Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Sportscar & GT Racing > ACO Regulated Series

Old 11 Nov 2021, 12:52 (Ref:4082769)   #351
Steve McQ
Racer

France
Steve McQ should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSteve McQ should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSteve McQ should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by crmalcolm View Post
In the previous version of the regulations, the choice seemed to be optional:

Absolutely, that was also my understanding of the rules when they were first published : LMH carmakers could chose whatever tire dimensions they wanted provided that a combination of both F/R dimensions were not above a determined number. It has clearly disappeared today.

We can think that Peugeot has worked around the widest possible rear tires to generate as much mechanical grip as possible and compensate the absence of a rear wing. If they are to use more "standard" tires, maybe we can start to expect a more conventional car after all.
Old 11 Nov 2021, 13:01 (Ref:4082770)   #352
S griffin
Veteran

S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!
The rules are clear to me. Or rather they were. There was no reason to change the rules on tyre dimensions. Was it really that much of a problem or even a problem at all?

I just hope Peugeot manage to build a car that can be competitive from the off, but the rules could hamper them. I sure hope not, but either way I look forward to having them back
Old 11 Nov 2021, 13:14 (Ref:4082774)   #353
crmalcolm
Veteran

Nepal
Exactly where I need to be.
crmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by S griffin View Post
There was no reason to change the rules on tyre dimensions. Was it really that much of a problem or even a problem at all?
If the rules have changed from being optional to mandatory, it is probably part of the ACO and IMSA convergence plan.
Old 11 Nov 2021, 13:33 (Ref:4082780)   #354
Pandamasque
Veteran

Ukraine
Kyiv, Ukraine
Pandamasque has a real shot at the podium!Pandamasque has a real shot at the podium!Pandamasque has a real shot at the podium!Pandamasque has a real shot at the podium!Pandamasque has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
It's just hypothetical thinking out loud, based on the L'Equipe story that regulations changed.

Remember - the consensus is generally to design your build around a rear wing. Could Peugeot have also gone 'radical' on wheel choice?

Any aero gurus here? I'm assuming the 9X8's wingless design will generate more downforce towards the centre of the car. If so, choosing to offset the contact patch area towards the back (fatter rears, slimmer fronts) in an AWD car which theoretically has less aero offset towards the back than conventional AWD cars for which the tires are developed, seems counterintuitive. Unless the 9X8 is supposed to be rear-heavy. Sort of like Nismo LMP1 backwards.
Old 11 Nov 2021, 17:38 (Ref:4082819)   #355
deggis
Veteran

Finland
deggis is going for a new world record!deggis is going for a new world record!deggis is going for a new world record!deggis is going for a new world record!deggis is going for a new world record!deggis is going for a new world record!deggis is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Interesting. It appears that the regulations were amended in April this year.
The version of regulations I linked is dated 16 Dec 20. The full link is https://www.fia.com/sites/default/fi...2020.12.16.pdf

In the previous version of the regulations, the choice seemed to be optional:
Looks like this accidentally solved the mystery then... I just assumed you linked to the latest one, I have the versions on my computer and then only checked the latest version.

Now the question becomes: why would Peugeot find out about this only now or recently, when even the final public rulebook is dated April.

Perhaps L'Equipe noticed this change in the rules and just made a story out of nothing and in reality Peugeot has known this for a long time and it is actually not a problem.

Last edited by deggis; 11 Nov 2021 at 17:46.
Old 11 Nov 2021, 18:07 (Ref:4082831)   #356
deggis
Veteran

Finland
deggis is going for a new world record!deggis is going for a new world record!deggis is going for a new world record!deggis is going for a new world record!deggis is going for a new world record!deggis is going for a new world record!deggis is going for a new world record!
The story is on the web but paywalled. Anyone got an access?

https://www.lequipe.fr/Sport-auto/Ar...n-2022/1297898
Old 16 Nov 2021, 07:53 (Ref:4083712)   #357
peetleouf
Rookie

France
Drôme
peetleouf should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
https://imgur.com/JWIXIao
Old 16 Nov 2021, 08:20 (Ref:4083716)   #358
deggis
Veteran

Finland
Quote:
Originally Posted by peetleouf View Post
Besides the tyres, there's another change mentioned: the hybrid usage minimum speed could be raised to 160km/h and it reads like these two changes are related.

Doesn't make it clear what the new tyre dimensions are supposed to be and it sounds like the change is not the one in the April 2021 rulebook because it says here "larger rear wheels" (assuming translation is correct). The current RWD size (previously Option 2) is the one with the larger rear wheels.

So how I understand this: Peugeot picked 31/31 as the rules say, but partially due to this 120 -> 160 km/h change also the tyres sizes are unified to 29/34?

Translation:

Last edited by deggis; 16 Nov 2021 at 08:43.
Old 16 Nov 2021, 08:43 (Ref:4083722)   #359
crmalcolm
Veteran

Nepal
crmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
So if that article is correct - there is a change in the dimensions of the rear rims?
Old 16 Nov 2021, 14:17 (Ref:4083778)   #360
Pandamasque
Veteran

Ukraine
Kyiv, Ukraine
Pandamasque has a real shot at the podium!Pandamasque has a real shot at the podium!Pandamasque has a real shot at the podium!Pandamasque has a real shot at the podium!Pandamasque has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by deggis View Post
Besides the tyres, there's another change mentioned: the hybrid usage minimum speed could be raised to 160km/h and it reads like these two changes are related.
Wait. Forget the rims. This is huge. Is this officially confirmed?
Old 2 Dec 2021, 01:24 (Ref:4086218)   #361
deggis
Veteran

Finland
First test planned for Dec 18-21 at Aragon.

https://soymotor.com/coches/noticias...ciembre-992508

Quote:
The Peugeot 9X8 LMH, the hypercar with which the brand wants to return to Le Mans and endurance, will make its first tests at Motorland Aragon, at the end of December, if there are no delays in the planning.

The dates selected are just before Christmas, from December 18 to 21, as revealed by Auto Hebdo magazine in an interview with Olivier Jansonnie, the project's technical director.
Jansonnie points out that the project "is going according to plan and we maintain the objective of shooting at the end of Dece mber, although we are keeping the option of a certain flexibility".

Jansonnie explained that the model that will run is very close to the one presented when the project was announced, although there are some evolutions and believes that the aerodynamic choice may surprise "but all the teams knew the rules and there are several options to achieve the result set by the regulations".

"We have selected this route for technical reasons after studying the regulations. We don't think it will give us a huge advantage, but we are sure it won't be any disadvantage either," he added.

If there is a date for this first test at Motorland - surely he will have done a shakedown near the factory beforehand to check that everything works - there is no date for the competition debut. Peugeot wants to race in 2022, "but not before we are reliable and our performance is good. To race you have to homologate the car" and keep it that way for five years, so Peugeot can't afford any haste.

Translated with www.DeepL.com/Translator (free version)
Old 2 Dec 2021, 01:25 (Ref:4086219)   #362
deggis
Veteran

Finland
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pandamasque View Post
Wait. Forget the rims. This is huge. Is this officially confirmed?
I haven't seen it mentioned it anywhere else.
Old 2 Dec 2021, 13:49 (Ref:4086270)   #363
joeb
Race Official
Veteran

United States
Baton Rouge, LA
joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by deggis View Post
I haven't seen it mentioned it anywhere else.
I thought I read somewhere that this may be an equalization thing with the non hybrid cars.
Old 2 Dec 2021, 14:46 (Ref:4086280)   #364
Pandamasque
Veteran

Ukraine
Kyiv, Ukraine
Quote:
Originally Posted by joeb View Post
I thought I read somewhere that this may be an equalization thing with the non hybrid cars.
You may have read it here in the Glickenhaus discussion when I suggested it as a solution that manufacturers may actually accept, as opposed to banning AWD
in the wet, but I was merely theorising.
Old 2 Dec 2021, 17:19 (Ref:4086321)   #365
joeb
Race Official
Veteran

United States
Baton Rouge, LA
joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
You may have read it here in the Glickenhaus discussion when I suggested it as a solution that manufacturers may actually accept, as opposed to banning AWD
in the wet, but I was merely theorising.
I read it on the internet so it must be true!
Old 11 Dec 2021, 18:24 (Ref:4088345)   #366
hondafan37
Veteran

Argentina
Buenos Aires, Argentine
hondafan37 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridhondafan37 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Peugeot 9X8 Shakes Down

https://www.dailysportscar.com/2021/...rIRVGtR1tSgpLk

Old 11 Dec 2021, 21:55 (Ref:4088367)   #367
deggis
Veteran

Finland
If that ends up in the final car the whole "look, no rear wing!" thing is a bit awkward in retrospect.
Old 12 Dec 2021, 01:36 (Ref:4088396)   #368
broadrun96
Veteran

United States
broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Yeah, no rear wing felt like PR spin to get buzz rather than true render of proposed car design from the tech guys
Old 12 Dec 2021, 09:03 (Ref:4088426)   #369
canaglia
Veteran

canaglia should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridcanaglia should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
according to their early summer statements, peugeot said that 9x8 never had a real life test and aero was developed only using simulators, they also said that they were open to make changes if real life data won't be matching simulators one. Maybe they used ferrari f1 simulator...
Rear wing or not, I think peugeot should focus more on total/saft made batteries since it's something that was still in development when 9x8 was revealed.
Old 12 Dec 2021, 15:07 (Ref:4088673)   #370
Pandamasque
Veteran

Ukraine
Kyiv, Ukraine
Who's to say if there IS a wing under that fig leaf? They could be just trolling us, knowing full well the anoraks will be inspecting "spy shots" with a magnifying glass looking for some semblance of vestigial wing.

Instead of the logo, they should have put a sign that reads "Ceci n'est pas une aileron", but I guess Magritte is not Peugeot's cup of tea.
Old 12 Dec 2021, 16:22 (Ref:4088766)   #371
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Good point. Could just be two little side wings?
Old 12 Dec 2021, 16:31 (Ref:4088772)   #372
crmalcolm
Veteran

Nepal
Quote:
Who's to say if there IS a wing under that fig leaf? They could be just trolling us, knowing full well the anoraks will be inspecting "spy shots" with a magnifying glass looking for some semblance of vestigial wing.

Instead of the logo, they should have put a sign that reads "Ceci n'est pas une aileron", but I guess Magritte is not Peugeot's cup of tea.
There is talk that they are mini winglets, only planned for certain tracks.
Old 12 Dec 2021, 17:07 (Ref:4088800)   #373
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
Lymington, New Forest, England
Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
There is talk that they are mini winglets, only planned for certain tracks.
Look to me more than winglets - depends what they've obscured....
Old 12 Dec 2021, 20:19 (Ref:4088986)   #374
kdr
Veteran

kdr should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridkdr should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I'm not fussed if they end up with a wing, just want competition. Looks good tbf, actually enhances it to my eyes, that low slung wing reminds me of the 1999 BMW LMR.
Old 12 Dec 2021, 20:40 (Ref:4089006)   #375
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
My preference is that at Le Mans they run one car with and one without! Like all those different Matra back in the day.

Homologation blah blah.