
Racer

Italy
SpikerJack should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I heard from Monza's Director on Eurosport that they are in negotiation with WEC for 2014. Monza is in a very bad moment because it could go off F1 (Ecclestone told that today) for economic reasons so I think that they are trying to search for other races for next year. Obviously these are all rumours (obviously exagerated by the media) but I only reported you what I'm hearing in this days in Italy..
Old 26 Jun 2013, 19:24 (Ref:3270154)   #3358
valedave
Racer

United Kingdom
valedave should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridvaledave should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridvaledave should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Oh man a WEC race at Monza would be awesome
Old 26 Jun 2013, 19:26 (Ref:3270155)   #3359
trickyd
Racer

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpikerJack View Post
I heard from Monza's Director on Eurosport that they are in negotiation with WEC for 2014. Monza is in a very bad moment because it could go off F1 (Ecclestone told that today) for economic reasons so I think that they are trying to search for other races for next year. Obviously these are all rumours (obviously exagerated by the media) but I only reported you what I'm hearing in this days in Italy..
That would be awesome, have Monza in its traditional April date (from the old 1000km days) and move Silverstone back to August. Bingo. Ecclestone could just be posturing about F1 though.
Old 26 Jun 2013, 20:15 (Ref:3270176)   #3360
wewantourdarbyback
Veteran

United Kingdom
Surrey
wewantourdarbyback should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridwewantourdarbyback should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Monza would be a fantastic race to have, to add another classic track to the series would give it an extra edge in my opinion.

Now, to let us use the version without the chicanes that Audi tested on...
Old 26 Jun 2013, 22:35 (Ref:3270219)   #3361
TF110
Veteran

United States
TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!
Monza would be a great preparation for LeMans. Silverstone should be late July/ early August imo. I would rather Imola, but another additional race is a plus regardless where it takes place.
Old 26 Jun 2013, 22:44 (Ref:3270225)   #3362
gwyllion
Veteran

Belgium
gwyllion is going for a new world record!gwyllion is going for a new world record!gwyllion is going for a new world record!gwyllion is going for a new world record!gwyllion is going for a new world record!gwyllion is going for a new world record!gwyllion is going for a new world record!
The last edition of the 1000 km of Monza (i.e., 2007 and 2008) were held in April.
Old 26 Jun 2013, 23:01 (Ref:3270231)   #3363
zanfo zanfagni
Racer

Audi has too much influence in any WEC decision, being the only and real promoter of the championship. In my opinion audi prefers to visit monza to make private tests of their low drag/LM package than run a 6H race.
Old 26 Jun 2013, 23:40 (Ref:3270242)   #3364
deggis
Veteran

Finland
deggis is going for a new world record!deggis is going for a new world record!deggis is going for a new world record!deggis is going for a new world record!deggis is going for a new world record!deggis is going for a new world record!deggis is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Salamus View Post
The Toyota finished 3rd, so it only gets 15 points. The Audi in 2nd basically stole 3 points from Toyota. And Audi finished first so they get the full 25.

Audi - 25
Toyota - 15

I don't see a problem.
But I read that this way

Audi 25
Audi 0
Toyota 15

If 2nd Audi gets points, it still steals points from Toyota.
Old 26 Jun 2013, 23:48 (Ref:3270244)   #3365
deggis
Veteran

Finland
deggis is going for a new world record!deggis is going for a new world record!deggis is going for a new world record!deggis is going for a new world record!deggis is going for a new world record!deggis is going for a new world record!deggis is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpikerJack View Post
Slightly exaggerated, yes: http://www.givemesport.com/355401-ec...om-f1-calendar

I don't think this (dropping the GP) is going to happen, considering how always evil Bernie agreed to pay Hockenheimring's losses from his own pocket and now (in the above story) lifted Nurburgring's fee. In other words: too important to be dropped.

But can't WEC still go to Monza? Altough it didn't seem like the previous LMS races where were the biggest successes.

Last edited by deggis; 26 Jun 2013 at 23:54.
Old 26 Jun 2013, 23:53 (Ref:3270246)   #3366
deggis
Veteran

Finland
Quote:
Originally Posted by zanfo zanfagni View Post
Audi has too much influence in any WEC decision, being the only and real promoter of the championship. In my opinion audi prefers to visit monza to make private tests of their low drag/LM package than run a 6H race.
Are you now mixing "promoter" and "track side advertiser"? Peugeot used to test at Monza too, it's not like it is some Audi-only territory.
Old 27 Jun 2013, 00:10 (Ref:3270254)   #3367
NaBUru38
Veteran

Uruguay
Las Canteras, Uruguay
NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by deggis View Post
If I was an average viewer I'd be really confused by the ten (10) titles in WEC
I totally agree. Endurance racing is a team sport, it's ridiculous to have drivers titles.

There should be just one title per class - ok, two in LMP1 for manufacturers and private teams. The rest should be teams titles too.
Old 27 Jun 2013, 00:11 (Ref:3270255)   #3368
NaBUru38
Veteran

Uruguay
Las Canteras, Uruguay
NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by trickyd View Post
That would be awesome, have Monza in its traditional April date (from the old 1000km days) and move Silverstone back to August. Bingo. Ecclestone could just be posturing about F1 though.
I totally agree. August is a great place to do the Silverstone race, because F1 is on holidays.
Old 27 Jun 2013, 01:48 (Ref:3270284)   #3369
Salamus
Veteran

Canada
Ontario
Salamus should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSalamus should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSalamus should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSalamus should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
But I read that this way

Audi 25
Audi 0
Toyota 15

If 2nd Audi gets points, it still steals points from Toyota.
2nd Audi gets 0 because only one car counts.

Honestly, whether one or two cars count, the results will usually end up the same by seasons end.

It's just that the following scenario annoys me when two cars count.

Audi - 25
Toyota - 18
Toyota - 15
Audi - 0 (DNF)

It just annoys me when the winning manufacturer ends up with less points. You can argue that Toyota "as a team" did a better job but at the end of the day Audi WON.

To give you an example, would you rather want a Gold or a Silver&Bronze? I would personally want the Gold because it tells people that I was the best at an event.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NaBUru38 View Post
I totally agree. Endurance racing is a team sport, it's ridiculous to have drivers titles.

There should be just one title per class - ok, two in LMP1 for manufacturers and private teams. The rest should be teams titles too.
Having 2/3 drivers in a car = team sport.

There should be a drivers title for each class and a team (P2/GTAM)/manufuacturer (P1/GTPRO) title too.
Old 27 Jun 2013, 09:59 (Ref:3270423)   #3370
werner
Veteran

Netherlands
Rotterdam, the Netherlands
werner should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridwerner should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I always have the feeling that the races after Le Mans are seen as almost irrelevant to the greater public. If I'm correct, then maybe a thought outside the box could be interesting.
Would it be an idea to make Le Mans the finale of the WEC-season wich runs over the winter?

Oktober: Road Atlanta
November: Fuji
December: Bahrein
Februari: Interlagos (or Potreros de los Funes if possible!)
March: Sebring
April: Silverstone
May: Spa
June: Le Mans

If Monza is really a good opportunity Silverstone could be the opener in September, and Monza in April.
Yes, I know Sebring will be hard to arrange, but honestly, it really should be in the WEC.
Old 27 Jun 2013, 10:09 (Ref:3270427)   #3371
Gingers4Justice
Veteran

United Kingdom
Highbury, London
Gingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by werner View Post
I always have the feeling that the races after Le Mans are seen as almost irrelevant to the greater public. If I'm correct, then maybe a thought outside the box could be interesting.
Would it be an idea to make Le Mans the finale of the WEC-season wich runs over the winter?

Oktober: Road Atlanta
November: Fuji
December: Bahrein
Februari: Interlagos (or Potreros de los Funes if possible!)
March: Sebring
April: Silverstone
May: Spa
June: Le Mans

If Monza is really a good opportunity Silverstone could be the opener in September, and Monza in April.
Yes, I know Sebring will be hard to arrange, but honestly, it really should be in the WEC.
I've suggested this before. It makes so much sense to me. A1GP got a lot more attention than it otherwise would have done due to being on in the winter months...

More drivers would also be available in the winter months with fewer clashes. Le Mans would come as a super climax to the season!
Old 27 Jun 2013, 10:16 (Ref:3270428)   #3372
deggis
Veteran

Finland
Quote:
Originally Posted by Salamus View Post
To give you an example, would you rather want a Gold or a Silver&Bronze? I would personally want the Gold because it tells people that I was the best at an event.
I don't know how to answer that question , because a medal system (btw, remember when Bernie Ecclestone suggested this for F1?) is completely different system and rarely used in a seasonal championships (without a separate points system).
Old 27 Jun 2013, 11:48 (Ref:3270466)   #3373
zanfo zanfagni
Racer

Quote:
Are you now mixing "promoter" and "track side advertiser"? Peugeot used to test at Monza too, it's not like it is some Audi-only territory.
Speaking the truth also oak racing, af corse, aston martin and some other teams tests their cars at monza. About audi influence, go to fiawec.com at the end of the page there is a banner WEC's partners it includes audi, michelin, tudor and DHL. As you can see audi has a much more important role than only as "track side advertiser".
Old 27 Jun 2013, 12:28 (Ref:3270501)   #3374
deggis
Veteran

Finland
Quote:
Originally Posted by zanfo zanfagni View Post
About audi influence, go to fiawec.com at the end of the page there is a banner WEC's partners it includes audi, michelin, tudor and DHL. As you can see audi has a much more important role than only as "track side advertiser".
Still I have to believe it is completely separate from any sporting related thing. Probably isn't even the same subsidiary of Audi.
Old 27 Jun 2013, 12:45 (Ref:3270522)   #3375
Salamus
Veteran

Canada
Ontario
Salamus should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSalamus should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSalamus should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSalamus should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
I don't know how to answer that question , because a medal system (btw, remember when Bernie Ecclestone suggested this for F1?) is completely different system and rarely used in a seasonal championships (without a separate points system).
I'm not suggesting a medal system. It was just a metaphor.

deggis, we must be die-hard fans to argue about the points system.