Coventry UK
BeeJ should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Wrong thread :-(
Old 29 Jul 2008, 10:26 (Ref:2259474)   #352
Sodemo
Veteran

United Kingdom
Solihull, West Mids, UK
Sodemo has a real shot at the championship!Sodemo has a real shot at the championship!Sodemo has a real shot at the championship!Sodemo has a real shot at the championship!Sodemo has a real shot at the championship!
Well, there is already tarmac run off at Coppice, its been there for at least a year or so.
Old 29 Jul 2008, 10:30 (Ref:2259479)   #353
JimW
Veteran

United Kingdom
Worcestershire, UK
JimW should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridJimW should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridJimW should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridJimW should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Where? The "gravel" at Coppice Lodge is black 'Lytag' pebbles - are you thinking of that?

Jim
Old 29 Jul 2008, 10:31 (Ref:2259481)   #354
BeeJ
Racer

England
Coventry UK
BeeJ should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sodemo
Well, there is already tarmac run off at Coppice, its been there for at least a year or so.
Sorry to disagree. Coppice is gravel but unlike the rest of the circuit it uses what looks like volcanic rock that comes from the nearby power station hence why it looks dark grey. I have trudged though it a few times

Dam Jim you beat me to it.
Old 29 Jul 2008, 14:27 (Ref:2259652)   #355
Sodemo
Veteran

United Kingdom
Solihull, West Mids, UK
Sodemo has a real shot at the championship!Sodemo has a real shot at the championship!Sodemo has a real shot at the championship!Sodemo has a real shot at the championship!Sodemo has a real shot at the championship!
Huh?!?!

Really?

I am 100% sure there was tarmac there for a recent meeting...

Oh well, if i'm wrong then that can only be a good thing, tarmac sucks.
Old 29 Jul 2008, 16:52 (Ref:2259718)   #356
stroller
Racer

stroller should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by BeeJ
Was at Donington at the weekend and a lot of areas are now fenced off. The place is starting to look a lot tidier as well. Rumour has it that work will start this week on some areas that they do not need planning permission for.
Could be that some of the areas were fenced off for safety - as is the norm for Truck meetings anyway.

I heard that the "real" work is due to start first week in November. I know the owners said they were planning to run as normal through 2009 whilst construction takes place, but I feel sure there will have to be some interference with the general infrastructure of the Circuit while this happens
As an aside - if they are planning a November date - does this affect any meetings planned from the end of October onwards? -i.e the Britcar night race planned for first weekend in November.
Old 29 Jul 2008, 18:49 (Ref:2259791)   #357
Marbot
Retired
20KPINAL

United Kingdom
Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sodemo

tarmac sucks.
Indeed.

So I propose tarmac run-off areas and maybe the power station crap can be used for the track surface.

Up to press there has been no mention of how they are going to sort out the already diabolical traffic situation.Has anyone heard anything?
Old 29 Jul 2008, 19:22 (Ref:2259821)   #358
Alex Hodgkinson
Veteran

England
Derby
Alex Hodgkinson should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Yes.. the plans are to make the helicopter park bigger

The November 1st Britcar race is the final event of the year, so that matches up with what I've learnt.
Old 5 Aug 2008, 06:58 (Ref:2263559)   #359
Gerben24
Veteran

Netherlands
Heerenveen
Gerben24 has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Is THIS going to be the new layout?
Old 5 Aug 2008, 07:30 (Ref:2263573)   #360
Rob29
Veteran

United Kingdom
Lincolnshire,UK
Rob29 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridRob29 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by stroller
Could be that some of the areas were fenced off for safety - as is the norm for Truck meetings anyway.

I think that must have been the case.I last went to Donington,November 2001 to support the 2CVs-trucks were the main event so no spectators were allowed on the outside of the circuit-I have refused to go there since
Old 5 Aug 2008, 08:33 (Ref:2263619)   #361
andy97
Veteran

United Kingdom
Castle Donington
andy97 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridandy97 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerben24
Variations of that theme have been published elsewhere.
Old 5 Aug 2008, 08:36 (Ref:2263621)   #362
andy97
Veteran

United Kingdom
Castle Donington
andy97 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridandy97 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marbot
Indeed.

Up to press there has been no mention of how they are going to sort out the already diabolical traffic situation.Has anyone heard anything?
Statements in my local press (I live in Castle Donington) that there is a plan for a number of "park and rides". The new Loughborough Parkway railway station, near the Radcliffe on Soars Power Station, will also be open by the end of this year.
Old 5 Aug 2008, 09:08 (Ref:2263638)   #363
stroller
Racer

Quote:
Originally Posted by andy97
Statements in my local press (I live in Castle Donington) that there is a plan for a number of "park and rides". The new Loughborough Parkway railway station, near the Radcliffe on Soars Power Station, will also be open by the end of this year.
There will have to be an awful lot of "park & rides" tp cope with 80,000 people.
Old 5 Aug 2008, 09:33 (Ref:2263649)   #364
andy97
Veteran

United Kingdom
Castle Donington
Quote:
There will have to be an awful lot of "park & rides" tp cope with 80,000 people.
Yep. And if it was me, I'd be talking to places as far a way as the NEC, Sheffield (Sheffield Wednesday/ Don Valley Stadium/ Arena areas), Bruntingthorpe Airfield, Derby, Stoke etc etc.

Given all the corporate hospitality that goes on at a GP, I just don't think that Donington can allow a single car on the site for a "normal" punter.

Maybe EasyJet & co will run day trips in and out of EMA from airfports all over the country. I am only half joking, If Donington are going to pull this off they need to be this innovative.
Old 5 Aug 2008, 09:58 (Ref:2263666)   #365
stroller
Racer

Quote:
Yep. And if it was me, I'd be talking to places as far a way as the NEC, Sheffield (Sheffield Wednesday/ Don Valley Stadium/ Arena areas), Bruntingthorpe Airfield, Derby, Stoke etc etc.

Given all the corporate hospitality that goes on at a GP, I just don't think that Donington can allow a single car on the site for a "normal" punter.

Maybe EasyJet & co will run day trips in and out of EMA from airfports all over the country. I am only half joking, If Donington are going to pull this off they need to be this innovative.
Assume - say - 60000 use the park & ride. Capacity of a double decker - 70?

= 850+ bus trips
Old 5 Aug 2008, 10:02 (Ref:2263670)   #366
andy97
Veteran

United Kingdom
Castle Donington
Quote:
Assume - say - 60000 use the park & ride. Capacity of a double decker - 70?

= 850+ bus trips
Still better than 30 000 cars (2 per car). What are your alternative suggestions for Donington?
Old 5 Aug 2008, 10:04 (Ref:2263672)   #367
ensign14
Veteran

British Antarctic Territory
Deception Island
ensign14 is going for a new world record!ensign14 is going for a new world record!ensign14 is going for a new world record!ensign14 is going for a new world record!ensign14 is going for a new world record!ensign14 is going for a new world record!
Turn Nottingham into a car park.

It would be an aesthetic improvement.
Old 5 Aug 2008, 10:22 (Ref:2263676)   #368
foreversideways
Veteran

England
Bramhall
foreversideways should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridforeversideways should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Nigel Roebuck gives his considered view on this, in Motorsport this month.
Old 5 Aug 2008, 10:29 (Ref:2263681)   #369
stroller
Racer

Quote:
Still better than 30 000 cars (2 per car). What are your alternative suggestions for Donington?
Unfortunately I don't have one.
If I did, I'd probably be working for the circuit in a consultancy capacity !!

Still can't see it working
Old 5 Aug 2008, 11:55 (Ref:2263727)   #370
ScotsBrutesFan
Race Official
Veteran

Scotland
West Lothian
ScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerben24
I have to say that looks very conjested. But then again it sounds as if that would be inkeeping with the whole site trying accomodate a GP crowd.
Old 6 Aug 2008, 22:50 (Ref:2264832)   #371
White flag man
Veteran

Greenland
West Hampstead, North London
White flag man should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridWhite flag man should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Close the airport for the weekend,
Then you'll have all the room for parking, camping, caravans, helicopters and much more.
Surely Bernie can organise that.
Old 7 Aug 2008, 01:22 (Ref:2264865)   #372
JeremySmith
Veteran

United Kingdom
Austin Texas
JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!
Come on now folks Donington is not going to happen...
Old 7 Aug 2008, 01:57 (Ref:2264872)   #373
White flag man
Veteran

Greenland
White flag man should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridWhite flag man should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Think positive Jeremy, "yes it will, yes it will, yes it will...." It's either Donnington or Mallory Park!
Old 7 Aug 2008, 02:51 (Ref:2264876)   #374
JeremySmith
Veteran

United Kingdom
Austin Texas
JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!
Okay I used to live in West Hampstead...My heart aches, I loved that time in my life..
Old 7 Aug 2008, 05:28 (Ref:2264903)   #375
White flag man
Veteran

Greenland
Quote:
Originally Posted by JeremySmith
Okay I used to live in West Hampstead...My heart aches, I loved that time in my life..
But I bet the weather is a lot more consistent in Texas.