Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Sportscar & GT Racing > ACO Regulated Series

Old 9 Jan 2016, 21:00 (Ref:3603375)   #401
Pontlieue
Racer

Pontlieue should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridPontlieue should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Yeah, even if it has been helped by a holiday in Thailand, that wouldn't guarantee this kind of attendance figures. The interest is certainly there. It makes me feel more optimistic about Asian LMS.
Old 10 Jan 2016, 02:46 (Ref:3603418)   #402
Artur
Veteran

Artur should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I'll be always highly skeptical with the 100k claims but clearly there were quite a lot of people there:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vi9H_iitXQg

However, at least to me, it seems just a bunch of curious people, who probably got free entrance, that looks very bored and this was nothing but a one-time experience, as racing is not something common among them.

Unfortunately, I doubt we'll see those families returning.

I love this circuit, easily one of the best new circuits all around the world(well, not that it would be hard to achieve that, though) and was looking forward to watch some stuff of it. Very disapointed that this is live timing only.

If there is no footage of this, then I instantly care very little about this series. Hope that some teams will upload some private onboard videos later.
Old 10 Jan 2016, 03:01 (Ref:3603419)   #403
TF110
Veteran

United States
TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!
Not sure how sports events go in Thailand, but to get 100k people to a race is amazing in any country. Even if half of them are children and you lose that amount, it's still a huge crowd at 50k. The Bahrain wec race doesn't get a tenth of that.
Old 10 Jan 2016, 07:34 (Ref:3603432)   #404
rich07
Veteran

Australia
Victoria
rich07 has a real shot at the podium!rich07 has a real shot at the podium!rich07 has a real shot at the podium!rich07 has a real shot at the podium!rich07 has a real shot at the podium!
Is this being streamed at all?
Old 10 Jan 2016, 09:21 (Ref:3603441)   #405
Pontlieue
Racer

Pontlieue should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridPontlieue should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by rich07 View Post
Is this being streamed at all?
Last time I looked, there was no stream, just a 50 minutes highlights show for Asian Le Mans Series. Which is a shame, because this series is starting to grow into a serious competition, and I'd like to watch it.
Old 10 Jan 2016, 11:24 (Ref:3603461)   #406
Deleted
Veteran

Deleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by TF110 View Post
You were saying? Even if the attendance figure is exaggerated, the photos speak for themselves. The place is packed. Buriram is a success.
Public holidays can do miracles, I wasn't aware of that.

I just feel bad for the people, showing (and paying) up just for one free practice and qualifying for 17 cars on such wide track, not a single race or support series to be seen because of *we can do this alone* attitude

It also got over 100K for SGT in 2014 (dunno about 2015), more than this actually

Still, admittely the number is very good. But how many will come (or came) back for Sunday?
Old 10 Jan 2016, 13:41 (Ref:3603479)   #407
Deleted
Veteran

Deleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
From the pics stands looked pretty empty at the start, and they haven't reported anything about the numbers for today, so obviously the influx yesterday was almost entirely because of the holiday. Should've raced yesterday and planned this bit better beforehand!

Old 10 Jan 2016, 14:48 (Ref:3603489)   #408
Ospi
Veteran

Ospi should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridOspi should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
So anyway, about the actual race, woop woop Eurasia on a breakthrough win even after a puncture dropping them to last in the first 15 mins. These two chickens are very quick. Race was interesting at the end with algarve and rp going into massive fuel saving to finish the race.
Old 10 Jan 2016, 19:55 (Ref:3603529)   #409
Deleted
Veteran

Is it just me or does this ACO boss have something against the Thai culture? The once again horrendous French-English translation of course doesn't help, but still!
http://www.24h-lemans.com/en/news/as...746_23141.html

PS: those power line/chord messes, I would have to agree that they do not seem safe in any shape or form, but just bringing it up in PR piece seems weird.

It's same thing in many other SEA countries and India btw

Last edited by Deleted; 10 Jan 2016 at 20:03.
Old 10 Jan 2016, 21:24 (Ref:3603546)   #410
TF110
Veteran

United States
TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chiana View Post
Public holidays can do miracles, I wasn't aware of that.

I just feel bad for the people, showing (and paying) up just for one free practice and qualifying for 17 cars on such wide track, not a single race or support series to be seen because of *we can do this alone* attitude

It also got over 100K for SGT in 2014 (dunno about 2015), more than this actually

Still, admittely the number is very good. But how many will come (or came) back for Sunday?
13m isn't very wide, if anything it's about average for grade 1 circuits. Look at Brno, it's 15m wide. And how do you know they wanted a standalone event, is there anything you have to back that up?
Old 10 Jan 2016, 22:06 (Ref:3603553)   #411
Deleted
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by TF110 View Post
13m isn't very wide, if anything it's about average for grade 1 circuits. Look at Brno, it's 15m wide. And how do you know they wanted a standalone event, is there anything you have to back that up?
Average for today's big standards is just what I meant. As for the other point:

http://sportscar365.com/lemans/asian...-asian-market/
"The idea would be for 2015/2016 to have only standalone Asian Le Mans events.”

http://www.dailysportscar.com/2015/0...ards-fuji.html
“Moving on to the races in January you can expect to see a big step forward in promotion at the track when we headline our own race meetings.”
Old 11 Jan 2016, 03:25 (Ref:3603604)   #412
Ospi
Veteran

Ospi should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridOspi should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
The facility deserves more big racing, it's very impressive, up there with the best Asia has to offer elsewhere (Fuji, shanghai, sepang). Track is good as well.
Old 11 Jan 2016, 16:59 (Ref:3603762)   #413
TF110
Veteran

United States
Quote:
Average for today's big standards is just what I meant. As for the other point:

http://sportscar365.com/lemans/asian...-asian-market/
"The idea would be for 2015/2016 to have only standalone Asian Le Mans events.”

http://www.dailysportscar.com/2015/0...ards-fuji.html
“Moving on to the races in January you can expect to see a big step forward in promotion at the track when we headline our own race meetings.”
Right, but the reasoning was not because they are confident they have a superior package or what you made up "we can do it alone". They want to run without a clash against already established series' in Asia. How you going to make a name for yourself by standing on the backs of other racing series?
Old 11 Jan 2016, 20:42 (Ref:3603808)   #414
Deleted
Veteran

In previous interviews they have argued for standing on their own too.

If you are not already a huge series on your own, I find it stupid/arrogant not to even attempt purposeful co-operation with others.

A) Cheaper track rentals (shared)
B) Possibility for bigger crowds that come to see the other series, and check you out in process too
C) Possibility for better TV packages
D) You may get teams showing interest from the other series, particularly if they already have eligible machinery on sorts (as has happened before)

Super GT would be open to more co-op, but I don't think this series cares. Certainly no shared weekends, or integrated races. GT300s are eligible but just on their own

Last edited by Deleted; 11 Jan 2016 at 20:47.
Old 12 Jan 2016, 05:06 (Ref:3603942)   #415
Artur
Veteran

Quote:

I bet it was free entrance for everybody on free practice/qualifying days. Then, payed entrance for the race and nobody bothered
Old 12 Jan 2016, 06:55 (Ref:3603964)   #416
Jam3s
Racer

Jam3s should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
For those who actually enjoy racing for the racing, and not discussing crowds, there's a shitload of images and videos from the weekend here:

https://www.facebook.com/Asian-Le-Ma...27736/?fref=ts

Race report with great photos here: http://www.9tro.com/events/motorspor...s-round-3-race
Old 12 Jan 2016, 10:38 (Ref:3603991)   #417
Deleted
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Artur View Post
I bet it was free entrance for everybody on free practice/qualifying days. Then, payed entrance for the race and nobody bothered
Nope, Saturday-only entrance fee was 5,5 US dollars (sidestand), 13,7 US dollars (grandstand), or 55 US dollars (VIP). So they were definitely getting good payroll that day with the 100,000, entirely thanks to the holiday. Then usual bust come raceday, but saturday made up for it totally

Last edited by Deleted; 12 Jan 2016 at 10:43.
Old 13 Jan 2016, 02:19 (Ref:3604243)   #418
Artur
Veteran

I don't understand the holiday argument when compared to the race day. I mean, is Sunday a working day on Thailand?
Old 13 Jan 2016, 08:16 (Ref:3604303)   #419
Ephaeton
Veteran

Austria
Between Österreichring and Nordschleife
Ephaeton should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridEphaeton should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridEphaeton should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridEphaeton should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
I don't understand the argument itself, holiday or not. Fact is, they drew a crowd. If you say, it was because of the holiday only, well then, wise scheduling. It also seemed like good weather, why not blame this for a successful day for the event? These people visiting could have done something else with their free time, just as on any other day. A few of them chose to check out the AsLMS.
Let's hope a few more will continue doing so, I want to see the AsLMS succeed.
Old 13 Jan 2016, 11:16 (Ref:3604339)   #420
Jam3s
Racer

Jam3s should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
It will succeed as long as they stop conflicting the schedule with ELMS/WEC. All these soon to be redundant P2's floating around, I doubt many want to see their investments idle in a warehouse.
Old 13 Jan 2016, 13:23 (Ref:3604368)   #421
Deleted
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Artur View Post
I don't understand the holiday argument when compared to the race day. I mean, is Sunday a working day on Thailand?
Saturday is normally a working day in Thailand, but this particular day was National Childrens Day public holiday, so many took advantage of it and took their kids out. Sunday was just regular Sunday, and was bust (many who saw sat probably weren't enhanced either)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ephaeton View Post
I don't understand the argument itself, holiday or not. Fact is, they drew a crowd. If you say, it was because of the holiday only, well then, wise scheduling. It also seemed like good weather, why not blame this for a successful day for the event? These people visiting could have done something else with their free time, just as on any other day. A few of them chose to check out the AsLMS.
Let's hope a few more will continue doing so, I want to see the AsLMS succeed.
Wise scheduling would've been to have friday-saturday weekend and have racing for the people. Or at the very least those support series
Old 13 Jan 2016, 23:09 (Ref:3604556)   #422
Deleted
Veteran

There ARE couple of support series at Sepang finale, so it's bit better there.

This particular Sunday of 24/1 is also public holiday in Malaysia (certain states anyway) upon checking, so maybe something positive there as well.

Old 15 Jan 2016, 09:37 (Ref:3604984)   #423
Artur
Veteran

Chiana, there was at least 1 support race at Buriram, although an amateur one. They raced on saturday and sunday:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Re-axv-Xo78

Btw, do you like these grid girls?
Old 15 Jan 2016, 10:44 (Ref:3605002)   #424
rich07
Veteran

Australia
Victoria
rich07 has a real shot at the podium!rich07 has a real shot at the podium!rich07 has a real shot at the podium!rich07 has a real shot at the podium!rich07 has a real shot at the podium!
The girl on the right of the first pic looks bored, 'I can't wait until the endurance season proper starts at Dubai next week'
Old 15 Jan 2016, 11:07 (Ref:3605010)   #425
Deleted
Veteran

It's all an act anyway so I don't care if they're boredly waiting for the payday, but in any case, yes I do like em not that I see the relevance, but fine excuse regardless to show em here :P

And guess there was some series then, whatever that was.

BTW rich, the real season starts from the February ACO press conference, for me anyway.