Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Sportscar & GT Racing > ACO Regulated Series

Old 20 Sep 2011, 11:22 (Ref:2958441)   #3551
alexkiller8
Veteran

alexkiller8 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
well, i don't know if cytosport has bought the car or if is only 1 year leasing but if the cytosport team and AMR join their forces they can use the lola tubs to build the new cars (making some editing, and homologating with a new name, in this way the car is not grandfathered anymore) a lot of money will be saved in this way. Cytosport will run the new car in ALMS, AMR in europe and both of them at le mans. In my opinion is not a bad idea after all.
I know that the car who AMR is currently using is the one of Jan Charouz that he is going to sell (650.000$ the current price)
Old 20 Sep 2011, 11:31 (Ref:2958443)   #3552
CTD
Veteran

Denmark
Aarhus, Jylland, Denmark
CTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by alexkiller8 View Post
well, i don't know if cytosport has bought the car or if is only 1 year leasing but if the cytosport team and AMR join their forces they can use the lola tubs to build the new cars (making some editing, and homologating with a new name, in this way the car is not grandfathered anymore) a lot of money will be saved in this way. Cytosport will run the new car in ALMS, AMR in europe and both of them at le mans. In my opinion is not a bad idea after all.
I know that the car who AMR is currently using is the one of Jan Charouz that he is going to sell (650.000$ the current price)
The Cytosport is probably on lease to increase it's pedigree.
But you still have the problem of an now elderly tub, with an Engine which probably wont be allowed to race next year (defiantly not competitive).
Besides AMR want to be top runners, and that simply will not happen with those now 3-5 year old cars (difference in Tub age).
Old 20 Sep 2011, 11:39 (Ref:2958449)   #3553
alexkiller8
Veteran

alexkiller8 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
i don't know if tub age is a problem, next year the arx-03 (surely, nothing official still) will use however a little modified arx01 chassis (with a different name surely) that at 99% is the one of the old LC75. For this reason i don't think that the tub age is a problem. About engine surely they should use an other engine, the ideal is to use a reliable aston martinized judd 3.4 v8
Old 20 Sep 2011, 11:45 (Ref:2958451)   #3554
MulsanneMike
Veteran

United States
MulsanneMike has a real shot at the podium!MulsanneMike has a real shot at the podium!MulsanneMike has a real shot at the podium!MulsanneMike has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
i don't know if tub age is a problem, next year the arx-03 (surely, nothing official still) will use however a little modified arx01 chassis (with a different name surely) that at 99% is the one of the old LC75. For this reason i don't think that the tub age is a problem. About engine surely they should use an other engine, the ideal is to use a reliable aston martinized judd 3.4 v8
The ARX-03a's tub is a newly tooled and redesigned monocoque. Thus new built. Wirth says of the new ARX-03a's tub, "It's very different."
Old 20 Sep 2011, 20:35 (Ref:2958745)   #3555
SebringMG
Veteran

United Kingdom
SebringMG should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
As Mike states the ARX03 is a new tub from Wirth. While the Judd V8 is reliable it is not a patch on the HPD engine purely because there has consistently not been enough development cash spent throughout its life.

A lola-judd called an aston would be slower than customer ARX03's which would almost be as embarrassing as the AmR-ONE. The lola chassis is decent but again it has historically been shown to be slower than the Wirth developed equivalent.....
Old 20 Sep 2011, 20:53 (Ref:2958754)   #3556
Dead-Eye
Veteran

Estonia
Dead-Eye should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridDead-Eye should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by MulsanneMike View Post
The ARX-03a's tub is a newly tooled and redesigned monocoque. Thus new built. Wirth says of the new ARX-03a's tub, "It's very different."
Although - apparently, according to DSC - similar enough that it can replace 01 tubs...
Old 20 Sep 2011, 21:02 (Ref:2958759)   #3557
MulsanneMike
Veteran

United States
MulsanneMike has a real shot at the podium!MulsanneMike has a real shot at the podium!MulsanneMike has a real shot at the podium!MulsanneMike has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dead-Eye View Post
Although - apparently, according to DSC - similar enough that it can replace 01 tubs...
Well yes, as it has to effectively slot into the same space. The -03a isn't particularly different from the -01e. It's a similar case to when 962 teams started creating their own aluminum honeycomb core monocoques (and carbon ones as well) or when Nissan threw out the Lola tub and designed their own: Ultimately the tubs had to interface with existing bodywork. Of course there will be those who argue it is the same, but significant optimizations can be made internally without significantly altering the exterior shape. I suspect that's what we'll see from the -03a. Thus Wirth's "very different" will still ring true even if, to us, it looks the same.
Old 21 Sep 2011, 15:11 (Ref:2959115)   #3558
Tim the Grey
Veteran

Wales
Across the M40 from Gaydon...
Tim the Grey has a real shot at the championship!Tim the Grey has a real shot at the championship!Tim the Grey has a real shot at the championship!Tim the Grey has a real shot at the championship!Tim the Grey has a real shot at the championship!
I wonder if you would have to buy the tubs off Oreca, as you do with 01s???

It's odd, isn't it. AMR, and Wirth. You could, honestly, throw a stone from one to the other, in Banbury*. So why don't AMR just throw some $ Nick's way, and use him as a consultant?

* OK you may want to use a catapult... But it's a lot less than a mile, door to door.
Old 21 Sep 2011, 15:57 (Ref:2959140)   #3559
The Badger
Veteran

The Badger has a real shot at the podium!The Badger has a real shot at the podium!The Badger has a real shot at the podium!The Badger has a real shot at the podium!
Who did the layup for the AMR-One ?
Old 21 Sep 2011, 15:57 (Ref:2959139)   #3560
The Badger
Veteran

The Badger has a real shot at the podium!The Badger has a real shot at the podium!The Badger has a real shot at the podium!The Badger has a real shot at the podium!
Old 21 Sep 2011, 16:08 (Ref:2959144)   #3561
Marcel ten Caat
Veteran

Netherlands
The Netherlands
Marcel ten Caat should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridMarcel ten Caat should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
The new 03 tubs will be produced in-house. They are 100% not Oreca tubs.
Old 22 Sep 2011, 13:15 (Ref:2959549)   #3562
Tom908V12
Veteran

France
Paris(France)
Tom908V12 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I thought Christian Klien should drive the AMR Lola in PLM
Old 22 Sep 2011, 17:03 (Ref:2959615)   #3563
Tim the Grey
Veteran

Wales
Tim the Grey has a real shot at the championship!Tim the Grey has a real shot at the championship!Tim the Grey has a real shot at the championship!Tim the Grey has a real shot at the championship!Tim the Grey has a real shot at the championship!
In House at Wirth? I didn't think they had a carbon facility in there. It's the old Ascari factory?
Old 22 Sep 2011, 17:30 (Ref:2959627)   #3564
The Badger
Veteran

If you bought a house , you would refit it from the previous owners , no ?

I would be surprised if Wirth didnt have that capicity , considring what they do .
Old 28 Sep 2011, 12:09 (Ref:2962142)   #3565
AstonGeoff
Veteran

England
Witney
AstonGeoff should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Badger View Post
Prodrive have their own carbon facility in Milton Keynes, don't know if it has the capability to do a whole tub though.
Old 29 Sep 2011, 12:28 (Ref:2962517)   #3566
MulsanneMike
Veteran

United States
Quote:
Originally Posted by AstonGeoff View Post
Prodrive have their own carbon facility in Milton Keynes, don't know if it has the capability to do a whole tub though.
Seeing their facility (website), you'd most certainly think they could do the entire thing in-house, design to manufacture.
Old 30 Sep 2011, 10:37 (Ref:2962884)   #3567
Tim the Grey
Veteran

Wales
I thought the MK carbon facility was more bits and pieces sized, not big enough for a whole tub? Wings and bonnets for DBR-9 rather than full tubs for LMP.

Or is THAT the real reason they designed a barchetta?!?! *SHOCK, HORROR, EXPOSEE*
They could JUST fit that, but not a coupe...
Old 30 Sep 2011, 13:36 (Ref:2962948)   #3568
Mal
Veteran

England
London
Mal is going for a new world record!Mal is going for a new world record!Mal is going for a new world record!Mal is going for a new world record!Mal is going for a new world record!Mal is going for a new world record!Mal is going for a new world record!
So it seems that Delta Wing has 2 AMR one tubs. So that is the likely end of the AMR one as we know it?
Old 2 Oct 2011, 08:16 (Ref:2964234)   #3569
Tom908V12
Veteran

France
Paris(France)
Tom908V12 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Congrats to AMR for their overall/LMP1 podium at PLM
Mücke, Fernandez and Primat did a goodjob in the Lola Aston
Old 2 Oct 2011, 15:33 (Ref:2964353)   #3570
JAG
Veteran

England
JAG should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridJAG should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridJAG should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
This team needs to be in P1 but it's difficult to see how they could get a suitable 2012 spec car.

It's one thing badging a chassis but Aston needs to be using their own engine.
Old 3 Oct 2011, 04:14 (Ref:2964594)   #3571
AGD
Veteran

AGD should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridAGD should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by JAG View Post
This team needs to be in P1 but it's difficult to see how they could get a suitable 2012 spec car.
I think they need to take advantage of the ALMS P1 grandfathering as long as they can. Ok, it might be a challenge to beat Muscle Milk for the championship next year if they get their hands on an HPD, but they can still make it a close competition I think. AMR has done well in the ALMS with their Lola in the few times they have brought it over. I think they would be foolish not to consider the ALMS option next year especially with Adrian's situation.

Perhaps the ALMS will continue grandfathering through 2013 and then they can refocus their LMP1 efforts on the 2014 regulations if they still want to go down the prototype route. I guess we'll have to see about that. The only question I guess is if they can get their hands on one or two existing AMR Lolas or if they would have to buy another one. Supposedly the Cytosport one is already bookmarked for a collector and the one AMR has been using is already a collector owned car, right?
Old 3 Oct 2011, 07:21 (Ref:2964637)   #3572
KA
Veteran

KA has a real shot at the podium!KA has a real shot at the podium!KA has a real shot at the podium!KA has a real shot at the podium!KA has a real shot at the podium!
Trouble is, AMR's race efforts right from the first appearance of the DBR9 have had a strong focus on Le Mans- and the Lola isn't going to get them there next year, unless they find a way of making the straight-6 turbo work over the winter and put that in the back- Plus, as you say, there's the issue of who owns the chassis....

I guess they could run an ALMS race programme with Fernandez and the Lola, while either running a GTE Vantage programme in the ILMC, or working on a radically reworked and developed AMR-One (probably re-named as AMR-Two) for Le Mans- but have they got the money to run an ALMS programme and something that will get them a Le Mans start?

If they are going to do ALMS while they resolve the future direction of AMR's race campaigns, then to be honest running the Vantage there might make more sense- at least it'll get them to Le Mans...
Old 3 Oct 2011, 07:53 (Ref:2964658)   #3573
AGD
Veteran

AGD should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridAGD should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by KA View Post
Trouble is, AMR's race efforts right from the first appearance of the DBR9 have had a strong focus on Le Mans- and the Lola isn't going to get them there next year, unless they find a way of making the straight-6 turbo work over the winter and put that in the back- Plus, as you say, there's the issue of who owns the chassis....

I guess they could run an ALMS race programme with Fernandez and the Lola, while either running a GTE Vantage programme in the ILMC, or working on a radically reworked and developed AMR-One (probably re-named as AMR-Two) for Le Mans- but have they got the money to run an ALMS programme and something that will get them a Le Mans start?

If they are going to do ALMS while they resolve the future direction of AMR's race campaigns, then to be honest running the Vantage there might make more sense- at least it'll get them to Le Mans...
You're right about the grandfathered car not be eligible for Le Mans and I know Le Mans is important to AMR, but do they have a realistic shot at winning Le Mans in either LMP1 or GTE-Pro right now? I'm not seeing it. The Vantage is quite bad really even with quite favorable regulations. Maybe with a lot of work this off-season they can get the car better and have a small window of opportunity where the car is good and the regs are still favorable, but I don't know.

Maybe GTE-Am is something where they can win, but I'm sure they have higher aspirations. That said, I have not heard any rumors one way or another about Vantage GTE/ALMS GT customer teams for 2012. Are Jota, Gulf Middle East, and Young Driver expected to run the GTE Vantage next year? Any new runners?

Maybe AMR should consider converting the AMR-One chassis into a cost-capped LMP2 chassis. The Vantage engine would need some work to compete with the existing LMP2 runners, but maybe there is some potential there. I don't know about that either.

Anyway, I think the old grandfathered car gives them the best chance to win something and ALMS LMP1 isn't some minor championship. The ALMS is still a very visible championship in the sports car world. Taking a couple of years off from Le Mans (at least in LMP1) may not be the worst idea rather than try to do something embarrassing like this past year. They definitely have a lot of options including running some other customer parts so we will have to see what happens.
Old 3 Oct 2011, 08:28 (Ref:2964685)   #3574
rich07
Veteran

Australia
Victoria
rich07 has a real shot at the podium!rich07 has a real shot at the podium!rich07 has a real shot at the podium!rich07 has a real shot at the podium!rich07 has a real shot at the podium!
Anything on Young Driver for next year as yet? Havent heard of them returning to GT1 next year, doesnt mean they wont but havent heard anything thats all.
They could possibly move to the Vantage fulltime and race in GT2 in a factory effort...oh wait-they are a factory effort!

Last edited by rich07; 3 Oct 2011 at 08:34.
Old 3 Oct 2011, 08:30 (Ref:2964686)   #3575
rich07
Veteran

Australia
Victoria
rich07 has a real shot at the podium!rich07 has a real shot at the podium!rich07 has a real shot at the podium!rich07 has a real shot at the podium!rich07 has a real shot at the podium!
Double post