Other - let me know!! 7 16.67%
Voters: 42. You may not vote on this poll

Old 8 Mar 2008, 23:24 (Ref:2147160)   #326
Davie-c
Racer

Scotland
Armadale,Scotland
Davie-c should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
You get some observers who don't tell you anything.I had one at Croft last Sunday that didn't tell any one when to be back for after lunch.He couldn't get into his car any quicker.Luckily I had my scanner with me and had to tell everyone on post when to be back for.
Car Scrutineer
BMMC Member
Old 8 Mar 2008, 23:36 (Ref:2147168)   #327
blackx
Veteran

England
blackx should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
As I said before........

On hillclimbs (my main pastime) I really dont see the need for them

Circuits perhaps but not hillclimbs...

If someone has one ear on a scanner then they dont have 2 ears on the track/post chief/fellow marshal..

An earpiece can and will take presidence over everything else going on around you (just try it with an MP3 player)...

*post and be damned*
Old 9 Mar 2008, 00:00 (Ref:2147184)   #328
Sheila M
Veteran

England
Burton-Upon-Trent
Sheila M should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridSheila M should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by blackx
As I said before........

On hillclimbs (my main pastime) I really dont see the need for them

Circuits perhaps but not hillclimbs...

If someone has one ear on a scanner then they dont have 2 ears on the track/post chief/fellow marshal..

An earpiece can and will take presidence over everything else going on around you (just try it with an MP3 player)...

*post and be damned*
I disagree. As Course Controller and Clerk of the Course at sprints I find that radios can fail frequently. If one marshal per post has a scanner at least I know that SOMEONE can hear any urgent messages.
Old 9 Mar 2008, 00:13 (Ref:2147191)   #329
blackx
Veteran

England
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheila M
I disagree. As Course Controller and Clerk of the Course at sprints I find that radios can fail frequently. If one marshal per post has a scanner at least I know that SOMEONE can hear any urgent messages.

Just remind me what we did before radios were common place

What is considered your first line of defence at a hillclimb or sprint ??

Its a bit of wood with some red cloth on the end of it.....

In the event of comms failure then the red flag will stop the meeting and then the clerk or a deputy will investigate the stoppage.....
Old 9 Mar 2008, 07:30 (Ref:2147303)   #330
Lord Summerisle
Veteran

England
Lancs
Lord Summerisle should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
When i got the Maycom from Maplin, it came with a sticker on the back from Nevada Radio who i got my wifes one from - ex display model for a good discount
Old 9 Mar 2008, 10:15 (Ref:2147397)   #331
fazza
Veteran

United Kingdom
Wigan
fazza should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Just remind me what we did before radios were common place .....
This is just the thinking that drives people away from marshalling. There are systems and technology that assist us to do our job is a much more efficiant and safe manner.

Take this for eg
sample... any track ciriut hillclimb whatever driver leaves pits of starts on his way passing a red light or flag. first this that anyone knows is the radio control is informed. At the same time Jonny Marshal is on the track kicking off half the front end of the previous car.

Post Chief is in the Blue Tardis (WC) Jonny Marshal has scanner hears the radio call and get to saftey.

If no scanner the first the team know is car comming hurtaling round the corner at them.

This has happened and will happen again. no one was at fault (well maybe the driver) but good use of technology to enhance saftey.

Please don't always think 'well this is how we did it in the old days' there were a lot more hurt and killed in the old days to.

As I previously stated when the race is on scanners are a backup to the normal communications. Having a scanner on and listening to it at the same time as concentrating on the track is not dangerous if it where then all Radios and Pit to Driver comms would be banned from the sport.
Old 9 Mar 2008, 11:19 (Ref:2147431)   #332
blackx
Veteran

England
Quote:
Originally Posted by fazza
This is just the thinking that drives people away from marshalling. There are systems and technology that assist us to do our job is a much more efficiant and safe manner.

Not sure how you come to that conclusion

Its all very well and good on circuits but no-one seems to have bothered to read all of my posts or if they have they have chosen to ignore certain parts of them...

For the main I am talking of hillclimbs .....

Anyone who relies solely on technology and ignores the more simplistic methods totally is one day going to wish they hadnt....

I probably wont post on this subject again as its becoming clear all the circuit boys and girls like their gadgets so I'll leave you all to wax lyrical about them
Old 9 Mar 2008, 20:28 (Ref:2147722)   #333
mattt
Veteran

England
Cambridge
mattt should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridmattt should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
i found my scanner very useful today on startline, as it meant that we knew what the countdown was even when we werent looking. it also meant that i know when cars were missing from assembly. and several times the scanner meant that i was prepared for any situations that were/had happened eg assisting the starter with the numbers board.
Old 9 Mar 2008, 20:40 (Ref:2147729)   #334
JIMGOD
Racer

United Kingdom
huthwaite
JIMGOD should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
first time with scanner on bank today and would recommend it, certainly keeps you informed on what is happening on course, 2 red flags today,lots of waved yellows etc. around course so for me and others on post it was worth having.
Old 9 Mar 2008, 21:44 (Ref:2147788)   #335
AndyT
Racer

England
Peterborough
AndyT should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Used Maycom AR-108 today for the 1st time, very good. Found at Maplin when it opened in Peterborough recently for £39.99, it also had Navada sticker on back

Andy
Old 9 Mar 2008, 21:46 (Ref:2147790)   #336
Mark Mitchell
Veteran

England
Staffordshire Moorlands
Mark Mitchell should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridMark Mitchell should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridMark Mitchell should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridMark Mitchell should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lord Summerisle
When i got the Maycom from Maplin, it came with a sticker on the back from Nevada Radio who i got my wifes one from - ex display model for a good discount

Sorry but reading your post very quickly.....I read it as Nevada where i got my wife from - ex model for a good discount

Must buy glasses!
Old 9 Mar 2008, 23:32 (Ref:2147871)   #337
Fireblade
Racer

Fireblade should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by fazza

There is no law against there use,
Really?

So you haven't heard of Section 5(b) of the Wireless Telegraphy Act 1949
which

"makes it an offence if a person "otherwise than under the authority of a designated person", either:

"(i) uses any wireless telegraphy apparatus with intent to obtain information as to the contents, sender or addressee of any message whether sent by means of wireless telegraphy or not, of which neither the person using the apparatus nor a person on whose behalf he is acting is an intended recipient"
This means that it is illegal to listen to anything other than general reception transmissions unless you are either a licensed user of the frequencies in question or have been specifically authorised to do so by a designated person. A designated person means:

a. the Secretary of State;
b. the Commissioners of Customs and Excise; or
c. any other person designated for the purpose by regulations made by the Secretary of State.

Perhaps some bedtime reading is in order.

Regards

Al Rayner
Old 10 Mar 2008, 08:03 (Ref:2148060)   #338
Mark Mitchell
Veteran

England
Staffordshire Moorlands
Mark Mitchell should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridMark Mitchell should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridMark Mitchell should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridMark Mitchell should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
This thread really has gone wayward now!
Old 10 Mar 2008, 08:07 (Ref:2148067)   #339
Justin Moran
Veteran

UK-ROI
St Helens
Justin Moran should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridJustin Moran should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Just thinking the same thing Mark! Besides some of us have Marine VHF Licences so we are authoirised to listen in to those frequencies!
Old 10 Mar 2008, 08:11 (Ref:2148069)   #340
Mark Mitchell
Veteran

England
Staffordshire Moorlands
And I have cycling proficiency badge......so am qualified too!
Old 10 Mar 2008, 08:24 (Ref:2148085)   #341
devon kev
Racer

Guernsey
MELBOURNE DERBY
devon kev should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I got a 50m swimming badge, does that count too
Old 10 Mar 2008, 08:52 (Ref:2148096)   #342
Col_Rugby
Pancake Botherer
Racer

England
Rugby
Col_Rugby should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by devon kev
I got a 50m swimming badge, does that count too

Unfortunately not Kev.

It needs to be a minimum of 100m
Old 10 Mar 2008, 08:55 (Ref:2148097)   #343
Lord Summerisle
Veteran

England
Lancs
Lord Summerisle should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
But then Lady Summerisle is a current model
Old 10 Mar 2008, 09:03 (Ref:2148103)   #344
The Fat Clerk
Veteran

Northern Ireland
Bishopscourt
The Fat Clerk should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridThe Fat Clerk should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I'm 6 foot 7 tall, means I can paddle well
Old 10 Mar 2008, 09:42 (Ref:2148133)   #345
Justin Moran
Veteran

UK-ROI
St Helens
Justin Moran should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridJustin Moran should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Old 10 Mar 2008, 11:46 (Ref:2148222)   #346
Peter Harding
Veteran

England
Colchester
Peter Harding should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Fat Clerk
I'm 6 foot 7 tall, means I can paddle well
also exempts you from complying with any bureaucracy applied by anyone under 6 foot
Old 10 Mar 2008, 12:13 (Ref:2148238)   #347
The Fat Clerk
Veteran

Northern Ireland
Bishopscourt
The Fat Clerk should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridThe Fat Clerk should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
That applys to you as well then Pete!
Old 10 Mar 2008, 12:53 (Ref:2148266)   #348
Nexus
Racer

England
Chesterfield, Derbys
Nexus should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
I probably wont post on this subject again as its becoming clear all the circuit boys and girls like their gadgets so I'll leave you all to wax lyrical about them
Oh don't be so pathetic and patronising, You seem to be ignoring the points people are making towards the benefits of scanners too.
Quote:
If they have any questions about delays or any aspect of the meeting then they can ask me and if I know I will tell them or indeed if possible find out for them...
From the first post you made on this subject it seems you are more upset that people "under" you on a post don't come and ask you questions, do you think the use of them undermines your authority?

Last edited by Nexus; 10 Mar 2008 at 12:56.
Old 10 Mar 2008, 14:30 (Ref:2148379)   #349
fazza
Veteran

United Kingdom
Wigan
fazza should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by C9/89
Earthquake warning Justin is rolling around splitting his sides,,,,, run for the hills

Last edited by fazza; 10 Mar 2008 at 14:35.
Old 10 Mar 2008, 14:50 (Ref:2148398)   #350
blackx
Veteran

England
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nexus
Oh don't be so pathetic and patronising, You seem to be ignoring the points people are making towards the benefits of scanners too.

Pathetic and patronising

If the reasons for not bothering to post (untill you gave me such a laugh I nearly fell off my chair anyway) are lost on you then perhaps scanners are something best left for later in life anyway

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nexus
From the first post you made on this subject it seems you are more upset that people "under" you on a post don't come and ask you questions, do you think the use of them undermines your authority?

My authority as you call it is given to me by those in higher authority and as such I am responsible for everyone on my post at a hillclimb

If someone is spending more time adjusting the volume and trying to listen to what someone else is saying (which is most likely something that doesnt concern them anyway) then they are not fully focused on the main reason for being at the event anyway in which case they can either turn it off or go sit in the public enclosure and twiddle their knobs to their hearts content...

Perhaps in fact the mass defence os such things as scanners is in fact a show of insecurity in as much as some marshals think someone may be saying something without them knowing so they just have to listen to everything that goes on in case