Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Sportscar & GT Racing > North American Racing

Closed Thread

Old 27 Sep 2009, 00:39 (Ref:2548947)   #351
Dario911
Veteran

Italy
Somewhere in the world...
Dario911 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gingers4Justice View Post
I suggested that on the previous page. They do that in Grand-Am and NASCAR.

That's the right way! You can't stop a so important race in this stupid way!
There's a championship out there, and some titles to win!
It should be more intelligent to resume the race the day after, to avoid a real unfair behavior!
Now has won who have had the luck to be in the right place, in the right moment! Risi was never be able to achieve the first place in the race, and they've won just because they were in the first place once, before of the red flag.
Peugeot was behind Audi, but Audi has been penalized by the safety cars... and with the red flag has lost a race it could have won!
The same for Corvette, Porsche and BMW!
Le Mans, 23/06/2013, 15:00, Allan we miss you!
Porsche 1°-2° in GTE-Pro class with 991 GT3 RSR
Porsche 1st. place in GTE-Am class with 997 GT3 RSR
Old 27 Sep 2009, 00:40 (Ref:2548948)   #352
Cuttlefish
Racer

United States
Seattle, WA
Cuttlefish should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by The359 View Post
Sebring '93, Sebring '95, Sebring '97, Daytona '89, Daytona '05, 24h Nurburgring '07, 24h Nurburgring '92, Nurburgring 1000 '86, Silverstone 1000 '75, Zeltweg 1000 '75.

What do they have in common? All races that were red flagged for rain (or fog) without the clock being stopped or races where the race was stopped completely and not restarted due to rain.
Posted a couple pages back.
Old 27 Sep 2009, 00:46 (Ref:2548951)   #353
The359
Veteran

United States
Pennsylvania, USA
The359 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
And to the suggestion that "we keep going because some other cars might be able to drive, like GTs, so tough luck if your prototype can't handle it":

How many cars spinning or crashing off would you like before you stopped it?

Keep going until the race is nothing but GTs, or at least those that didn't also survive?

Would a race finishing with 10 cars or less, and most likely not all on the same lap, be any less of a "disappointment"?
Old 27 Sep 2009, 00:46 (Ref:2548952)   #354
MJ_N_09
Veteran

United States
MJ_N_09 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
So, are trophies given?
Old 27 Sep 2009, 00:52 (Ref:2548953)   #355
Gingers4Justice
Veteran

United Kingdom
Highbury, London
Gingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by MJ_N_09 View Post
So, are trophies given?
I guess so. The champagne probably won't be sprayed as vigorously though!
Old 27 Sep 2009, 00:57 (Ref:2548956)   #356
MJ_N_09
Veteran

United States
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gingers4Justice View Post
I guess so. The champagne probably won't be sprayed as vigorously though!

I'd break the bottles before they get a chance
Old 27 Sep 2009, 01:04 (Ref:2548959)   #357
isynge
Veteran

United Kingdom
London, UK
isynge is going for a new world record!isynge is going for a new world record!isynge is going for a new world record!isynge is going for a new world record!isynge is going for a new world record!isynge is going for a new world record!isynge is going for a new world record!isynge is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by MJ_N_09 View Post
I'd break the bottles before they get a chance
It'll only be really sour if we wake up to triumphal advertising regarding the result. One hopes cooler heads regarding this prevail.
Old 27 Sep 2009, 01:11 (Ref:2548961)   #358
Gingers4Justice
Veteran

United Kingdom
Highbury, London
Gingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by isynge View Post
It'll only be really sour if we wake up to triumphal advertising regarding the result. One hopes cooler heads regarding this prevail.
Peugeot. Cool heads. Peugeot. Coold heads. Does not compute.
Old 27 Sep 2009, 01:12 (Ref:2548962)   #359
aeroehl
Racer

United States
aeroehl should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Someone was saying that the diesels have to go through a 30 min warm up before they can run again. These are of coarse illegal under red flag rules. Does anyone know anything about this?
Old 27 Sep 2009, 01:14 (Ref:2548964)   #360
Gingers4Justice
Veteran

United Kingdom
Highbury, London
Quote:
Originally Posted by aeroehl View Post
Someone was saying that the diesels have to go through a 30 min warm up before they can run again. These are of coarse illegal under red flag rules. Does anyone know anything about this?
I've heard that all prototypes need the 20-30 min warm up.
Old 27 Sep 2009, 01:18 (Ref:2548965)   #361
arakis
Veteran

Serbia
Belgrade,Serbia
arakis has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dario911 View Post
Risi was never be able to achieve the first place in the race, and they've won just because they were in the first place once, before of the red flag.
Do you ever stop whining, like ever, Risi won deal with it, quit being a sour losser.

Risi had the no1 pos with a lap on the field before the race was canceled, and would have probably won since. If you are saying ohhh the safety cars don't count, well that's just plain !#$!$!$,

You have no way of predicting how the race would have ended for another 5 or so houres, and if even a single porsche would have crossed the line, Ferrari fans should be the ones saying its unfar, if the race was restarted, the 45 engine would have probalby blown....... and stuff like that

This is Motorsport, things like this will always happen, you cant except drivers to risk their lives in weather like that, or th orginisers to come up with the cash, and coverage for another day of racing.
To launch a new FIA GT2 category based on strict technical rules, with limited wavers and ‘balance of performance' limited to success ballast. A category where GT manufacturers will prove through competition they can produce the best road going GT car.
Old 27 Sep 2009, 01:20 (Ref:2548966)   #362
The359
Veteran

United States
Pennsylvania, USA
Race winners can be determined by accidents or by yellow flags or by weather.

Wins are still wins, even if you got a lucky break.
Old 27 Sep 2009, 02:03 (Ref:2548972)   #363
Richard C
Veteran

Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!
We just got back to our hotel room. The weekend was great other than the rain and eventual calling of the race. The ground was soaked and my brother and I were there at turn 10 when it started to rain, many of the cars spun and then the red flag. It went from just fine to crazy in just a few minutes. The problem was that the rain was not being soaked up by the ground at all due to the recent records rains and just became rivers across the track. I wasn’t down by turn 1 but they said it was worse there.

We hung out down at the paddock for quite awhile and it was clear that everyone wasn’t sure what was going to happen. Eventually the rain started to slack and they started to work on clearing the track. We were right there when McNish jumped in one of the safety cars (I believe with some other drivers) to ride around and examine the track. I am assuming that parts were just fine, but I believe that there were places that still had water running across the track. Couple that with darkness, the lack of time and with no idea exactly when the existing rivers on the track would slow down I am not surprised they called the race. Would I have liked them to race the last hour or so? Sure, but I am going to have to trust those in charge. My impression was that the majority of those in the pits were happy that it had been called.

We hung around for the podium celebrations and yes they did spray Champaign.
Old 27 Sep 2009, 02:04 (Ref:2548974)   #364
Number7
Racer

Denmark
Copenhagen
Number7 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
What a disappointment! And having Peugeot declared as winner afte a race like that!Can't believe it!
Old 27 Sep 2009, 02:17 (Ref:2548977)   #365
chernaudi
Veteran

United States
Mansfield, Ohio
chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!
Only thing that IMSA could've done was either:

1-break their own rules and stop the clock and reset it to when the race was red flagged, or

2-see how bad things were with drainage(which they knew of) and postpone the race for a couple of weeks.

They though that they could get the race in, but the drainage couldn't handle the water runoff from 1-3 inches of rain that fell in a period of a couple of hours on ground that had about 10-15 inches of rain saturated in it.

The only other thing is if IMSA makes a rule where if they can't get the race to half way(which they didn't), they have to restart as things were the next day, like NASCAR, but I don't see that happening.
Old 27 Sep 2009, 02:21 (Ref:2548979)   #366
andy_b
Veteran

Canada
Vancouver (I escaped from UK)
andy_b is going for a new world record!andy_b is going for a new world record!andy_b is going for a new world record!andy_b is going for a new world record!andy_b is going for a new world record!andy_b is going for a new world record!andy_b is going for a new world record!
just got back to the hotels.

The water wasnt draining very quickly, partly as the water table was already very heavy. As someone mentioned McNish (and I believe Sarrazin) went around in the Cayenne. Is really was extremely bad. It did seem to let off for a short time, but it wasn't long. Ironic, its hardly raining now

I dont think Speed had any influence in the decision. I was in the Radio Le Mans booth (Speed were next door) and neither of us knew what was happening until the top of the timing screens changed from Red to Black. It was quite an experience seeing Hindy adlib and fill for 3 1/2 hrs.

I also heard in the press room that Peugeot said they needed more time than the petrols to get ready.

A Strange day and event. I'm just glad I spent two solid days around the track on Thursday and Friday
Old 27 Sep 2009, 04:08 (Ref:2548988)   #367
the real Stig
Rookie

the real Stig should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
[QUOTE=fiend540;2548902]...and the Acuras proved to be a dud.QUOTE]

Acuras were neutralized by a dumb ass driving decision by Field. They were really attacking in the wet. could have finished right up there, who knows where.

Shame that Honda did not develop it enough. Only Gas car to ever really challenge the Diesels. (premature) RIP.
Old 27 Sep 2009, 04:25 (Ref:2548989)   #368
Purist
Veteran

United States
Wichita, Kansas, USA
Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!
Sorry to burst the bubbles of those talking about waiting for the next time around (whether that be Laguna, Sebring, Le Mans, or PLM '10). However, unless we get some new manufacturers in SOON, I sincerely doubt PLM will have this kind of potential again in GTs AND prototypes for at least another five years; we had the most works cars at LM this year that we've had since 1999 or 2000 (3 Audis, 3 Astons, 3(4) Peugeots)! Since Peugeot won Le Mans this year, they may very well be done for some time to come. Toyota is only rumours at this point, and we wouldn't see them for at least 18 months, if they do come to LM, and may not see them at all over here. Are Audi actually doing anything next year? If the lions decide they're done, the four rings may not see much point. I highly doubt the Lola-Astons will be a real match for updated R15s. It's also NOT looking very promising on the Acura front either.

What can I say, I have a passion for driving, but it's exceedingly unlikely that I will be permitted to pursue it. I can say that for the other things I have such a passion for, I get extremely focused, so I have no doubt that I would be one of those clouded by the red mists to some noticeable extent. Behind the wheel, I don't think I would be a particular hazard to others purely based on that focus, but neither would I have particular concern for my personal welfare. My focus and care would be entirely centered on the act of driving well and attempting to win.
Old 27 Sep 2009, 04:28 (Ref:2548990)   #369
Purist
Veteran

United States
Wichita, Kansas, USA
Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!
Dale Sr. is dead and Little Al faded into obscurity some time ago. I'm definitely a fan of Brabham, Magnussen, Donohue, and Gurney in the two series over here, but I cannot say that my attachment/hero worship is at the same sort of heights that it was with Earnhardt and Unser. Thus, I can't say that the threat of losing drivers with perhaps somewhat greater frequency phases me the way it does some. Frankly, I think the current level of complacency in and around the sport proves that, if anything, things have become too safe in some ways.

And don't take this as not caring or being stupid or naive. I don't want drivers dying regularly or spectators killed by the dozens. Then again, PEOPLE DIE crossing the street EVERYDAY. TENS of THOUSANDS of people DIE on this nation's PUBLIC roads EVERY YEAR. I think I'll save a somewhat greater measure of my concern and sympathy for those souls than I will for those lost, or who might be lost, in racing.

Honestly, I can think of no better way to go than doing something you love, can you? Also, racing is a human sport, and thus some element of danger is actually beneficial. It reminds us that these are real, flesh-and-blood, mere mortal men and woman, which I think is a good thing. It allows us to still hoist them up, while at the same time permitting us to connect with them because they are like us, and are not actually superhuman beings beyond our reach nor beyond the grasp of the frailties that we all face in real life. Their abilities give us something to look up to, but since we perceive them as being like us, we can feel more able to strive for greater things in our own lives. Such figures can be legitimately looked up to and be truly inspiring. One thing we certainly could do with more of right now is hope, and people who can instill it.
Old 27 Sep 2009, 04:29 (Ref:2548991)   #370
Purist
Veteran

United States
Wichita, Kansas, USA
Now then, as I keep saying in a more round about way, I don't find today's conditions unprecedented for what has been raced in in the past, and that's my key metric. Since it has been done, why the hell can't it be done now?! We should be MORE capable now to do those things, and thus certainly be able to do them with a much greater margin of safety. We should be MORE capable now, period!

My comment earlier was what my personal reaction would be to my own screw-up. Why would I need to tell it to Allan's face? Do you think McNish pats himself on the back after a foul-up like the spin today? Of course he doesn't! As far as I'm concerned, in the cockpit, you do the task at hand. The weather, the traffic, are all excuses in the end. You are responsible for everything and everything is your choice. Poor performances can only be tolerated for so long. There comes a point when you're either delivering results or you're just making excuses. I'm not directing this at any of you personally, or even at the general "you" really. That standard, at some subconscious level, is the yoke I put around my own neck.
Old 27 Sep 2009, 04:57 (Ref:2548993)   #371
The359
Veteran

United States
Pennsylvania, USA
What the...?
Old 27 Sep 2009, 05:20 (Ref:2548994)   #372
Purist
Veteran

United States
Wichita, Kansas, USA
Sorry, I guess I just had the red mist/tunnel vision at the keyboard. Sometimes, when I get going inside my head, I just have to unload. Like I said, I get REALLY focused sometimes. Goodnight all!
Old 27 Sep 2009, 05:46 (Ref:2548995)   #373
chernaudi
Veteran

United States
Mansfield, Ohio
chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!
Fact of the matter is that no one-even Audi, Peugeot or IMSA-can beat Mother Nature or the weather, though they tried-Peugeot was just a little luckier today-and maybe counting their blessings, because the Audis drove away in the rain, and they-namely the #2 R15-was as fast, if not at times faster in the dry as well(McNish ran the fastest race lap, so that and the Green Challenge are good pity prizes).

But Audi has closed the gap down from what it was at Le Mans-it could be down to the R15's post LM testing the the relative lack of testing by Peugeot, Peugeot still having some work to do for their cars in the rain, Road Atlanta suiting the Audis more in race trim, or any combination of the above-but Audi will be on it for next year, especially if Peugeot no longer runs 908s as a full factory effort(depening on who you ask, Peugeot will run a factory program similar to this year of running 3-4 races, or run a semi-works team with Pescarolo).
Old 27 Sep 2009, 06:34 (Ref:2549006)   #374
MJ_N_09
Veteran

United States
Quote:
Originally Posted by The359 View Post
What the...?

Seconded. He still wasn't over this? He wasn't even there!
Old 27 Sep 2009, 06:37 (Ref:2549009)   #375
MJ_N_09
Veteran

United States
Quote:
Originally Posted by arakis View Post
Do you ever stop whining, like ever, Risi won deal with it, quit being a sour losser.

Risi had the no1 pos with a lap on the field before the race was canceled, and would have probably won since. If you are saying ohhh the safety cars don't count, well that's just plain !#$!$!$,

You have no way of predicting how the race would have ended for another 5 or so houres, and if even a single porsche would have crossed the line, Ferrari fans should be the ones saying its unfar, if the race was restarted, the 45 engine would have probalby blown....... and stuff like that

This is Motorsport, things like this will always happen, you cant except drivers to risk their lives in weather like that, or th orginisers to come up with the cash, and coverage for another day of racing.
As long as there is no ignore feature, I have to put up with this. Honestly come on!! Total lies.
Closed Thread