Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Australasian Touring Cars.

Old 12 Aug 2010, 05:00 (Ref:2743365)   #326
mountainstar
Veteran

United States
mountainstar should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridmountainstar should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridmountainstar should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by GTRMagic View Post
The VW Contender looks good as per the specs...
VW has serious plans for worldwide domination with some lofty goals. They aim to stuff Toyota into a bag and keep them there. What that would mean for Australia and motorsport, don't know. I'll just say don't be surprised if they turn up in Nascar in a few years time.

Last edited by Woolley; 12 Aug 2010 at 12:18. Reason: picture doesn't need to be quoted.
Old 12 Aug 2010, 23:44 (Ref:2743835)   #327
Marcos WTF
Racer

Australia
On a former RAAF airfield
Marcos WTF is a back marker
Quote:
Originally Posted by mountainstar View Post
VW has serious plans for worldwide domination with some lofty goals. They aim to stuff Toyota into a bag and keep them there. What that would mean for Australia and motorsport, don't know. I'll just say don't be surprised if they turn up in Nascar in a few years time.
That I'd love to see. Medocirity Motors brought down.

Last edited by Marcos WTF; 12 Aug 2010 at 23:47. Reason: my lousy spelling
Old 15 Aug 2010, 22:33 (Ref:2744966)   #328
mildura1963
Racer

Australia
Ex Mildura now in Hamilton NZ
mildura1963 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Is't the VW a front driver???
Old 15 Aug 2010, 23:08 (Ref:2744979)   #329
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
GTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by mildura1963 View Post
Is't the VW a front driver???
Sure is... if only they would build a 4-motion version with the R32 engine attached....

The Camry in NASCAR was also FWD originally
Old 16 Aug 2010, 00:05 (Ref:2744992)   #330
Mixer
Veteran

Mixer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridMixer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridMixer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridMixer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Sure is... if only they would build a 4-motion version with the R32 engine attached....
The R32 engine is actually a MKIV engine and its pretty poor compared to the rest of the MKV/MKVI engine range.

The Golf R has a much better 2l turbo engine and 4MOTION. Otherwise the Passat CC comes with a 3.6 V6 and 4MOTION that's pretty good too.

I'm guessing the car in the pics is the supposed 2012 Jetta. Probably too small I would have thought for COTF.
Old 16 Aug 2010, 01:53 (Ref:2745015)   #331
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
GTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Nothing wrong with the R32 engine that chucking the ESP couldnt fix
Old 16 Aug 2010, 03:06 (Ref:2745023)   #332
Mixer
Veteran

Mixer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridMixer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridMixer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridMixer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Nothing wrong with the R32 engine that chucking the ESP couldnt fix
There's no doubt its the horniest sounding thing around but the standard GTI engine smashes it because of the mid-range torque.
Old 13 Sep 2010, 02:05 (Ref:2758460)   #333
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
V8Supercar COTF Supply Tenders
Old 22 Sep 2010, 02:05 (Ref:2762815)   #334
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....

First View...

Story Here
Old 22 Sep 2010, 03:14 (Ref:2762822)   #335
FPV8U
Racer

Australia
3rd Rock from the Sun.
FPV8U should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I wonder if the reduction in running costs and "ease" of construction of the new COTF will mean Grid numbers will be allowed to increase?

Will teams be "Allowed" to construct their own Chassis to COTF Specs?
Old 22 Sep 2010, 03:23 (Ref:2762824)   #336
Just Do It!
Veteran

Just Do It! should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridJust Do It! should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridJust Do It! should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Single source supply seems to be the way of the future for Car of the Future
Old 22 Sep 2010, 03:26 (Ref:2762825)   #337
FPV8U
Racer

Australia
3rd Rock from the Sun.
One would assume all repairs would have to be performed by the same people then?

Could put alot of the fabrication guys out of a job in all the individual teams.
Old 31 Oct 2010, 08:51 (Ref:2782830)   #338
TSR
Veteran

Australia
Sutherland Shire
TSR has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
If a one or two new manufactors decide to come into this joke series, will the VE$A slack off the stupid 30 car grid and increase the grid. I know it is a thing that THE BLACK WIGGLE only wants 28, but how do you bring in more/new manufactors and lessing the number of race cars?
2015 V8Supercar Champion #5 PDA Mark Frosty Winterbottom
To Finish First, First you must Finish
Old 1 Nov 2010, 01:33 (Ref:2783198)   #339
Chatters
Veteran

Australia
Radelaide, South Australia
Chatters should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridChatters should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I think we're more likely to see new manfacturers buy into existing teams rather then creating totally new ones from scratch. 28 is a healthy number, I don't believe that adding more cars to the grid will necessarily mean better racing. I don't think there are 10+ drivers currently not in the series who would be able to stick a V8 Supercar anywhere near the pointy end.
"A lot of people go through life doing things badly. Racing’s important to men who do it well. When you’re racing, it... it’s life. Anything that happens before or after... is just waiting." - Steve McQueen
Old 1 Nov 2010, 01:48 (Ref:2783202)   #340
St00ge
Veteran

St00ge should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by FPV8U View Post
One would assume all repairs would have to be performed by the same people then?

Could put alot of the fabrication guys out of a job in all the individual teams.

I was under the impression from some stuff I read/have heard about this COTF that teams could choose to receive the chassis in kit form (I was imagining a flat pack version of a car basically) from who ever wins the tender and build it themselves and also I can't see why they could not repair the cars as well... All teams have fairly serious fab shops with a lot of capital tied up in them it would be stupid for the people in charge to make all this equipment redundant. Also I doubt some 3rd party would put in the hours needed to turn around a smashed up race car between rounds week in week out and imagine how busy they would be after a round like Gold Coast

I suspect we will still see some teams with a "better" chassis than others with this COTF gig

Last edited by St00ge; 1 Nov 2010 at 01:54.
Old 1 Nov 2010, 03:12 (Ref:2783211)   #341
Razor
10-10ths official Trekkie
Veteran

Australia
Behind the wheel
Razor should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridRazor should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridRazor should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chatters View Post
I think we're more likely to see new manfacturers buy into existing teams rather then creating totally new ones from scratch. 28 is a healthy number, I don't believe that adding more cars to the grid will necessarily mean better racing.
Didn't the V8 overlord say he wasn't prepared to create anymore REC's in the near future so that any manfactures could only enter with established teams?
Old 1 Nov 2010, 03:49 (Ref:2783214)   #342
FPV8U
Racer

Australia
3rd Rock from the Sun.
Quote:
Originally Posted by St00ge View Post
I was under the impression from some stuff I read/have heard about this COTF that teams could choose to receive the chassis in kit form (I was imagining a flat pack version of a car basically) from who ever wins the tender and build it themselves and also I can't see why they could not repair the cars as well... All teams have fairly serious fab shops with a lot of capital tied up in them it would be stupid for the people in charge to make all this equipment redundant. Also I doubt some 3rd party would put in the hours needed to turn around a smashed up race car between rounds week in week out and imagine how busy they would be after a round like Gold Coast

I suspect we will still see some teams with a "better" chassis than others with this COTF gig
Agreed all the teams will be equal but some will be more equal than others

Im actually looking forward to seeing the COTF develop over the next 12 months, i thought we would have seen more on this by now.
Old 1 Nov 2010, 04:14 (Ref:2783219)   #343
Bevan-L
Veteran

Australia-Aboriginal
Can-Brah!!
Bevan-L should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
So hypothetically... say BMW wanted to enter V8s as a manufacturer etc... would they really want to just join up with another team????
Old 1 Nov 2010, 04:43 (Ref:2783224)   #344
TSR
Veteran

Australia
Sutherland Shire
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bevan-L View Post
So hypothetically... say BMW wanted to enter V8s as a manufacturer etc... would they really want to just join up with another team????
Arhhh hard question that.......... Answer NO
Old 1 Nov 2010, 05:05 (Ref:2783232)   #345
Bevan-L
Veteran

Australia-Aboriginal
Can-Brah!!
Bevan-L should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by TSR View Post
Arhhh hard question that.......... Answer NO
yeah thats what i thought... anything they enter these days is done as a full works team either as Schnitzer Motorsport or BMW Motorsport..... I cant see them joining up with another team.....

So yeah, i wonder if they are so keen then how are they gonna get on the grid if 28 is the limit....

I hope Lada show interest in joining the series too....
Old 1 Nov 2010, 05:52 (Ref:2783233)   #346
racer69
Veteran

Australia
Sydney, Australia
racer69 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridracer69 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
me too... so long as current Niva owners like myself get a free team membership
Old 1 Nov 2010, 08:29 (Ref:2783263)   #347
TSR
Veteran

Australia
Sutherland Shire
Quote:
yeah thats what i thought... anything they enter these days is done as a full works team either as Schnitzer Motorsport or BMW Motorsport..... I cant see them joining up with another team.....

So yeah, i wonder if they are so keen then how are they gonna get on the grid if 28 is the limit....

And in the latest issue of enws there is still talk of the Wiggle still wanting a 28 car grid.
Old 1 Nov 2010, 11:39 (Ref:2783345)   #348
sizzle
Veteran

Australia
Darwin
sizzle should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridsizzle should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by TSR View Post
And in the latest issue of enws there is still talk of the Wiggle still wanting a 28 car grid.
Quote:
Originally Posted by peckstar View Post
sorry sizzle, not going to trawl through numerous news reports from this year and last but they are there and well reported.

Last year they had the chance to reduce to 28 and made the choice to stay at 29, subsequantly they have agreed to stay at 29 and are now introducing a wild card so they can potentially be 30 cars
Not according to Pecky in post 332.
Old 3 Nov 2010, 09:33 (Ref:2784345)   #349
peckstar
Veteran

Cayman Islands
peckstar has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
and having read that article, its still true.

some vague reference to some long standing preference, no mention of the wiggle (TSR took poetic licence)

and i think Branigan (the articles author) also took poetic licence.

V8SA will only take over the 29th licence if there are no buyers for it (i guess thats a possibility, if GTR's rumour of 5 or more on the market is true. (and no reason to doubt him))
Old 9 Nov 2010, 02:43 (Ref:2787425)   #350
Matt
Veteran

United States
Connecticut
Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!
Just start however many the track will hold.