Old 24 Sep 2010, 17:02 (Ref:2764095)   #376
steve nielsen
Veteran

Netherlands
Rotterdam- Holland
steve nielsen should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by jonboy1066 View Post
I souldn't really have won in a Force India............still very very enjoyable.
There are some reality issues, I was driving the Lotus and saw Chandok in the HRT overtaking PDLR in the Sauber on the straight in China just in front of me

I got a blocking penalty while beeing wedged between the guard rail and my teammate who spun in front of me(Monaco).

and a penalty for causing a coulision when someone crashed into me while trying to overtake me on the outside.
Old 24 Sep 2010, 17:28 (Ref:2764103)   #377
ROB IS THE STIG
Veteran

England
Paddock Hill Bend Brands Hatch!!
ROB IS THE STIG should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Take the flags down to to relaxed, it seems more realistic to me!!!

Just as a guide, can some of u guys do a time trial at Montreal please, i wanna guage how im doing so far, im doing 1:17.9 - 1:18.2 consistently in the Mclaren, eveything turned off. Thx

Oh btw way, 24 friends online this evening, every one of them on F1 2010

Old 24 Sep 2010, 18:28 (Ref:2764124)   #378
el_cat
Racer

el_cat should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Hmmm, just started my career on medium, and promptly put a Virgin fastest in Free Practise. Time to upgrade to hard I think..........
Old 24 Sep 2010, 18:30 (Ref:2764125)   #379
TheKing
Racer

United States
TheKing should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I got the game today and after a few hours of play I'd thought I'd add my thoughts. (Rob is the Stig - I've done a 1.16.2 around Montreal in Mclaren)

Firstly a great game, the graphics (both cars and tracks) are stunning. Generally it plays well too, the career mode seems interesting with the challenges and objectives to meet.

I'm only going to give it an 8/10 however as there are a few issues that let it down.

I'd like to add I've only been playing with a pad (360 user) but I've got the wireless wheel at another location so looking forward to trying it.

Problems:

1. The handling is let down in slow corners, it feels scripted as to when you spin out. Just touching some particular kerbs rotate you without any chance of correcting. That said medium and high speed corners are enjoyable.
2. Acceleration out of slow corners is also strange and I can't put my finger on it, it almost sounds like the clutch is slipping? Maybe its the wheels spinning but then you don't have anything to correct.
3. The AI move all over the place, I acknowledge that sometimes this is to defend which is a cool feature however sometimes you are just following them and their lines are poor.
4. On this last issue on certain parts of certain tracks the AI are very slow, meaning you can pass them with ease. For example the high speed chicane around the back at Albert Park and the new slow infield at Bahrain.
5. The penalties are OTT and sometimes you don't even realise why you have been given the penalty (on this note where do you change the flag rules because I've missed it...?)
6. In Monaco the barriers are magnetised when you hit them. Especially in the tunnel, you just stop, you don't slide along them - this links in with the damage which IMO is a little dissapointing but they have still done a good job.

There are other issues but I'd thought I'd highlight a few and see what other people's opinions are. They aren't going to stop me playing the game. I enjoy hot lapping with the online leaderboards and once I get on it with the wheel I'm sure I'm going to enjoy finding those few tenths on each circuit.

A great game which could have been perfect with a little more testing and a little bit more thought. Hopefully they can concentrate on these little things for 2011 and maybe just improve the handling a little.

Thanks
Old 24 Sep 2010, 18:30 (Ref:2764126)   #380
marcel82
Veteran

European Union
Beersel, Belgium
marcel82 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I didn't intend to buy this game, since I've never been good in F1 cars in rFactor or the likes.
But then I did.

I must say, I'm really enjoying it. I'm driving the Virgin car, for a 3 year career.
I'm now at China, where I got the 13th time in Q2, but I got a grid penalty? Honesty makes me add I started the GP, but bailed out of it halfway through - more on this later, I'm gonna do the good stuff first.

I like the challenge the game provides you. There are some guys out there that are doing interstellar laps, and they will disagree with me on this. But I'm a regular bloke, this is a challenge for me. Compared to what I've been driving the last few months (I got D-licenses on iracing to give you an idea), You can actually feel the power these beasts have. It's immense trying to keep these going where you want them to go. Let alone get a decent lap time in. In a Virgin, the feeling you get when you can get to Q2 is a victory on it's own. Beating my teammate however, isn't. For some reason, Lucas is the slowest driver in the field, he's always 24th. Ergo, I beat him if I don't screw up.

The menu ideas are brilliant. When you start up the game, it throws you into a press conference, introducing you as a new GP-driver. You enter your name, team and career length as you were answering the journalist's questions. Then you get to your trailer, where your very own personal french accented agent fills you in on your options. Inside the trailer you get the options for your career, outside, the press is waiting for interviews after each qualifying session and race. At first it's just the one guy with a cameraman, but after I'd scored my first points at Sepang, there was another guy waiting in the background, and some grid-girls.
When you start your GP-sessions, the game immediately places you in your office, the cockpit of your car. There's the monitor on the nose for you to check session standings, weather, setup, stuff like that. To the left of you there are your tyres, and you can decide strategy. And your team-mate is sitting in his car, for you to compare stats with. The driver with the best stats gets to decide, allegedly, which way the team develops the car (you get test-objectives in FP1 if you're leading). Your race-engineer is there as well, with suggested setups and race objectives. He's also the guy to talk to if you want to actually leave the pit box and drive around for a bit. There's also a pit board, that lets you skip sessions.
It feels like you're actually the driver at the track, all the time, which is a good thing in a game where you're a driver, on racetracks.

The driving is, when you get the controls set right, good. It doesn't feel as a full blown sim, but it gets the experience-job done. And it's very much believeable - most times. It's as much a sim as GT or forza are, maybe a bit more in some bits, maybe a bit less. As I said, the feel you get when you unleash the beast for the first time, is immense, and maybe a bit overwhelming through quick succesions of short turns. The cars aren't easy to learn, it's taken me at least 3 GP weekends to not feel like a complete Ide in the car. And even then, I'm still feeling like Badoer (even if I finished 5th in my Virgin on Sepang).
When you got clear roads, you're having a lot of fun, and your engineer keeps you informed of what's going on. He's not always the brightest tool in the box (saying I'm so slow I should change my setup, while it's clearly due to the fact I spent to much time playing in the sandbox), but otherwise there's no reason to doubt his skills. He always wants you to go for the pass, except when it's to bad a weather. At which point I choose to ignore him.

The actual racing, at times, is, well, not so good. A lot of it is due to Codemaster's policy of "every ingame contact is the player's fault, and we don't see how that logic could fail, like, ever". This means that you get a warning whenever you try to outbrake a driver in front of you, and he decides to change line so you can't avoid him. Which is always, or very nearly so. It doesn't do much damage, and there doesn't seem to be a limit on warnings, but it spoils the fun a bit. I get the point that it makes you time your passes more cautiously, but there's a problem with that. When you're close to the AI, they are so slow through the turns, it's near impossible to nót pass themn and it gives you little time to adjust passing strategy. I've had it happen a few times I had to abandon a completed pass, because the guy in front of the guy I just passed was turning in way later than normal, and nearly into me.
On the first turn complexes of Sepang and Shanghai, I'm extremely much faster than any of the other cars. In China, I can get a bad start from 18th, and go into the next hairpin 13th-ish (incidently retiring Shuey in the process). But this is al when close to them. When they get some distance however, doing the same things as when they're close, the gap is less to my advantage. The strange thing here is, when I'm a few seconds behind a Red Bull in 4th, I can't catch him. I can keep away from the guy behind me (if I don't mess up), but I won't catch the Red Bull. But if I'm driving the same pace behind Lucas di Slowi (he really is slow in the game), I won't catch him either.

Then there's the bugs. The most famous by know is the pit stop bug. It's based on an agreement the teams abandoned during the first race, namely that they wouldn't release their cars when another cars is within a certain distance of their stall. They abandoned it for the very same reason this bug points out, especially with shorter race distances. You do a good race, you're in a good position, but you have to pit, because your tyres are gone. Now everyone who started on the same tyres as you did, comes in the very same lap you do. Because you started your career with a new team you are at the end of the pit lane. Meaning your lollipop guy has to let everyone pass you, before he clears you to go back out. And that does mean everyone. You'll be 24th when you rejoin the track, a few seconds behind 23rd. And I already adressed that issue. You'll also enter the pits more often than you would, because the tyres bridgestone developed for this game are bloody awful. At every track so far, I've had a puncture, sometimes more than one in a session. In Q1 for the Chinese GP, I had a puncture at the end of my first flying lap (btw, when you select to go out, you can opt to get a rolling start at the end of your out lap, which I usually do).

Then there's the story of my China GP. This was my first wet GP. Qualifying was dry though. I got through to Q2, without much trouble. In that session I got 13th, but got set back. This is what happened: I just completed a fast lap, and was going on, since I felt there was room for improvement. Out the pits comes Kobayashi. Suddenly he just steers into the racing line, where my car just happened to be. So, contact was unavoidable, and thanks to Codemasters' contact-policy I got the blame. I was still happy to do well with the Virgin, so I let it slip with a "oh, codies, you'll never learn".
So raceday came, along with the rain (it had rained in FP as well, and I was rather quick in that). I started 18th, got a good start, not losing positions. In T1&2 I moved up a couple places, and by mid-race I was 7th when my engineer said it was time to change tyres (which I chose to ignore for a lap, see pitstopbug). At this point, it was clearly still raining: I had rain drops and spray, and there was no dry line forming like in practise. My engineer reminded me of my stop, by saying we'd stick to inters as the weather wasn't changing. Not to my surprise everyone in front of me pits, and as I pass the pit exit, out storms Kubica, on option tyres - slicks! At first I was euforious for such a blunder of a rival. That lasted until T1, where he was just massively quicker then me, by the time I'd gotten to the sector 2 split, he was gone. Like I was in an F3 or something... This is when I quit for the day.

Overall, I'd say it's a very fun game, which I will be playing for quite a while, and enjoying it. But it does need some work, because some things are bothering it a lot.

*small edit on AI, after reading a very true comment on another forum: it's far from perfect, that's true, but! : it is advanced, every driver has his own noticeable driving style. Other games have claimed it, and have different AI-files per driver, but you don't notice it in the game. But this one gets it done, passing Hamilton is different to passing Button. But there are the flaws.

Last edited by marcel82; 24 Sep 2010 at 18:38.
Old 24 Sep 2010, 18:57 (Ref:2764132)   #381
SennaTheGreat
Veteran

England
Grimsby
SennaTheGreat has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
GUTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTED. I finished in the points at Bahrain, but had a 10 second penalty for just moving over too quickly on a certain M. Schumacher and took his full front wing off so I got classified 12th, am now moving the difficulty up to professional, wish me luck
Old 24 Sep 2010, 21:34 (Ref:2764199)   #382
tux
Veteran

United Kingdom
United Kingdom
tux should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridtux should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridtux should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
The game is good in some respects but terrible in others, you run wide into the gravel you spin back onto the racing line, you try and accelerate from corners or the grid unless your in 3rd gear you just bounce off the limiter, and the objectives are insane, at Hispanias home race i was set a target of finishing the race in 12th...

Other than that its a good game.
Old 25 Sep 2010, 01:37 (Ref:2764242)   #383
Fox89
Veteran

United Kingdom
Leamington Spa, UK
Fox89 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridFox89 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Just as a guide, can some of u guys do a time trial at Montreal please, i wanna guage how im doing so far, im doing 1:17.9 - 1:18.2 consistently in the Mclaren, eveything turned off. Thx
I'm focussing on Monaco at the moment, doing around 1:17's in qualifying for Montreal. Really getting into the groove of Monaco though, my best as of a few minutes ago is a 1:14.006.

I'm absolutely hooked on this game. The racing offline is pretty good I feel, but online it's brilliant. I've spent so much time racing other guys from the league I've signed up to over PSN, and had some great racing. Especially at Montreal!
Old 25 Sep 2010, 07:29 (Ref:2764296)   #384
steve nielsen
Veteran

Netherlands
Rotterdam- Holland
there's already a big buglist on the codemasters forums:

BUGS & ERRORS OFFLINE

-Pitstop exiting hesitation (see targa thread for temporary solution) (ALL FORMATS)

-Race results not portraying actual results (ALL FORMATS)

-Tyre punctures occur far too frequent (ALL FORMATS)

-AI blue flag issue, they get disqualified (ALL FORMATS)

-AI Fuel: AI qualifying slower then race start (ALL FORMATS)

-AI ghosting cars (ALL FORMATS)

-AI erratic swerving (in race when heating tyres isnt necessary)(ALL FORMATS)

-AI drivers not pitting at all in a race. (ALL FORMATS)

-Sound delay on shifting (ALL FORMATS)

-Split timing would be Usefull on screen. (ALL FORMATS)

-Sector 3 times don't stay up, you can't ever see your sector 3 (ALL FORMATS)

-Slight lag on controls of car (ALL FORMATS)

-Camera bug in time trial when exiting and rentering session head/hands disaapears TBC (ALL FORMATS)

-Tyre availability bug in practice sessions, e.g., no Primes available in P2 image (ALL FORMATS)

-Cars not being serviced in the pits and just sitting there, causing user to reset race if teammate is stuck. TBC (ALL FORMATS)

-Pit limiter auto on regardless of setting. (ALL FORMATS)

-wet times too fast , almost identical to dry times !??! (ALL FORMATS)

- too much grip in the rain (ALL FORMATS)

- too much grip with Intermediate/full wets (ALL FORMATS)

- live timer doesn't show personal best sector times (ALL FORMATS)

- third soft/hard tyre set not available in qualifying (ALL FORMATS)

- penalties given to player when ai hit you and also far too sensitive in certain forced situations (ALL FORMATS)

-Freezing and locking up often (XBOX360)

-Sustaining damage has no effect on performance on user or AI cars (ALL FORMATS)

-Remove hidden anti spin mechanic car doesnt feel right (or give option on/off) (ALL FORMATS)

-IN/OUT laps not counted in lap count for sessions (ALL FORMATS)

-Users reporting Corrupt Save Data (ALL FORMATS)

http://community.codemasters.com/for...rors-list.html
Old 25 Sep 2010, 10:18 (Ref:2764331)   #385
marcel82
Veteran

European Union
Beersel, Belgium
marcel82 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by tux View Post
The game is good in some respects but terrible in others, you run wide into the gravel you spin back onto the racing line, you try and accelerate from corners or the grid unless your in 3rd gear you just bounce off the limiter, and the objectives are insane, at Hispanias home race i was set a target of finishing the race in 12th...

Other than that its a good game.
Hispania is overpowered. I've never seen them qualify behind the Lotuses, and in China Chandhok was challenging me for 10th on lap 1 (he was ahead of me on the grid, so he had at least made it into Q2)
Old 25 Sep 2010, 12:19 (Ref:2764364)   #386
ROB IS THE STIG
Veteran

England
Sounds like most people are enjoying it!!!

I just finished the British GP in the Lotus in last place as i had right rear tyre let go on the last lap thru the flat out Maggots and Becketts section which sent me flying off backwards

Oh and i have had a £1.5million pay rise, signed a new contract and promotion to number 1 driver

Up yours J.Trulli haha

How about this for a set up

Old 25 Sep 2010, 12:30 (Ref:2764366)   #387
AussieTimmeh
Racer

Australia
Newcastle
AussieTimmeh should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by ROB IS THE STIG View Post

How about this for a set up
Looks pretty similar to mine here. Are you using TH2G, SoftTH, Nvidia Surround or Eyefinity?

Also are the colours that different between monitors in real life or just the photo? The outside two look really red versus a greenish centre one.
Old 25 Sep 2010, 12:53 (Ref:2764373)   #388
AussieTimmeh
Racer

Australia
Newcastle
While we're talking about triple-screen setups, on the higher view, where I prefer to drive from, the camera angle is too far rearward or too low, and you get part of what I assume is the airbox coming through into view that looks very weird.

They've done well with the triple-screen implementation (like GRID2), but still room for improvement.

You can see the weird bits in the picture I took below, click here for a larger pic.

Old 25 Sep 2010, 13:48 (Ref:2764385)   #389
Knowlesy
20KPINAL

Knowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Sick of the pitcrew putting the wrong tyres on. I start on the prime and they put primes on at the stop. Have to select it myself. They should automatically switch compound unless told not to.
Old 25 Sep 2010, 13:52 (Ref:2764386)   #390
ROB IS THE STIG
Veteran

England
Quote:
Originally Posted by Knowlesy View Post
Sick of the pitcrew putting the wrong tyres on. I start on the prime and they put primes on at the stop. Have to select it myself. They should automatically switch compound unless told not to.
Not had that at all mate
Old 25 Sep 2010, 15:23 (Ref:2764402)   #391
Knowlesy
20KPINAL

Knowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
It is ok if you don't change the tyre before the race. If you change compound pre-race, you have to manually select your tyres in the race.

Also got blocked from my pitbox by the rear jackman.
Old 25 Sep 2010, 15:29 (Ref:2764404)   #392
tux
Veteran

United Kingdom
United Kingdom
tux should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridtux should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridtux should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Ive had lots of things like that Knowlesy, once at Monaco they even put Inters on when it had been dry for the entire race. Does anyone else find that tracks you hate in real life F1 are actually really enjoyable to drive on the game? I hate Bahrain in real life but i love to drive it on the game.
Old 25 Sep 2010, 15:34 (Ref:2764405)   #393
ROB IS THE STIG
Veteran

England
I love Montreal and found Valencia really easy in the game!!!

I didn't get on with Silverstone funnily enough but i love it in real life
Old 25 Sep 2010, 16:46 (Ref:2764425)   #394
steve nielsen
Veteran

Netherlands
Rotterdam- Holland
Quote:
Originally Posted by tux View Post
Ive had lots of things like that Knowlesy, once at Monaco they even put Inters on when it had been dry for the entire race. Does anyone else find that tracks you hate in real life F1 are actually really enjoyable to drive on the game? I hate Bahrain in real life but i love to drive it on the game.
Just qualified 10th and finished 2nd at Bahrain in the Lotus, I managed 6th at Valencia earlier.
Old 25 Sep 2010, 17:30 (Ref:2764443)   #395
Fox89
Veteran

United Kingdom
Leamington Spa, UK
Fox89 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridFox89 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Does anyone else find that tracks you hate in real life F1 are actually really enjoyable to drive on the game?
Bahrain and Valencia spring to mind!
Old 26 Sep 2010, 14:26 (Ref:2764800)   #396
Chatters
Veteran

Australia
Radelaide, South Australia
Chatters should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridChatters should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Keep in mind this has only been out a week, I'm sure there will be updates arriving shortly to fix some of the pressing bugs.
"A lot of people go through life doing things badly. Racing’s important to men who do it well. When you’re racing, it... it’s life. Anything that happens before or after... is just waiting." - Steve McQueen
Old 26 Sep 2010, 16:45 (Ref:2764930)   #397
NeilB
Rookie

England
NeilB should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Got mine last night and haven't played much it much, but first impressions are good so far.

But I'm already getting quite annoyed at using the controller, after playing the GPx series with a steering wheel for may years. So any recommendations for a decent wheel for the 360?
Old 26 Sep 2010, 18:58 (Ref:2765022)   #398
nickyf1
Veteran

Scotland
City of Glasgow, Scotland, UK
nickyf1 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridnickyf1 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
There is only one good wheel left that you could realistically buy, and thats the Microsoft one. All the Fanatecs are sold and Logitech dont make the DFX any more.
Old 26 Sep 2010, 22:30 (Ref:2765146)   #399
Tathrim
Veteran

United Kingdom
Lancaster/Wallingford
Tathrim should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by nickyf1 View Post
There is only one good wheel left that you could realistically buy, and thats the Microsoft one. All the Fanatecs are sold and Logitech dont make the DFX any more.
not all of them, but there aren't many left.
Old 26 Sep 2010, 22:36 (Ref:2765149)   #400
AussieTimmeh
Racer

Australia
Newcastle
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chatters View Post
Keep in mind this has only been out a week, I'm sure there will be updates arriving shortly to fix some of the pressing bugs.
They won't be able to fix the alleged problem where the AI cars are not actually doing lap times and the results are phony/rubber banded etc. Ever wonder why you can't view an AI car in replay, or get accurate split times?

The Codemaster forums are going nuts over this.

Link to thread.

If it's true, it's a whole game engine problem, not just a patchable fix.