Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Australasian Touring Cars. > New Zealand Motor Racing

Notices

Old 15 Oct 2014, 22:49 (Ref:3465463)   #351
BlueBlood
Veteran

New Zealand
Auckland NZ
BlueBlood should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by NZSTfan View Post
I dont know DJ at all, although i met him for about 5 minutes at a track day at Puke a few months back. Is he really that shonky this bloke? I have read quite bad things about him, but as mentioned i don't know him.

Nah, he is just misunderstood.
You should join the team as a major sponsor.
Just think of the exposure with DJ and Bairdo!
Old 15 Oct 2014, 23:40 (Ref:3465468)   #352
NZSTfan
Veteran

New Zealand
car heaven
NZSTfan should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueBlood View Post
Thanks for the advice BB
Not sure i would want to sponsor a TL to be fair, and my budget is allocated elsewhere. Funny thing though, was when i did meet DJ for the 5 mins mentioned above, i did mention to him that i was a low-end sponsor in a handful of categories (ST, Utes, 2kCup(naming rights sponsor for that one!!)).....his eyes lit up as if i had just turned into a mince n cheese that he is so-called quite fond of

When i read his FB page, there certainly seems to be support for him and what he does, so its hard to ascertain the real DJ. Guess we shall see when the NZV8TC series kicks off, which I believe is not too far away
Old 16 Oct 2014, 08:11 (Ref:3465532)   #353
CDM
Racer

CDM should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Guess we shall see when the NZV8TC series kicks off, which I believe is not too far away
First weekend in November isn't it?? A guy down the road has one in his panel shop & think that was the date.

Haven't heard much excitement from the NZV8 guys except from the Bairdo announcement which according to the bible of 10/10th may or may not happen.

But I did see a video on facebook today of Nick Ross's Altima being fired up

Last edited by CDM; 16 Oct 2014 at 08:14. Reason: spelling
Old 16 Oct 2014, 23:04 (Ref:3465760)   #354
GT 86
Racer

GT 86 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueBlood View Post
I hope you are taking the Pi#*
Old 17 Oct 2014, 02:36 (Ref:3465796)   #355
Goat Boy
Veteran

New Zealand
Auckland
Goat Boy has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Quote:
Originally Posted by GT 86 View Post
I hope you are taking the Pi#*
I think a urine sample was definitely the intention there
Old 17 Oct 2014, 06:23 (Ref:3465828)   #356
pukekoheracer
Racer

pukekoheracer should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Any idea of entries yet?
Old 23 Oct 2014, 16:24 (Ref:3467665)   #357
pukekoheracer
Racer

I see NZV8 Has finally put out something about the season 2014/15. Does not really tell you a great deal...unless there isnt a great deal to tell.

http://www.nzracechamps.org.nz/defau...11&newsid=1036

Only seems to mention 2 TLX cars... Is that because there is only 2 entered?

And the TL Grid is all based on Bairdo hopefully turning up!

No Mention of 2nd TKR Driver, or to many other drivers for that fact.

And the other thing is the People Running the series still think they are with V8SC at Puke April 2015.
Old 23 Oct 2014, 17:12 (Ref:3467676)   #358
chevyfire53
Rookie

chevyfire53 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by pukekoheracer View Post
I see NZV8 Has finally put out something about the season 2014/15. Does not really tell you a great deal...unless there isnt a great deal to tell.

http://www.nzracechamps.org.nz/defau...11&newsid=1036

Only seems to mention 2 TLX cars... Is that because there is only 2 entered?

And the TL Grid is all based on Bairdo hopefully turning up!

No Mention of 2nd TKR Driver, or to many other drivers for that fact.

And the other thing is the People Running the series still think they are with V8SC at Puke April 2015.

I think you can be sure that there are more than 2 TLX and I would be expecting 5 maybe 6.

TL's certainly are going to have a competitive field with some great racing but there is only so much you can fit into a press release before you just list names and lose the impact of the press release.
Old 23 Oct 2014, 18:11 (Ref:3467690)   #359
Icarus_nz
Racer

New Zealand
Paradise
Icarus_nz should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridIcarus_nz should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
What is this exciting new NZV8 420-400WR power plant?
Old 24 Oct 2014, 01:20 (Ref:3467782)   #360
The Realist
Racer

The Realist should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by chevyfire53 View Post
I think you can be sure that there are more than 2 TLX and I would be expecting 5 maybe 6.

TL's certainly are going to have a competitive field with some great racing but there is only so much you can fit into a press release before you just list names and lose the impact of the press release.
Unfortunately I fail to see how up to 6 cars can put on a show that people will want to pay to see. TV of the grid will have to be at no more than 20 degrees from right angles, and even then will show the to total grid.
We ask ourselves why spectator numbers and interest are right down, well here is some of the answer. Call it a parade or a procession, but don't call it a race. After 3 years of propaganda and hype, all we get is "up to 6 cars" for what was going to be New Zealand's Premier tin top racing. I call it a fail. Sorry if I offend, but facts are facts, and this type of grid is doing NZ Motorsport a dis-service.
The TL's will have their championship, but it will also be an insult to them if you race the TLX in the same race.
Put TLX with the GT's and GT2 will have 6 more competitors. This way at least some credibility will be restored.
Old 24 Oct 2014, 03:17 (Ref:3467803)   #361
Mark Petch
Veteran

Mark Petch should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Realist View Post
Unfortunately I fail to see how up to 6 cars can put on a show that people will want to pay to see. TV of the grid will have to be at no more than 20 degrees from right angles, and even then will show the to total grid.
We ask ourselves why spectator numbers and interest are right down, well here is some of the answer. Call it a parade or a procession, but don't call it a race. After 3 years of propaganda and hype, all we get is "up to 6 cars" for what was going to be New Zealand's Premier tin top racing. I call it a fail. Sorry if I offend, but facts are facts, and this type of grid is doing NZ Motorsport a dis-service.
The TL's will have their championship, but it will also be an insult to them if you race the TLX in the same race.
Put TLX with the GT's and GT2 will have 6 more competitors. This way at least some credibility will be restored.
Unfortunately for NZ motor racing, the TLX picture is not even as bright as its painted by Chevyfire, its not physically possible that there will be 6 TLX's on the grid at Hampton Downs, as Shaun Varney's is racing my ex SVG, V8ST, with Andrew Waite, at Hampton and I know for a fact that there is no engine in the Varney TLX car at the present time and no plans to have it running ready for sale until after Hampton Down's.

If the Ross's run their old Holden TLX for some new entrant plus their own new Nissan, and both Toyota's run that would be 4 TLX cars. Add the ex Tulloch Holden TLX car from Hamilton and its possible that there could be 5 TLX cars at Hampton Downs.

I do agree with you that the TLX should run with the likes of the GT1 cars and help build the grids of that category which is also struggling, instead of racing against much slower TL cars and in the process disincentify possible new entrants in the official NZV8 National Championship class.

Its a GD mess and it lies squarely at the feet of MSNZ.
Old 24 Oct 2014, 03:22 (Ref:3467805)   #362
promax
Veteran

New Zealand
New Zealand
promax has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Quote:
why with GTRNZ and not with ST?
Old 24 Oct 2014, 03:23 (Ref:3467807)   #363
pukekoheracer
Racer

[QUOTE=chevyfire53;3467676]I think you can be sure that there are more than 2 TLX and I would be expecting 5 maybe 6.

I guess we will have the answer in the next 7 Days. Lets Hope its more than 2 but 5/6 must be pushing it in my book.
Old 24 Oct 2014, 04:09 (Ref:3467811)   #364
NZSTfan
Veteran

New Zealand
car heaven
Quote:
Originally Posted by promax View Post
One reason comes to mind.....ST's are a far better car and are faster and much, much safer. I asked Foggy sometime ago about the idea of running the TLX's with the ST's and he seemed quite nervous at the thought. His comments where along the lines of " what happens when we go to lap one of them, and they don't give us racing room?" Fair comment in my view from a seasoned racer. This could lead to unnecessary accidents, and I would HATE to see what the result of a 40G head-on impact would do to the frail front end of the TLX. And no point in referring to the TLX crash at T1 at Manfield...that Camry basically rode over the top of the tyre barrier (still a nasty accident, please don't get me wrong).

Andrew Waite had a 40G head-on impact at the ITM500 in his ST. He survived with no injuries, the car did not. Exactly what the result of good sensible engineering delivers, and we have that in the Pace engineered chassis, which is very robust, and virtually the same as the Aussie NewGen car.

The TLX, although a kiwi design, and with engines from the respective manufacturers does not compare in anyway to a ST, so they should not run together. Put them with other space frame cars such as the GT's etc.

I do appreciate the efforts put in to the TLX project however. There are some bloody good people involved (as is often the case with most classes of the sport), but their design/concept is not fit for purpose when the ST's are, quite rightly, the best tin-top category in NZ.

Someone said to me a while ago, "why not de-tune the ST's to be on par with the TLX and then bung them together?" which is a stupid idea because why should ST have to dilute their formula to suit a handful of people committed to TLX. If that was to happen, then I don't see any benefit to Aussie SC drivers coming here, or Kiwi drivers wanting that stepping stone into V8SC. It is simple really, we have a car that is very close to the Supercar, but at a fraction of the cost. Yes it had well documented teething problems, which have been addressed. Yes the fields have fallen depressingly low, however the standard of the teams/drivers/cars and racing is as good as anywhere in my view.

I agree with realist on this one, I fear that TLX is the biggest problem in Vee-Eight touring car racing in this country right now. From the outset it should have been canned. The TL's should have been grouped together as a DVS type category, and then we would all have something to smile about.

As it stands right now, more and more people just don't give a hoot about this type of racing in NZ, and to be fair, who blames them?

But NZST have a lot to answer for as well - they are far from a perfect organisation. We hear of rule changes that some teams hear about while others don't. We hear of possible cheating (although I think that can be put to bed now, hopefully), and the grid size has diminished considerably since its inception. That should not happen to a class that so many racers/engineers etc rave on about. Just spend 5 minutes talking to the likes of Paul Morris, who, love him or hate him, knows what he is on about. Same goes for Greg Murphy, SVG, Scott McLaughlin (although I doubt we will see him in the ST's again - last I heard his ST was destined for Australia to be re-bodied as an S60 hotlap/promo car!).

As soon as this stupid division goes, then the sport can pick itself up. But I do worry about the fact that by the time that happens, no one will give an act of flying fornication about V8 touring car racing, as the rest of the world would have moved on to smaller cars with smaller, eco-friendly engines....
Old 24 Oct 2014, 04:12 (Ref:3467812)   #365
The Realist
Racer

The Realist should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
The NZV8's have comparable lap times as GTRNZ GT2 without spending any more money, and would enhance their grid.
ST and GT1 are significantly faster and have bigger engines. NZV8's would have to spend a lot of money to attain GT1 and ST times. As the saying goes, "there ain't no substitute for cubic inches". All the V8's sound good, and these NZV8's could be quite a drawcard for the GT2 grid.
This would help with big grids if GTRNZ were then to attend Tier 1 meetings nationwide.
Old 24 Oct 2014, 04:43 (Ref:3467815)   #366
NZSTfan
Veteran

New Zealand
car heaven
^^ agree totally here.

BTW, the saying is 'there is no replacement for displacement' But I get your drift TR
Old 24 Oct 2014, 07:35 (Ref:3467855)   #367
promax
Veteran

New Zealand
New Zealand
Quote:
And no point in referring to the TLX crash at T1 at Manfield...that Camry basically rode over the top of the tyre barrier (still a nasty accident, please don't get me wrong).
I'm pretty sure I know what happened.. since it happened right in front of me were you there?
Old 24 Oct 2014, 07:52 (Ref:3467858)   #368
promax
Veteran

New Zealand
New Zealand
Quote:
The NZV8's have comparable lap times as GTRNZ GT2 without spending any more money, and would enhance their grid.
ST and GT1 are significantly faster and have bigger engines. NZV8's would have to spend a lot of money to attain GT1 and ST times. As the saying goes, "there ain't no substitute for cubic inches". All the V8's sound good, and these NZV8's could be quite a drawcard for the GT2 grid.
This would help with big grids if GTRNZ were then to attend Tier 1 meetings nationwide.
you do know the GT1 cars race with the GT2 cars.. right? it's not uncommon for different classes of cars.. to race together.. on the same track.. at the same time. no one said anything about TLX teams "enhancing" their cars. the only thing holding back a combined V8 field is over inflated egos. some people still think their way is the only way. these small V8 grids are boring.. which is why the paying public choose to stay away. that's a fact. with the death of the falcon and possible death of the commodore.. will any of these relevant V8 classes be relevant in the very near future? probably not
Old 24 Oct 2014, 07:53 (Ref:3467859)   #369
NZSTfan
Veteran

New Zealand
car heaven
Nope....don't really care about watching that class. So I dont see the need to pay good money to fly down from Auckland, grab a rental, and pay for accom etc. You been to a ST Meeting yet to judge for yourself?
But I did see the step by step photos that captured the crash that I think wrote off the front end didn't it?
No surprise you where there, methinks as some sort of track official or marshal, especially seeing as it happened in front of you ( your words not mine)
But thats not the point promax...the point is could a TLX survive a heavy front on impact similar to Waites ST and provide significant protection to the driver? You tell me seeing as your in the know with these cars. And while your at it, explain to me why you think the TLX can share the same grid as the STs on our shortish tracks and not pose a hazard to top end drivers blasting the TLX in terms of lap time?
Its time to stop flogging the dead horse which is waaay past rigor mortis and is decomposing with a huge stench
Old 24 Oct 2014, 07:59 (Ref:3467860)   #370
promax
Veteran

New Zealand
New Zealand
wow the no.1 st fan preaching about st in a non st thread lol it's been what.. 2-3 years of this? talking about flogging a dead horse lol
Old 24 Oct 2014, 08:00 (Ref:3467861)   #371
promax
Veteran

New Zealand
New Zealand
back on topic...

Old 24 Oct 2014, 08:05 (Ref:3467863)   #372
pukekoheracer
Racer

[QUOTE=Mark Petch;3467803]Unfortunately for NZ motor racing, the TLX picture is not even as bright as its painted by Chevyfire, its not physically possible that there will be 6 TLX's on the grid at Hampton Downs, as Shaun Varney's is racing my ex SVG, V8ST, with Andrew Waite, at Hampton and I know for a fact that there is no engine in the Varney TLX car at the present time and no plans to have it running ready for sale until after Hampton Down's.

If the Ross's run their old Holden TLX for some new entrant plus their own new Nissan, and both Toyota's run that would be 4 TLX cars. Add the ex Tulloch Holden TLX car from Hamilton and its possible that there could be 5 TLX cars at Hampton Downs.

I do agree with you that the TLX should run with the likes of the GT1 cars and help build the grids of that category which is also struggling, instead of racing against much slower TL cars and in the process disincentify possible new entrants in the official NZV8 National Championship class.

Quote:

I go back to my point from early today. They only mentioned Two Cars in the Press Release, because that's more than likely what will turn up.

My Bet will be TLX won't survive into the South Island Rounds in January!
Old 24 Oct 2014, 08:08 (Ref:3467866)   #373
pukekoheracer
Racer

Quote:
back on topic...

Any Lap Times to Report?
Old 24 Oct 2014, 08:13 (Ref:3467867)   #374
promax
Veteran

New Zealand
New Zealand
[QUOTE=pukekoheracer;3467863]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Petch View Post
Unfortunately for NZ motor racing, the TLX picture is not even as bright as its painted by Chevyfire, its not physically possible that there will be 6 TLX's on the grid at Hampton Downs, as Shaun Varney's is racing my ex SVG, V8ST, with Andrew Waite, at Hampton and I know for a fact that there is no engine in the Varney TLX car at the present time and no plans to have it running ready for sale until after Hampton Down's.

Quote:

I go back to my point from early today. They only mentioned Two Cars in the Press Release, because that's more than likely what will turn up.

My Bet will be TLX won't survive into the South Island Rounds in January!
didn't you also claim the last NZV8 wouldn't happen either?
Old 24 Oct 2014, 08:15 (Ref:3467868)   #375
promax
Veteran

New Zealand
New Zealand
Quote:
Originally Posted by pukekoheracer View Post
Any Lap Times to Report?
nope