Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Australasian Touring Cars. > New Zealand Motor Racing

Notices

Old 27 Aug 2014, 09:10 (Ref:3448046)   #376
Blackpearl
Racer

Blackpearl is a back marker
M2 is not entering, going to be a small field
Old 28 Aug 2014, 02:48 (Ref:3448372)   #377
Just Do It!
Veteran

Just Do It! should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridJust Do It! should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridJust Do It! should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by pukekoheracer View Post
Looking forward to seeing who Murphy slots in beside him
McLaughlin, isn't it?
Old 28 Aug 2014, 05:03 (Ref:3448389)   #378
NZSTfan
Veteran

New Zealand
car heaven
NZSTfan should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Just Do It! View Post
McLaughlin, isn't it?
Yeah I heard similar JDI....not sure if its pitlane bs or true to be fair. Would be fitting I guess to have your childhood hero as your main driver. Be a damn good pairing if it is true. ...and its M3 so nuff said
Old 28 Aug 2014, 10:44 (Ref:3448474)   #379
Just Do It!
Veteran

Just Do It! should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridJust Do It! should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridJust Do It! should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by NZSTfan View Post
Yeah I heard similar JDI....not sure if its pitlane bs or true to be fair. Would be fitting I guess to have your childhood hero as your main driver. Be a damn good pairing if it is true. ...and its M3 so nuff said
The Supercheap link to Murph is the key. Not sure how the mortgage sits, but hopefully they make an announcement soon.

Apparently, there are others to come as well - three or four V8 Supercar driver seems likely.
Old 28 Aug 2014, 18:38 (Ref:3448614)   #380
pukekoheracer
Racer

pukekoheracer should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Well if we look at the cars /Drivers that raced at Pukekohe in April 2014 the field may look like this.

Andre Heimgartner/Paul Morris
Angus Fogg/and ?
Simon Evans/SVG
Mark Gibson/John McIntyre
Greg Murphy/?
Matt Lockwood/?
Eddie Bell/?
Mitch Cunningham/?
Tim Edgell/?
Chris Hanley/?
Morgan Haber/?
Simon McLennan/?
Richard Moore/Tim Slade
Ant Pederson/?
Dominic Storey/?
Andrew Waite/?
Steve Owen- Sure to get a ride someplace

Kenny Smith/Andrew Higgins Car-Ford/Holden or another

Lots of places to fill. With Talk of 3/4 other Supercar Drivers crossing the Tasman take your pick from
Chaz Mostert
James Moffat
Lee Holdsworth
Nick Percat
Jack Perkins
Scott McLaughlin
Time Slade-Already Confirmed
Dale Wood
Fabian Coulthard

And that's only the current crop of 25
Old 28 Aug 2014, 19:23 (Ref:3448619)   #381
on_to_it
Veteran

New Zealand
New Zealand
on_to_it has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Quote:
Well if we look at the cars /Drivers that raced at Pukekohe in April 2014 the field may look like this...
Waite is out; Tasman have thrown in the towel.
Old 28 Aug 2014, 19:33 (Ref:3448624)   #382
The Realist
Racer

The Realist should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Petch View Post
Maybe there may only be 14-15 V8ST's on the grid at Taupo, but its still going to be a very classy field, and the support races are at record levels so it will be a great meeting for the real motor racing fans regardless of V8ST's continuing to have to battle to get all its Teams on the grid.

As far as being worthwhile for the TV cameras to be there, financially TV3 take no risk whatsoever, its a straight user pay's deal, and V8ST and its committed support class's have to pay for the Camera's, the OB truck and all the rest of the cost's involved.

Unless the weather is shite it will be a great weekends racing and I wouldn't miss it for quids.
Let's all ensure that it is a great weekend event. Lots of spectators, quality support categories, and close entertaining racing. It needs to be financially viable for the promoters and the Taupo track. To me needs more ST cars to be viable at this point. Keep working on it please.
Old 28 Aug 2014, 20:17 (Ref:3448630)   #383
Goat Boy
Veteran

New Zealand
Auckland
Goat Boy has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Are there trucks on the schedule? They usually draw a decent crowd. I recall speaking with an ST team owner a year or two back when there were pretty average crowds for the November Pukekohe race - at that stage there were still around 20 ST's on the grid, there was a very full race card with some great supports and there was even decent food (a rarity for Puke).
"What else do we need to do to get people to come to the track?" said the exasperated owner.
I guess the reality is, in Auckland in particular, there is a fair bit of apathy for anything which is not V8SC. Which is a pity and is why it is a good thing that all the factions will be together for the best part of the season. Splitting an already small crowd was never going to be a good thing financially.

Just is a pity that we can't get all 22 ST's out on the track, and despite John Key assuring us that most New Zillanders are heppy with where the ecomumy is et, there doesn't seem to be a lot of money flowing around for sponsorship of motorsport.
Old 29 Aug 2014, 04:02 (Ref:3448733)   #384
20b
Rookie

New Zealand
Auckland
20b should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Realist View Post
Let's all ensure that it is a great weekend event. Lots of spectators, quality support categories, and close entertaining racing. It needs to be financially viable for the promoters and the Taupo track. To me needs more ST cars to be viable at this point. Keep working on it please.
Stop being so sensible, this is top tier motor racing we're talking about. I doubt there's a whole lot we can do, other than turning up, to make this meeting a great weekend. The rest is left up to the management to faff about with.

Considering how bitterly cold it was, Taupo yielded an alright crowd for the sprint round. In theory it should get a greater turn out with the 'quality support categories' and bearing in mind if the weather is a little warmer. If.

McLennan and M2 just announced their departure for the year, so I guess that brings us to around fourteen?

What's Dom doing?
Old 29 Aug 2014, 04:31 (Ref:3448738)   #385
socram
Veteran

New Zealand
Auckland
socram should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridsocram should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goat Boy View Post
"What else do we need to do to get people to come to the track?" said the exasperated owner
.....and despite John Key assuring us that most New Zillanders are heppy with where the ecomumy is et, there doesn't seem to be a lot of money flowing around for sponsorship of motorsport.
I hope people haven't fallen into the trap that a race has to have either high profile people or million dollar cars (or sponsored cars) to attract the punters.
One grid with high profile drivers/cars - fantastic.
The support classes need full grids and a decent variety of cars.
We are going over old ground here, but the ST category itself is fine.
But those who think that either the enthusiasts or the borderline punters only want to see a meeting of identical/similar cars and often with tiny grids, are so far out of touch it isn't funny. Nor do paying spectators want an empty track for 30% of the day. They want to see moving cars on the track.
Why do Central Muscle Cars attract such crowd interest and Suzuki Swifts don't?
There is more far more to motorsport than Falcodores and sadly, what has been televised over the last few years locally, has not exactly made circuit racing look attractive.
A televised grid of 9 cars does no-one any favours and with one or two exceptions, coverage of most races focuses 90% of the time on the leading three cars - unless there is a big accident. That means that sponsors of cars outside the first two or three probably do not consider it worthwhile investing.
Would you spend your advertising budget on a race car if you got almost zero TV exposure? It's not just about having a corporate box for your drinking buddies.
Old 29 Aug 2014, 08:34 (Ref:3448771)   #386
Mark Petch
Veteran

Mark Petch should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by socram View Post
I hope people haven't fallen into the trap that a race has to have either high profile people or million dollar cars (or sponsored cars) to attract the punters.
One grid with high profile drivers/cars - fantastic.
The support classes need full grids and a decent variety of cars.
We are going over old ground here, but the ST category itself is fine.
But those who think that either the enthusiasts or the borderline punters only want to see a meeting of identical/similar cars and often with tiny grids, are so far out of touch it isn't funny. Nor do paying spectators want an empty track for 30% of the day. They want to see moving cars on the track.
Why do Central Muscle Cars attract such crowd interest and Suzuki Swifts don't?
Hi Ray,

I count Dr John, the president of CMC as a good friend and a confident, John and I often have long interesting talks about the crowd pulling attraction of various categories including CMC, and one thing that we totally agree on is that as the "main act" the fact is they [CMC] don't put bums on seats. There's plenty of examples of that fact the last one that comes to mind was the MSNZ promoted Taupo round of the NZV8's, which despite also having a zillion BMW's, some GTR's, and lots of great CMC beasties could not attract more than the preverbal 'one man and a black dog' to watch some great racing action.

Central Muscle Cars add to a big meeting no question about that, but thats were it starts and finish's as Highlands will find out at their 101 meeting, to which, by the way, CMC have been paid appearance monies to attend, shades of the old day's!
Old 29 Aug 2014, 08:44 (Ref:3448774)   #387
Blackpearl
Racer

Quote:
Well if we look at the cars /Drivers that raced at Pukekohe in April 2014 the field may look like this.

Andre Heimgartner/Paul Morris
Angus Fogg/and ? HeaRD FOGG DOES NOT HAVE THE BUDGET.
Simon Evans/SVG
Mark Gibson/John McIntyre
Greg Murphy/?
Matt Lockwood/? has he brought a car?
Eddie Bell/?
Mitch Cunningham/?
Tim Edgell/?
Chris Hanley/?
Morgan Haber/?
Simon McLennan/? gone
Richard Moore/Tim Slade
Ant Pederson/?
Dominic Storey/? owes money all over the place
Andrew Waite/? gone
Steve Owen- Sure to get a ride someplace

Kenny Smith/Andrew Higgins Car-Ford/Holden or another

Lots of places to fill. With Talk of 3/4 other Supercar Drivers crossing the Tasman take your pick from
Chaz Mostert
James Moffat
Lee Holdsworth
Nick Percat
Jack Perkins
Scott McLaughlin
Time Slade-Already Confirmed
Dale Wood
Fabian Coulthard

And that's only the current crop of 25
Old 29 Aug 2014, 20:34 (Ref:3448945)   #388
on_to_it
Veteran

New Zealand
New Zealand
Quote:
Just is a pity that we can't get all 22 ST's out on the track, and despite John Key assuring us that most New Zillanders are heppy with where the ecomumy is et, there doesn't seem to be a lot of money flowing around for sponsorship of motorsport.
I think you'll find the lack of some decent sponsorships for motorsport is due more to the general health and performance of the sport over the last few years than it is to do with the current economy. I also think motorsport has lost its appeal generally, and a significant number of punters have moved on to other things.
Old 29 Aug 2014, 20:36 (Ref:3448946)   #389
The Realist
Racer

Quote:
Hi Ray,

I count Dr John, the president of CMC as a good friend and a confident, John and I often have long interesting talks about the crowd pulling attraction of various categories including CMC, and one thing that we totally agree on is that as the "main act" the fact is they [CMC] don't put bums on seats. There's plenty of examples of that fact the last one that comes to mind was the MSNZ promoted Taupo round of the NZV8's, which despite also having a zillion BMW's, some GTR's, and lots of great CMC beasties could not attract more than the preverbal 'one man and a black dog' to watch some great racing action.

Central Muscle Cars add to a big meeting no question about that, but thats were it starts and finish's as Highlands will find out at their 101 meeting, to which, by the way, CMC have been paid appearance monies to attend, shades of the old day's!
A Race Meeting needs to be more than just "Cars Racing" to attract a much needed crowd, and Sponsors. We are in the entertainment business as motorsport enthusiasts, being track owners, car owners, drivers, sponsors, and spectators. We need to win back the confidence of the paying public to put on a $30.00 show for $30.00, or even better give them $50.00 worth of perceived value for their $30.00. Just go and do it.
Old 29 Aug 2014, 21:10 (Ref:3448950)   #390
JamesK
Racer

JamesK should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
A Race Meeting needs to be more than just "Cars Racing" to attract a much needed crowd, and Sponsors. We are in the entertainment business as motorsport enthusiasts, being track owners, car owners, drivers, sponsors, and spectators. We need to win back the confidence of the paying public to put on a $30.00 show for $30.00, or even better give them $50.00 worth of perceived value for their $30.00. Just go and do it.
I think the car owners first need to have confidence in the promoters and the track owners to invest in motorsport.
Based on the recent debacle that has occurred in regards suggested track bans and certain series, this no doubt would do very little to offer any car / team owner nor sponsor any assurance in investing.
Win back the confidence in the car owners first, then the rest may happen.
Old 29 Aug 2014, 22:30 (Ref:3448957)   #391
socram
Veteran

New Zealand
Auckland
socram should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridsocram should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
We need to win back the confidence of the paying public to put on a $30.00 show for $30.00, or even better give them $50.00 worth of perceived value for their $30.00. Just go and do it.
Agree. But the real problem is winning back the paying public.

I grew up in an era when most UK families didn't have a family car and to get to Mallory Park, the only time there was an excursion bus, was Bank Holidays, but the crowds were huge. There wasn't much else on for a family excursion. Maximum grid size was just 14 cars on a 1.35 mile track but there were 86 entries including reserves.

We went as a family - Dad, Mum and three boys and it was a real treat.

There was no fairground, no on track displays. Just the usual British style of everything by the clock and just 8 races (based on a 1960 programme I have by my side).

Fast forward to Pukekohe's opening years and the crowds were often huge - and not just for the Tasman series. (Based on what I have read.)

Fast forward again and not only do mum and dad now have a car but so do most over 16's. Rather than going out as a family, Mum is just as likely to be taking half the kids elsewhere and dad may just take the other half not just to the racetrack, but to the BMX track, Snow Planet for skiing, indoor karting, Woodhill Forest and so on.

Motorsport is having to compete with so many other attractions these days that it has to be something a bit special to drag them in.

Boys these days don't seem to spend their spare time talking about or reading about cars (or spending every spare evening hour on a slot racing track) the way we did, as they are happier on a mobile electronic device or an X-Box, so cars have lost the glamour they once had.

Add to that, the blandness of most everyday cars and a new model these days raises no interest at all.

I remember so well two events in history that put new cars in the limelight not just for enthusiasts but the general public.

The first was the UK's 1959 motorshow, when Ford showed the Ford Anglia, Triumph the versatile Herald with bolt on panels and the BMC ground breaking Mini. The second was the announcement of the E Type Jaguar.

Whether we like it or not, attracting crowds to race tracks today is harder than it has ever been and there is no simple answer. I still stick to my view that small grids are the real killer for spectators.
Old 29 Aug 2014, 22:47 (Ref:3448962)   #392
20b
Rookie

New Zealand
Auckland
20b should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
To add to that, Socram, there is no exclusivity in Auckland. Last season we had five V8 SuperTourer meetings in the upper Waikato region. And for each one of those events there really was nothing enticing as a spectator to go and watch. Sure, you've got the likes of Tim Slade, Lee Holdsworth, Greg Murphy and Shane Van Gisbergen battling it out on track, but in reality it's all the same racing with on the same race tracks with the same result. And punters wonder why we're seeing these cars being built then not raced or sold off.

There are literally people crying out for races in the South Island at Teretonga, Timura, and Ruapuna. But SuperTourer management are more than contempt to keep the nationwide series mostly North Island based. And yet they wonder why there are poor spectator numbers.

I think it's gotten to the point that even if we had a merger between the two factions people still wouldn't want to turn up because it's damaged the sport to the point of really no return. Top-Tier motor racing needs a kick up the arse. I just wonder what it will take to give New Zealand racing a rebirth.
Old 30 Aug 2014, 00:01 (Ref:3448968)   #393
promax
Veteran

New Zealand
New Zealand
promax has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Quote:
Originally Posted by socram View Post
Boys these days don't seem to spend their spare time talking about or reading about cars (or spending every spare evening hour on a slot racing track) the way we did, as they are happier on a mobile electronic device or an X-Box, so cars have lost the glamour they once had.
nah.. I think kids today these days prefer these things..

they have the wow factor and the variety.. one make classes popular in tier one don't have. now I don't think filling tier one with drift cars will solve any problems. but I don't all is lost. there are plenty impressive machinery being built or brought into the country to run in the different endurance series, GT classes and Muscle Car. they'll no doubt add the missing wow factor to any tier one line up. if everyone continues to work together.. the crowds will slowly return.. and we won't see as many STs parked.
Old 30 Aug 2014, 05:15 (Ref:3448993)   #394
The Realist
Racer

People still go to motor racing events. Drifting, Western Springs, V8 Supercars at Pukekohe, Paeroa Street Races, Cemetery Circuit on Boxing Day, Highlands 101 etc. Maybe CMC, NZGT, bikes and drifting should run on the same weekend event and this would make a good promotable event. Substitute V8ST or NZV8 for the CMC or NZGT or bikes, and another promotable weekend. Start thinking laterally, and stop putting V8ST or NZV8's on a pederstool as the main class. All the above are equal, and a broad cross section of them equals a promotable event that people will pay to watch. At present, all the promoters support only their class as the event drawcard, and look with both rose tinted glasses and blinkers on.
Old 31 Aug 2014, 06:30 (Ref:3449205)   #395
pukekoheracer
Racer

pukekoheracer should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Jack Perkins signed to Co-Drive with Murphy.... Not who some were hoping
Old 31 Aug 2014, 07:06 (Ref:3449214)   #396
Blackpearl
Racer

Quote:
Jack Perkins signed to Co-Drive with Murphy.... Not who some were hoping
Anyone that thought thinks SM was going to come back are fools. He is the main man in Australia and i dought his contract would say no to nothing else.
Old 31 Aug 2014, 09:27 (Ref:3449255)   #397
Goat Boy
Veteran

New Zealand
Auckland
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackpearl View Post
Anyone that thought thinks SM was going to come back are fools. He is the main man in Australia and i dought his contract would say no to nothing else.
Jeez, have a read of that sentence...
Old 31 Aug 2014, 19:52 (Ref:3449332)   #398
on_to_it
Veteran

New Zealand
New Zealand
Quote:
Jeez, have a read of that sentence...
I did, and I have no idea what it meant. Back to Whale Oil.
Old 1 Sep 2014, 21:53 (Ref:3449589)   #399
Kiwi race fan
Rookie

Kiwi race fan should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Hi Ray,

WOW!!

So apart from the T Quinn owned Series it appears that CMC will be the first class to actually make a return trip to Highlands, and they have to be paid to come back.

It seems that the allure of running at Highlands sure didn't last long!!
Old 1 Sep 2014, 22:34 (Ref:3449597)   #400
Goat Boy
Veteran

New Zealand
Auckland
That's the trouble with a private show vs something owned by the clubs. Although HD has worked well to be fair, I just wish someone would front up the cash to finish it so it can fulfil its potential.