Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: trackrooms.co.uk Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Racing Talk > Trackside

Old 21 May 2012, 06:55 (Ref:3077106)   #351
terence
Veteran

Germany
Nordschleife
terence should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridterence should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eddy V View Post
Nothing to do with the track, but anyone planning to go to the place in the very near future should take the following into account.
There are major motorway roadworks going on between Liège and the Francorchamps junction. Up to 8 of them in total, depending which way you are travelling.
Coming back from the place towards Verviers and Liège the motorway is even completely shut between junctions 10 (Francorchamps) and 8, all traffic is diverted onto the local B road.
Add to this the other work going on between Brussels and Gent, you may need to add some extra travelling time.

A bit annoying Eddy,why do they choose this time of year? LoL.
Drive straight through to Spa town and pick up the E42 from there.
Old 23 May 2012, 19:14 (Ref:3078446)   #352
Eddy V
Veteran

Belgium
Belgium & UK
Eddy V should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridEddy V should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Terry, it is a bit surprising already that they WORK anyhow in Walloon country.

Still, the trek through Spa doesn't avoid the other motorway work.
By car, maybe best go Stavelot, Trois Ponts and towards the E25, on peak times only obviously.
Old 24 May 2012, 13:10 (Ref:3078820)   #353
GORDON STREETER
Veteran

Spain
Kent+Mojacar Spain, but not always ?
GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!
Quote:
For all it's faults I must admit that the Spanish road workers get the job done in no time at all, they seem to be able to build a roundabout in a few days and any burst water mains are repaired in a few hours.
They don't seem to have any "jobsworths" like the UK where three blokes stand around a hole in the road watching while one does the work
I suppose health n safety hasn't reached this far south YET !
Balls of steel (knob of butter) They're Asking For Larkins. ( Proper beer) not you're Eurofizz crap. Hace más calor en España. Me han conocido a hablar un montón cojones! Send any cheques and cash to PO box 1 Lagos Nigeria Africa !
Old 24 May 2012, 19:42 (Ref:3078920)   #354
terence
Veteran

Germany
Nordschleife
terence should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridterence should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:

Still, the trek through Spa doesn't avoid the other motorway work.
By car, maybe best go Stavelot, Trois Ponts and towards the E25, on peak times only obviously.

Used that route last week Eddy,some numpty had tried to get a truck under the Trois Pont railway bridge but didn't quite get the central bit right
Old 25 May 2012, 05:45 (Ref:3079078)   #355
bella
Race Official
Veteran

France
bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by GORDON STREETER View Post
For all it's faults I must admit that the Spanish road workers get the job done in no time at all, they seem to be able to build a roundabout in a few days and any burst water mains are repaired in a few hours.
genuinely surprised at that, but then i've only been going to spain more than once a year for 3 years whilst they've been trying to function on a realistic budget instead of a fantasy one. i don't think i've ever counted more than 6 blokes working on the motorway widening from barcelona to france, and the other road i use being built on ran out of money so there's now just holes in the hills and random concrete foundations.

eddy, i'm supposed to be going to spa next weekend, is the diversion a massive pain or just a mere inconvenience? the former is worth avoiding, the latter isn't worth the energy changing the autopilot
Old 25 May 2012, 07:06 (Ref:3079093)   #356
GORDON STREETER
Veteran

Spain
GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!
Bella, I suppose that I shouldn't generalize but can only speak for my area.
Although it's pretty obvious that the country is in dire straights certain things (repairs) seem to be done instantly, probably to attract more tourist.
The only new build thing that is happening is a new railway near us that is going on as if nothing has happened, but I believe is EEC money !
Mind you at the moment I am enjoying the weather in the UK for a while (as long as it lasts)
Balls of steel (knob of butter) They're Asking For Larkins. ( Proper beer) not you're Eurofizz crap. Hace más calor en España. Me han conocido a hablar un montón cojones! Send any cheques and cash to PO box 1 Lagos Nigeria Africa !
Old 27 May 2012, 16:46 (Ref:3079979)   #357
nobster
Veteran

Netherlands
Eindhoven, de gekste!!!!
nobster has a real shot at the podium!nobster has a real shot at the podium!nobster has a real shot at the podium!nobster has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by tatounet View Post
All small cottages distribution of drinks chips,waffles and snacks were destroyed...

" l'arbre qui tue" also

money money ...
Went this weekend to the Spa Classic and still no food or drinks cottages around the track. Only place to buy something was inside the paddock. Vera bad with these temperatures that there is nowhere to but a drink!
Old 28 May 2012, 20:01 (Ref:3080773)   #358
Eddy V
Veteran

Belgium
Belgium & UK
Eddy V should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridEddy V should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by nobster View Post
Went this weekend to the Spa Classic and still no food or drinks cottages around the track. Only place to buy something was inside the paddock. Vera bad with these temperatures that there is nowhere to but a drink!
So what has changed? It has never been there, or hardly.
Spa always gets away with everything because it is a "wonderful place". So they clame.
But put this place in any other country and it would get the worst reviews you could think off. No facilities, no proper spectator areas where you're not supposed to act as a mountain goat.
They'd shut the place down in the UK in the name of health and safety.
Old 29 May 2012, 15:56 (Ref:3081227)   #359
bella
Race Official
Veteran

France
bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!
eddy that's basically why i won't go to spa whilst there's a gp on. the magic of the place will not help when you're dying for the ladies because there's no decent toilets when f1 lock down the paddock. or when you want to buy a drink or a hot snack.

it's fine when you're allowed in the paddock but why you'd want to pay hundreds and hundreds of euros for the pleasure of using a portaloo and bringing your own food i don't know.
Old 21 Jul 2012, 16:56 (Ref:3109492)   #360
Eddy V
Veteran

Belgium
Belgium & UK
Traffic update:
between Liège and Verviers junction all roadworks are gone, so those heading to Spa for the 24H should have no problems.
Only 3 minor worksites left between Verviers junction and Spa. Mind the speedcamera in the first roadworks, only 50 kph!
Old 21 Jul 2012, 17:28 (Ref:3109497)   #361
terence
Veteran

Germany
Nordschleife
And there's me thinking it would never get done! Well done Eddy,I shall use the E42 tommorow,better than that horrible drag around past Zolder!
Old 23 Jul 2012, 12:42 (Ref:3110300)   #362
Tim the Grey
Veteran

Wales
Across the M40 from Gaydon...
Tim the Grey has a real shot at the championship!Tim the Grey has a real shot at the championship!Tim the Grey has a real shot at the championship!Tim the Grey has a real shot at the championship!Tim the Grey has a real shot at the championship!
Many thanks for the update, Eddie, especially the speed camera warning. I'd offer to buy you a beer on track, but....
Old 29 Jul 2012, 06:17 (Ref:3113037)   #363
terence
Veteran

Germany
Nordschleife
Speed camera???? must slow down next time to have a look for it. Do wish they would resurface the concrete sections to the same quality as elsewhere on the 42,ultra low profile Dunlops sound more like a plane taking off! Pity the Belgians dont keep up with German standards of road maintenance though.
Old 30 Jul 2012, 16:40 (Ref:3113833)   #364
GORDON STREETER
Veteran

Spain
Quote:
Originally Posted by terence bower View Post
Pity the Belgians dont keep up with German standards of road maintenance though.
Even the Spanish roads are brilliant, and look at the state of their economy (perhaps that's why ? )
Old 6 Jul 2013, 20:52 (Ref:3274682)   #365
tatounet
Racer

Belgium
tatounet should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Exit off fagne pif-paf corner ...
Old 7 Jul 2013, 19:39 (Ref:3275004)   #366
Eddy V
Veteran

Belgium
Belgium & UK
Mm, there isn't "mush" room left for the racing cars in that corner.

Looks daft and probably has a worse outcome when somebody hits them hard.
Thank goodness I hardly ever go there anymore. They are loosing the plot completely.
I've even heard that for the Fun Cup 25H, the warm-up lap is going to be run (at low speed) over the old track. Yes via Malmedy and Stavelot.
They need to take the Armco down at the Combe gate (the one that protects the gate) and it has to be put back before the cars reach the start.
Difficult task methinks.
Old 8 Jul 2013, 06:18 (Ref:3275227)   #367
terence
Veteran

Germany
Nordschleife
Hey Eddy,they are only trying to be 'different'.
Two full days last couple of weeks,keep looking for a tea mug being waved at Stavelot.
Old 8 Jul 2013, 06:19 (Ref:3275228)   #368
terence
Veteran

Germany
Nordschleife
Hey Eddy,they are only trying to be 'different'.
Two full days last couple of weeks,keep looking for a tea mug being waved at Stavelot.
The "mushroom farm" is quite a reminder that that area is not where your supposed to be.
Old 1 Aug 2013, 14:28 (Ref:3284688)   #369
P3ndula
Racer

Serbia
London
P3ndula should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Do any Belgians know of a coach service from Bruxelles to Spa for the 3 days as an alternative taking the train to Verviers. Appreciated.
Old 1 Aug 2013, 21:29 (Ref:3284797)   #370
Eddy V
Veteran

Belgium
Belgium & UK
Not a chance to find something like that. Unless you change busses every other town or so.
Old 2 Aug 2013, 12:17 (Ref:3284991)   #371
Tim Falce
Race Official
Veteran

England
Very edge of S E London almost in Kent
Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!
What's the situation with roadworks this year, anywhere between Calais and Spa?
Old 2 Aug 2013, 13:09 (Ref:3285002)   #372
White flag man
Veteran

Greenland
West Hampstead, North London
White flag man should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridWhite flag man should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim Falce View Post
What's the situation with roadworks this year, anywhere between Calais and Spa?
Lots of roadworks on the E42, placing concrete blocks along the central reservation. E40 pretty good, as long as you avoid the traffic on the dreaded Brussels ring road!
Old 2 Aug 2013, 13:53 (Ref:3285016)   #373
bella
Race Official
Veteran

France
have they finished the work on the bridge through verviers? i lost 90 minutes to roadworks on the e42 on the way back from the wsr there in june, though about half of that was caused by event traffic.

otherwise, iirc there was no roadworks on the brussels ring road or the run to calais/dunkerque 2 weeks ago.
Old 8 Aug 2013, 12:42 (Ref:3287304)   #374
Tim the Grey
Veteran

Wales
Across the M40 from Gaydon...
Tim the Grey has a real shot at the championship!Tim the Grey has a real shot at the championship!Tim the Grey has a real shot at the championship!Tim the Grey has a real shot at the championship!Tim the Grey has a real shot at the championship!
Some, but nothing of note when I came through 3 days back.
Some contraflow sections, but folk seemed happy to sit at 100kph...
Old 17 Aug 2013, 04:16 (Ref:3290879)   #375
terence
Veteran

Germany
Nordschleife
Probably been lucky with timing but E40/Brussels Ring is now my favorite route,as I said before,once the other very noisy surface [parallel to the rail track,can never remember the name of the place] has been resurfaced,it will be a pleasure to use it once in a while.