Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Barn Finds > IRL Indycar Series

Old 18 Jan 2005, 20:52 (Ref:1204120)   #376
Tim Northcutt
Veteran

United States
Indianapolis
Tim Northcutt should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTim Northcutt should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTim Northcutt should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTim Northcutt should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
I agree with you, Bootsontheside...I don't see "mega-teams" as being a good thing for the future of the Series....

How the Series moves back to where they were in 2002 is another question, and the real issue here.....becuase you had smaller teams as well as the big boys racing, and the costs were lower to operate as a team....

It'll be inteesting to see if or how they get back to that point in the coming months....

One American Open Wheel Series!
Old 19 Jan 2005, 01:33 (Ref:1204317)   #377
evo
Veteran

Canada
Medicine Hat
evo should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by GP Racer
Those colors look vintage, and some big name drove them, but I can't remember who?

Rutherford maybe?
It looks like a Sunoco paint scheme to me.
Old 19 Jan 2005, 08:59 (Ref:1204498)   #378
rustyfan
Veteran

Sweden
rustyfan should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridrustyfan should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridrustyfan should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Crash.Net posted the following yesterday (in regards to Delphi, Scott Sharp and Fernandez Racing):

Quote:
Long-term IRL sponsor Delphi Corporation has confirmed that its involvement with Scott Sharp will extend into 2005, with the signing of a new primary sponsorship agreement with Fernandez Racing.

The deal marks Delphi's eighth straight year of sponsorship in the IRL, but will be its first with the Fernandez team, which enjoyed great success after team owner Adrian Fernandez decided to forsake the Champ Car World Series on the eve of the 2004 campaign. IRL veteran Sharp will campaign the familiar red, black and yellow #8 car, having followed his sponsor from the Kelley Racing organisation. The 36-year old American has won eight races in his ten-year IRL career, and owns the series' record for consecutive starts, which will grow to 91 with the 6 March season-opener at Homestead.

“We have great confidence in Scott, and regard him as one of the sport's premier drivers, with a career resume that few can match in the IRL,” Delphi communications director Bill Lafontaine said, “We are very encouraged to be heading into the 2005 season with a proven winner at the wheel.”

Lafontaine joined Fernandez and co-owner Tom Anderson in confirming Sharp and Delphi on the team's new #8 entry ahead of this week's first pre-season test at Homestead.

“We are very excited about this opportunity to team up with Fernandez Racing, an extremely talented organisation with a wealth of engineering experience,” Lafontaine said, “This is a great technical fit for Delphi, and it's one we feel offers great potential to build on the past successes we have had with the IRL.”

Anderson said that Fernandez Racing was eager to begin the 2005 season after winning three of the final six races in 2004. The irony, however, is that Fernandez himself, the architect of those victories, is unlikely to start the season as he struggles to find the backing for his own entry.

“Delphi has clearly demonstrated its technology leadership continuously over the years, which made it a very attractive option for the Fernandez team,” Anderson said, “We feel we have a winning combination here, one that can only be strengthened by the veteran capability of Scott Sharp.”

In addition to Sharp, the Delphi-sponsored car will feature Futaba, AT&T and Bryant Heating and Cooling Systems as major associate sponsors in 2005.
Article link: http://www.crash.net/uk/en/news_view...=12&nid=104372
Old 19 Jan 2005, 10:00 (Ref:1204542)   #379
marcus
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

Australia
Australia
marcus has a real shot at the podium!marcus has a real shot at the podium!marcus has a real shot at the podium!marcus has a real shot at the podium!
great news , always good to have Shapr on the grid
Old 19 Jan 2005, 10:26 (Ref:1204569)   #380
rustyfan
Veteran

Sweden
rustyfan should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridrustyfan should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridrustyfan should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by GP Racer
Those colors look vintage, and some big name drove them, but I can't remember who?

Rutherford maybe?

Not exactly vintage, but perhaps you're thinking of Robbie Buhl

The shade of yellow in the middle is basically all that differs. Dunno, but at least Buhl's car was the first one I thought of when I saw Enge's above.

EDIT - Resized the image and put it on my own server, rather than leechin' off motorsport.com's bandwidth...

Last edited by rustyfan; 19 Jan 2005 at 10:30.
Old 19 Jan 2005, 19:21 (Ref:1204961)   #381
Down F0rce
Veteran

Scotland
Aberdeenshire, Scotland
Down F0rce should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridDown F0rce should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridDown F0rce should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridDown F0rce should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
http://www.indycar.com/indycar/news/...?story_id=3937

Sharp at Fernandez now confirmed.
Old 19 Jan 2005, 20:15 (Ref:1205022)   #382
GP Racer
Veteran

United States
"The Big Apple"
GP Racer should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridGP Racer should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Great news on Sharp! Glad thats finally done.

So what other news are we still waiting on? All I see is Access, and Mo Nunn left.

I havn't heard or read a word about Greg Rays Access team since the season ended. In the current "superteam" atmosphere in the IRL, I think it will be very hard for him to field a car, let alone the two that he said he would like. That would leave Mark Taylor out in the cold, and Greg Rays driving days would probably be over. Also havn't heard much from Mo either. Not even any rumors lately, so he could be done, and after the long, miserable year he had with Takagi, I wouldn't blame him.

Ed Carpenter hasn't found a ride either. He was going to Playa Del Racing, but that seems to have fallen through. Small chance of seeing Helmargen do something. Also would have been nice to see Jeff Simmons, Paul Dana, or Thiago Monterios get something.

Am I missing anything?

Danica Patrick
Old 19 Jan 2005, 21:33 (Ref:1205094)   #383
Down F0rce
Veteran

Scotland
Aberdeenshire, Scotland
Down F0rce should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridDown F0rce should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridDown F0rce should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridDown F0rce should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
I think Access will make the grid...University Lofts were pleased with them last year - Access brought them some bussiness, apparantly - can't see a reason for their sponsorship to stop. They could just be saving money by not taking part in the tests.

Mo Nunn. Hmm. He tried to get Franchitti and Sheckter, so he must have some money to spend...I'm not sure we wil see him though, unless a pay driver steps forward. They'll be in the IPS though.

Playa Del apparantly couldn't raise the funds to buy Kelley's equippment.
Old 20 Jan 2005, 14:52 (Ref:1205685)   #384
rustyfan
Veteran

Sweden
SpeedTV has posted the following on Fernandez:

Quote:
Farewell to Fernandez

Adrian Fernandez’s absence behind the wheel at this week’s IndyCar testing at Homestead only confirmed what was already considered a given in the IRL paddock: the popular Mexican, a three-time winner last season, won’t be driving in the 2005 IndyCar championship.

"I am proud of our accomplishments in our first season of IRL competition,” stated Fernandez. “Three wins and fifth in the championship showed the strength and maturity of the team we began four years ago. However, as we enter a new season, I am faced with the hard fact that I do not have the necessary budget to compete in 2005. Given our current situation with the start of the new season just over two months away and as necessary to keep the team intact and functioning at maximum levels, the team will focus its attention on Scott Sharp and Kosuke Matsuura.”

"I enjoyed one of the best seasons of my career in 2004,” continued the statement. “As a driver, I feel I have a lot left to offer. I am working hard to be able to race again as soon as possible."

Fernandez’s 2004 success wasn’t enough to change the minds of his longtime backers Tecate and Telmex, which had decided to withdraw from open-wheel racing by last season’s end. Besides his three IRL victories, the Mexican won eight times in 178 starts during a Champ Car career highlighted by his runner-up position in the 2000 championship, won by Gil de Ferran.
I think what I put in bold is good to see, and hopefully they'll find enough sponsorship during the season to allow him join in on the fun.
Old 20 Jan 2005, 14:54 (Ref:1205686)   #385
Kicking-back
Veteran

Kicking-back should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridKicking-back should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Yes - and a sensible attitude from him not to compromise the team by insisting on driving himself.
Old 20 Jan 2005, 16:31 (Ref:1205764)   #386
BootsOntheSide
Veteran

England
Eastbourne, England
BootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
The chances are that he had no way of getting out on track himself - running Sharp and Matsuura were probably his only options. Maybe something will come along at the last minute, and he'll at least do Motegi and Indy - if he shines then, maybe something will come along.
Old 21 Jan 2005, 04:40 (Ref:1206085)   #387
marcus
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

Australia
Australia
marcus has a real shot at the podium!marcus has a real shot at the podium!marcus has a real shot at the podium!marcus has a real shot at the podium!
so Fernandez is officially out then ???
Old 21 Jan 2005, 06:50 (Ref:1206104)   #388
rustyfan
Veteran

Sweden
Quote:
Originally Posted by marcus
so Fernandez is officially out then ???
Unless he finds sponsorship, yeah.
Old 21 Jan 2005, 09:42 (Ref:1206212)   #389
marcus
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

Australia
Australia
well that really sux
Old 21 Jan 2005, 10:31 (Ref:1206255)   #390
Hazza
Subscriber
Veteran

Australia
Behind You.
Hazza should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridHazza should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridHazza should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by marcus
well that really sux
3 time race winner in debut season and all round nice guy - and can't get the sponsership, what is this? Formula One?

Last edited by Hazza; 21 Jan 2005 at 10:33.
Old 21 Jan 2005, 12:12 (Ref:1206303)   #391
N I Tram
Veteran

N I Tram should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Adrian missing out is another indication of what a mess open-wheel racing is in. The whole Mexican market has pretty much disappeared from both championships overnight. Although this is a strong field, and we can expect lclose racing and maybe 8-10 different winners, it's hard to be 100% positive about so many talented drivers beign left out, and so many teams forced out (again).
Old 21 Jan 2005, 13:21 (Ref:1206374)   #392
Kicking-back
Veteran

Kicking-back should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridKicking-back should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
If only sense prevailed and IndyCar was able to add the Mexico City race to its schedule as well as one in Canada.

I never thought I'd say this - but with ChampCar being reduced to essentially a street parade series and only having nine confirmed drivers, I think it's time for them to bite the bullet, swallow their pride, pull the plug and come over.
Old 21 Jan 2005, 13:42 (Ref:1206403)   #393
rustyfan
Veteran

Sweden
Off topic comment alert
I have to type this or my brain will explode!

I wouldn't be too worried about the number of confirmed Champ Car drivers just yet - remember that they start their season a whole month later than for example IndyCar, so they have a little more time to work on things.

Why my optimism? Well, I'd hate for Champ Car to disappear now that I will finally be able to see it on TV again (and Bjorn Wirdheim might get to drive for PKV)

Thanks for reading, you've been a wonderful audience. Don't forget to try the veal and tip your waitress. We now return you to the topic

Last edited by rustyfan; 21 Jan 2005 at 13:43.
Old 21 Jan 2005, 13:47 (Ref:1206410)   #394
Kicking-back
Veteran

True - but if we had a 28 car field of quality drivers in one series, Wirdheim would be among them.

Anyway, I've gone ludicrously off-topic, I do apologise
Old 21 Jan 2005, 18:36 (Ref:1206618)   #395
BootsOntheSide
Veteran

England
Eastbourne, England
BootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
There were more than 9 confirmed cars for the IRL a month ago though. While I've been disappointed by the IRL silly season so far, with the possibility of 2 less cars than last season, it's still in a healthier position than ChampCars, for what little it's worth.
Old 22 Jan 2005, 12:32 (Ref:1207077)   #396
Kicking-back
Veteran

Paul Dana will drive for Hemelgarn.

http://www.motorsport.com/news/article.asp?ID=176042
Old 22 Jan 2005, 12:42 (Ref:1207088)   #397
BootsOntheSide
Veteran

England
Eastbourne, England
Yea, that one's a real surprise, and great news. With any luck, the deal will come together the way Paul hopes.

Interesting irony I've noticed from the article - not only are Tomas Enge and Tomas Scheckter team-mates with the same name, they finished 1-2 as team-mates for the 2001 Germany F3000 race.
Old 22 Jan 2005, 13:13 (Ref:1207102)   #398
rustyfan
Veteran

Sweden
Wow, that Paul Dana deal sure came out of the blue - great news indeed (if it comes together as they hope, of course)!
Old 22 Jan 2005, 13:17 (Ref:1207103)   #399
Kicking-back
Veteran

I don't think he'd have said it in such definite terms if i wasn't going to happen.
Old 22 Jan 2005, 13:37 (Ref:1207115)   #400
rustyfan
Veteran

Sweden
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kicking-back
I don't think he'd have said it in such definite terms if i wasn't going to happen.
We'll see. The people behind the Playa del Racing Team sounded pretty confident as well (didn't they?), and look how that turned out.

EDIT - I will be the first to admit, however, that Paul Dana's deal sounds a bit more solid than the Playa del Racing team ever did though

Last edited by rustyfan; 22 Jan 2005 at 13:39.