Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Sportscar & GT Racing > North American Racing

Old 15 Feb 2013, 22:35 (Ref:3205566)   #326
HORNDAWG
Veteran

United States
Oregon
HORNDAWG should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridHORNDAWG should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridHORNDAWG should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by skycafe View Post
What is the P2 tire situation? I have lost track (not sure I was on track....), but wan't there talk of being on control tires, this year?
Geet ouwtta heere'!

L.P.
Old 15 Feb 2013, 22:44 (Ref:3205575)   #327
pdxracefan
Racer

United States
Oregon
pdxracefan should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid

Quote:
What is the P2 tire situation? I have lost track (not sure I was on track....), but wan't there talk of being on control tires, this year?
I seem to remember reading something about the same thing. Problem is, can't remember where. Can't find anything from Dagys on Speed.
Old 15 Feb 2013, 23:12 (Ref:3205600)   #328
Maelochs
Veteran

Maelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Last I heard PC was supposed to be on Contis, and maybe GTC, with GTE open and now, with both P2 and DP cars in the top class, who knows?

The class loses its ACO relevance if it stays on Contis, but I am not sure that really matters to the management.
Old 15 Feb 2013, 23:26 (Ref:3205605)   #329
TheMightyM
Veteran

TheMightyM has a real shot at the podium!TheMightyM has a real shot at the podium!TheMightyM has a real shot at the podium!TheMightyM has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maelochs View Post
Last I heard PC was supposed to be on Contis, and maybe GTC, with GTE open and now, with both P2 and DP cars in the top class, who knows?

The class loses its ACO relevance if it stays on Contis, but I am not sure that really matters to the management.
I think some people are confusing the years. 2013 -- tires as before, except Dunlop has pulled out of ALMS, so presumably all P cars will be on Michelin.

2014 P2/DP tire situation is TBD.
Old 15 Feb 2013, 23:56 (Ref:3205615)   #330
skycafe
Race Official
Veteran

United States
Water on three sides
skycafe is going for a new lap record!skycafe is going for a new lap record!skycafe is going for a new lap record!skycafe is going for a new lap record!skycafe is going for a new lap record!skycafe is going for a new lap record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheMightyM View Post
I think some people are confusing the years. 2013 -- tires as before, except Dunlop has pulled out of ALMS, so presumably all P cars will be on Michelin.

2014 P2/DP tire situation is TBD.
That may be the case, confusing the year, I just reread the Dagys Sebring Test report, and it is slightly unclear http://auto-racing.speedtv.com/artic...est-notebook2/

Perhaps it is me?
Old 16 Feb 2013, 00:10 (Ref:3205622)   #331
TheMightyM
Veteran

TheMightyM has a real shot at the podium!TheMightyM has a real shot at the podium!TheMightyM has a real shot at the podium!TheMightyM has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
That may be the case, confusing the year, I just reread the Dagys Sebring Test report, and it is slightly unclear http://auto-racing.speedtv.com/artic...est-notebook2/

Perhaps it is me?
My bad, I had completely misread that as being for 2014. So it seems we do have a P2 tire issue this year.
Old 16 Feb 2013, 13:52 (Ref:3205861)   #332
Dyson Mazda
Veteran

United States
Charlotte, NC
Dyson Mazda should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridDyson Mazda should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maelochs View Post

The problem with going to Contis is that if Grand Am is any measure it is quite an inferior tire to the Michelins and that might slow speeds to the point that they begin to interfere with the GT class.
Old 16 Feb 2013, 16:46 (Ref:3205903)   #333
JLGarcia
Racer

JLGarcia should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridJLGarcia should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dyson Mazda View Post
The problem with going to Contis is that if Grand Am is any measure it is quite an inferior tire to the Michelins and that might slow speeds to the point that they begin to interfere with the GT class.
As has been said before, Continental is capable of making more than one compound, you know.
Old 16 Feb 2013, 17:26 (Ref:3205918)   #334
HORNDAWG
Veteran

United States
Oregon
HORNDAWG should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridHORNDAWG should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridHORNDAWG should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by JLGarcia View Post
As has been said before, Continental is capable of making more than one compound, you know.
And you think that just changing the compound on the Conti will make it equal to the many different iterations of Michelin?

L.P.
Old 16 Feb 2013, 18:34 (Ref:3205933)   #335
Dyson Mazda
Veteran

United States
Charlotte, NC
Dyson Mazda should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridDyson Mazda should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Just curious but when was the last time Continental won a somewhat significant car race (not like the local club races) that involved multiple tire manufacturers?
Old 16 Feb 2013, 18:42 (Ref:3205936)   #336
JLGarcia
Racer

JLGarcia should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridJLGarcia should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by HORNDAWG View Post
And you think that just changing the compound on the Conti will make it equal to the many different iterations of Michelin?
That's not the conversation we're having. Whether PC or P2 on Continentals would necessarily be slow enough as to further interfere with GT is.

2 different topics. Pay attention. Thanks so much.
Old 17 Feb 2013, 10:20 (Ref:3206145)   #337
NaBUru38
Veteran

Uruguay
Las Canteras, Uruguay
NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Just curious but when was the last time Continental won a somewhat significant car race (not like the local club races) that involved multiple tire manufacturers?
No idea. But did they actually try?
Old 17 Feb 2013, 12:22 (Ref:3206189)   #338
GT-Eins
Veteran

Germany
Hannover, Germany
GT-Eins should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridGT-Eins should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
They are the only Tire Manufaturer with a 100% winning record in Le Mans:
1 Appearance & 1 win (in 1952 with the Mercedes 300 SL of Lang/Riess)
In the 60´s and 70´s they provided lots of tires for the Sportscar-World Championship.

Actually their GA-tires are made in a cooperation with Hoosier.
Old 17 Feb 2013, 15:58 (Ref:3206231)   #339
gregtummer
Veteran

gregtummer should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
So we still have the "orange blossoms" rumor out there right?

Oreca 03 or Team Manthey?
Old 17 Feb 2013, 18:01 (Ref:3206256)   #340
The Badger
Veteran

The Badger has a real shot at the podium!The Badger has a real shot at the podium!The Badger has a real shot at the podium!The Badger has a real shot at the podium!
I reckon its an Oreca 03 .....
Old 17 Feb 2013, 21:33 (Ref:3206358)   #341
HORNDAWG
Veteran

United States
Oregon
Quote:
That's not the conversation we're having. Whether PC or P2 on Continentals would necessarily be slow enough as to further interfere with GT is.

2 different topics. Pay attention. Thanks so much.
It is the conversation we are having. If Conti can not reach the level of the Michelins it slows everything down, which puts them square in the way of the free tire class GTEs. As to the last part of your post !!

L.P.
Old 18 Feb 2013, 00:47 (Ref:3206471)   #342
JLGarcia
Racer

Quote:
Originally Posted by HORNDAWG View Post
It is the conversation we are having. If Conti can not reach the level of the Michelins it slows everything down, which puts them square in the way of the free tire class GTEs. As to the last part of your post !!

L.P.
I'm going to type s-l-o-w-l-y: Whether Continental (is is that hard to type out?) can compete directly with Michelin is irrelevant to whether they can produce a faster compound than the current DP tire, thus getting the PC cars out of the way of GT.

J.G.
Old 18 Feb 2013, 00:58 (Ref:3206476)   #343
NaBUru38
Veteran

Uruguay
Las Canteras, Uruguay
NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Continental (is is that hard to type out?)
Conti is a nickname, like Schumi, Nando, Bimmer (Bemba) and Porks (Porsche).
Old 18 Feb 2013, 05:33 (Ref:3206545)   #344
Maelochs
Veteran

Maelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
JLGarcia—If Continental produces tires for P2, then the question of whether Continental can match Michelin becomes very important.

P2 teams wanting to go to Le Mans will have to either switch to Michelins (and learn all new set-ups for varying conditions, which will be a set-back) or run on Contis, so if the Contis aren’t as good as the Michelins, there will be an issue. And at Le mans if North American P2s are on Copntis they will have to vccompete directly with Michelin.

I am sure Continental can produce a wide range of racing tires—their Hoosier division does for oval-track racers. On the other hand, will Continental do the development work to catch them up with Michelin (which is the world standard for sports car tires currently) by the start of 2014? Will they want to make that investment?

Michelin has been gathering data and doing real-world testing (racing) for a whole lot of years. Can Conti catch up in 18 months? Rather, will they choose to spend the money?

Also—telling people what to talk about might be fine in some communities. Here, if it’s about racing and reasonably relevant, we kind of go with the flow.
Old 19 Feb 2013, 20:57 (Ref:3207469)   #345
Bubak
Rookie

Bubak should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridBubak should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
What can I say?

https://twitter.com/johndagys/status/303970687285084161
Quote:
Note: Porsche 991 set to test at Sebring ahead of @FIAWEC season. Not expected to race in #ALMS this year.
Old 20 Feb 2013, 00:22 (Ref:3207581)   #346
Livininthinair
Veteran

United States
Colorado
Livininthinair should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridLivininthinair should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bubak View Post

Things that make you say hmmmmmm....... What would be the point of bringing a 991 RSR to America this early in the season? just to test at Sebring? then not turn a single lap in anger? There has to be more to this story...
Old 20 Feb 2013, 00:39 (Ref:3207588)   #347
gregtummer
Veteran

gregtummer should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
"Orange blossoms?"
Old 20 Feb 2013, 01:02 (Ref:3207597)   #348
joeb
Race Official
Veteran

United States
Baton Rouge, LA
joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Livininthinair View Post
Things that make you say hmmmmmm....... What would be the point of bringing a 991 RSR to America this early in the season? just to test at Sebring? then not turn a single lap in anger? There has to be more to this story...
I agree, but testing and not running isn't unheard of. Audi did it a few years ago. Plus Sebring has the obvious benefit if being warm at this time of year. Not to mention its ability to break cars
Old 20 Feb 2013, 02:44 (Ref:3207610)   #349
joeb
Race Official
Veteran

United States
Baton Rouge, LA
joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by gregtummer View Post
"Orange blossoms?"
I just thought of a few "out there" orange connections - based on car colours of course! How about a Autocon P2? Or an 8star Ferrari? The 8star camp is in Florida too, where a lot of oranges are grown
Old 20 Feb 2013, 06:44 (Ref:3207693)   #350
Octane
Rookie

Australia
Sydney, Australia
Octane should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Who's going this year?