Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Sportscar & GT Racing > North American Racing

Old 18 Mar 2014, 08:26 (Ref:3381380)   #3876
Spyderman
Veteran

Mozambique
Mozambique
Spyderman should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSpyderman should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSpyderman should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSpyderman should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
I'm still confused by how this was not detected after the hours and hours the engine ran on the test-beds. (if this is indeed the case)
Old 18 Mar 2014, 08:28 (Ref:3381381)   #3877
NelisB
Veteran

Netherlands
Deventer
NelisB should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spyderman View Post
I'm still confused by how this was not detected after the hours and hours the engine ran on the test-beds. (if this is indeed the case)
Well look at the problems Renault are having with their engine in F1. That's supposed to be running on a test-bed for a couple of years now and it's not that good to put it mildly.
Old 18 Mar 2014, 08:30 (Ref:3381383)   #3878
Spyderman
Veteran

Mozambique
Mozambique
Spyderman should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSpyderman should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSpyderman should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSpyderman should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
yes...but at least the Renault engine is not vibrating the car to pieces and allowing the drivers to see and breathe.
Old 18 Mar 2014, 08:35 (Ref:3381387)   #3879
NelisB
Veteran

Netherlands
Deventer
Quote:
yes...but at least the Renault engine is not vibrating the car to pieces and allowing the drivers to see and breathe.
That's a good point .
Old 18 Mar 2014, 08:37 (Ref:3381388)   #3880
Spyderman
Veteran

Mozambique
Mozambique
I now fully understand why Mark Webber keeps saying "ah look...we need more time" whenever he is asked how things are going with testing.
Perhaps he should be saying "ah look....we need a new engine".
Old 18 Mar 2014, 10:04 (Ref:3381416)   #3881
PascaLM
Race Official
Veteran

France
Near Blois, France
PascaLM will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FamePascaLM will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FamePascaLM will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FamePascaLM will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FamePascaLM will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FamePascaLM will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FamePascaLM will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FamePascaLM will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FamePascaLM will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FamePascaLM will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FamePascaLM will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
I think they had measured all axial and radial vibrations of the engine on the test bed, covering the range of speeds.
But it's probably difficult to simulate and detect what could be their real effects on the chassis.
Only a big resonance issue can affect pilots in this way.
Old 18 Mar 2014, 11:17 (Ref:3381430)   #3882
Spyderman
Veteran

Mozambique
Mozambique
OK thanks!

I suppose now we just wait and see what turns up at the "Prologue".
Old 18 Mar 2014, 11:29 (Ref:3381432)   #3883
PascaLM
Race Official
Veteran

France
Near Blois, France
PascaLM will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FamePascaLM will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FamePascaLM will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FamePascaLM will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FamePascaLM will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FamePascaLM will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FamePascaLM will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FamePascaLM will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FamePascaLM will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FamePascaLM will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FamePascaLM will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
OK thanks!

I suppose now we just wait and see what turns up at the "Prologue".
Yes, we have to wait and see.
We will know that there is no more vibrations issue if the pilots don't look blurred on pictures as they jumped out of their cars.
Old 18 Mar 2014, 11:45 (Ref:3381434)   #3884
Spyderman
Veteran

Mozambique
Mozambique
...and if they are not green and suffering from The DT's (Delirium Tremens)
Old 18 Mar 2014, 12:53 (Ref:3381451)   #3885
vincegail
Veteran

Netherlands
Antwerp, Belgium
vincegail has a real shot at the podium!vincegail has a real shot at the podium!vincegail has a real shot at the podium!vincegail has a real shot at the podium!vincegail has a real shot at the podium!
nothing to see here....
Old 18 Mar 2014, 16:00 (Ref:3381517)   #3886
The Badger
Veteran

The Badger has a real shot at the podium!The Badger has a real shot at the podium!The Badger has a real shot at the podium!The Badger has a real shot at the podium!
They want to get back in shape . Hire Norbert Singer and give him a free hand ..... end of .
Old 18 Mar 2014, 17:52 (Ref:3381552)   #3887
NelisB
Veteran

Netherlands
Deventer
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Badger View Post
They want to get back in shape . Hire Norbert Singer and give him a free hand ..... end of .
Would love to see that happen. But isn't he a bit retired?
Old 18 Mar 2014, 18:10 (Ref:3381555)   #3888
Victor_RO
Veteran

Romania
Cluj-Napoca, Romania
Victor_RO is going for a new world record!Victor_RO is going for a new world record!Victor_RO is going for a new world record!Victor_RO is going for a new world record!Victor_RO is going for a new world record!Victor_RO is going for a new world record!Victor_RO is going for a new world record!Victor_RO is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by NelisB View Post
Would love to see that happen. But isn't he a bit retired?
Either retired or working for the ACO at the moment.
Old 18 Mar 2014, 18:17 (Ref:3381557)   #3889
The Badger
Veteran

The Badger has a real shot at the podium!The Badger has a real shot at the podium!The Badger has a real shot at the podium!The Badger has a real shot at the podium!
If I was Porsche Id have a heli and a red carpet outside his home in the morning .
Old 18 Mar 2014, 18:42 (Ref:3381571)   #3890
The Badger
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by PascaLM View Post
Their programme and preparation should be as strong as their media campaign.
Im not sure I like the way Porsche are blowing their trumpets .....
Old 18 Mar 2014, 18:52 (Ref:3381578)   #3891
Spyderman
Veteran

Mozambique
Mozambique
I think they are being quite realistic (Porsche Motorsport). They know this is a development year. Its the marketing guys that are trying to cash in...and that's nothing new.
Old 18 Mar 2014, 18:59 (Ref:3381585)   #3892
Dimension
Rookie

European Union
on the mind of a woman near you
Dimension should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
according to sport-auto (german), both audi and porsche have apparantly said that being in the 6mJ class might be a better place to be than the full 8mJ.

Despite the fact that the regulations encourage teams to go into the big 8mJ class, apparently its not really possible to recover that much energy anywhere except on Le Mans with its long and hard braking zones. Meaning that you might actually only benefit in Le Mans, and 6mJ will be more competitive everywhere else.

From the way the article reads, Audi seems to be on the fence about whether or not to downgrade. Toyota apparently will not downgrade because they want to use the hybrid to maxmimum effect for marketing reasons. It didn't say what Porsche thinks about this, but maybe this could be one of the reasons why their car is being redesigned, they my be planning on switching class.
Old 18 Mar 2014, 20:52 (Ref:3381624)   #3893
Simmi
Veteran

United Kingdom
Simmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
With all due respect what have Porsche actually said that you specifically don't like?

Or are you (and others on this thread) criticising them for having the audacity to promote awareness of something they are spending millions on?

Without "the marketing guys" these factories don't go racing.
Old 18 Mar 2014, 20:56 (Ref:3381625)   #3894
Gingers4Justice
Veteran

United Kingdom
Highbury, London
Gingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by Simmi View Post
With all due respect what have Porsche actually said that you specifically don't like?

Or are you (and others on this thread) criticising them for having the audacity to promote awareness of something they are spending millions on?

Without "the marketing guys" these factories don't go racing.
I'm also a bit baffled by these complaints. While there would be a lot of style in simply turning up and letting the racing do the talking, I'm not sure that's realistic, or if it's ever been done that way by a manufacturer...

All publicity is good publicity for the WEC.
Old 18 Mar 2014, 21:03 (Ref:3381627)   #3895
NelisB
Veteran

Netherlands
Deventer
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gingers4Justice View Post
I'm also a bit baffled by these complaints. While there would be a lot of style in simply turning up and letting the racing do the talking, I'm not sure that's realistic, or if it's ever been done that way by a manufacturer...

All publicity is good publicity for the WEC.
Agreed, I'm still wondering sometimes why Toyota don't show the public more of their hybrid racing program.
Old 18 Mar 2014, 21:39 (Ref:3381652)   #3896
GTfour
Veteran

Netherlands
Holland
GTfour has a real shot at the podium!GTfour has a real shot at the podium!GTfour has a real shot at the podium!GTfour has a real shot at the podium!GTfour has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by NelisB View Post
Agreed, I'm still wondering sometimes why Toyota don't show the public more of their hybrid racing program.
I guess they're more of the 'letting the racing do the talking' type.
Old 18 Mar 2014, 21:44 (Ref:3381654)   #3897
CyberMotor
Veteran

United States
CyberMotor has a real shot at the podium!CyberMotor has a real shot at the podium!CyberMotor has a real shot at the podium!CyberMotor has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
I've really enjoyed all the buildup, the secrecy accompanied by all the video teasers. It has been fun and really gets the interest up. Can't wait to see it run for real.

As one with experience in both the engineering and sales/marketing worlds, I can see why the engineers are feeling the pressure. I worked in the early days of Personal Computers and our sales guys were out there selling all kinds of crazy promises and expecting us engineering types to deliver. Whenever we asked where the sales guys were getting their ideas, they would pull out a marketing brochure, point and say, "Right here. It's in the brochure!" Just because marketing was saying it and sales were selling it didn't mean it would work as promoted. Therefore, I can understand the engineering guys getting a bit nervous.

The Porsche marketing has been terrific. The engineering, technology and design of the 919 sounds intriguing. But, a V-4??? That choice has always puzzled me. It must vibrate like a chain saw! But, Porsche has had success with a flat 4 so figured they knew what they were doing. Balance, resonance and harmonics always play a big part in all of this.

Can't wait to hear the full story and see the car in action.
Old 18 Mar 2014, 21:55 (Ref:3381663)   #3898
Simmi
Veteran

United Kingdom
Simmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Looks like the marketing guys are the ones holding up their end of the bargain.
Old 18 Mar 2014, 22:22 (Ref:3381672)   #3899
Brake dust
Racer

United States
Brake dust should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Despite the fact that the regulations encourage teams to go into the big 8mJ class, apparently its not really possible to recover that much energy anywhere except on Le Mans with its long and hard braking zones. Meaning that you might actually only benefit in Le Mans, and 6mJ will be more competitive everywhere else
Bit surprised by this. Audi always built their car for Le Mans. Still think a Le Mans win trumps WEC.
Old 18 Mar 2014, 22:33 (Ref:3381682)   #3900
CyberMotor
Veteran

United States
CyberMotor has a real shot at the podium!CyberMotor has a real shot at the podium!CyberMotor has a real shot at the podium!CyberMotor has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brake dust View Post
Bit surprised by this. Audi always built their car for Le Mans. Still think a Le Mans win trumps WEC.
A Le Mans win followed by losses everywhere else is where WEC trumps Le Mans. Big decisions being made based upon new and untested technologies and rules.