Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Sportscar & GT Racing > North American Racing

Old 12 Aug 2013, 22:47 (Ref:3289039)   #351
ACFlinn
Racer

ACFlinn is heading for a stewards' enquiry!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt View Post
A bunch of the dp teams are funded by the series itself.
I've hear this rumor many times.

Can you provide the slightest shred of evidence?

Andy Flinn
Old 12 Aug 2013, 22:55 (Ref:3289041)   #352
David Land
Veteran

United States
Franklin, Indiana
David Land has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Quote:
Originally Posted by ACFlinn View Post
I've hear this rumor many times.

Can you provide the slightest shred of evidence?

Andy Flinn
Who owns Action Express racing?

Who owns Spirit of Daytona?

Come on, lets please use our brains here.
Old 12 Aug 2013, 22:56 (Ref:3289042)   #353
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Please do not bring the petty, tedious and repetitive rubbish into race threads. If we're done discussing the race then fine the thread will die naturally. Please do not kill it with the same old bickering. Such a horrible death.
Old 13 Aug 2013, 01:03 (Ref:3289065)   #354
BullMan
Veteran

BullMan should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by David Land View Post

Why NASCAR funds Action Express! Also, they fund Spirit of Daytona! Who the hell else would advertise the fact that they're based in Daytona of all places?
Old 13 Aug 2013, 04:19 (Ref:3289095)   #355
Beetle
Veteran

United States
Texas
Beetle is going for a new lap record!Beetle is going for a new lap record!Beetle is going for a new lap record!Beetle is going for a new lap record!Beetle is going for a new lap record!Beetle is going for a new lap record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by David Land View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by BullMan View Post
Why NASCAR funds Action Express! Also, they fund Spirit of Daytona! Who the hell else would advertise the fact that they're based in Daytona of all places?
Post #353, guys, post #353.

I've been quite busy as of late (only managed to watch the Nationwide race at the Glen), but I heard Viper won! Wow, great news for them, and I'm so happy for them. They really could have won a lot earlier on (like Long Beach) but luck finally came their way. I have a feeling that will be the first win of many for SRT...
Old 13 Aug 2013, 05:33 (Ref:3289107)   #356
Articus
Veteran

Articus should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridArticus should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridArticus should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Hopefully good results for everyone. I think the next few tracks we should see back to a race between Corvette, Viper, and finally BMW. The BMW's will be superb around Baltimore, COTA, and VIR. They shouldn't expect any restrictor breaks because they won't need them to run with the pack in the next races. Baltimore is tight and good for the short wheelbase similar to longbeach. COTA is a downforce track. VIR is a downforce track.

Now where does Risi fit into this puzzle.

Finally what happened the AJR Battery Tender Ferrari in race??

Last edited by Articus; 13 Aug 2013 at 05:42.
Old 13 Aug 2013, 06:05 (Ref:3289114)   #357
Lagunaseca_4life
Veteran

United States
Central Valley CA
Lagunaseca_4life should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridLagunaseca_4life should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
http://www.endurance-info.com/versio...cus-19955.html

Engine troubles took them out, braodcast totally missed that one.also noticed they started from the back like article says but never found out why.
Old 13 Aug 2013, 06:08 (Ref:3289115)   #358
ThatGuy
Rookie

ThatGuy should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
They failed the stall test after qualifying.
Old 13 Aug 2013, 14:47 (Ref:3289291)   #359
Mechanic Z
Veteran

United States
Mos Eisley
Mechanic Z should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridMechanic Z should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridMechanic Z should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridMechanic Z should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Hedlund View Post
I wish they could get them done faster, but because it's multi-class racing they *must* get the field in order first. Otherwise, at every caution you risk going a lap down to your own class leader based SOLEY on where and who the safety car decides to pickup first.

As for why they actually decide to go FCY, well.. I think in the ALMS races it's always for safety. In Europe they'll do a local caution and send the marshalls out into a gravel trap w/ some equipment to get the car back on track. That doesn't seem to happen here in the states (and I don't really blame them, you couldn't pay me enough to be a marshall and go out there to do that! have you seen some of these "professional" drivers? lol!).

It's a crappy problem.. but I haven't heard of a better solution or spent much time trying to come up with one myself.

-mike
+1. The ALMS safety car procedure takes a lot of time, but safety needs to come first.
As for the race, In person it was AWESOME. Can't say I liked seeing Viper win, but hey, it was a good fight anyway!
Old 13 Aug 2013, 15:04 (Ref:3289300)   #360
Articus
Veteran

Articus should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridArticus should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridArticus should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lagunaseca_4life View Post
http://www.endurance-info.com/versio...cus-19955.html

Engine troubles took them out, braodcast totally missed that one.also noticed they started from the back like article says but never found out why.
Ferrari!!
Old 13 Aug 2013, 15:17 (Ref:3289306)   #361
HORNDAWG
Veteran

United States
Oregon
HORNDAWG should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridHORNDAWG should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridHORNDAWG should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p_7Coue_n-Y

L.P.
Old 13 Aug 2013, 15:23 (Ref:3289309)   #362
Mechanic Z
Veteran

United States
Mos Eisley
Mechanic Z should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridMechanic Z should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridMechanic Z should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridMechanic Z should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by HORNDAWG View Post
That was quick! It'll be good to watch the race broadcast. Thanks for the link!
Old 13 Aug 2013, 17:32 (Ref:3289358)   #363
TRspitfirefan
Veteran

United States
TRspitfirefan should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTRspitfirefan should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTRspitfirefan should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTRspitfirefan should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
What a great weekend! There is nothing quite like seeing an ALMS race in person. I also really enjoyed the Conti race.The Grand Am race was fun to watch, although I was disappointed that the fall line Audi didn't start the race. IMSA lights and IMSA GT3 cup is always a good show as well.
Four days of great racing!
Old 14 Aug 2013, 00:13 (Ref:3289478)   #364
Beetle
Veteran

United States
Texas
Beetle is going for a new lap record!Beetle is going for a new lap record!Beetle is going for a new lap record!Beetle is going for a new lap record!Beetle is going for a new lap record!Beetle is going for a new lap record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Articus View Post
Ferrari!!
Their only halfway decent team seems to be Risi, and they missed the Mosport round, so they are out of contention for the title. AF Corse is where it's at, and possibly SMP Racing. But in America, after the ESM transition, I'm afraid business with Ferrari actually winning races is down and out.
Old 14 Aug 2013, 01:49 (Ref:3289496)   #365
Articus
Veteran

Bruni, Vilander, Salo, Melo. Where the hell are these guys! Well not Melo.
Old 14 Aug 2013, 01:56 (Ref:3289500)   #366
Jonerz
Veteran

United States
Youston
Jonerz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridJonerz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beetle View Post
Their only halfway decent team seems to be Risi, and they missed the Mosport round, so they are out of contention for the title. AF Corse is where it's at, and possibly SMP Racing. But in America, after the ESM transition, I'm afraid business with Ferrari actually winning races is down and out.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Articus View Post
Bruni, Vilander, Salo, Melo. Where the hell are these guys! Well not Melo.
Risi are having a really down year. I wonder if that should have been half-expected given they took a year off.

Melo is no longer a factory driver, I think Salo may be "retired" from American racing, anyway. Bruni and Vilander would increase the competitiveness of the team a lot.

I'm hoping one or two of the GAGT Ferraris transition to GTLM next year, with R.Ferri Motorsport being the prime candidate in my opinion. They have a history as partners with Giuseppe, I believe Remo wants to be in the premier GT category and keep an all-pro lineup intact. Whether that is Jeff and Max, or Jeff and Alex, or possibly factory drivers, who knows?

Chris
Old 14 Aug 2013, 08:18 (Ref:3289575)   #367
avvelenamento
Racer

avvelenamento User had had their licence endorsedavvelenamento User had had their licence endorsed
Does IMSA site release max speed event bullettins?
Old 14 Aug 2013, 12:14 (Ref:3289668)   #368
John Edwards
Rookie

John Edwards should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Accident View Post
Personally, I like the livery of the Rolex GT car better than the Conti car. ..It may be a tube frame, but that Camaro is one of my favorite cars running today. I like the livery a lot, I like both drivers a lot, I like the team a lot, and I love the way it gobbles up the curbs and looks very compliant. I may be a bit biased though, as I grew up in a Chevy household and have always liked Camaros.
Thanks for the Camaro support! Of the two, I prefer the Conti better. Both look great to me though.
Old 14 Aug 2013, 12:22 (Ref:3289675)   #369
TRspitfirefan
Veteran

United States
TRspitfirefan should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTRspitfirefan should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTRspitfirefan should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTRspitfirefan should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by John Edwards View Post
Of the two, I prefer the Conti better.
I agree.
Old 14 Aug 2013, 12:35 (Ref:3289682)   #370
FalkenALMS
Racer

FalkenALMS should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridFalkenALMS should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Hedlund View Post
I wish they could get them done faster, but because it's multi-class racing they *must* get the field in order first. Otherwise, at every caution you risk going a lap down to your own class leader based SOLEY on where and who the safety car decides to pickup first.

As for why they actually decide to go FCY, well.. I think in the ALMS races it's always for safety.
Agreed with Mike. Sure, FCYs aren't entertaining for the fans, but their number one purpose is for safety. Doing a local yellow with some of the crashes at RA would have caused more carnage. It's much safer to get the accident cleaned up and get the car out of the way. It also gives (some) teams a little help with passarounds, and adds to the strategy with additional chances for pit stops.

For those complaining about the last yellow, that certainly took more than nine minutes to clean up. There was no way they could have gotten that out of the way, completed pass arounds and gone back to green before the end.

Thanks to everyone who came out to say hello during the weekend. We'll get photos up of the 10/10ths tour within the next day or two.
Old 14 Aug 2013, 12:50 (Ref:3289689)   #371
TRspitfirefan
Veteran

United States
I think the current FCY system works pretty well. It does take awhile, but it allows track workers a much better level of safety than the European races.
The flaw with the "Code 60" method, is that the cars would still be spread out. The corner workers would not have as much time between the cars going by.

Also the cautions did not seem as long, when watching the race in person.
Old 14 Aug 2013, 12:50 (Ref:3289690)   #372
Fogelhund
Veteran

Canada
Binbrook, ON Canada
Fogelhund has a real shot at the championship!Fogelhund has a real shot at the championship!Fogelhund has a real shot at the championship!Fogelhund has a real shot at the championship!Fogelhund has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by FalkenALMS View Post
Agreed with Mike. Sure, FCYs aren't entertaining for the fans, but their number one purpose is for safety. Doing a local yellow with some of the crashes at RA would have caused more carnage. It's much safer to get the accident cleaned up and get the car out of the way. It also gives (some) teams a little help with passarounds, and adds to the strategy with additional chances for pit stops.

For those complaining about the last yellow, that certainly took more than nine minutes to clean up. There was no way they could have gotten that out of the way, completed pass arounds and gone back to green before the end.

Thanks to everyone who came out to say hello during the weekend. We'll get photos up of the 10/10ths tour within the next day or two.

Code 60... or Code whatever speed you pick is the answer. A caution is needed, you call Code 60... cars must circulate at a maximum speed, in this case 60 km/h... no safety car, no waive arounds, nobody gains advantage or disadvantage from the yellows.
Old 14 Aug 2013, 13:33 (Ref:3289708)   #373
Maelochs
Veteran

Maelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
As was mentioned above, Code 60 leaves cars spread out. This is fine so long as track workers and emergency vehicles don't have to cross the track or work near the track's edge.

For big wrecks in hard-to-reach places, FCY might be the best choice, and as Mr. Hedlund notes, once the pace car hits the track in multi-class racing, wave-bys are needed for fairness (I know I saw a lot of complaint on an old ALMS site before wave-bys were added.)

My hope now is that USCR will spend the money for corner cranes (seeing as they are making car owners spend the money for roof hooks) so FCYs can be short and fewer---a crane in the corner of that final wreck would have made all the difference.
Old 14 Aug 2013, 14:12 (Ref:3289723)   #374
MoMedic9019
Veteran

United States
Wauwatosa, WI
MoMedic9019 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridMoMedic9019 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridMoMedic9019 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Maelochs, it would have, other than the fact it's not physically possible there. The area behind the wall is a 70* slope.
“We’re trying to close the doors without embarrassing ourselves, the France family and embarrassing (the) Grand American Series,” he said in the deposition. “There is no money. There is no purse. There’s nothing.”
Old 14 Aug 2013, 14:18 (Ref:3289727)   #375
EricS
Racer

United States
Austin, TX
EricS should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Majority of the FCYs are slowed down due to the pit stop rules; GA takes 3 laps just to get the pit stops out of the way. If they would leave the pits open like F1 things would go a lot faster, or close them for the duration of the yellow (making exception for those that are almost out of fuel or damaged from the cause of the yellow)