Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Sportscar & GT Racing > 24 Heures du Mans

Old 2 Feb 2009, 00:35 (Ref:2383914)   #326
deggis
Veteran

Finland
deggis is going for a new world record!deggis is going for a new world record!deggis is going for a new world record!deggis is going for a new world record!deggis is going for a new world record!deggis is going for a new world record!deggis is going for a new world record!
Scott Atherton teasing:
Quote:
"We have a major manufacturer that is working on a prototype and it's not Peugeot. This one is completely undercover right now. I hate to sound like we're throwing stuff out there just to bait people but it's not the case. We literally had to sign an NDA (non-disclosure agreement) that's 100 pages long. Our technical people have travelled to their R&D center two or three times now."

"We are also working closely with the FIA and the ACO because to be candid the rule book doesn't take this kind of technology into consideration. Thankfully, they (the un-named manufacturer) have approached us in the early, early days of its development to say 'we want to share with you what we're working on because the last thing we want to have happen is for us to show and say we want to come race and you have you guys turn us away at the door because you have no basis for managing, controlling, any oversight over what this technology can do."

[...]

Referring back to the manufacturer developing the new hybrid technology, Atherton tells GFF "they said specifically, they recognize the opportunity to compete in the ALMS because their absolute goal of racing is not to simply show up with a very effective race car, but its to develop this technology so it can be applied to the road car that much faster."
http://greenfuelsforecast.com/Articl...?articleID=681

Story dated 12 Jan, interview likely from Detroit Auto Show.

What else could that be other than Toyota?

Last edited by deggis; 2 Feb 2009 at 00:41.
Old 2 Feb 2009, 01:08 (Ref:2383923)   #327
The Badger
Veteran

The Badger has a real shot at the podium!The Badger has a real shot at the podium!The Badger has a real shot at the podium!The Badger has a real shot at the podium!
How about Ferrari ?
Old 2 Feb 2009, 01:50 (Ref:2383946)   #328
Hugewally
Veteran

United States
Largo, FL USA
Hugewally should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
A Ferrari Hybrid?
Old 2 Feb 2009, 05:05 (Ref:2383992)   #329
TWK
Veteran

TWK should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridTWK should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Way back on April 1st 2008, almost a year ago, there were already a few possibilities being talked about around the paddock, one of which had gotten a visit from "a technical person."
Quote:
81. New manufacturer?

A “new manufacturer” for ALMS? The Big Boss has been quoted that one is on the way. Here’s a bunch of scurrilous rumor and irresponsible speculation.

The Euro Contenders

Could another entry come from a European manufacturer? Now that the big cat is a Bengal tiger, are we about to be treated to some big Tatas? It would seem way too soon after the financial transaction for a change of direction of that magnitude, wouldn’t it?

How about First Lover? That would fit the “Italian scribe connection.” A USA market entry may still be in the plans. Is the distribution agreement with GM still in place? The chassis deal was canceled even before it got to the model builder, but that wouldn’t rule out an engine in an off-the-shelf chassis (there are a couple of those around already). Murphy’s not convinced.

There’s no reason at all to expect the return to racing of the one-time builder of the grandfather clock engine.

Asia in the Game?

So what – aside from Tata on the Indian sub-continent – is going on in Asia? Connor was told the Skyline is well and truly dead – if it were ever alive – as a North American racing program. In fact, they aren’t happy at all in Ginsu about the proposed Super GT engine rules, and could well dump that program, too.

Kia? No buzz at all. Subaru? It’s been two years since Connor heard about an idea to put the turbo rally engine in the still-unseen Panhard. Hyundai? More a case of why they should, than anyone hearing they will.

Murphy’s pick? Folks flew from Atlanta and met with a kabushiki kaisha in Aichi. Will a second try have a better outcome?
Old 2 Feb 2009, 05:41 (Ref:2384005)   #330
deggis
Veteran

Finland
deggis is going for a new world record!deggis is going for a new world record!deggis is going for a new world record!deggis is going for a new world record!deggis is going for a new world record!deggis is going for a new world record!deggis is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hugewally
A Ferrari Hybrid?
F1?
Old 2 Feb 2009, 07:44 (Ref:2384023)   #331
CTD
Veteran

Denmark
Aarhus, Jylland, Denmark
CTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by deggis
F1?
Ferrari will not compete in prototypes, except, if it's as a supporting part of another Chassis (kinda like Aston - Lola).
People dont combine Ferrari and Le Mans (Prototypes) together no more, so why should Ferrari!, they do also have the greatest exposure of there brand in F1 they could ever want!..
There's little doubt in my mind that it's Toyota/Dome which is referred to!.
Otherwise i think Nissan or Suzuki is an option.
But a manufacture, we kinda have forgotten about, which could be interested in developing a Prototype, is Mazda!.. They soon have the engine running at full speed, and with the 2011 rules coming very soon, an P1 chassis could be starting to be developed!.
Old 2 Feb 2009, 10:53 (Ref:2384142)   #332
Mal
Veteran

England
London
Mal is going for a new world record!Mal is going for a new world record!Mal is going for a new world record!Mal is going for a new world record!Mal is going for a new world record!Mal is going for a new world record!Mal is going for a new world record!
If the FIAT group goes back to prototypes it is more likely to be with Maserati or Alfa than with Ferrari.
Old 2 Feb 2009, 10:58 (Ref:2384146)   #333
CTD
Veteran

Denmark
Aarhus, Jylland, Denmark
CTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mal
If the FIAT group goes back to prototypes it is more likely to be with Maserati or Alfa than with Ferrari.
But in any case thats unlikely, because of poor economics! (or possible take over/Joining the PSA group, which already has a racing program!)
Old 2 Feb 2009, 11:06 (Ref:2384155)   #334
Mal
Veteran

England
London
Mal is going for a new world record!Mal is going for a new world record!Mal is going for a new world record!Mal is going for a new world record!Mal is going for a new world record!Mal is going for a new world record!Mal is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by CTD
But in any case thats unlikely, because of poor economics! (or possible take over/Joining the PSA group, which already has a racing program!)
Maybe they could slot a V12 Maserati engine in the peugeot chassis!! Dream on I Suppose
Old 2 Feb 2009, 11:21 (Ref:2386511)   #335
CTD
Veteran

Denmark
Aarhus, Jylland, Denmark
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mal
Maybe they could slot a V12 Maserati engine in the peugeot chassis!! Dream on I Suppose
Haha, keep dreaming yeah .
But a Maserati V12 in a Lola purhaps .
Could be fun if Lola makes a B09 Coupe, which can accept all types of different Sportcar engines! (Aston, Maserati, Ferrari, Mercedes, -->)
Old 2 Feb 2009, 15:56 (Ref:2386637)   #336
prototype
Veteran

United States
Atlanta, Georgia
prototype should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
How close is this Toyota prototype rumor to coming true. This thread has been here forever, and I still haven't heard anything.
Old 2 Feb 2009, 16:33 (Ref:2386659)   #337
The Badger
Veteran

The Badger has a real shot at the podium!The Badger has a real shot at the podium!The Badger has a real shot at the podium!The Badger has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by CTD
Haha, keep dreaming yeah .
Almost as comical as the thought of dropping a Judd V10 into a Ferrari 333SP !!
Old 2 Feb 2009, 16:37 (Ref:2386665)   #338
CTD
Veteran

Denmark
Aarhus, Jylland, Denmark
Quote:
Originally Posted by prototype
How close is this Toyota prototype rumor to coming true. This thread has been here forever, and I still haven't heard anything.
It's very on/off, last time we thought the car would be shown, was at the Toyota Motorsport Festival, but that was a big disappointment!. If Toyota is coming to Le Mans i think it's going to be in 2010, with a "test" run, and then going for the gold at 2011, with a Hybrid (Dome) Toyota!
Old 2 Feb 2009, 17:15 (Ref:2386702)   #339
Hugewally
Veteran

United States
Largo, FL USA
Hugewally should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I think we'll see them in the ALMS before they go to Le Mans.
Old 2 Feb 2009, 18:34 (Ref:2386772)   #340
CTD
Veteran

Denmark
Aarhus, Jylland, Denmark
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hugewally
I think we'll see them in the ALMS before they go to Le Mans.
They should have learned the lesson with the GT-One, and perhaps they race it every where they can!
Old 2 Feb 2009, 18:34 (Ref:2386773)   #341
deggis
Veteran

Finland
Quote:
Originally Posted by CTD
It's very on/off, last time we thought the car would be shown, was at the Toyota Motorsport Festival, but that was a big disappointment!.
Sam Collins (recently somewhere at racecar-engineering) suggested something changed because of economy. Despite the mysterious LMP look-a-like silhuette on the Toyota website.

Quote:
Originally Posted by prototype
On the previous page you just heard what Scott Atherton have heard.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CTD
Otherwise i think Nissan or Suzuki is an option.
But a manufacture, we kinda have forgotten about, which could be interested in developing a Prototype, is Mazda!.. They soon have the engine running at full speed, and with the 2011 rules coming very soon, an P1 chassis could be starting to be developed!.
Mazda wouldn't be a new manufacturer? Also the old blog entry from Bear (TWK's post on the last page) pretty clearly hints at Toyota, if you google those Japanese words.

Last edited by deggis; 2 Feb 2009 at 18:37.
Old 2 Feb 2009, 18:39 (Ref:2386781)   #342
CTD
Veteran

Denmark
Aarhus, Jylland, Denmark
Quote:
Mazda wouldn't be a new manufacturer.
They would be a new Chassis manufacturer!.
They are only racing AER engines with Mazda badges, so it really doesn't make them an manufacturer!
Old 2 Feb 2009, 18:43 (Ref:2386789)   #343
ss_collins
Veteran

Nigeria
Mooresville, NC
ss_collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridss_collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridss_collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridss_collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Well here is a new Toyota engined Dome prototype... just not the one we were thinking of

http://www.racecar-engineering.com/n...mpionship.html

However I am certain the test mule was built and even an all new chassis but no more info yet. Suspect the economy is key
Old 2 Feb 2009, 18:55 (Ref:2386803)   #344
FIRE
Race Official
Veteran

Netherlands
FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by ss_collins
Well here is a new Toyota engined Dome prototype... just not the one we were thinking of

However I am certain the test mule was built and even an all new chassis but no more info yet. Suspect the economy is key
The formula car looks nice, the other two don't.

What's TODA power?
Old 2 Feb 2009, 19:00 (Ref:2386808)   #345
CTD
Veteran

Denmark
Aarhus, Jylland, Denmark
The Dome reminds me of the Gt-One!. And looks like a Lm Prototype!?, or is it just me seeing things where i want to?
Old 2 Feb 2009, 19:02 (Ref:2386811)   #346
deggis
Veteran

Finland

(that pic from the Toyota Motorsports Festival website)

=

No? Quite perfect match, imho. Unfortunately.

Last edited by deggis; 2 Feb 2009 at 19:10.
Old 2 Feb 2009, 19:06 (Ref:2386818)   #347
joeb
Race Official
Veteran

United States
Baton Rouge, LA
joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:

Looks like a cool series, I hope it catches on there.
Old 2 Feb 2009, 19:21 (Ref:2386832)   #348
ss_collins
Veteran

Nigeria
Mooresville, NC
ss_collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridss_collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridss_collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridss_collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
I love the mooncraft
Old 2 Feb 2009, 19:37 (Ref:2386846)   #349
juicy sushi
Racer

juicy sushi should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:

as ideas go, that's a pretty good one for a race series.

the cars are pretty funky...
Old 2 Feb 2009, 19:44 (Ref:2386849)   #350
CTD
Veteran

Denmark
Aarhus, Jylland, Denmark
Quote:

(that pic from the Toyota Motorsports Festival website)

=

No? Quite perfect match, imho. Unfortunately.
Hmm well almost!, but the rear wing doesn't!, and the small Dome does fit the silhouette of a normal P1 Coupe, so i wouldn't lay to much in it!