Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Australasian Touring Cars.

Old 29 Jul 2011, 21:30 (Ref:2933018)   #3801
brown dog
Racer

brown dog should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridbrown dog should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by David Towe View Post
Hi brown dog, can you check the video and look for the position of the bonnet pins. On my first car(the ex Sax, ex Sharpe/Spurle Castrol car) the pins are about 35 mm from the edge but shell no 17 had them about 50 mm from the edge. The difference is quite noticeable when you look for it.
HI David,

my eyecrometer is pretty good, but I cannot tell a positioning difference of 15mm by looking at a video! Any other "clues" I can look for?

Conrad
Old 31 Jul 2011, 09:08 (Ref:2933797)   #3802
David Towe
Veteran

England
Glenmore Park NSW
David Towe should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by brown dog View Post
HI David,

my eyecrometer is pretty good, but I cannot tell a positioning difference of 15mm by looking at a video! Any other "clues" I can look for?

Conrad
Have another look, it is quite obvious. Other things to look for are,
Crowe car Motorsport shell #17:- Identifying features:- Rear harness mount on rear shelf which is a reinforced panel with holes in it, bonnet pins in from the edge, mirrors on a frame, no external fuel fillers (filled by lifting the boot lid), air jacks behind rear wheels
Richards #3 Pole on world debut at Calder Rd1 finished 5th, Symonds Plains Rd2 2nd place, Amaroo Amscar Rd4 (2nd August) Crowe #44 qualified 11th,

Check your PMs too.
Cheers
David
Old 1 Aug 2011, 00:43 (Ref:2934258)   #3803
JC Ohope
Racer

New Zealand
Wellington
JC Ohope should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridJC Ohope should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I'm not sure that this is the right place, but I'm sure a fair few people here will enjoy this week's V8Xtra which focuses on a whole range of 'older' cars (eg. Tru Blue falcon etc.):

V8Xtra 30 July 2011 - Bowdens Car Collection
Old 1 Aug 2011, 03:52 (Ref:2934285)   #3804
brown dog
Racer

brown dog should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridbrown dog should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by JC Ohope View Post
I'm not sure that this is the right place, but I'm sure a fair few people here will enjoy this week's V8Xtra which focuses on a whole range of 'older' cars (eg. Tru Blue falcon etc.):

V8Xtra 30 July 2011 - Bowdens Car Collection
thanks for posting - quite an awesome collection!
Old 1 Aug 2011, 06:07 (Ref:2934304)   #3805
E36ST
Racer

New Zealand
NZ
E36ST should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
What jaw droppingly beautiful cars. Those were the days. Bring 'em back I say

Last edited by E36ST; 1 Aug 2011 at 06:26.
Old 4 Aug 2011, 23:40 (Ref:2936000)   #3806
DAVID PATERSON
Veteran

Australia
Brisbane, Qld, Australia
DAVID PATERSON should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridDAVID PATERSON should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridDAVID PATERSON should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Entries have closed for the Lakeside 50th Anniversary Touring Car Festival on August 13 & 14. 9 Group C Touring Cars, 13 Group A Touring cars and a lone Super Tourer.
Old 8 Aug 2011, 03:43 (Ref:2937034)   #3807
DAVID PATERSON
Veteran

Australia
Brisbane, Qld, Australia
DAVID PATERSON should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridDAVID PATERSON should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridDAVID PATERSON should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by DAVID PATERSON View Post
Entries have closed for the Lakeside 50th Anniversary Touring Car Festival on August 13 & 14. 9 Group C Touring Cars, 13 Group A Touring cars and a lone Super Tourer.
Entries include Gricey's A9X Torana, Bob Morris's XD Falcon, a Bo Seton Capri, the '92 Bathurst & Sandown winning GT-Rs, Skaife's HR31, a Peter Jackson Sierra, Bondy's '92 Bathurst Caltex Sierra, and 4 Commodores, including a HRT VL Walkinshaw.

This weekend folks, at Lakeside!
Old 8 Aug 2011, 04:34 (Ref:2937037)   #3808
mtpanorama
Veteran

Australia
Bathurst (best racetrack in the world)
mtpanorama should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by DAVID PATERSON View Post
Entries include Gricey's A9X Torana, Bob Morris's XD Falcon, a Bo Seton Capri, the '92 Bathurst & Sandown winning GT-Rs, Skaife's HR31, a Peter Jackson Sierra, Bondy's '92 Bathurst Caltex Sierra, and 4 Commodores, including a HRT VL Walkinshaw.

This weekend folks, at Lakeside!
And a Corolla Sprinter

I can please only one person per day. Today is not your day. Tomorrow isn't looking good, either
Old 8 Aug 2011, 22:05 (Ref:2937429)   #3809
David Towe
Veteran

England
Glenmore Park NSW
David Towe should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I think it will be interesting to see how the Toyota Carina of Malcolm Rea goes against the larger engined small cars too.
Old 9 Aug 2011, 05:40 (Ref:2937511)   #3810
mtpanorama
Veteran

Australia
Quote:
Originally Posted by David Towe View Post
I think it will be interesting to see how the Toyota Carina of Malcolm Rea goes against the larger engined small cars too.
Is it actually going to run? I guess he has had about 15 odd years to prep it but he still probably wont make it

I can please only one person per day. Today is not your day. Tomorrow isn't looking good, either
Old 9 Aug 2011, 21:42 (Ref:2937825)   #3811
Juarez Jed
Veteran

Juarez Jed should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridJuarez Jed should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Those tyres must be turning twenty one this year as well, time for a party
Old 23 Aug 2011, 10:49 (Ref:2944627)   #3812
BoMidge
Rookie

BoMidge should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Camaroz View Post
The Awadallah ex Group C Commodore Sports Sedan was the ex Rusty French (#16) Roadways car (SEGA car from Bathurst 1984). This car was subsequently crashed heavily at Amaroo by Awadallah who then purchased the Peter Breilly(spelling?) self built and little used VH Commodore Group C and used that shell to rebuild the car as a Sports Sedan. This car is now with WVW in Benalla. The original damaged car (Roadways #16) is in good care still in Sydney. The 100 MPH car was always with the Harrington family before WVW purchased it some years ago.
Just prior to start of the 88 season,Reda Awadallah ran the Commodore in Group C-spec,but painted in Blue Haven Pools colours.In early 88,one Saturday morning,the team-chief[Cameron ???,from Tasmania],two amature mechanics[a young kid from unzud and a middle-aged accountant]and myself were sitting around the tiny,dingy,workshop in the back streets of Yennora,across the road from the Blue Haven Pools head office.We were having a discussion on what to do with the ex-French car.Do we leave it in Group C-spec,or convert it to a sports sedan?? Unfortunately,the decission was made,in consultation with Reda,to hack the car to bits.I ripped the whole dashboard out,kicked out all the glass[which revealed the John Sands paintwork under the window rubbers]and was given a selection of holesaws,a drill,and instructed by Cameron to "swiss cheese it".All the inner wheel wells,inside/around all four doors and a few other areas,where destroyed by me and the holesaws.Cameron gas axed the whole floor panel out of the car and welded in a rediculous 19mm square section frame,covered with alloy sheet,that also supported the transmission.He also gas-axed the rear parcel tray/rear firewall panelling and replaced it with aluminium sheeting.He gas-axed the rear wheel arches to fit some riduculously oversized rims and tyres.He also mig welded some extra alloy bars to the roll cage.And a lot of other crap that's not worth mentioning.
Basically,a good car was butchered.I didn't hang around long after this nonsense,but was at Amaroo,for some other reason,and saw the car driven there and remember it being all over the road.An accident waiting to happen.I didn't realise it did happen until I saw the picture here.
I still have all the pictures of this mechanical butchery,including a few with the John Sands paintwork under the window rubbers.I was going to send some pics into AMC magazine after they ran the story on Bob Morris and how he put the car in the top ten shootout.But it seems the history has already been revealed in this forum.

Last edited by BoMidge; 23 Aug 2011 at 11:17. Reason: Moment of Clarity
Old 23 Aug 2011, 12:15 (Ref:2944652)   #3813
BoMidge
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by lloyd12a View Post
Oops, Shiel not Shield
Yeah. You are thinking of that other bloody driver...Maxi Shield.

Boy,is your face red.....
Old 24 Aug 2011, 06:01 (Ref:2944936)   #3814
racer69
Veteran

Australia
Sydney, Australia
racer69 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridracer69 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Whatever happened to the Sierra Ken Douglas was supposed to run in the 1987 ATCC??

Old 26 Aug 2011, 15:12 (Ref:2946402)   #3815
BoMidge
Rookie

Quote:
The Awadallah ex Group C Commodore Sports Sedan was the ex Rusty French (#16) Roadways car (SEGA car from Bathurst 1984). The original damaged car (Roadways #16) is in good care still in Sydney. The 100 MPH car was always with the Harrington family before WVW purchased it some years ago.
...So I guess the important thing,regarding the ex-Rusty French car,is that if the shell is "in good care still in Sydney",they will know it's the correct,original shell,if it has all the gas-axed panel work and swiss cheese holes all over it.Honestly,that shell would be junk.I would say that shell is history.Maybe they grafted the compliance tag and chassis panel onto somthing else and passed it off as the real deal.
Old 29 Aug 2011, 01:18 (Ref:2947414)   #3816
Scrut
Racer

Australia
Australia
Scrut should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by racer69 View Post
Whatever happened to the Sierra Ken Douglas was supposed to run in the 1987 ATCC??

I recall the car being at Sandown for a press day. Being a preproduction test car the trimmings where a little rough, looking like the had been through a parts bin looking for matching fittings. As this was the first Sierra into Australia, some of the larger car magazines where there for a story and road test.

At the time the proposed sponsorship fell through and the car,spare shell and parts where sold off to person in Asia (I cannot recall which country) and prepared for track use.
Old 30 Aug 2011, 08:20 (Ref:2948157)   #3817
mtpanorama
Veteran

Australia
Longhurst Sierra for sale

http://my105.com/listingdetails.aspx?id=5528&latest=1

Old 30 Aug 2011, 08:20 (Ref:2948158)   #3818
mtpanorama
Veteran

Australia
Longhurst Sierra for sale

http://my105.com/listingdetails.aspx?id=5528&latest=1

Old 1 Sep 2011, 11:03 (Ref:2949332)   #3819
david5
Racer

Australia
Coonabarabran NSW
david5 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
So is this the original Freeport car ? Was used as the spare for Bathurst 88 ?
Old 1 Sep 2011, 11:24 (Ref:2949349)   #3820
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
GTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by david5 View Post
So is this the original Freeport car ? Was used as the spare for Bathurst 88 ?
The original Freeport liveried Sierra morphed into B&H colours for the enduros in 1988... the chassis is sitting in the Bathurst Motor Museum, where it has been for some years, a gift from WD & HO Wills to that Museum.

The Bathurst 88 LHD car was built locally... a spare.. before the Wolf cars arrived.

The locally built Longhurst Sierras used to have their air jack point in the centre of the front grille, the Wolf ones were offset to the side, like the one in the ad..
Old 1 Sep 2011, 11:51 (Ref:2949376)   #3821
racer69
Veteran

Australia
Sydney, Australia
racer69 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridracer69 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Those Wolf cars were a great story

Ian Paxton had them imported (one of them was the car Robbie Francevic raced at Winton wasn't it?), but due to their 'irregularities' they stayed locked away in Sydney all year.

Time and again Peter Brock throughout '88 was linked to a Bathurst entry in this car, and Paxton actually did enter the car for Warwick Rooklyn and ....Mike Quinn(?)

Did i read right that when the Bathurst winner was sold to Ken Matthews for 1989, it arrived with the illegal Wolf bits installed?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scrut View Post
I recall the car being at Sandown for a press day. Being a preproduction test car the trimmings where a little rough, looking like the had been through a parts bin looking for matching fittings. As this was the first Sierra into Australia, some of the larger car magazines where there for a story and road test.

At the time the proposed sponsorship fell through and the car,spare shell and parts where sold off to person in Asia (I cannot recall which country) and prepared for track use.
Great info, many thanks for that
Old 13 Sep 2011, 08:37 (Ref:2954865)   #3822
Camaroz
Veteran

Camaroz should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by BoMidge View Post
...So I guess the important thing,regarding the ex-Rusty French car,is that if the shell is "in good care still in Sydney",they will know it's the correct,original shell,if it has all the gas-axed panel work and swiss cheese holes all over it.Honestly,that shell would be junk.I would say that shell is history.Maybe they grafted the compliance tag and chassis panel onto somthing else and passed it off as the real deal.
Hi BoMidge, when I say "good care" I didn't mean good condition. I haven't seen the car but came across the owner (that I have no reason to doubt) when researching another car that was purporting to be the ex ReCar/Rusty #16.
Old 13 Sep 2011, 09:12 (Ref:2954883)   #3823
BoMidge
Rookie

Quote:
Hi BoMidge, when I say "good care" I didn't mean good condition. I haven't seen the car but came across the owner (that I have no reason to doubt) when researching another car that was purporting to be the ex ReCar/Rusty #16.
Hi Camaroz.
I was thinking of putting a couple of pictures of the gas-axed car,but to be honest I wouldn't know how to do it.They are old school film pictures.Is there an easy way to do it? I don't have scanners,or printers or any other new technology,sorry.But I think the local library has that stuff.Any help appreciated as I have a lot of other pictures that somone might be interested in.Full tub-up rebuild of the ex-goss Matich,frame up build of the Listech BF86 formula fords,mondials,engines on the Seton,Hennen and Froud dyno etc. Just random bits of history.Facinating to some,boring to others,I guess.
Anyhow,and help on transfering these to digital technology would be appreciated.

Thanks.

Last edited by BoMidge; 13 Sep 2011 at 09:16. Reason: spelling
Old 15 Sep 2011, 21:54 (Ref:2956121)   #3824
Redzone
Racer

Australia
Queensland, Australia
Redzone should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Hi Bomidge, you could take the photos to a Camera house or similar and for a small fee they will high quality scan your pics and put them on a disc for you, you'd then need to load them into your computer and upload them onto photobucket or image shack, then you can copy and paste the link into a post on here
Old 4 Oct 2011, 10:43 (Ref:2965463)   #3825
gt4v
Rookie

gt4v should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Group A Commodore Freedoms.

Does anyone have any information about the freedoms given to the VL Commodores during 1991 and 1992 ATCC.
Specifically regarding the rear guards and body width.
Any CAMS bulletins or paperwork ect would be much appreciated.
During this period many cars ran with the wider 11inch wheels with 12inch tyres as per the new rules for 1990.