Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Sportscar & GT Racing > ACO Regulated Series

Old 24 Feb 2012, 20:41 (Ref:3030577)   #3901
TF110
Veteran

United States
TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!
They've got their top drivers for this car, they'll do well I'm sure. Got my vote!
Old 24 Feb 2012, 22:44 (Ref:3030638)   #3902
tje23
Rookie

United Kingdom
Staffordshire, UK
tje23 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Badger View Post
I wouldnt go that far , we havent even seen it run yet .
I think it will be up there, perhaps about 3rd place overall. I believe it can easily beat the AM Corvette, but can it beat all the Ferraris and the Porsche? I doubt it. With some luck and tactics I think a narrow 2nd/3rd is realistic, but I doubt it'll be podium topping this year - 2013 prehaps, with a double GTE-Pro entry?
Old 24 Feb 2012, 23:26 (Ref:3030653)   #3903
The Badger
Veteran

The Badger has a real shot at the podium!The Badger has a real shot at the podium!The Badger has a real shot at the podium!The Badger has a real shot at the podium!
If it cant beat a Porsche , it shouldnt be there . The Porsche is at the end of its tether , modded up to the nuts , and not much more speed coming from it . Should still be up with a chance , if it holds together .

Corvette ..... one reliable mofo , dont bet against them . They won last year .

Going on last years results , I feel the F458 was a little dissapointing , but we are now a year on .
Old 25 Feb 2012, 08:39 (Ref:3030781)   #3904
MitchZ06
Veteran

New Zealand
Australia
MitchZ06 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid

Seems Aston has officially launched their WEC program, I'm just looking for a better source than AutoGuide....

Funnily enough those look to be the same style rims as the AMR-Ones....just of course a GTE rim rather than the proto rim.
Old 25 Feb 2012, 19:02 (Ref:3030975)   #3905
KlBD
Racer

KlBD should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by MitchZ06 View Post
Funnily enough those look to be the same style rims as the AMR-Ones....just of course a GTE rim rather than the proto rim.
Does anyone know which company makes these wheels for AMR?
Old 25 Feb 2012, 19:51 (Ref:3030999)   #3906
Dead-Eye
Veteran

Estonia
Dead-Eye should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridDead-Eye should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
http://www.tws-forged.com/ probably, their logo is on the car
Old 25 Feb 2012, 21:38 (Ref:3031066)   #3907
KlBD
Racer

KlBD should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dead-Eye View Post
http://www.tws-forged.com/ probably, their logo is on the car
Ah thanks for that! Didn't know they supported so many SGT teams as well!
Old 27 Feb 2012, 15:56 (Ref:3031970)   #3908
knighty
Veteran

England
Essex
knighty should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridknighty should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
by the sounds of things AMR are saying in the latest press release that they really screwed up by running flat plane crankshafts that caused havoc with engine reliability in GT2 in years gone past.......just like IES did on the LMP2 Nissan.........they have openly admitted they will be running cross-plane cranks and I'm sure this will be the turning point in the engine running reliably, as they run so much smoother........not to mention sounding like a proper V8 - music.
Old 27 Feb 2012, 16:04 (Ref:3031973)   #3909
Dead-Eye
Veteran

Estonia
Dead-Eye should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridDead-Eye should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by knighty View Post
by the sounds of things AMR are saying in the latest press release that they really screwed up by running flat plane crankshafts that caused havoc with engine reliability in GT2 in years gone past.......just like IES did on the LMP2 Nissan.........they have openly admitted they will be running cross-plane cranks and I'm sure this will be the turning point in the engine running reliably, as they run so much smoother........not to mention sounding like a proper V8 - music.
But wasn't the original Vantage GT2 engine that kept blowing up cross-plane as well? I thought they only switched to flat-plane last year and then quickly went back to an older version.
Old 27 Feb 2012, 16:18 (Ref:3031982)   #3910
knighty
Veteran

England
Essex
knighty should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridknighty should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
your correct, I just re-read the autosport article and had a listen to the 2006 drayson GT2 on youtube and it is indeed a cross plane crank........sounds like it was just a dog of an engine in the early days as I know they really lunched alot of engines........even for the road cars when AM take the base Jag V8 engines they perform a horrendous amount of re-work on them, like new heads and fitting new liners........which does not say much for the standard base engine from Jag :-(
Old 27 Feb 2012, 16:47 (Ref:3031988)   #3911
Victor_RO
Veteran

Romania
Cluj-Napoca, Romania
Victor_RO is going for a new world record!Victor_RO is going for a new world record!Victor_RO is going for a new world record!Victor_RO is going for a new world record!Victor_RO is going for a new world record!Victor_RO is going for a new world record!Victor_RO is going for a new world record!Victor_RO is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dead-Eye View Post
But wasn't the original Vantage GT2 engine that kept blowing up cross-plane as well? I thought they only switched to flat-plane last year and then quickly went back to an older version.
And even with that, both cars at Le Mans went back to the older spec of engine and one of them blew up within 50 laps of racing conditions.
Old 28 Feb 2012, 12:41 (Ref:3032393)   #3912
Tim the Grey
Veteran

Wales
Across the M40 from Gaydon...
Tim the Grey has a real shot at the championship!Tim the Grey has a real shot at the championship!Tim the Grey has a real shot at the championship!Tim the Grey has a real shot at the championship!Tim the Grey has a real shot at the championship!
Knighty, that MAY be historical internal Ford Politics...
Jag engines out of Bridgend, AM out of Cologne... It wouldn't surprise me.
Old 28 Feb 2012, 14:00 (Ref:3032423)   #3913
knighty
Veteran

England
Essex
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim the Grey View Post
Knighty, that MAY be historical internal Ford Politics...
Jag engines out of Bridgend, AM out of Cologne... It wouldn't surprise me.
yup, I think your correct........many years ago I remember Jag had a huge warranty issue with the V8 whereby the nikasil coated cylinder bores were delaminating on customer cars, and Jag had to replace alot of engines.........no wonder AM performed such a heavy re-work even for road cars........anyway a touch off topic now!.......I wonder if we will ever see it in the back of an LMP2???.......
Old 28 Feb 2012, 14:12 (Ref:3032432)   #3914
Deleted
Veteran

Deleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
So it is now confirmed that GTE Vantage will have the same exact ultra generous weight, air restrictor, gurney and fuel tank BoP breaks as last year. Plus with all of it's 2012 modifications and the fact that the car will be run by the factory team itself it's probably safe to say that for the first time ever this car can be a factor in GT2. Fair or not...
Old 28 Feb 2012, 14:30 (Ref:3032439)   #3915
Graham Goodwin
Veteran

United Kingdom
Epsom UK
Graham Goodwin is going for a new world record!Graham Goodwin is going for a new world record!Graham Goodwin is going for a new world record!Graham Goodwin is going for a new world record!Graham Goodwin is going for a new world record!Graham Goodwin is going for a new world record!Graham Goodwin is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chiana View Post
So it is now confirmed that GTE Vantage will have the same exact ultra generous weight, air restrictor, gurney and fuel tank BoP breaks as last year. Plus with all of it's 2012 modifications and the fact that the car will be run by the factory team itself it's probably safe to say that for the first time ever this car can be a factor in GT2. Fair or not...
The Vantage has been a factor in GT2 before - SIlverstone 2 years ago for instance with the JMW car.

A GT2/ GTE car getting waivers is hardly new! Ferrari, Corvette and BMW have all done well on that front in recent years for starters
Old 28 Feb 2012, 14:40 (Ref:3032445)   #3916
Deleted
Veteran

Deleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by Graham Goodwin View Post
The Vantage has been a factor in GT2 before - SIlverstone 2 years ago for instance with the JMW car.

A GT2/ GTE car getting waivers is hardly new! Ferrari, Corvette and BMW have all done well on that front in recent years for starters
Yes I remember some good showings like the one you mentioned and the early pace of Young Drivers at HTTT last year, but really, some random flashes of glory that happen once in a year don't count in my books

And I wasn't even talking about the hidden waivers but the "regular" BoP figures
Old 28 Feb 2012, 16:53 (Ref:3032519)   #3917
Tim the Grey
Veteran

Wales
Across the M40 from Gaydon...
Tim the Grey has a real shot at the championship!Tim the Grey has a real shot at the championship!Tim the Grey has a real shot at the championship!Tim the Grey has a real shot at the championship!Tim the Grey has a real shot at the championship!
Graham? No point talking sense. Chiana seems to think everyone gets a good deal except Corvette.
Despite lots of evidence to the contrary over the years!
Old 28 Feb 2012, 17:13 (Ref:3032528)   #3918
Deleted
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim the Grey View Post
Graham? No point talking sense. Chiana seems to think everyone gets a good deal except Corvette.
Despite lots of evidence to the contrary over the years!
This conversation has absolutely nothing to do with Corvette, but if you must know and as I already wrote on the other topic, I really don't like the current situation. I don't wanna see Corvette winning just because of the recent breaks they got. 0,4mm restrictor increase added to the already existing 0,9mm break (and other things they've received during the last 12 months) is totally unnecessary, they should be able to do it by themselves. The GT1 C6.R made it without such gifts

You must confuse this with my Callaway GT3 Corvette rants as that car been utterly raped in the *** by everyone, even you can't deny that...
Old 28 Feb 2012, 17:33 (Ref:3032537)   #3919
JayBMS
Racer

Italy
JayBMS should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
The GT1 car had wavers too. Maybe not restrictor breaks but they had them.
Old 28 Feb 2012, 17:37 (Ref:3032540)   #3920
Deleted
Veteran

I think the biggest mess with the GT1 car was in 2006 when Aston did ALMS and started to cry when they noticed that the Corvettes were actually quicker. IMSA made them carry extra ballast already during round two.

Everyone has waivers so honestly I'm really not too concerned about them.
Old 29 Feb 2012, 00:06 (Ref:3032735)   #3921
AGD
Veteran

AGD should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridAGD should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chiana View Post
I think the biggest mess with the GT1 car was in 2006 when Aston did ALMS and started to cry when they noticed that the Corvettes were actually quicker. IMSA made them carry extra ballast already during round two.
Ahh, such memories. That's the difference between Corvette and Aston getting favorable regs. Corvette will quietly take it. Even Fehan can shut his mouth about that. AMR, on the other hand, will continue to blame the "unfair" rules for their losses even if the rules cannot possibly be more tilted in their favor. If AMR builds and runs a competent effort this year, well, Richards might be right to say that Ferrari, Porsche, and others are running scared given the rule situation. I don't know if someone like Risi is running scared, but he seems to be running. Running away from this type of racing. I can't say I blame him. We'll have to see how the IMSA regs shake out.
Old 29 Feb 2012, 01:18 (Ref:3032768)   #3922
Speed-King
Veteran

Speed-King has a real shot at the podium!Speed-King has a real shot at the podium!Speed-King has a real shot at the podium!Speed-King has a real shot at the podium!
Wasn't part of that whole fracas in 2006 that Aston Martin ran on Pirellis for financial reasons and that put them at a disadvantage to the Michelin-shoed Corvettes from the get go?
Old 29 Feb 2012, 03:21 (Ref:3032799)   #3923
Fogelhund
Veteran

Canada
Binbrook, ON Canada
Fogelhund has a real shot at the championship!Fogelhund has a real shot at the championship!Fogelhund has a real shot at the championship!Fogelhund has a real shot at the championship!Fogelhund has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Speed-King View Post
Wasn't part of that whole fracas in 2006 that Aston Martin ran on Pirellis for financial reasons and that put them at a disadvantage to the Michelin-shoed Corvettes from the get go?
That was the main issue. The Astons certainly were every bit as good as the Vette's otherwise.
Old 29 Feb 2012, 04:42 (Ref:3032810)   #3924
Steptoe
Racer

England
10618 miles from Le Mans - NSW Australia
Steptoe should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridSteptoe should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
A bit off topic as its not GT racing as such but this is what Aston is up to down under at the moment ; http://www.rallysportmag.com.au/home...=6541&Itemid=2
Old 18 Mar 2012, 22:28 (Ref:3044243)   #3925
pederb
Veteran

European Union
Berlin
pederb has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
What happen to the Vantage in the last few laps of Sebring? The scoring said Off then Out?