Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Sportscar & GT Racing > ACO Regulated Series

Old 27 Apr 2008, 17:29 (Ref:2188401)   #351
olly83
Racer

United Kingdom
olly83 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
The stream wasn't working properly for me so that's the first time i've seen the accident, but my god both drivers were so lucky that didn't end up much worse. I understand Ortelli has a broken ankle/foot, Hope he gets well soon and is back in action before long
Old 27 Apr 2008, 17:42 (Ref:2188409)   #352
JAG
Veteran

England
JAG should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridJAG should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridJAG should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by canam
The crash in the oreca courage must reopen discussion over the safety issues. The LMP1 regs were revamped many years ago to prevent what we saw at Monza from happening. I can see further moves to further alter some of the aero features. thank goodness, Ortelli is OK. that was one of the worst crashes that I have seen .
It was a totally different accident.

The flips were caused by air getting under the front of a car, Ortelli's accident was the car being launched by a hump in the grass, side-on. The aero actally worked as the car was moving back into a flat, upright position, but dug into the ground which caused the cartwheel.

I wouldn't be suprised to see bigger rear wing endplates etc, while these kind of accidents make closed cars look an even better option safety wise.
Old 27 Apr 2008, 18:33 (Ref:2188452)   #353
skycafe
Race Official
Veteran

United States
Water on three sides
skycafe is going for a new lap record!skycafe is going for a new lap record!skycafe is going for a new lap record!skycafe is going for a new lap record!skycafe is going for a new lap record!skycafe is going for a new lap record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by deggis
WOW
Old 27 Apr 2008, 19:15 (Ref:2188482)   #354
Duff_44
Racer

United States
Bristol, CT
Duff_44 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by PascaLM
Dear.
McNish and Ortelli won together at Le Mans 10 years ago.
Ortelli took off already once with a Porsche GT1 in ALMS.
The GT1 crash at PLM in 1998 was with Yannick Dalmas driving, not Ortelli.
Old 27 Apr 2008, 19:17 (Ref:2188486)   #355
Marcel ten Caat
Veteran

Netherlands
The Netherlands
Marcel ten Caat should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridMarcel ten Caat should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
GT2 update: the race winning IMSA Porsche has been excluded.
Old 27 Apr 2008, 19:27 (Ref:2188491)   #356
PascaLM
Race Official
Veteran

France
Near Blois, France
PascaLM will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FamePascaLM will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FamePascaLM will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FamePascaLM will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FamePascaLM will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FamePascaLM will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FamePascaLM will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FamePascaLM will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FamePascaLM will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FamePascaLM will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FamePascaLM will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by Duff_44
The GT1 crash at PLM in 1998 was with Yannick Dalmas driving, not Ortelli.
Yes, Dalmas was driving.
Old 27 Apr 2008, 19:38 (Ref:2188500)   #357
dj choc ice
Veteran

United Kingdom
Liverpool
dj choc ice should be qualifying in the top 10 on the griddj choc ice should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stranger
GT2 update: the race winning IMSA Porsche has been excluded.
under what circumstances?
Old 27 Apr 2008, 19:52 (Ref:2188512)   #358
AX lover
Racer

Netherlands
AX lover should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Anybody knows what's the deal with the #85 Spyker?

planetlemans.com:
Quote:
The 85 Spyker comes in the pits and does not qualify…or does it? what kind of move is that? let’s await the decision of the stewards…
Old 27 Apr 2008, 19:53 (Ref:2188513)   #359
AX lover
Racer

Netherlands
AX lover should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
@dj choc ice:

Quote:
Several hours after the race had ended the technical scrutineers found the car in breach of article 5.4.3f of the 2008 spefications of the ACO. This meant that (a part of) the airbox did not comply to the regulations.
Old 27 Apr 2008, 19:58 (Ref:2188522)   #360
Tom908V12
Veteran

France
Paris(France)
Tom908V12 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Badger
That might screw up his Le Mans !!! Who is the reserve Pug driver ?

Anthony Beltoise this season...
Old 27 Apr 2008, 20:49 (Ref:2188569)   #361
sssssssss
Veteran

sssssssss should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridsssssssss should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by JAG
This is not correct.

There are no restrictions on qualifying pace.

The 3.30 (consistent race pace) time is used as many cars are in different specifications, petrol, diesel, turbo, atmo, closed, open etc.

The diesels and Lola Aston Martin will likely go under 3.30 during the race, consistently, so diesels and GT1 engined cars may see a restrictor cut, and possibly more weight.

Regular petrol cars will seriously struggle to go under 3.30 during the race, so we're unlikely major changes to these cars.

The aim is to balance different technologies and have a race pace 'around' 3.30 and qualifying upto 3-4 seconds quicker. This was stated by the ACO themselves.

The same happened in GT1, the DBR9 and C6.R broke 3.55, by some margin, so were given 25kg ballast, in addition to an across the board 5% restrictor cut. The other GT1 cars were not given the extra 25kg.
Can't really see the contradiction... It's not restrictions on qualifying PACE, it's aero rules that they might change in order to generally slow the cars down.
Quote:
The ACO is considering a reduction in performances in LM P1 and
LM P2 for safety reasons, given the fact that the 3m 30s barrier was
breached in the 2007 race.
Discussions with the entrants will begin in 2008 to introduce such
measures in 2009 or 2010.
The modifications to be made will apply mainly to the bodywork, the
wings and the air restrictors, so that the LM P1 cars’ times will not
dip under 3m 30s over a lap of the Le Mans circuit.

P.S. Sorry for the late post.

Last edited by sssssssss; 27 Apr 2008 at 20:52.
Old 27 Apr 2008, 20:56 (Ref:2188580)   #362
Jimbob-18
Rookie

United Kingdom
England
Jimbob-18 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by canam
The crash in the oreca courage must reopen discussion over the safety issues. The LMP1 regs were revamped many years ago to prevent what we saw at Monza from happening. I can see further moves to further alter some of the aero features. thank goodness, Ortelli is OK. that was one of the worst crashes that I have seen .
I disagree, Monza needs to have a good look at itself. 2 Drivers injured in 2 different days aand Capello's quite big accident at the start as well doesn't boast well for the circuit. If it's all totally the cars, how come stuff like this hasn't happened at Barcelona, Spa, Nurb, Silverstone, ect in the past or in the case of Barcelona, this year already? Yes, the cars can be improved, any injury to a driver means the saftey can be improved, but the tracks need to be safe as well if the crash was at 250 km/h
Old 27 Apr 2008, 21:03 (Ref:2188588)   #363
rdjones
Take That Fan
Veteran

England
Leeds, Yorkshire
rdjones should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridrdjones should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridrdjones should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridrdjones should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Good to see Eurosport's schedule's are running to time......
Old 27 Apr 2008, 21:04 (Ref:2188590)   #364
dj choc ice
Veteran

United Kingdom
Liverpool
dj choc ice should be qualifying in the top 10 on the griddj choc ice should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
i dont think we need tilke to butcher another great race track, monza is a perfectly safe venue, i feel what weve seen here has been more down to bad luck this weekend and not a safety issue, the oreca as JAG said earlier on behaved exactly as it should of in this type of situation, the car was coming back down into a flat, wheels down position, its when the car dug into the ground that the end over end rollover was induced, look at all the monza races weve seen in the past with sportscars were speeds were much higher ala peugeot 905, toyota TS010, porsche 962, mercedes C9, jaguar XJR9, accidents happen, its a fact, no matter how safe the cars and the venue they will always happen.

we should be praising the ACO, rulemakers and oreca, in the respect that this crash could have been a lot worse in that if the cars were not as well built this crash could have been much worse ala ortelli could have been knocked out and much more seriously hurt, instead people feel the need to start slagging the rulemakers and circuit off and pointing the ugly finger of blame.

we should be glad that ortelli is fine and the circuit and cars are so safe, go back 20 years in a crash of the nature of ortelli's in say a jag XJR9 or a 962 the driver would have been much more seriously injured.
Old 27 Apr 2008, 21:05 (Ref:2188591)   #365
Jonerz
Veteran

United States
Youston
Jonerz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridJonerz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
1. Heck of a race, I really enjoyed listening to the Radio Le Mans coverage.
2. Just watched the LMS' sum-up of the event and that was a horrific crash for the Oreca-Courage. Is it just a broken ankle for Ortelli?
3. As they said on the broadcast, unfortunate the race had to end the way it did, could have been far more exciting. Audi must be extremely miffed over the contact. Will they have the opportunity to ask for a penalty to the Peugeot? I imagine they will not be able to as there was no penalty given (for good reason IMO - racing incident).
4. If anyone finds footage of the Dindo crash aside from the onboard seen on the LMS website, or footage of Jamie's crash (can anyone update his condition?) please direct me to it.

Chris
Old 27 Apr 2008, 21:05 (Ref:2188592)   #366
sssssssss
Veteran

sssssssss should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridsssssssss should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I guess the only reason for professional drivers to really gain the sums of money they gain is because of the risk that their job implies while providing the great show. The rest of it is sheer fun. To me, the safety thing today is just redundant and an artificial notion behind which certain interests can be hidden.
Old 27 Apr 2008, 21:06 (Ref:2188593)   #367
sssssssss
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimbob-18
I disagree, Monza needs to have a good look at itself. 2 Drivers injured in 2 different days aand Capello's quite big accident at the start as well doesn't boast well for the circuit. If it's all totally the cars, how come stuff like this hasn't happened at Barcelona, Spa, Nurb, Silverstone, ect in the past or in the case of Barcelona, this year already? Yes, the cars can be improved, any injury to a driver means the saftey can be improved, but the tracks need to be safe as well if the crash was at 250 km/h
The previous post was about this
Old 27 Apr 2008, 21:06 (Ref:2188594)   #368
dj choc ice
Veteran

United Kingdom
Liverpool
Quote:
Originally Posted by AX lover
@dj choc ice:
oh dear, so who inherits the win GT2 now then?

is it still a porsche victory, although i prefer the ferrari's to the porsche's it would be nice to see the porsche's winning a little more, the ferrari's do seem to be dominating which is not an entirely attractive prospect.
Old 27 Apr 2008, 21:29 (Ref:2188617)   #369
AFC-911
Racer

AFC-911 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
That was a heck of a race! I'm even more thankful that we got RLM to cover the event...What a great introduction to LMS racing!
Old 27 Apr 2008, 21:32 (Ref:2188623)   #370
The359
Veteran

United States
Pennsylvania, USA
The359 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Farnbacher's Porsche gets GT2 if IMSA is disqualified.
Old 27 Apr 2008, 22:01 (Ref:2188656)   #371
JHamilton
Veteran

United States
Atlanta, GA
JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimbob-18
I've seen clips of the accidents and none of them had anything to do with the track. Monza is as wide as a football field, very little elevation change, and plenty of run-off. What else can you do?
Old 27 Apr 2008, 22:10 (Ref:2188662)   #372
tux
Veteran

United Kingdom
United Kingdom
tux should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridtux should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridtux should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
The Imsa Porsche was disqualified due to an airbox infringement. So the Farnbacher Porsche inherits the victory.
Old 27 Apr 2008, 22:10 (Ref:2188663)   #373
deggis
Veteran

Finland
deggis is going for a new world record!deggis is going for a new world record!deggis is going for a new world record!deggis is going for a new world record!deggis is going for a new world record!deggis is going for a new world record!deggis is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by JHamilton
I've seen clips of the accidents and none of them had anything to do with the track. Monza is as wide as a football field, very little elevation change, and plenty of run-off. What else can you do?
Remove all sandtraps and replace them with small airfield sized paved run-offs. Call now 555-TILKE-5289.

-

Last edited by deggis; 27 Apr 2008 at 22:14.
Old 27 Apr 2008, 22:20 (Ref:2188672)   #374
minimangler
Veteran

Wales
Leftfield, somewhere.
minimangler should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by deggis
Remove all sandtraps and replace them with small airfield sized paved run-offs. Call now 555-TILKE-5289.

-
swiftly followed by 555-ruin a damn good sport-666
Old 27 Apr 2008, 23:15 (Ref:2188705)   #375
deggis
Veteran

Finland
deggis is going for a new world record!deggis is going for a new world record!deggis is going for a new world record!deggis is going for a new world record!deggis is going for a new world record!deggis is going for a new world record!deggis is going for a new world record!
Ralf Jüttner, technical director of Audi Sport: "We are obviously not happy about the contact between Pedro and Mike. We do not find it very beautiful but we also know that this is a race that it can happen and we see no grounds are to bear complaint with the race director. We do not make a big deal."

translation from endurance-info.com