Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Sportscar & GT Racing > ACO Regulated Series

Old 15 Apr 2013, 17:37 (Ref:3234779)   #376
Gingers4Justice
Veteran

United Kingdom
Highbury, London
Gingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rodger Davies View Post
You need to remember that every change made to that track was with regards to the Grand Prix and keeping Bernie happy. And this is a world where there is no interaction with fans; there is just them and you/us. Hence the fact there are four empty VIP shuttles to every public bus, and vans adorned with the names of F1 champions porting the odd media soul from one area to another. Hence there is no logically placed bridge anywhere on the new part of the circuit that would lead into the paddock and, despite making the track longer, there are now fewer places to cross it on foot than ever before. Think about it; there is no footbridge any more, because who on earth would need to cross on foot to get to their infield hospitality suite?

Silverstone is dead. It lost its soul when it eschewed Abbey and Bridge and moved the pits; it became just another fence-lined Tilke-drome and might as well be in a desert in Asia. But for the weather. It's a set of painted lines through a vast tarmac wasteland and it sucks the life and investment out of the rest of the British motor racing scene. Heck, the Bahrain and Korean circuits have smaller run offs.

I walked several times on Saturday and Sunday from out- to in-field, and did several laps of the circuit on foot, but mainly trying to seek out anything scenic, anything left to remind me of the track that used to be there. Even their attempt at a 'fan-friendly' pitwalk was somewhat frustrating as every time you approached the far side of the pitlane there was an official on hand to tell you not to stand there or try and take a photo of that...
Completely agree. I don't blame them for building the circuit around the GP because that's where the money is and the justification for it being there - but my goodness is it soulless now. And because of all the open grandstands, anything less than 75% capacity and the place feels empty. If the same number of fans went to Brands Hatch, the place would feel packed.

Quote:
The other thing that struck me about the WEC is how few teams there actually are running still. 15 teams is all I make of that list, correct me if I'm wrong:

Joest
Oreca-Toyota
Strakka
Sebah-Rebellion
AF Corse
AMR/Prodrive
Manthey-Porsche
Felbermeyer
IMSA
Krohn
ADR
OAK
Kodewa-Lotus
Labre
Greaves
I think 15 is pretty impressive for a World Championship. That's more than WRC, or F1, or maybe even WTCC as well. There aren't even that many teams in IndyCars. Considering this is season 2 in a worldwide recession, it's a good base for growth. But far from being perfect.

Quote:
They've removed their main excuse for not running at a real circuit instead of Silverstone; the size of the interesting grid for the last few years. I agree that it won't happen, but I too would much prefer it to be there, despite the mammoth drive it would take to get there.......
I wonder if the Paddock at Brands is big enough for the WEC and support races? There's also many reasons why it wouldn't make sense for it to be there. Donington is the only other venue, realistically. The sight of the LMP1 cars sweeping their way through the craner curves would be something to behold...
Old 15 Apr 2013, 17:49 (Ref:3234784)   #377
Simmi
Veteran

United Kingdom
Simmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Have to agree with pretty much everything Rodger says. I was happy to be there and will continue to keep going but I found it to be soulless and frustrating.

A few shots from the grandstands including a sorry Strakka and some compressions at Becketts:

Old 15 Apr 2013, 18:29 (Ref:3234798)   #378
brands
Veteran

brands should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridbrands should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridbrands should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
A few shots from the event

Old 15 Apr 2013, 21:14 (Ref:3234883)   #379
airbusA346
Veteran

England
Staffordshire, UK
airbusA346 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridairbusA346 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rodger Davies View Post
Hence the fact there are four empty VIP shuttles to every public bus
Luckily there was a VIP bus still running last night or I would have had to walk back to my car.
Old 15 Apr 2013, 21:24 (Ref:3234890)   #380
Beetle
Veteran

United States
Texas
Beetle is going for a new lap record!Beetle is going for a new lap record!Beetle is going for a new lap record!Beetle is going for a new lap record!Beetle is going for a new lap record!Beetle is going for a new lap record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gingers4Justice View Post
Completely agree. I don't blame them for building the circuit around the GP because that's where the money is and the justification for it being there - but my goodness is it soulless now. And because of all the open grandstands, anything less than 75% capacity and the place feels empty. If the same number of fans went to Brands Hatch, the place would feel packed.
Hasn't Silverstone always felt a bit "soulless"? It was built on an airport and is, and always was, flat as a pancake unless I am ghastly mistaken. Never been a big fan of Silverstone, but the FIA and F1 has added a whole new level of "sterility" to the track.

Nice shots, BTW, Simmi and brands!
Old 15 Apr 2013, 21:28 (Ref:3234893)   #381
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
Lymington, New Forest, England
Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beetle View Post
Hasn't Silverstone always felt a bit "soulless"? It was built on an airport and is, and always was, flat as a pancake unless I am ghastly mistaken.
Frankly, I was thinking the same. My experience doesn't go back as far as some other's, but I first went there in '84. Aside from a GP atmosphere (which I accept is different), the atmosphere at the big sports car races I went to didn't seem very different to me.
Old 15 Apr 2013, 22:23 (Ref:3234922)   #382
deggis
Veteran

Finland
deggis is going for a new world record!deggis is going for a new world record!deggis is going for a new world record!deggis is going for a new world record!deggis is going for a new world record!deggis is going for a new world record!deggis is going for a new world record!
P1 press conference in 3 parts:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yW4u6fW-uM8
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P3q3wE6h4zY
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d_-mAhkKINE
Old 15 Apr 2013, 22:23 (Ref:3234923)   #383
isynge
Veteran

United Kingdom
London, UK
isynge is going for a new world record!isynge is going for a new world record!isynge is going for a new world record!isynge is going for a new world record!isynge is going for a new world record!isynge is going for a new world record!isynge is going for a new world record!isynge is going for a new world record!
I remember profound exasperation on the part of my mother when, in the mid 80s, she suggested a trip to Silverstone and I, seeing it as far inferior to the likes of the Osterreichring, denounced it as a "flat, featureless bit of the midlands".

That said, there were some bits I found pretty exhilarating, the bits around Becketts and Maggots work well, although a little less so since some of the run-offs have been moved etc. What I see as the fiddly new bits though village and the loss of Bridge do sit a bit oddly though.

A classic track? Probably not. A reasonable facility with some decent viewing? Yes, I think it is.

Soul? No, that's probably going a bit far.
Old 15 Apr 2013, 22:30 (Ref:3234926)   #384
Gingers4Justice
Veteran

United Kingdom
Highbury, London
Gingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beetle View Post
Hasn't Silverstone always felt a bit "soulless"? It was built on an airport and is, and always was, flat as a pancake unless I am ghastly mistaken. Never been a big fan of Silverstone, but the FIA and F1 has added a whole new level of "sterility" to the track.

Nice shots, BTW, Simmi and brands!
Yes, that's always been an issue - an issue which has got worse, was my point. I've been to some races, like the ALMS meeting in 2000, when it actually did feel pretty special (although I was 6 at the time, might not be a fair sample!).

It just doesn't suit anything other than F1 any more. Even Moto GP looks out of place at Silverstone.
Old 16 Apr 2013, 07:59 (Ref:3235106)   #385
Aurora
Rookie

Aurora should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I'm another one who's not a fan of the latest version of Silverstone, while I can acknowledge the vast amounts that have been spent on the pit complex and the improved run-off areas it still has many flaws.

First of all it's not a great circuit for spectating, as has already been said it needs a vast crowd to have any kind of atmosphere. Also it's not a great track for viewing, the flatness makes it difficult to see more that a corner or two. Finally for me it's lost it's unique selling point, speed. It always used to be the fastest track in UK, with some incredibly fast corners thrown into the mix. Now it just seems to be slow corner after slow corner with just the a couple of the old straights and corners left :-(
Old 16 Apr 2013, 08:50 (Ref:3235148)   #386
GT6
Veteran

England
MAIDSTONE, KENT, ENGLAND
GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!
I like many others here have never been a fan of Silverstone, it is to flat and suffers from constant fiddling which although it does mean that a F1 race can be held there it has lost so much, Brands and other circuits retain much of their old charm but are not really suitable for modern F1 races. The facilities, access and positioning of Silverstone are all modern and suitable to hold large events but the track needs to recapture or reinvent something that makes it a great track rather than the soul less version that exists today
Old 16 Apr 2013, 08:58 (Ref:3235152)   #387
TF110
Veteran

United States
TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!
Brands Hatch would be awesome for these cars. A proper high speed track, not sure on the accessibility safety or the seating but it's been one of my favorite tracks ever since I knew about it.
Old 16 Apr 2013, 09:17 (Ref:3235161)   #388
Gingers4Justice
Veteran

United Kingdom
Highbury, London
Quote:
Originally Posted by TF110 View Post
Brands Hatch would be awesome for these cars. A proper high speed track, not sure on the accessibility safety or the seating but it's been one of my favorite tracks ever since I knew about it.
There's only a few issues which hold Brands back. The first is the paddock, which I think would struggle to hold the WEC teams as well as support races. The other thing may be noise over a six hour race, as there is a housing estate right next to the circuit. Also, it's not that long, so you're pushing the limit with grid sizes.

None of these issues are insurmountable of course, but added together, it makes a WEC appearance there very unlikely. Donington is more likely.
Old 16 Apr 2013, 09:35 (Ref:3235174)   #389
wewantourdarbyback
Veteran

United Kingdom
Surrey
wewantourdarbyback should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridwewantourdarbyback should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I have no problem with the actual track, I like the high speed corners; Copse, the Maggots-Beccektts-Chapel complex, Stowe and the new Abbey. I even like the new look for spectating.

However the rest of it has lost something, and I agree with Roger, I said to Simmi on the day that the bending over backwards to F1 is the reason the fan is now barely even cared about.

I also imagine my view of the place has been tainted by two years at La Sarthe...

I do like the new grandstands at Club etc, being high up they allow photography without the catchfence in the way (my pix will follow later).

I imagine I have a different view of Silverstone, I practically grew up at the place, and the change in the last few years is hugely noticeable from my memories as a kid.

Gah, I'm 25 and motorsports has already driven me to 'things ain't what they used to be' posts.
Old 16 Apr 2013, 11:11 (Ref:3235236)   #390
Mike E
Veteran

Mike E will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike E will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike E will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike E will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike E will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike E will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike E will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike E will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike E will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike E will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by GT6 View Post
I like many others here have never been a fan of Silverstone, it is to flat and suffers from constant fiddling which although it does mean that a F1 race can be held there it has lost so much, Brands and other circuits retain much of their old charm but are not really suitable for modern F1 races. The facilities, access and positioning of Silverstone are all modern and suitable to hold large events but the track needs to recapture or reinvent something that makes it a great track rather than the soul less version that exists today
Be grateful it's not Kyalami. There was a great track completely destroyed by a redesign. I went to a couple of Grands Prix at the old track as a kid, as well as at least one 9 Hour, and then had the displeasure of the 1993 GP on the new circuit. Hard to belive they had anything in common.
Old 16 Apr 2013, 11:59 (Ref:3235256)   #391
Tim the Grey
Veteran

Wales
Across the M40 from Gaydon...
Tim the Grey has a real shot at the championship!Tim the Grey has a real shot at the championship!Tim the Grey has a real shot at the championship!Tim the Grey has a real shot at the championship!Tim the Grey has a real shot at the championship!
My 17 year old said much the same Mr Darby. Your "Youngest Old Codger" title didn't last long!
I don't argue with Marshals, but those on the entry to Wellington Straight, Sunday were VERY officious. NO, you can NOT take pictures here. It's a "Prohibited Area". No it isn't, or I couldn't BE there. Numpties. Stood next to just about the only 2 holes in that fence. Sheesh.
I found a couple of NEW fence free shots over the weekend, but there's little to reccomend the place these days. I cannot imagine how rubbish MotoGP must be, with tiny little bikes half a mile away?
Old 16 Apr 2013, 12:05 (Ref:3235259)   #392
bella
Race Official
Veteran

France
bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!
mike e, old and new paul ricard for me is the same as you and kyalami.

i also try not to think about the loss of bridge corner at silverstone too much. watching any qualifying session from there was a treat.
Old 16 Apr 2013, 12:07 (Ref:3235262)   #393
Spyderman
Veteran

Mozambique
Mozambique
Spyderman should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSpyderman should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSpyderman should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSpyderman should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike E View Post
Be grateful it's not Kyalami. There was a great track completely destroyed by a redesign. I went to a couple of Grands Prix at the old track as a kid, as well as at least one 9 Hour, and then had the displeasure of the 1993 GP on the new circuit. Hard to belive they had anything in common.
Completely agree! An example on how to destroy a fantastic track in three easy lessons. A real shame!
Old 16 Apr 2013, 14:53 (Ref:3235338)   #394
wewantourdarbyback
Veteran

United Kingdom
Surrey
wewantourdarbyback should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridwewantourdarbyback should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
It was weird being able to stand at Bridge corner and remember all the times I'd seen cars tear around there. And stand where the old grandstand was on the outside.

I don't mourn priory or the old Brooklands, but Bridge was a stunning corner.
Old 16 Apr 2013, 17:11 (Ref:3235389)   #395
TheNewBob
Veteran

England
Lincs, UK
TheNewBob should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridTheNewBob should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aurora View Post
Finally for me it's lost it's unique selling point, speed. It always used to be the fastest track in UK, with some incredibly fast corners thrown into the mix. Now it just seems to be slow corner after slow corner with just the a couple of the old straights and corners left :-(
Woodcote through to Stowe has been left pretty much untouched. Are you saying that entire half of the lap is slow?

The new Abbey corner and the run up to the village section is also very fast. I too lament the loss of Bridge corner but seriously, of all the bits they've changed only the couple of tight corners at village are anything other than extremely fast. I think its the flatness that gives it a bleak look despite the speed.

I think what has contributed to the feeling that the place has lost its atmosphere is, in addition to the lack of easy paddock access, the fact that there is no room to provide any entertainment behind the grandstands on the new start/finish straight.

On the old start/finish you had plenty of entertainment and merchandisers behind the stands and an easily accessible and spacious paddock behind the pits and it was all within easy reach. The rest of the track felt a little lonely but that section gave the place some atmosphere.

Now everything is very spaced out, giving it a more lonely feel everywhere. The best atmosphere there now besides F1 is the Silverstone Classic, but both the old and new start/finish straights seem to feel a bit lonely there too, all the entertainment is going on away from the track action.
Old 16 Apr 2013, 17:36 (Ref:3235408)   #396
Larsen
Racer

Denmark
Northants, UK
Larsen should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Hi guys, could someone confirm who the 3rd driver in the #7 Toyota is? Can only find Wurz and Lapierre in the entry list & results
Old 16 Apr 2013, 17:40 (Ref:3235410)   #397
deggis
Veteran

Finland
deggis is going for a new world record!deggis is going for a new world record!deggis is going for a new world record!deggis is going for a new world record!deggis is going for a new world record!deggis is going for a new world record!deggis is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Larsen View Post
Hi guys, could someone confirm who the 3rd driver in the #7 Toyota is? Can only find Wurz and Lapierre in the entry list & results
Nobody at Silverstone, normally Kazuki Nakajima.
Old 16 Apr 2013, 17:41 (Ref:3235411)   #398
Victor_RO
Veteran

Romania
Cluj-Napoca, Romania
Victor_RO is going for a new world record!Victor_RO is going for a new world record!Victor_RO is going for a new world record!Victor_RO is going for a new world record!Victor_RO is going for a new world record!Victor_RO is going for a new world record!Victor_RO is going for a new world record!Victor_RO is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Larsen View Post
There was no third driver this race, Nakajima has commitments in FNippon and Super GT and can only do part of the season in the 7 car.
Old 16 Apr 2013, 17:41 (Ref:3235412)   #399
deggis
Veteran

Finland
Highlights by Toyota:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tMP_HJXmNts
Old 16 Apr 2013, 17:58 (Ref:3235416)   #400
Larsen
Racer

Denmark
Northants, UK
Larsen should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by deggis View Post
Nobody at Silverstone, normally Kazuki Nakajima.
Thanks very much