Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Classic Cars Monthly Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Historic Racing & Motorsport History > Historic Racing Today

Old 16 Jan 2021, 19:03 (Ref:4029489)   #4026
delta
Subscriber
Veteran

United Kingdom
Reading UK
delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!
Yours are pretty good as well Pete.
Old 16 Jan 2021, 20:21 (Ref:4029498)   #4027
bauble
Veteran

England
Potton, far from the madding crowd.
bauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by delta View Post
Loving these photos Viv. Thanks for posting.
Well! Our Viv sticks up a load of out of focus, poorly framed, badly developed tat, and attracts all sorts of praise and thanks.

Now he has the bragging rights, It ain't fair why can't he start his own Parade.

Mr Pie Ladies Husband Blotchy Snaps Parade?

I'll get you at play time De ......!
Attached Thumbnails
Return of bauble.jpg  
Old 16 Jan 2021, 23:11 (Ref:4029534)   #4028
midgetman
Veteran

midgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Ah then this must be one of your early photos Bauble.

Sent from my AC2003 using Tapatalk
Old 17 Jan 2021, 02:46 (Ref:4029552)   #4029
E.B
Veteran

United Kingdom
About 7kms East of Albert Park Melbourne
E.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by bauble View Post

Apologetic Bauble.
Those two words alone make me wonder if Bob is still suffering Jab side effects.
Old 17 Jan 2021, 06:57 (Ref:4029567)   #4030
Gerard C
Veteran

France
My place
Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!
No, no he's not suffering, he just let all the praise go to his head. At least, wearing a white dress clearly shows its time for his coming out.

Because we're many fluent in french here, just a reminder as to the size of the head, cocksure, le manque de modestie… Maestro, digest please:

Avoir la grosse tête, avoir le melon, avoir un sombrero, se la péter, ne plus se sentir pi sser, avoir les chevilles qui gonflent, se prendre pour un autre.
Why so many different way to say it in french? Because we need a lot to qualify ourselves! Taaaaa!
We now add: se prendre pour Bauble…

Last edited by Gerard C; 17 Jan 2021 at 07:03.
Old 17 Jan 2021, 07:34 (Ref:4029568)   #4031
midgetman
Veteran

midgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by VIVA GT View Post
I know some prefer Historics, so here's a few from the Formula 2 meeting at Donington in 1982:

I appear to have a friend! Who is looking at who?
1982! It seems like only yesterday but nearly forty years ago. It was the year I made my circuit debut having made a minor ripple in speed events the year before. I thought I was the next star. I was rubbish. Still am.

Drivers still out there in ordinary jackets, that race suit in the last picture so evocative of the 60s, but so little protection. And the helmets! I remember the fuss when the standard was tightened from Type B to Type A, originally they were given a four year life but the RAC (remember them?) soon changed that.

All together now - Happy Days.

Old 17 Jan 2021, 07:40 (Ref:4029569)   #4032
Belmondo
Racer

Belmondo should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Roddy MacPherson in the Cooper Bristol, no idea who's in the Austins.
Old 17 Jan 2021, 09:46 (Ref:4029580)   #4033
bauble
Veteran

England
bauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Yes! Good to see pictures from the 80's etc, mine are mostly recent [hotos of older cars. I passed all my old negs to some chap who wanted to digitise them. Last I ever heard of them.

Happy days? yeah, yeah!

Belmondo, clearly Roddy was a fan of Ken Wharton who always wore a yellow shirt, well before today's H&S obsession.

Looking at Viva's British Grand Prix pictures, is quite a terrifying experience, to think I was in such close proximity to him, and him with a camera!

Shudder.

Do keep them coming all. The more the merrier.
Old 17 Jan 2021, 10:11 (Ref:4029584)   #4034
rbs
Veteran

England
northampton
rbs should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridrbs should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Belmondo View Post
Roddy MacPherson in the Cooper Bristol, no idea who's in the Austins.
I was at that F2 meeting and I do not remember Austin 7's bein there! Will have to get the programme ouit later.
Old 17 Jan 2021, 10:42 (Ref:4029586)   #4035
bauble
Veteran

England
Quote:
Originally Posted by midgetman View Post
Ah then this must be one of your early photos Bauble.

Are you flogging a dead horse, here, MM?

Very funny.

Baubulus, Maximus Dicus.
Old 17 Jan 2021, 10:51 (Ref:4029587)   #4036
AGD A105/6
Racer

England
SW London
AGD A105/6 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
More Roddy MacPherson and Connaught from Donington 19th April 1981.
Number 10 FF2000 is listed as Jenny Watson's Royale RP27. Nick Mason is listed as the driver of Connaught A number 11, and continuing the Connaught connection, the chap in the beige anorak admiring the 250F is the late Larry Miles, who used to spanner and drive Connaught B2 amongst other things for the Bateman team in the early 50s. More from this meeting later.
Attached Thumbnails
Donington 19-4-81 RodP1.jpg   Donington 19-4-81 RodP2.jpg   Donington 19-4-81 pdk1.jpg  

Donington 19-4-81 NickM1.jpg   Donington 19th April 1981 paddock1.JPG   PICT0239.JPG  

Old 17 Jan 2021, 12:01 (Ref:4029597)   #4037
bauble
Veteran

England
How nice to see historic cars before they were disfigured by scaffolding.

Great shots!

Mind you I do not recall ever seeing Nick Mason in a Connaught, he was usually in a 250F, Type 35, or Aston Martin. (Not doubting you are right, just surprised.)

Bob.
Old 17 Jan 2021, 12:11 (Ref:4029600)   #4038
VIVA GT
Veteran

England
Leicestershire
VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by rbs View Post
I was at that F2 meeting and I do not remember Austin 7's being there! Will have to get the programme out later.
There's a chance I could be mistaken (more than just a chance according to my missus), but that was what it said on the box...
Old 17 Jan 2021, 12:45 (Ref:4029605)   #4039
AGD A105/6
Racer

England
SW London
Nick Mason drove the Connaught again at the Euro Series International race day June 6th-7th 1981, but I didn't catch him in action, only in his 512, seen here with the Willment BRM of Anthony Taylor, and the 312 of Albert Obrist in the Bridgegate BMW Super Sports Car race.
Attached Thumbnails
Donington 6-7 June 1981 NM4.jpg   Donington 6-7 June 1981 NM2.jpg  
Old 17 Jan 2021, 12:55 (Ref:4029606)   #4040
VIVA GT
Veteran

England
Leicestershire
VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Mallett View Post
Been doing some digging for a facebook group and found these from 1983:
Of course Peter, you'd like Rover pictures, here's some:
Click image for larger version

Name:	08 Mallory 1981.jpg
Views:	4
Size:	5.97 MB
ID:	66419 Click image for larger version

Name:	09 Jeff Allam Practice 1980 BGP.JPG
Views:	3
Size:	2.60 MB
ID:	66420

Name:	10 Charles Sawyer Hoare SD1 1983 Donington.JPG
Size:	5.70 MB
ID:	66421 Click image for larger version

Name:	11 Race Start Silverstone 1983.JPG
Size:	5.70 MB
ID:	66422
Old 17 Jan 2021, 12:56 (Ref:4029607)   #4041
VIVA GT
Veteran

England
Leicestershire
And four more:

Name:	12 Neil McGrath Rover 1983 BGP.JPG
Views:	1
Size:	4.98 MB
ID:	66423 Click image for larger version

Name:	13 Charles Sawyer Hoare Rover Practice 1984 BGP.JPG
Size:	4.96 MB
ID:	66424

Name:	14 Charles Sawyer Hall Silverstone 1984.JPG
Size:	5.37 MB
ID:	66425 Click image for larger version

Name:	15 Steve Soper Rover 1985 Donington.JPG
Size:	3.90 MB
ID:	66426
Old 17 Jan 2021, 13:10 (Ref:4029609)   #4042
VIVA GT
Veteran

England
Leicestershire
BOSS F1 Mallory 1983

Name:	01 Iso-Marlboro.JPG
Views:	2
Size:	4.11 MB
ID:	66427 Click image for larger version

Name:	02 Surtees I think.JPG
Size:	2.67 MB
ID:	66428

Name:	03 Possibly a March.JPG
Size:	5.28 MB
ID:	66429 Click image for larger version

Name:	04 A group around Shaws Hairpin.JPG
Views:	2
Size:	5.35 MB
ID:	66430

Name:	05 Understeer!.JPG
Size:	2.69 MB
ID:	66431 Click image for larger version

Name:	06 Iso-Marlboro.JPG
Size:	5.16 MB
ID:	66432
Old 17 Jan 2021, 13:21 (Ref:4029613)   #4043
VIVA GT
Veteran

England
Leicestershire
F3000 Silverstone 1985

I seem to remember going to a few race meetings in this kind of weather.

Name:	F3000 Racing in the rain Silverstone 1985.jpg
Size:	959.7 KB
ID:	66433
Old 17 Jan 2021, 13:39 (Ref:4029617)   #4044
rbs
Veteran

England
northampton
rbs should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridrbs should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
There's a chance I could be mistaken (more than just a chance according to my missus), but that was what it said on the box...
I have found the programme andd the 7's were not there that day. There was an historic grand prix car race but none in that,
Old 17 Jan 2021, 13:54 (Ref:4029620)   #4045
AGD A105/6
Racer

England
SW London
Donington 19th April 81 again, HGPA race, Martin Morris, Peter Martin, Willie Green, Bobby Bell, Bruce Halford, Stephen Griswold.
Attached Thumbnails
Don 19-4-81 MM1.jpg   Don 19-4-81 PM1.jpg   Don 19-4-81 WG2.jpg  

Doni 19-4-81 BB1.jpg   Doni 19-4-81 BH1.jpg   Doni 19-4-81 SG1.jpg  

Old 17 Jan 2021, 14:04 (Ref:4029624)   #4046
AGD A105/6
Racer

England
SW London
Patrick Marsh, Simon Philips and Chris Mann.
Attached Thumbnails
Doni 19-4-81 PatM1.jpg   Doni 19-4-81 SP1.jpg   Donington 19th April 1981 Chris Mann .JPG  

Old 17 Jan 2021, 14:08 (Ref:4029625)   #4047
VIVA GT
Veteran

England
Leicestershire
Quote:
Originally Posted by rbs View Post
I have found the programme andd the 7's were not there that day. There was an historic grand prix car race but none in that,
OK, thanks for that correction, I have altered my notes accordingly (just don't tell my wife I was wrong!)
Old 17 Jan 2021, 14:35 (Ref:4029628)   #4048
midgetman
Veteran

She will have expected it. Wives tend to.

Old 17 Jan 2021, 14:40 (Ref:4029631)   #4049
bauble
Veteran

England
Quote:
Originally Posted by midgetman View Post
She will have expected it. Wives tend to.

I know for certain that his Missus describes him thus "e's rubbish!"
Old 17 Jan 2021, 15:32 (Ref:4029638)   #4050
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Of course Peter, you'd like Rover pictures, here's some:
Attachment 66419 Attachment 66420
Attachment 66421 Attachment 66422
Oddly enough, 10 and 12 are probably my chassis although Dave Price told me they never allocated chassis to a particular driver. Is the Triplex photo from the Brands GP 1980? If so it looks like Rex Greenslade with the Motor sponsorship. He was a journalist for that publication. He finished 6th. The other chassis, No 11(?) won the race in the hands of Jeff Allam. The first international win for a Rover.

So that was 1980 and 1981. The same chassis raced as Sanyo in 1982 before changing to Group A and you have them in that trim so it is probably 1983 at the British GP and you can see the Soperman Rover ahead on the grid. All were run by TWR.