Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 14 Sep 2013, 19:19 (Ref:3303954)   #326
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
Lymington, New Forest, England
Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Well, there have been enough good responses to at least be optimistic, surely?
Old 14 Sep 2013, 20:45 (Ref:3303993)   #327
Brynmor
Rookie

Brynmor should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I saw it last night, it's not a documentary chaps it's a Film....and as such it was cracking...my wife took me along and didn't have a clue about the history behind it, she thought it was brilliant

The best acting in it is the chap playing Niki Lauda, truly wonderful portrayal, and the fact right at the end the film it shows you the two real people behind it, really brings it to life.

If you go expecting a documentary be very disappointed, but it's NOT meant to be .... if you go expecting a good film based around real events with some poetic licence....ENJOY
Old 14 Sep 2013, 21:07 (Ref:3303999)   #328
leonidas
Veteran

England
Coventry
leonidas should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridleonidas should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Bruhl is brilliant as Lauda - captures him so well. Hemsworth presents a slightly cardboard cutout image of Hunt but is okay. The cinematography is top notch. (Yes you have to suspend disbelief at times - Monza and Fuji look rather too much a well known British circuit despite the best efforts of CGI - but we all knew this would be the case). Overall its really very well done and captures the mood of perhaps the greatest ever F1 season. The end is particularly poignant. So sad that we lost James so young...
Old 15 Sep 2013, 03:31 (Ref:3304074)   #329
Mekola
Veteran

Kiribati
Atlantis
Mekola should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridMekola should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridMekola should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
How is Carlos Reutemann depicted, or suggested, in "Rush"? I'm intrigued about it. The movie is expected to be released in Argentina at the end of October.
In the cast I see no actor credited as Reutemann. Strange, since he was expected to replace Lauda in the 1976 Italian GP.

Last edited by Mekola; 15 Sep 2013 at 03:36.
Old 15 Sep 2013, 07:04 (Ref:3304113)   #330
Peat
Veteran

United Kingdom
Dahn Sahf
Peat has a real shot at the podium!Peat has a real shot at the podium!Peat has a real shot at the podium!Peat has a real shot at the podium!Peat has a real shot at the podium!
He is refered to but doe not feature IIRC.
Old 15 Sep 2013, 13:48 (Ref:3304245)   #331
Knowlesy
20KPINAL

Knowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
It is an excellent film, very well shot.

Yes, it plays fast and loose with the facts at times. Well, so does Senna and nobody seemed to complain about that.

Overall it is excellent, if you have the mental capacity to view it on its own merits as an action film. The casting, in particular, is outstanding.
Old 15 Sep 2013, 16:40 (Ref:3304309)   #332
ScotsBrutesFan
Race Official
Veteran

Scotland
West Lothian
ScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Literally just in the door from watching it at the local multiplex - 50 people at most in a 300 seat cinema.

I though as a bio-pic of the two it was superb, in some ways the racing was merely a by the way, and at times it felt like that so as a racing movie I'd say it failed.

I should say being born in 74, that I have no direct recollection of the events, but have read about them.

The portrayal of Lauda by Bruhl was superb, he really captured the intensity of Lauda. Hemsworth's Hunt while very good, just didn't quite hit my expectations.
I have no idea as to how accurately Clay Regazzoni was portrayed but Pierfranco Favino stole several scenes in my view.

The cinematgraphy was superb, but I must admit that despite going in with the intention of parking my brain at the door, I couldn't help but recognise various corners as not being on the circuits they were claimed to be. I know most of the circuits no longer exist in those configurations, but it was a distraction.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mekola View Post
How is Carlos Reutemann depicted, or suggested, in "Rush"? I'm intrigued about it. The movie is expected to be released in Argentina at the end of October.
In the cast I see no actor credited as Reutemann. Strange, since he was expected to replace Lauda in the 1976 Italian GP.
Reutemann is mentioned as a replacement but this is in passing, as Lauda comes back to race, he isn't actually represented in the movie.

Overall I'd say perhaps 7.5 out of 10 on the "SBF's Not a cinema critic" scale.
Old 15 Sep 2013, 17:27 (Ref:3304314)   #333
I Rosputnik
Veteran

United Kingdom
Livingston, Scotland
I Rosputnik should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridI Rosputnik should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Saw it yesterday and I really enjoyed the film. Definitely gave you the feeling of the time it was set in. Although you could tell the track they used was Brands Hatch.

One that did surprise me after coming home was learning that Rob Austin from the BTCC plays as Brett Lunger in the film.
Old 15 Sep 2013, 21:15 (Ref:3304424)   #334
Greem
Veteran

United Kingdom
Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Rob Austin's dad owns several of the cars used in the film, including the actual Lunger car from the 1976 season that Rob drives.
Old 15 Sep 2013, 22:25 (Ref:3304444)   #335
Born Racer
Race Official
Veteran

Born Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
I've just got back from seeing Rush and enjoyed it.

I think I go into a motorsport film with different expectations from what I might have had previously. The racing itself is shot too intensely for my liking (by which I mean, fast-paced shot changes and close-ups, not giving you a sense of the race but of a dizzying, thrilling ride).

As a story though, I think it plays out well without ever getting overly sentimental. I've always found Niki an intriguing chap and warmed to him overall and noticed that I felt I "got to know him" better in the film, which must say a lot for the portrayl of him by his actor; he felt highly plausible as Niki.

My only concerns I suppose are more what people might deduce from the characters in terms of real events. I was able to enjoy telling my girlfriend, who was enjoying the film a lot, just how many details were true (James's pre-race vomiting, the confusion at the end of Fuji, Lauda being offered a cover-up excuse for his retirement, etc), along the lines of how truth can be stranger than fiction, but I had a few questions myself at the end. Above all, as I understand it, there was not such an underlying animosity between them, at least perpetuated as far as 1976. Can someone confirm if this was the case? Either way, they did have the decency to somehow portray a mutual respect between the two drivers throughout the film, even as there were tensions between the characters which appear to have been exaggerated significantly.

Did James attack the reporter who asked Niki that harsh question? (Did that indeed happen?).

Overall, a good film. It's better to not expect a motorsport film to provide better motorsport than motorsport itself. (And, as far as I spotted, there was no sudden foot to the floor because I need to accelerate more, which is a bugbear of mine in other such films).
Old 16 Sep 2013, 09:14 (Ref:3304604)   #336
GT6
Veteran

England
MAIDSTONE, KENT, ENGLAND
GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScotsBrutesFan View Post
Literally just in the door from watching it at the local multiplex - 50 people at most in a 300 seat cinema.
I went 12.30 on Saturday and the cinema was perhaps 20% capacity but thought that was just the time, seems that despite being a great story and brilliantly made it is struggling to appeal to the younger audience but word of mouth may help it to attract people.
Old 16 Sep 2013, 09:39 (Ref:3304611)   #337
spider
Veteran

England
London
spider should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridspider should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
It was a good film, from an acting point of view.

The racing itself at time was hilariously edited - like Andretti holding-up Lauda whilst queuing in the pits at the Nurburgring - Niki squeezes by as Mario slithers into his pay, and then two minutes later Niki is overtaking him on-track (at about 20mph).

The racing scenes are better than Driven, no doubt, but agree with some of the posts here that the zoom-in, zoom-out, up-high, under-car shots make it difficult to get a feel of what's going-on.

Brands being used for a number of the shots - including seeing Southbank in the background during the driver briefing/row, was amusing...as is the Clay/Niki chat in the walk-way under the start/finish line.

It's a good film, with the actor playing Niki in particular being impressive - especially with his body language...perfectly done.

But, as I took the missus, at times I felt myself sweating in embarrassment at some of the on-track 30mph racing shots...
Old 16 Sep 2013, 19:54 (Ref:3304847)   #338
retrognome
Racer

retrognome should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridretrognome should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I also believed in Lauda, but not Hunt. My preview was attended by Rob Austin and a lot of his followers who had no knowledge of 1976, so they sang along with the script and, fuelled by wine and lager, left
happy. Not sure it could ever be used as a BBC documentary though, but what the heck, why let the facts get in the way of a good story. Hope they never make a movie about 2013 season, the cinema will be empty.
Old 17 Sep 2013, 00:58 (Ref:3304951)   #339
wnut
Veteran

wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Knowlesy View Post
It is an excellent film, very well shot.

Yes, it plays fast and loose with the facts at times. Well, so does Senna and nobody seemed to complain about that.

Overall it is excellent, if you have the mental capacity to view it on its own merits as an action film. The casting, in particular, is outstanding.
Good, now we have established it has nothing much to do with F1 can we move it to arm chair enthusiast.
Old 17 Sep 2013, 09:40 (Ref:3305107)   #340
Knowlesy
20KPINAL

Knowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Eh?
Old 17 Sep 2013, 10:01 (Ref:3305117)   #341
numbersix
Pie On 'ere
Veteran

England
Smaug. Desolation of.
numbersix will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famenumbersix will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famenumbersix will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famenumbersix will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famenumbersix will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famenumbersix will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famenumbersix will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famenumbersix will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by Born Racer View Post
...Did James attack the reporter who asked Niki that harsh question? (Did that indeed happen?).
The little sod smacked a marshal trying to help him. Perhaps the scriptwriter used poetic licence 'based on true events'.
Old 17 Sep 2013, 10:18 (Ref:3305127)   #342
wnut
Veteran

wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by numbersix View Post
The little sod smacked a marshal trying to help him. Perhaps the scriptwriter used poetic licence 'based on true events'.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DpZnE7gj0gY

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1itUrFokDhs
Old 17 Sep 2013, 18:12 (Ref:3305325)   #343
Bononi
Race Official
20KPINAL

Bononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Couldn't watch it last sunday... I'm planning maybe saturday, if everything goes right.
Old 17 Sep 2013, 18:33 (Ref:3305336)   #344
bjohnsonsmith
Race Official
20KPINAL

United States
London, England
bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!
It would appear Hunt had a bit of habit for decking people. He knocked Dave Morgan down after the two came together just before the chequered flag at the Daily Express F3 Trophy, Crystal Palace in 1970. You can just make out the incident to the left of the screen 13:50 into the footage.

http://youtu.be/DSCDucychzA
Old 17 Sep 2013, 20:09 (Ref:3305399)   #345
fourWheelDrift
Veteran

United Kingdom
fourWheelDrift should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridfourWheelDrift should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridfourWheelDrift should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridfourWheelDrift should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Seen it tonight with my (non enthusiast) son.

Good film but not that special, I think the boy enjoyed it more than me because he didn't know what was going to happen next.

I didn't expect it to be aimed at the motorsport fan and having seen it, it really isn't, that's probably a good thing as it nets a wider market and must be good for awareness of the sport.

Don't let that stop you going to see it though, it's an entertaining enough way to spend a couple of hours.
Old 17 Sep 2013, 20:29 (Ref:3305410)   #346
bravo
Racer

England
North East England
bravo should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
My better half and I went to see Rush on Saturday night at the very excellent independent Tyneside Cinema. The classic circle (big comfy leather sofas) was pretty much full (about 50-60 people) and I don't know how many were in the stalls. The Tynside Cinema audience are a enthusiastic bunch and really embrace these non-mainstream films.

I learnt 2 things that night.

1. Parking in Newcastle centre on a Saturday evening, the night before the Great North Run is just about impossible.
2. If you relax your mind and enjoy the film for what it is you will have a great evening. There are some truly laugh out loud moments, Bruhl is thoroughly convincing, and the cars look and sound beautiful.
Old 17 Sep 2013, 21:19 (Ref:3305434)   #347
Born Racer
Race Official
Veteran

Born Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
I had a sneaky snigger at the stuff about the Ferrari being **** and who cares if it's a Ferrari. Lauda's imitation of the Ferrari mechanic was priceless.
Old 17 Sep 2013, 23:39 (Ref:3305511)   #348
DAVID PATERSON
Veteran

Australia
Brisbane, Qld, Australia
DAVID PATERSON should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridDAVID PATERSON should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridDAVID PATERSON should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Not released in Australia until the 3rd of October.
Old 18 Sep 2013, 01:26 (Ref:3305526)   #349
wnut
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by bjohnsonsmith View Post
It would appear Hunt had a bit of habit for decking people. He knocked Dave Morgan down after the two came together just before the chequered flag at the Daily Express F3 Trophy, Crystal Palace in 1970. You can just make out the incident to the left of the screen 13:50 into the footage.

http://youtu.be/DSCDucychzA
Thanks BJ that one had totally slipped my mind.

Anymore, anyone?
Old 20 Sep 2013, 23:01 (Ref:3306848)   #350
Catingaround
Racer

United States
Connecticut
Catingaround should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I won a chance to see a pre-screening of RUSH last night from Lime Rock Park. Included was a reception at Highcroft Racing's HQ where they had one of Hunts McLaren/Cosworth M23's. Very nice example, the car still has it's original paint and the color-fade/patina looked great.

my phone must have been a bit dirty, all the pics were a bit blurred

As far as the movie, I enjoyed it, the cars and racing weren't the main focus but a great story just the same.