Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Indycar Series

Old 4 Apr 2009, 00:02 (Ref:2432860)   #351
DanicaFan
Veteran

United States
Stuckeyville
DanicaFan should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Good news for Luczo Dragon Racing and Raphael Matos in the #2 car. The US Air Force and the US Marines have partnered with them and will be their primary sponsor throughout the 2009 season. The Air Force and Marines will alternate throughout the season.
Old 4 Apr 2009, 14:38 (Ref:2433290)   #352
luke
Veteran

England
West Sussex, England
luke should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridluke should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Down F0rce View Post
This article states that Petty will team up with D&R for Indy.

http://www.google.com/hostednews/ap/...FhLkwD97B7BF00

It'll be cool seeing the #43 at Indy!

Very cool indeed I hope it happens.

Shame that the Indy start time got put back so no NASCAR drivers can take part pretty much...
Old 4 Apr 2009, 14:42 (Ref:2433294)   #353
Flyin Ryan
Veteran

United States
Carolina del Norte
Flyin Ryan should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Listening to Trackside from Thursday night. http://media.1070thefan.com/podcasts/trackside4-2.mp3

-Sounds like Scheckter is racing for purse money. Mike King, the IRL radio commentator, said that from what he understands, if Scheckter can race at Long Beach, roll the car back on the trailer after the race in one piece, collect a paycheck, they can go to Kansas. If they do that at Kansas, they can go to Indianapolis. And apparently Scheckter's car will be entirely Beck Motorsports, as opposed to Stanton Barrett's car which will be CURB/Agajanian/3G, where Beck is one of the 3G, "3 guys".

-Believes Tagliani is the same as Scheckter. If they can run St. Pete and it's a fairly successful race, on to Long Beach.

-Buddy Rice and Rubicon (pretty much the Pacific Coast team that ran some races with Mario Dominguez last year) will show up at some point.

-Darren Manning is a one-race deal. Dreyer & Reinbold says they're focusing on Mike Conway, and they'll only do a second car if it makes sense for the team, and Manning is an example of that.

-Apparently more hope of Castroneves being found not guilty, the defense is now making their case. Will Power doesn't sound hopeful of being employed for the full season because of that, however he's being paid for the full season regardless. King thinks that if Castroneves is found not guilty and comes back after St. Petersburg or even Long Beach, that Power will definitely still have a ride at Indianapolis and Penske might give his son a call at Luczo Dragon and perhaps work out something for some road course events.

-Jay Howard, who ran some races for Marty Roth in IRL last year, is back to racing in the Lights full-time.
Old 4 Apr 2009, 14:46 (Ref:2433299)   #354
Flyin Ryan
Veteran

United States
Carolina del Norte
Flyin Ryan should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by luke View Post
Very cool indeed I hope it happens.

Shame that the Indy start time got put back so no NASCAR drivers can take part pretty much...
Better for the spectators. You had to get up at 6 in the morning even if you were right in the city to get there, take a look around the infield in the morning, eat an early lunch, watch the pre-race festivities.

The one thing that hurt doing the Double was when the state of Indiana made the decision to be on eastern time 12 months a year a couple years ago. It lost them one of the hours between the finish of the Indy 500 and the start of the World 600. You can still do it, but it'd be even more draining on the driver than before.
Old 5 Apr 2009, 04:59 (Ref:2433701)   #355
Tim Northcutt
Veteran

United States
Indianapolis
Tim Northcutt should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTim Northcutt should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTim Northcutt should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTim Northcutt should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flyin Ryan View Post
Better for the spectators. You had to get up at 6 in the morning even if you were right in the city to get there, take a look around the infield in the morning, eat an early lunch, watch the pre-race festivities.

The one thing that hurt doing the Double was when the state of Indiana made the decision to be on eastern time 12 months a year a couple years ago. It lost them one of the hours between the finish of the Indy 500 and the start of the World 600. You can still do it, but it'd be even more draining on the driver than before.

Agreed...But the race started at 11 a.m. for many years...now it is really much later and daylight savings time makes it even worse, since Indy is on East Coast time now...

One American Open Wheel Series!
Old 5 Apr 2009, 12:22 (Ref:2434086)   #356
luke
Veteran

England
West Sussex, England
luke should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridluke should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Penske will run 3

http://www.indystar.com/article/200...9/1052/SPORTS01
Old 5 Apr 2009, 14:24 (Ref:2434214)   #357
luke
Veteran

England
West Sussex, England
Several souces are saying that Milka will be doing the oval races whilst Manning shall be doing the road races in the 2nd D&R seat.
Old 5 Apr 2009, 15:44 (Ref:2434338)   #358
Tim Northcutt
Veteran

United States
Indianapolis
Tim Northcutt should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTim Northcutt should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTim Northcutt should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTim Northcutt should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim Northcutt View Post
The Plot Thickens!

Mike King just said on this afternoon's inducar.com video stream:

"The Petty/Andretti deal is not the one" he was referring to in his earlier comments....

So there is a Second Deal coming on Monday?

On trackforum, a guy who does media and covers the IRL has hinted that there IS a second one coming on Monday.

There may not be a second announcement on Monday, but there will be a second deal announced, probably sometime this week...

It does not involve Tony Stewart and it does not involve Paul Tracy...

I think it is Robby Gordon and Childress

Old 5 Apr 2009, 15:46 (Ref:2434343)   #359
Tim Northcutt
Veteran

United States
Indianapolis
Quote:
Several souces are saying that Milka will be doing the oval races whilst Manning shall be doing the road races in the 2nd D&R seat.
WRTV-6 (ABC affiliate in Indy) reported Milka for 8 ovals and manning for the other 9 races

Old 5 Apr 2009, 15:49 (Ref:2434349)   #360
DanicaFan
Veteran

United States
Stuckeyville
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim Northcutt View Post
WRTV-6 (ABC affiliate in Indy) reported Milka for 8 ovals and manning for the other 9 races
I saw that too. As I said in another forum, what a waste of time, money, personnel, and equipment (car included) putting Milka on the ovals or anywhere for that matter. If I was in charge over there, I would have Manning in that car full-time.
Old 5 Apr 2009, 16:22 (Ref:2434376)   #361
Tim Northcutt
Veteran

United States
Indianapolis
Quote:
Originally Posted by DanicaFan View Post
I saw that too. As I said in another forum, what a waste of time, money, personnel, and equipment (car included) putting Milka on the ovals or anywhere for that matter. If I was in charge over there, I would have Manning in that car full-time.
He sure showed well for himself this weekend thus far with literally no seat time at all before they rolled it off the trailer in St. Pete.

Manning ran a great race with Foyt last year at St. Pete as well....He deserves the ride, but Milka is bringing the $$$...it is a shame

Old 6 Apr 2009, 07:42 (Ref:2434826)   #362
madman16
Racer

Australia
Brisvegas, Aus
madman16 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I think Hunter-Reay showed today why he should be out there and i think TG made the right decision. Clearly a few of the other Americans are struggling with things at the moment. I'm beginning to wonder if Marco's got what it takes too.
Old 6 Apr 2009, 09:34 (Ref:2434914)   #363
climb
Veteran

St Pierre and Miquelon
closer than you thought!
climb should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridclimb should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by madman16 View Post
... I'm beginning to wonder if Marco's got what it takes too.
Of course he has: a very famous family, and a strong sponsorship base
Old 6 Apr 2009, 10:23 (Ref:2434950)   #364
madman16
Racer

Australia
Brisvegas, Aus
madman16 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by climb View Post
Of course he has: a very famous family, and a strong sponsorship base
I noticed you didn't mention anything about driver ability
Old 6 Apr 2009, 13:17 (Ref:2435160)   #365
ozrevhead
Veteran

Australia
Adelaide, Australia
ozrevhead should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
It been removed - got another link mate
Old 6 Apr 2009, 21:02 (Ref:2435475)   #366
luke
Veteran

England
West Sussex, England

Petty and Andretti at Indy, pretty cool.

-Just need Paul Tracy back from Indy onwards in the 2nd KV machine and Vasser to do Indy and that'll be it.

Moreno wants to attempt Indy as well.
Old 6 Apr 2009, 21:25 (Ref:2435484)   #367
mountainstar
Veteran

United States
mountainstar should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridmountainstar should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridmountainstar should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:

Petty and Andretti at Indy, pretty cool.

-Just need Paul Tracy back from Indy onwards in the 2nd KV machine and Vasser to do Indy and that'll be it.

Moreno wants to attempt Indy as well.
PT has a seven figure sum of sponsorship but I haven't heard what he is going to do with it. Hopefully we can lure him from the dark side over to sports cars, but I don't think he is ready to leave open wheel cars yet. It's possible you could see him in off road racing at some point as well.
Old 6 Apr 2009, 21:30 (Ref:2435487)   #368
luke
Veteran

England
West Sussex, England
Quote:
Originally Posted by mountainstar View Post
PT has a seven figure sum of sponsorship but I haven't heard what he is going to do with it. Hopefully we can lure him from the dark side over to sports cars, but I don't think he is ready to leave open wheel cars yet. It's possible you could see him in off road racing at some point as well.
When off roading do you mean dakar style off-road rallying? I couldn't really see PT in thee ALMS LOL, doesn't seem like the type of driver who would be patient enough to do endurance races etc and be patient enough with the car and not push it every lap. Not saying he wouldn't win in ALMS but I don't think he'd do that well every race because of his driving style.

I think PT has unfinished business in American Open Wheel. He wiped the floor with the field last year at Edmonton in Vision machinery in his one off race by finishing 4th. IMHO his experience would help him be in postion to win Indy at the end of the race.
Old 6 Apr 2009, 21:35 (Ref:2435493)   #369
Canada ALMS fan
Veteran

Canada
Calgary, Canada
Canada ALMS fan should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridCanada ALMS fan should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridCanada ALMS fan should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Tracy needs to do Indy and the Canadian races this year IMO or his open wheel days will be behind him. Mountainstar, are his sponsors for Indy only or full season and are you hearing if the series will put him in a seat again for the 2 races in Canada? Thanks.
Old 6 Apr 2009, 22:16 (Ref:2435525)   #370
Down F0rce
Veteran

Scotland
Aberdeenshire, Scotland
Down F0rce should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridDown F0rce should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridDown F0rce should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridDown F0rce should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
I was rather sceptical over the whole Petty deal at first. I mean, NASCAR has been hit by the recession and Petty's team was among many to have merged with other teams in the off season. IndyCar doesn't register a blip of the radar of the average TV viewer, so no real corporate sponsorship to be found. The Indy 500 has been in decline in prestige in the eyes of many fans as well as those who pay the bills. This must be an expensive thing for Petty to be doing with no real gains to be made, so why do it?

The conclusion I came to was one I should have slapped myself for forgetting. He must be doing it simply for the passion of motor racing. In these times of recessions and sponsors and charts and demographics it's sometimes easy to forget the reason we love this sport in the first place. I sincerely hope for all the best for Richard Petty and John Andretti. Hopefully a model of this car will make it's way onto my shelf.
Old 6 Apr 2009, 22:23 (Ref:2435527)   #371
Jimmy Magnusson
Veteran

Sweden
Jimmy Magnusson should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridJimmy Magnusson should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Why do you think Milka's in the car instead of Manning?

(Hint: It's not talent)
Old 6 Apr 2009, 23:08 (Ref:2435542)   #372
mountainstar
Veteran

United States
mountainstar should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridmountainstar should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridmountainstar should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Canada ALMS fan View Post
Tracy needs to do Indy and the Canadian races this year IMO or his open wheel days will be behind him. Mountainstar, are his sponsors for Indy only or full season and are you hearing if the series will put him in a seat again for the 2 races in Canada? Thanks.
Dunno. All I know is he has a sum of sponsorship money available. What he might use that for or when or if at all, I didn't inquire further.
Old 6 Apr 2009, 23:12 (Ref:2435544)   #373
mountainstar
Veteran

United States
Quote:
When off roading do you mean dakar style off-road rallying? I couldn't really see PT in thee ALMS LOL, doesn't seem like the type of driver who would be patient enough to do endurance races etc and be patient enough with the car and not push it every lap. Not saying he wouldn't win in ALMS but I don't think he'd do that well every race because of his driving style.

I think PT has unfinished business in American Open Wheel. He wiped the floor with the field last year at Edmonton in Vision machinery in his one off race by finishing 4th. IMHO his experience would help him be in postion to win Indy at the end of the race.
You are probably right on the sportscar angle. However I think if someone was paying him, he turn up to drive.

I think trophy trucks or baja might be the deal, but I could see the dakar as being a possibility. He'd be a good fit for that kind of racing.
Old 8 Apr 2009, 04:42 (Ref:2436388)   #374
DanicaFan
Veteran

United States
Stuckeyville
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimmy Magnusson View Post
Why do you think Milka's in the car instead of Manning?

(Hint: It's not talent)
Oh I know she is only in it because of money, sure isnt talent, she has none.

As for the Petty thing, cool but they will be a mid-pack team at best.
Old 8 Apr 2009, 06:36 (Ref:2436407)   #375
climb
Veteran

St Pierre and Miquelon
closer than you thought!
climb should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridclimb should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
...As for the Petty thing, cool but they will be a mid-pack team at best.
I agree with your prediction, tho I think that a Nascar team (not a Nascar driver like it happened in the past) showing interest to Idy500, could prove more than just "cool": who knows? Maybe in the future other may follow...