Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Barn Finds > ChampCar World Series

Old 21 Jun 2006, 05:27 (Ref:1638180)   #351
mountainstar
Veteran

United States
mountainstar should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridmountainstar should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridmountainstar should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
At what pace a merger moves at in the near future I believe will be dictated by the movements of the participants not the series owners.
Old 21 Jun 2006, 07:33 (Ref:1638211)   #352
climb
Veteran

St Pierre and Miquelon
closer than you thought!
climb should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridclimb should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Agreed (including among participants also engine manufacturers)
Old 21 Jun 2006, 16:14 (Ref:1638498)   #353
Amar7605
Veteran

United States
Elk Grove, CA
Amar7605 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I agree as well. There are a lot of elements that have to align correctly for a merger to be possible. It's not impossible, though. As long as all parties want a merger to happen, then things can happen.
Old 22 Jun 2006, 00:37 (Ref:1638744)   #354
Fogelhund
Veteran

Canada
Binbrook, ON Canada
Fogelhund has a real shot at the championship!Fogelhund has a real shot at the championship!Fogelhund has a real shot at the championship!Fogelhund has a real shot at the championship!Fogelhund has a real shot at the championship!
Interesting read

http://www.speedtv.com/commentary/27120/
Old 22 Jun 2006, 02:22 (Ref:1638768)   #355
The Snout
Veteran

Australia
The Snout should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fish_Flake
And with the dubious history the IRL has with engine formulas (four in a decade), no wonder manufacturers aren't crowding at its door.
You sure it's only been four ? Just seems like more than that.
Old 22 Jun 2006, 03:11 (Ref:1638777)   #356
mountainstar
Veteran

United States
mountainstar should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridmountainstar should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridmountainstar should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fogelhund
Steve Horne: another reasonable person with good ideas. One of many reasonable people. But no matter what, tony george will stand in the way as he has for everyone who has come before.

It can't be good when the irl's engine supplier spends more time at champcar races than irl races.

It's rumored the irl will be doing time buys on espn for next year due to poor ratings. Can't be good.
Old 22 Jun 2006, 04:48 (Ref:1638794)   #357
Fish_Flake
Veteran

Georgia
The Foothills of North Georgia
Fish_Flake should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridFish_Flake should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridFish_Flake should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Well, if the IRL is looking at a time buy deal with ABC/ESPN for every race but the 500, and Champ Car may be working with the newly NASCAR-free NBC Sports crew for expanded network coverage, I wouldn't blame Honda for testing the waters (again).
Old 22 Jun 2006, 12:47 (Ref:1639081)   #358
Tim Northcutt
Veteran

United States
Indianapolis
Tim Northcutt should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTim Northcutt should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTim Northcutt should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTim Northcutt should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by mountainstar
It's rumored the irl will be doing time buys on espn for next year due to poor ratings. Can't be good.

To be honest, I haven't seen ratings for any of the IRL or Champ Car races this year...I've been too busy....

I haven't even seen ratings for the Indy 500.

If any of you are aware of how the TV ratings worked out for Both Series, please share them...

Maybe in threads in the respective forums?

I'll start them

I wasn't aware of any clauses in the ABC/ESPN contract that would allow them to do that...but the contract does run through 2009.

One American Open Wheel Series!
Old 25 Jun 2006, 14:19 (Ref:1640853)   #359
Tim Northcutt
Veteran

United States
Indianapolis
Tim Northcutt should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTim Northcutt should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTim Northcutt should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTim Northcutt should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
This story was on the Front Page of the Indianapolis Star this morning

http://www.indystar.com/apps/pbcs.dl...18/1004/SPORTS

Sharing ownership sounds like a big hurdle has been cleared...How to do that would be another matter.

I'm assuming that the April weekends would be St. Pete & Long Beach...but maybe Motegi, since Honda is trying to bring this all together.

I still don't see this happening until 2008 at the soonest, but at least it is something.

Old 25 Jun 2006, 14:29 (Ref:1640857)   #360
Knowlesy
20KPINAL

Knowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
That is certainly the most interesting development yet.
Old 26 Jun 2006, 02:48 (Ref:1641264)   #361
Snrub
Veteran

Canada
London, Ontario, Canada
Snrub should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridSnrub should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
That's an awsome peice of news.

The article says that the IRL teams couldn't afford to switch over to the 2007 Panoz chasis, but odds are that Honda and Ford would be dolling out money to the higher up teams. Likely the lower teams from both series would be victim of a merge because they wouldn't be given the same "help" they are now.
Old 26 Jun 2006, 05:44 (Ref:1641300)   #362
Dutton
Veteran

United Nations
Not Much North of Montana
Dutton has a real shot at the podium!Dutton has a real shot at the podium!Dutton has a real shot at the podium!Dutton has a real shot at the podium!
Yep, it is grand to see. It is one step of many.

We better just hope a functioning structure is found, otherwise it could end up messy.
Old 27 Jun 2006, 15:35 (Ref:1642682)   #363
indycool
Veteran

indycool should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridindycool should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
http://www.wishtv.com/Global/story.a...82966&nav=0Ra7
Old 27 Jun 2006, 16:03 (Ref:1642708)   #364
Snrub
Veteran

Canada
London, Ontario, Canada
Snrub should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridSnrub should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
^ Well that sucks. My question is why? How tough can it be?
Old 27 Jun 2006, 17:13 (Ref:1642754)   #365
courageous
Veteran

United Kingdom
Chatham, Kent
courageous should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridcourageous should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Bottom line is both sides want a merger, but on their terms only & we have to hope the players with brains can convince the morons that are running motorsport (into the ground) to give their egos the night off.
Old 27 Jun 2006, 22:54 (Ref:1643041)   #366
The Snout
Veteran

Australia
The Snout should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
said George. "We're still getting to know one another"

If they 'get to know' each other any longer, the only thing holding up a merger will be congress legalising same sex marriages.
Old 28 Jun 2006, 05:01 (Ref:1643116)   #367
Flatspot
Veteran

United States
Salt Lake City
Flatspot should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
LMAO Snout
Old 28 Jun 2006, 13:17 (Ref:1643418)   #368
RaceFreak
Racer

RaceFreak should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Consider the motorsports imperative: when a team principal sez "no problems..." it means "problems" ! Or perhaps "We're very happy with our driver".... you know what THAT means...

My guess Tony's comment runs along the same lines. He's really telling the media to leave them alone, without tipping the hand as to how close they reallly are. I do tend to agree that 2008 would be a better full-merge year given the chassis switchover timing. A partially integrated 2007 would create bigger (longer) buzz when the CCWS and IRL cars compete head-to-head at selected events. Additionally it would ease the strain on sponsors, tracks and other sundry money matter$. Either way this is gonna be fun to watch !
Old 28 Jun 2006, 16:55 (Ref:1643565)   #369
Amar7605
Veteran

United States
Elk Grove, CA
Amar7605 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
A 2007 merger is very optimistic. Think about the rounds of negotiations that have to happen between now and whenever a merged series takes place. KK and TG will have to negotiate with tracks, for example, to see if they want to move their dates if the tracks want. Then there are the sponsors. What roles are they going to play in a new series?

I don't think engine and chassis are big problems, though. Champ Car has a new chassis ready, and it can set the stage for a brand new series. How about this: if a merged series happens in 2008, then take the new Champ Car chassis and delay it's debut until 2008. That way all CC and IRL teams have them in 08, and the new series has a new car to identify with.
Old 28 Jun 2006, 18:29 (Ref:1643632)   #370
norman-normal
Veteran

norman-normal should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Hey Snout, thats a good one and it about sums up the probability, unfortunately.
Old 28 Jun 2006, 20:25 (Ref:1643706)   #371
indycool
Veteran

indycool should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridindycool should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Amar, that DP-01 chassis is NOT ready, has not been "on the ground" to test yet and there are some who are skeptical of its oval capabilities because it was commissioned by CC. which appears to be getting out of the oval business. I really can't get excited about it being any cog in the wheel of a merger, any more than MG/Judd engines were the CART deal a few years ago.
Old 28 Jun 2006, 20:30 (Ref:1643710)   #372
Tim Northcutt
Veteran

United States
Indianapolis
A good source has told me that the DP-01 would need aero work and a nose revision to run ovals in that chassis.

Old 28 Jun 2006, 20:59 (Ref:1643736)   #373
D70s
Rookie

Canada
Vancouver
D70s should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
If the debut is delayed until 2008 there is plenty of time to make the car better suited to oval racing.
Old 28 Jun 2006, 21:19 (Ref:1643749)   #374
indycool
Veteran

It has little chance of happening in '07, IMO......and I've never understood the love affair some seem to have with the DP-01 when all we've seen of one is an artist's rendering, none of the "underneaths" and very few details other than PR blather.
Old 28 Jun 2006, 22:55 (Ref:1643807)   #375
mountainstar
Veteran

United States
Quote:
Originally Posted by indycool
It has little chance of happening in '07, IMO......and I've never understood the love affair some seem to have with the DP-01 when all we've seen of one is an artist's rendering, none of the "underneaths" and very few details other than PR blather.
Guess you haven't been paying attention. Pictures were long ago released of the 1/2 scale wind tunnel model.

The DP01 is due to be shown to the public at San Jose as long ago scheduled.

If the DP01 needs revisions for oval racing I doubt that would be a problem.

The love affair with the DP01 is because it's designed to be cost effective and easy to work on. Much like the new swift atlantic.