Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Sportscar & GT Racing > North American Racing

Old 7 Apr 2016, 20:28 (Ref:3631037)   #376
TF110
Veteran

United States
TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!
Here's IMSA's 'answers' on what DPi is http://www.imsa.com/articles/qa-2017...al-dpi-concept
Old 7 Apr 2016, 20:40 (Ref:3631041)   #377
Deleted
Veteran

Deleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Teams fielding DPi cars and LM P2 cars will have the ability to use some approved aerodynamic add-ons, enabling them to tune their cars to each track. This will promote diversity in car setup and stimulate competition.

Sure, after the previously mentioned extensive wind tunnel + RPM dyno performance balancing have transformed such add-ons to mere symbolic aesthetics.

Nothing new in the article really. All is allegedly fab between IMSA-NASCAR-FIA-ACO too...
Old 7 Apr 2016, 20:44 (Ref:3631042)   #378
wdave0
Veteran

United States
NY
wdave0 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridwdave0 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chiana View Post
Teams fielding DPi cars and LM P2 cars will have the ability to use some approved aerodynamic add-ons, enabling them to tune their cars to each track. This will promote diversity in car setup and stimulate competition.

Sure, after the previously mentioned extensive wind tunnel + RPM dyno performance balancing have transformed such add-ons to mere symbolic aesthetics.

Nothing new in the article really. All is allegedly fab between IMSA-NASCAR-FIA-ACO too...
I think the operative term should be simulate competition rather than stimulate. Imsa will not stop trying to pre-determine the winners.
Old 7 Apr 2016, 20:52 (Ref:3631043)   #379
Deleted
Veteran

Deleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Yeah! You know, simulation is pretty much the word you could always use of GT racing, because they never mirror what the real life road car counterparts actually are capable of, even if the regulations were pure of heart like in the 'olden days' and the competition was unbiased. But in prototypes, to use word simulation (which I can agree with you)... something's gone wrong along the line.

Repeating myself again, but I rather even take full-on freezed specs and EVO package every couple of years, than some aero tweaking that is essentially pointless in formula where competitor-achieved performance gains are forbidden, not to mention yet another "reason" for organizers to tweak the cars round by round.
Old 7 Apr 2016, 20:55 (Ref:3631044)   #380
YZFrider
Racer

YZFrider should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridYZFrider should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
"Each engine also will undergo IMSA’s standard engine testing and verification. The target power level is 600 bhp and a comparable level of power and torque will be determined for each option."

Lord why? I ask again...if the top drivers are all relatively equal in skill, how is there suppose to be passing with motors of near identical power/torque curves. Pack racing I tell ya, "rubbin is racing! knock him out of the way"
Old 7 Apr 2016, 21:01 (Ref:3631045)   #381
wdave0
Veteran

United States
NY
wdave0 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridwdave0 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by YZFrider View Post
"Each engine also will undergo IMSA’s standard engine testing and verification. The target power level is 600 bhp and a comparable level of power and torque will be determined for each option."

Lord why? I ask again...if the top drivers are all relatively equal in skill, how is there suppose to be passing with motors of near identical power/torque curves. Pack racing I tell ya, "rubbin is racing! knock him out of the way"

Well... it is a 'murrican series.
Old 7 Apr 2016, 21:04 (Ref:3631047)   #382
Deleted
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by YZFrider View Post
if the top drivers are all relatively equal in skill, how is there suppose to be passing with motors of near identical power/torque curves
Especially if living God Scott Pruett moves away from the top class, leaving it to mere humans.
Old 7 Apr 2016, 21:06 (Ref:3631048)   #383
TF110
Veteran

United States
TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!
Not all American racing needs the tired cliches and "ol' Dee-dubya" saying boogity boogity boogity I hope IMSA realizes that Nascar isn't the go to example of how a sportscar series should play out.
Old 7 Apr 2016, 21:18 (Ref:3631054)   #384
Deleted
Veteran

Out of interest, and this totally out of point and line, but for anyone who watched the Bathurst 1000 coverage that one year when SPEED covered the event and send Darrel Waltrip and those other FOX stockcar guys to Australia: did they A) Boogity-boogity it B) Make it seem like Aussie NASCAR? I've only seen bits of that broadcast.
Old 7 Apr 2016, 22:07 (Ref:3631064)   #385
YZFrider
Racer

YZFrider should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridYZFrider should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by TF110 View Post
Not all American racing needs the tired cliches and "ol' Dee-dubya" saying boogity boogity boogity I hope IMSA realizes that Nascar isn't the go to example of how a sportscar series should play out.
Nor were they great for American Motorcycle road-racing History indeed is a great teacher
Old 7 Apr 2016, 22:51 (Ref:3631079)   #386
joeb
Race Official
Veteran

United States
Baton Rouge, LA
joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:

Honestly I think they were just talking about dive planes. Or maybe they will have an oval kit like Indy car.
Old 8 Apr 2016, 00:07 (Ref:3631084)   #387
Accident
Veteran

Accident should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridAccident should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridAccident should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Out of interest, and this totally out of point and line, but for anyone who watched the Bathurst 1000 coverage that one year when SPEED covered the event and send Darrel Waltrip and those other FOX stockcar guys to Australia: did they A) Boogity-boogity it B) Make it seem like Aussie NASCAR? I've only seen bits of that broadcast.
Yes, and it was awful. I watched the pre-race stuff where he mentioned several times how they were "jus laik arr cars but more aeradinnamics fer road courses."

DW also went for a ride with one of the V8SC drivers, can't remember which one, and it was embarrassing listening to him yell and act scared.

I was already approaching my limit, but when the green flag dropped and he did the ****ing "boogity boogity" nonsense I just turned it off and went to search for a stream. Was better watching a choppy 240p stream than listening to that horse's ass.

It was literally cringe-inducing.

When these guys come up with their lame trademark like "boogity" or Calvin's "ahjee bahjee" it's just embarrassing. I hate watching races with people who are new to it, because inevitably Calvin is going to say that and every time the person turns to me with this snort and asks "...what the **** is this guy on about?" and then I have to explain that he's just a dork and it's a stupid way of saying bumping that makes him feel like a special snowflake.
Old 8 Apr 2016, 00:50 (Ref:3631089)   #388
Matt
Veteran

United States
Connecticut
Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!
DW and Mike Joy were better than the Ch7 guys in one aspect.

If something happened outside the commentary box window, they made notice of it and mentioned it. It actually felt like they were watchign the race through the screens and the booth, rather than just the screens like the Australian broadcasters did.

Also, that wasn't an act, haha.

You're putting a champion driver in the passenger seat(well the drivers side of what he's used to), with no controls on it, on a wild racetrack and speeds that he's not used to.

That was genuine terror.

I've driven and been in RHD cars, and when you're used to driving LHD cars, sitting in the passenger seat of a RHD car is a very confusing and surreal place...as you expect everything to be right there, but it's not.
Old 8 Apr 2016, 01:02 (Ref:3631091)   #389
Bob Baldwin
Racer

United States
Shelbyville Ky
Bob Baldwin should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I have known Mike Joy for over 25 years , My daughter has worked for him in the Production booth for about 10 years . Most don't know that he is very very good Club racer SCCA . and a down to earth great guy .
Old 8 Apr 2016, 01:08 (Ref:3631092)   #390
carbsmith
Veteran

carbsmith is going for a new lap record!carbsmith is going for a new lap record!carbsmith is going for a new lap record!carbsmith is going for a new lap record!carbsmith is going for a new lap record!carbsmith is going for a new lap record!
Quote:
Meaning what?
As the last year of HPD wailing at the ACO, FIA, IndyCar, and anyone else who is dumb enough to listen has proven, not writing the rules to specifically favour Honda is unfair.
Old 8 Apr 2016, 01:21 (Ref:3631094)   #391
HORNDAWG
Veteran

United States
Oregon
HORNDAWG should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridHORNDAWG should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridHORNDAWG should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by joeb View Post
So those DPi's......

Yep.....

L.P.
Old 8 Apr 2016, 13:02 (Ref:3631198)   #392
wdave0
Veteran

United States
NY
Quote:
Originally Posted by TF110 View Post
Given the relationship between IMSA and NASCAR I fear that not only do they not know it isn't but really believe it is the way to go.
Old 8 Apr 2016, 14:22 (Ref:3631209)   #393
Ephaeton
Veteran

Austria
Between Österreichring and Nordschleife
Ephaeton should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridEphaeton should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridEphaeton should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridEphaeton should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
are there truthful artistic impressions / design sketches for the DPis out there somewhere? Do we know what, e.g., the assumed Cadillac DPi would look like?
(all I remember seeing is the racer's ? dsc? imsa? graphic of the "green" boxes on the chassis)
Old 8 Apr 2016, 16:02 (Ref:3631224)   #394
HORNDAWG
Veteran

United States
Oregon
HORNDAWG should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridHORNDAWG should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridHORNDAWG should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ephaeton View Post
are there truthful artistic impressions / design sketches for the DPis out there somewhere? Do we know what, e.g., the assumed Cadillac DPi would look like?
(all I remember seeing is the racer's ? dsc? imsa? graphic of the "green" boxes on the chassis)
Nothing from a real source as they are still under cover, but, Dan Hounsell has some pretty good ones out there ( http://mariantic.co.uk/lmp/DPICars.asp or on facebook if you prefer).

L.P.
Old 8 Apr 2016, 17:01 (Ref:3631241)   #395
joeb
Race Official
Veteran

United States
Baton Rouge, LA
joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by HORNDAWG View Post
Nothing from a real source as they are still under cover, but, Dan Hounsell has some pretty good ones out there ( http://mariantic.co.uk/lmp/DPICars.asp or on facebook if you prefer).
I love those sketches, and hope the real things turn out something like that.
Old 8 Apr 2016, 17:27 (Ref:3631251)   #396
Maelochs
Veteran

Maelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Given the stunning beauty of past generations of DPs, I have to imagine the first generation of DPis will be so amazing in appearance that most of us will want to claw our eyes out.

IMSA's new tagline: "Are those cars Supposed to look like that?"

And the unavoidable follow-up: "Those are cars, aren't they? They sort of look like cars .... "
Old 8 Apr 2016, 19:26 (Ref:3631282)   #397
RWill2073
Veteran

RWill2073 has a real shot at the championship!RWill2073 has a real shot at the championship!RWill2073 has a real shot at the championship!RWill2073 has a real shot at the championship!RWill2073 has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Accident View Post
Yes, and it was awful. I watched the pre-race stuff where he mentioned several times how they were "jus laik arr cars but more aeradinnamics fer road courses."

DW also went for a ride with one of the V8SC drivers, can't remember which one, and it was embarrassing listening to him yell and act scared.

I was already approaching my limit, but when the green flag dropped and he did the ****ing "boogity boogity" nonsense I just turned it off and went to search for a stream. Was better watching a choppy 240p stream than listening to that horse's ass.

It was literally cringe-inducing.

When these guys come up with their lame trademark like "boogity" or Calvin's "ahjee bahjee" it's just embarrassing. I hate watching races with people who are new to it, because inevitably Calvin is going to say that and every time the person turns to me with this snort and asks "...what the **** is this guy on about?" and then I have to explain that he's just a dork and it's a stupid way of saying bumping that makes him feel like a special snowflake.
To be fair, even the F1 announcers have their little phrases. Steve Matchett has to make sure to say "push like there's no tomorrow" every race.

Those sketches of DPi's are pretty cool. I could get on board with that.
Old 9 Apr 2016, 01:25 (Ref:3631337)   #398
HORNDAWG
Veteran

United States
Oregon
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maelochs View Post
Given the stunning beauty of past generations of DPs, I have to imagine the first generation of DPis will be so amazing in appearance that most of us will want to claw our eyes out.

IMSA's new tagline: "Are those cars Supposed to look like that?"

And the unavoidable follow-up: "Those are cars, aren't they? They sort of look like cars .... "
That's a load of stinky horse dung. As soon as GM/P&M got involved, the Gen3 Corvette DP, the car looked great. So that dog don't hunt! The DPis should look just fine since the OEMs are directly involved.

L.P.
Old 9 Apr 2016, 02:10 (Ref:3631348)   #399
TF110
Veteran

United States
I don't think any DP looked great. I don't even think the lmp's look great thanks to the fin and high roof height. The new Toyota and the 919 (plus the dome s103) fixed the roof height problem, but they still have that big fin that's an eyesore. Not to mention the fender holes. DP's are even worse, even the gen 3 and fake Vette.
Old 9 Apr 2016, 03:18 (Ref:3631372)   #400
Matt
Veteran

United States
Connecticut
Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!
Yeah, the Corvette DP looks incredible.