Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Sportscar & GT Racing > ACO Regulated Series

Old 18 Oct 2013, 16:06 (Ref:3319498)   #3701
Pandemonium
Racer

Pandemonium has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
F1 is the best and it is very hard to argue against that.
Old 18 Oct 2013, 16:07 (Ref:3319499)   #3702
Gingers4Justice
Veteran

United Kingdom
Highbury, London
Gingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pandemonium View Post
Okay, but what has that got to do with this thread?
Old 18 Oct 2013, 16:36 (Ref:3319505)   #3703
vincegail
Veteran

Netherlands
Antwerp, Belgium
vincegail has a real shot at the podium!vincegail has a real shot at the podium!vincegail has a real shot at the podium!vincegail has a real shot at the podium!vincegail has a real shot at the podium!
I think he means that F1 is the one racing series to rule them all, so it is nothing less than normal that the WEC calendar gets changed when it so pleases the Formula 1 overlords. And because of the WEC changes, stating (although completely wrong of course) that F1 is the best, deserves a place in this thread.
Old 18 Oct 2013, 16:48 (Ref:3319510)   #3704
Gingers4Justice
Veteran

United Kingdom
Highbury, London
Gingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
The cynic in me thought it was attempting to provoke a bite, but okay, I get that point.

F1 is certainly the dominant force though, and I think we all understand why it's happened.
Old 18 Oct 2013, 16:52 (Ref:3319512)   #3705
deggis
Veteran

Finland
deggis is going for a new world record!deggis is going for a new world record!deggis is going for a new world record!deggis is going for a new world record!deggis is going for a new world record!deggis is going for a new world record!deggis is going for a new world record!
Some posts make it sound like as if WEC was a such huge threat to F1 and that this change benefits F1 more than it benefits WEC. Original Fuji date clashed not just with any F1 GP, but a GP just some hours away from Fuji (indeed, Suzuka). Where do you think an average spectator or an average journo would have gone that weekend?

Last edited by deggis; 18 Oct 2013 at 17:06.
Old 18 Oct 2013, 17:27 (Ref:3319517)   #3706
Pontlieue
Racer

Pontlieue should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridPontlieue should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pandemonium View Post
Commercially the most successful, and the most popular. I agree with that. But the best? No, I don't think so. I think the WEC offers the better motorsport. Formula 1 today is all about DRS and artificially degrading tyres. I don't enjoy F1 as much as I used to.

Also, on the technical side, the WEC is much more interesting. Formula 1 engines all have to be 1.6L V6-Turbos. In WEC we'll have turbo-diesels, turbocharged petrol engines and normally aspirated petrol engines competing against each other, as well as different hybrid systems in the LMP1-H.

I don't think that there is any series currently threatening the status of Formula 1, but calling Formula 1 "the best" is very subjective. You should specify what you mean with the best. The commercially most successful? The fastest cars? The most interesting racing? The most interesting technology?

Back on the topic of the calendar: Having a WEC race and a Formula 1 race on the same weekend isn't a problem I think, as long as the times of the races don't clash. But I think they should avoid putting a WEC race and a Formula 1 race in the same country on the same weekend. And then the WEC has to move to a different date, because there are many motorsports fans who care more about Formula 1, and WEC would risk ending up with empty tribunes.

Last edited by Pontlieue; 18 Oct 2013 at 17:34.
Old 18 Oct 2013, 18:52 (Ref:3319546)   #3707
vincegail
Veteran

Netherlands
Antwerp, Belgium
vincegail has a real shot at the podium!vincegail has a real shot at the podium!vincegail has a real shot at the podium!vincegail has a real shot at the podium!vincegail has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gingers4Justice View Post
The cynic in me thought it was attempting to provoke a bite, but okay, I get that point.
The cynic in you was probably right though
Old 18 Oct 2013, 21:00 (Ref:3319588)   #3708
hcl123
Veteran

hcl123 is heading for a stewards' enquiry!
Quote:
Originally Posted by vincegail View Post
I think he means that F1 is the one racing series to rule them all, so it is nothing less than normal that the WEC calendar gets changed when it so pleases the Formula 1 overlords. And because of the WEC changes, stating (although completely wrong of course) that F1 is the best, deserves a place in this thread.
Yes interesting arguments, only F1 we can't call it a a "car" race... only by folklore approach of easy language, because in reality F1 is at best is a moto4 race, small very light all open vehicle with a very powerful engine.

The problem of WEC is the temptation of following some similarities... when they should be completely different, even *prototypes* should be required to carry 2 ppl, matter of fact they should enter the race tracks with 2 ppl *sitting* on board the cockpit ( only afterwards changed to single seat)... or not allowed to race.
Old 18 Oct 2013, 21:12 (Ref:3319593)   #3709
TF110
Veteran

United States
TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!
Since were on the F1 subject, Radio LM speculated that Kobayashi might not be in the wec next year but in Sergio Perez's seat. Wonder how Ferrari feels about that.
Old 18 Oct 2013, 21:48 (Ref:3319612)   #3710
deggis
Veteran

Finland
deggis is going for a new world record!deggis is going for a new world record!deggis is going for a new world record!deggis is going for a new world record!deggis is going for a new world record!deggis is going for a new world record!deggis is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by hcl123 View Post
The problem of WEC is the temptation of following some similarities... when they should be completely different, even *prototypes* should be required to carry 2 ppl, matter of fact they should enter the race tracks with 2 ppl *sitting* on board the cockpit ( only afterwards changed to single seat)... or not allowed to race.
Not this argument again http://i.imgur.com/ZkngKG4.jpg
Old 18 Oct 2013, 22:09 (Ref:3319624)   #3711
CTD
Veteran

Denmark
Aarhus, Jylland, Denmark
CTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by TF110 View Post
Since were on the F1 subject, Radio LM speculated that Kobayashi might not be in the wec next year but in Sergio Perez's seat. Wonder how Ferrari feels about that.
Lets not start something OT here.
But the McLaren seat is any bodies guys! A fact however is thai McLaren is trying to get Kevin Magnussen a seat in F1 next year, so he perhaps can replace Perez in 2015.
Kobayashi will lilely never return to F1...

Lets get back to the main topic
Old 18 Oct 2013, 23:15 (Ref:3319644)   #3712
TF110
Veteran

United States
TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by CTD View Post
Lets not start something OT here.
But the McLaren seat is any bodies guys! A fact however is thai McLaren is trying to get Kevin Magnussen a seat in F1 next year, so he perhaps can replace Perez in 2015.
Kobayashi will lilely never return to F1...

Lets get back to the main topic
Kobayashi is in the wec, as is Ferrari. Its not off topic. Hes one of my favorite drivers and has done very well in the wec and f1. You bringing up Magnussen though is a bit OT imo j.k
Old 20 Oct 2013, 10:43 (Ref:3320491)   #3713
ArnageWRC
Racer

UK-ROI
Nord Ouest Ingleterre
ArnageWRC should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
If it can be avoided, then a clash between F1 and the WEC shouldn't happen.
The Promoters/ organisers should be encouraging mainstream media, even the F1 writers to the WEC races, to show them the superior product. You can't do that when they clash.

There was a article this week in the Daily Telegraph about Kubica entering RallyGB in a works Citroen; good news for the organisers that a big 'name' had entered - due to the clash with the US F1 GP, the focus of the Motorsport world would be there. As written by their Motorsport writer.....

All none F1 series have to be clever in attracting a new audience.... They have to grow beyond 'niche'... Just look at the dearth of sponsors in some of these series.
Old 20 Oct 2013, 16:44 (Ref:3320588)   #3714
vincegail
Veteran

Netherlands
Antwerp, Belgium
Quote:
the FIA at it again! Calendar changed again! Le Mans stays the same date, but Spa-Francorchamps has been moved forward one week, and is now on the Sunday instead of Saturday. Fuji also changed. http://www.endurance-info.com/en/201...endar-updated/
Now I am a little bit confused. In this link the Spa dates are friday 2nd and saturday 3rd. Which makes more sense of course, as Spa normally takes place on the saturday.
http://www.fiawec.com/en/news/revisi...nced_1451.html
Old 20 Oct 2013, 18:59 (Ref:3320651)   #3715
isynge
Veteran

United Kingdom
London, UK
isynge is going for a new world record!isynge is going for a new world record!isynge is going for a new world record!isynge is going for a new world record!isynge is going for a new world record!isynge is going for a new world record!isynge is going for a new world record!isynge is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Now I am a little bit confused. In this link the Spa dates are friday 2nd and saturday 3rd. Which makes more sense of course, as Spa normally takes place on the saturday.
http://www.fiawec.com/en/news/revisi...nced_1451.html
Spa seems to be back to being a Saturday race. DSC has a story about how the initial change to a Sunday was a "mistake" which has now been corrected.

Saturday a much more sensible day for the Spa race, on so many levels.
Old 20 Oct 2013, 19:27 (Ref:3320665)   #3716
vincegail
Veteran

Netherlands
Antwerp, Belgium
Did you have any luck with changing your hotel dates?
Old 20 Oct 2013, 19:28 (Ref:3320666)   #3717
hcl123
Veteran

hcl123 is heading for a stewards' enquiry!
Quote:
Originally Posted by deggis View Post
Not this argument again http://i.imgur.com/ZkngKG4.jpg
No you don't have to race with 2 ppl onboard ( I think long ago it was mandatory) , its not wise from a safety perspective ( a distraction, and double the life liability).

OTOH is better than that argument, the cockpit dimensions should be regulated so that 2 medium size adults seat with some comfort.

And i wonder if it would not be wise to mandate also, that prototypes would be street legal supercars ( there are already plenty of legal supercars more powerful than this prototypes)... perhaps a FIA license plate, try to arrange homogenization among homologation legislation...

Then it will be **car** racing... which F1 definitely is not.
Old 20 Oct 2013, 20:32 (Ref:3320687)   #3718
isynge
Veteran

United Kingdom
London, UK
isynge is going for a new world record!isynge is going for a new world record!isynge is going for a new world record!isynge is going for a new world record!isynge is going for a new world record!isynge is going for a new world record!isynge is going for a new world record!isynge is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Did you have any luck with changing your hotel dates?
Yes - all sorted cheers. Benefits of being nice to the owner! Otherwise choice would have been chucking away a pretty substantial deposit or figuring a long weekend in the Ardennes not involving sportscars was a good holiday choice.
Old 21 Oct 2013, 08:20 (Ref:3320878)   #3719
ger80
Veteran

Germany
Birmingham
ger80 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Spa is actually a good weekend now, bank holiday on Thursday in Germany and most people will take Friday off anyway. Bank holiday Monday after the event in the UK, so plenty of time to get back and recover
Old 21 Oct 2013, 08:51 (Ref:3320889)   #3720
Samoan Attorney
Veteran

Samoan Attorney should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSamoan Attorney should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSamoan Attorney should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by isynge View Post
Spa seems to be back to being a Saturday race. DSC has a story about how the initial change to a Sunday was a "mistake" which has now been corrected.

Saturday a much more sensible day for the Spa race, on so many levels.
Not least of the benefits is that Thursday 1st May is a public holiday in Belgium, meaning that the Brussels Ring road is pretty clear, as is driving back on Sunday not Monday.
Old 21 Oct 2013, 08:54 (Ref:3320891)   #3721
isynge
Veteran

United Kingdom
London, UK
Quote:
Originally Posted by Samoan Attorney View Post
Not least of the benefits is that Thursday 1st May is a public holiday in Belgium, meaning that the Brussels Ring road is pretty clear, as is driving back on Sunday not Monday.
Brussels ring can be hellish in the extreme. I've at times headed south towards Valenciennes and then headed due east past Mons and Charleroi to Liege and Spa, just to avoid that particular mess, although I recall last year the level of chaos due to roadworks on Sunday was staggering.
Old 21 Oct 2013, 09:40 (Ref:3320917)   #3722
GT6
Veteran

England
MAIDSTONE, KENT, ENGLAND
GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!
As I recall the brussels ring as a bit like the m25 on friday evening, best avoided
Old 21 Oct 2013, 11:02 (Ref:3320946)   #3723
vincegail
Veteran

Netherlands
Antwerp, Belgium
One of the downsides of 1 May being a holiday, is that everything is booked out! I am trying to get a reservation for a holiday home from thursday the 1st of May till sunday the 4th, and it's proofing to be rather difficult!

As I don't trust the Ardennes weather in the beginning of May too much, I'd rather stay in a house, but I might have to camp after all!
Old 21 Oct 2013, 12:07 (Ref:3320978)   #3724
Gingers4Justice
Veteran

United Kingdom
Highbury, London
Quote:
Originally Posted by GT6 View Post
As I recall the brussels ring as a bit like the m25 on friday evening, best avoided
....it's within Radio 4 range though, if you do get stuck.
Old 23 Oct 2013, 14:20 (Ref:3322134)   #3725
kurski
Veteran

Finland
kurski should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridkurski should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid

Last edited by kurski; 23 Oct 2013 at 14:27.