Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 30 Sep 2023, 16:34 (Ref:4178878)   #401
S griffin
Veteran

S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!
He’s still got it, but it isn’t looking good compared to Max. But it does show how well Max has done this year. Checo just needs to find another, because if anything happens to Max, they’ll be relying on him.
Old 30 Sep 2023, 21:18 (Ref:4179016)   #402
E.B
Veteran

United Kingdom
About 7kms East of Albert Park Melbourne
E.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by Akrapovic View Post
His season has indeed imploded, but there's a bit of F1 perspective going on with it. Because you can look at his season and completely flip it around too:

He is currently sitting second in the championship, and is poised to give RBR its first ever 1-2 in the drivers championship - something they didn't manage even at the height of the Vettel dominance. It's safe to say his downfall begun at Monaco, 11 races ago. But in those 11 races, he has extended his second place in the championship 7 times out of the 11. And of the 4 times he didn't, one of them was Singapore where the car was no where.

He's still on for the best result ever for an RBR number 2. For a season that's imploded, helping achieve RBRs best ever result is pretty good.
I think also that Sergio's downfall is that he and Max seem to like a different behaving car. At the beginning of the season Sergio was more comfortable with the car, but as the season has progressed RB have obviously (rightfully) developed and updated the car to suit Max, and the side effect of that has been the car is now much less suited to Sergio's style, and is now a car he is not comfortable with. Either Sergio needs to adapt his style more towards Max's (not easy after over a decade developing and honing the style you have).... or perhaps Red Bull need to get a driver who likes a nervous tail happy car such as that which Max thrives on.
Old 30 Sep 2023, 22:10 (Ref:4179032)   #403
chunterer
Race Official
Veteran

chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by E.B View Post
I think also that Sergio's downfall is that he and Max seem to like a different behaving car. At the beginning of the season Sergio was more comfortable with the car, but as the season has progressed RB have obviously (rightfully) developed and updated the car to suit Max, and the side effect of that has been the car is now much less suited to Sergio's style, and is now a car he is not comfortable with. Either Sergio needs to adapt his style more towards Max's (not easy after over a decade developing and honing the style you have).... or perhaps Red Bull need to get a driver who likes a nervous tail happy car such as that which Max thrives on.
Trouble is there ain't ever many of those!
Old 1 Oct 2023, 08:07 (Ref:4179104)   #404
Mike Harte
Veteran

United Kingdom
W. Yorkshire
Mike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by E.B View Post

Isn't this the history of modern F1, Chris; so many teams have built their cars around the lead driver which has often severely disadvantaged the second driver. The only time that this didn't affect the second driver was in the case of Mercedes when the pairing was Hamilton and Rosberg.

Well, that's my memory of the past 20-30 years.
Old 1 Oct 2023, 13:27 (Ref:4179127)   #405
chunterer
Race Official
Veteran

chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Harte View Post
Isn't this the history of modern F1, Chris; so many teams have built their cars around the lead driver which has often severely disadvantaged the second driver. The only time that this didn't affect the second driver was in the case of Mercedes when the pairing was Hamilton and Rosberg.

Well, that's my memory of the past 20-30 years.
The Massa-Kimi years at Ferrari was farely similar too.
Old 2 Oct 2023, 17:57 (Ref:4179281)   #406
chillibowl
Veteran

Canada
winnipeg, canada
chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!
so i am of the opinion of why would anyone design a car around their second driver instead of their first/higher paid/longer tenured driver, but really my primary question is more about Max' driving style and was this year's RB designed around his preferences or is this just a great car and Max has found a way to fully adapt to it?

in the papers, have heard both suggested as possible answers and while the answer is no doubt somewhere in the middle but it also then begs the question...has Newey and co spent the last 30odd years developing cars based on who is doing the driving or is he just following his dark arts to their natural outcome and then its up to the driver to adapt to it?
Old 2 Oct 2023, 18:03 (Ref:4179283)   #407
Richard C
Veteran

Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by chillibowl View Post
so i am of the opinion of why would anyone design a car around their second driver instead of their first/higher paid/longer tenured driver, but really my primary question is more about Max' driving style and was this year's RB designed around his preferences or is this just a great car and Max has found a way to fully adapt to it?

in the papers, have heard both suggested as possible answers and while the answer is no doubt somewhere in the middle but it also then begs the question...has Newey and co spent the last 30odd years developing cars based on who is doing the driving or is he just following his dark arts to their natural outcome and then its up to the driver to adapt to it?
Good questions.

While it seems a neutral handling car is hypothetically best, I have always heard that in reality it is one that has a stronger front is really the quickest. I would tend to think that Newey is trying to make the fastest car with the widest operating window he can. And that might end up being one that has a strong front on it? This also seems to be Max's preference? However no doubt this is all an over simplification. It is likely that any driver will have suggestions on improvement for any car and every car they are in likely has some trait somewhere that they don't care for.

Richard
Old 2 Oct 2023, 19:42 (Ref:4179302)   #408
bjohnsonsmith
Race Official
20KPINAL

United States
London, England
bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!
In this Crash.net article from earlier this year, it says Verstappen likes a car with considerable amounts of oversteer or a strong front-end. However, regarding whether the car is designed around Verstappen, former team mate Alex Albon says “I think people get very confused with designing a car around a driver and a driver who’s very very quick and wants a car a certain way.”

https://www.crash.net/f1/news/102399...-very-confused
Old 3 Oct 2023, 08:07 (Ref:4179364)   #409
peebee2
Veteran

peebee2 User had had their licence endorsedpeebee2 User had had their licence endorsed
Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard C View Post
I would tend to think that Newey is trying to make the fastest car with the widest operating window he can.
I would tend to think that Newey is trying to make the fastest car full stop.

Accommodating drivers is really not his natural style.
Old 3 Oct 2023, 11:21 (Ref:4179403)   #410
Richard C
Veteran

Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by peebee2 View Post
I would tend to think that Newey is trying to make the fastest car full stop.
Sorry, can't agree with that. Very over simplified. I am sure he could make the current car "faster" with some side effects such as... increased tire degradation, porpoising, etc.

Richard
Old 3 Oct 2023, 11:36 (Ref:4179407)   #411
peebee2
Veteran

peebee2 User had had their licence endorsedpeebee2 User had had their licence endorsed
Quote:
I am sure he could make the current car "faster" with some side effects such as... increased tire degradation, porpoising, etc.
But then it wouldn't be faster. I was referring to his traditional no-compromise style.
Old 3 Oct 2023, 12:19 (Ref:4179419)   #412
broadrun96
Veteran

United States
broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
No compromise is NOT faster, it's not compromising on his idea. There's a HUGE difference in those two paths
Old 3 Oct 2023, 12:19 (Ref:4179420)   #413
Richard C
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by peebee2 View Post
But then it wouldn't be faster. I was referring to his traditional no-compromise style.
Lol, OK.

Richard
Old 15 Oct 2023, 01:19 (Ref:4181590)   #414
Richard C
Veteran

Not sure where to post this because this rumor article contains a lot of stuff.

https://www.gpblog.com/en/news/24296...this-week.html

With the death of Mateschitz, there is jockeying inside of the Red Bull organization for power and that includes who comes out on top of the motorsports side of things. With it saying Horner wants to run that and he doesn't care for Marko. And apparently Marko's role might be on the chopping block.

And not just in this article, but lots of rumors regarding Perez leaving in Mexico (in which both RBR and Perez have said is not happening). As well as Ricciardo being paired up with Max at RB and Liam Lawson going to AT in 2024.

Who knows if any of this is accurate.

Richard
Old 15 Oct 2023, 01:44 (Ref:4181606)   #415
Teretonga
Veteran

Teretonga is going for a new world record!Teretonga is going for a new world record!Teretonga is going for a new world record!Teretonga is going for a new world record!Teretonga is going for a new world record!Teretonga is going for a new world record!Teretonga is going for a new world record!Teretonga is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Not sure where to post this because this rumor article contains a lot of stuff.

https://www.gpblog.com/en/news/24296...this-week.html

With the death of Mateschitz, there is jockeying inside of the Red Bull organization for power and that includes who comes out on top of the motorsports side of things. With it saying Horner wants to run that and he doesn't care for Marko. And apparently Marko's role might be on the chopping block.

And not just in this article, but lots of rumors regarding Perez leaving in Mexico (in which both RBR and Perez have said is not happening). As well as Ricciardo being paired up with Max at RB and Liam Lawson going to AT in 2024.

Who knows if any of this is accurate.

Richard
If RBR say it's not accurate then it is not accurate. The money tree is not as fruitful as it once was.
By that I mean more accountability and less waste.
So unless something huge happens Checo will serve out his contract or they will have to pay it out.
It is in RBR's interests to get Checo back to the form he initially displayed in the opening four months of the season.
Lawson may sit in for DR, YT, or for Checo at any point of the season and only remain there if there is a reason the main driver cant get back into the seat.
But in 2025? Well, anything could happen.
Old 15 Oct 2023, 07:13 (Ref:4181620)   #416
V8 Fireworks
Veteran

V8 Fireworks should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridV8 Fireworks should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridV8 Fireworks should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by chunterer View Post
The Massa-Kimi years at Ferrari was farely similar too.
Raikkonen fans complain that car handling was more in favour of Massa than Raikkonen, and that was why "journeyman" Massa was largely able to keep up with Raikkoken during their time at Ferrari with Raikkonen unable to reproduce the impressive speed he had shown at McLaren.

There were quite some complaints of Raikkonen being frustrated at Ferrari not providing the steering/handling he requested, and this only being supplied once Massa was injured and thus Raikkonen become the undisputed number one driver during 2009 -- at which point Raikkonen's Ferrari was suddenly handling superbly and was transformed into a competitive machine winning Spa, far beyond the slow Ferrari which started the 2009 season (despite Badoer and Fisichella being very slow in the car, Fisichella being slow despite taking pole position in the Force India at Spa mere rounds earlier)!
Old 15 Oct 2023, 20:31 (Ref:4181664)   #417
chunterer
Race Official
Veteran

V8 F.. Thanls for the reply.

Good points raised whether serious or tongue in cheek.

I guess the same sort of theories apply to Montoya not getting on so well with 'Kimi's' Mclaren, or Herbert/Lehto/Jos and also laterly Alesi and Berger with Schu's Benetton, Frentzen with Villeneuve's Williams etc etc.

At what point does a team denying there is a number 1 driver instead mean that it's up to both drivers to just get on and work with the design or set up direction that has been chosen?

A particularly difficult subject to be clear about!
Old 23 Oct 2023, 07:48 (Ref:4182553)   #418
Akrapovic
Veteran

Scotland
Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!
I feel like the discussion on the second RBR seat is about to get more complex.

Despite his best efforts, Perez has somehow extended his second place in the championship again. He had 39 points over Lewis. It's by no-means confirmed, but it's looking like he'll get it. That would give RBR it's best ever championship result with a 1-2. Despite Perez really not being good enough.

Meanwhile, they continue to market Danny Ric over Perez, heavily suggesting he's going to get the seat. He's managed 3 races this season, and all 3 times he's finished behind Yuki, and in 2 of those, Yuki got points. Danny is sitting 22nd in a championship with 20 cars and is now the only current driver without any points. Yet this is apparently enough to get a seat in the RBR?

Perhaps its time for RBR to look outside of their own teams.
Old 23 Oct 2023, 08:33 (Ref:4182558)   #419
steve_r
Veteran

Lord Howe Island
European Capital of Culture 2008
steve_r is going for a new world record!steve_r is going for a new world record!steve_r is going for a new world record!steve_r is going for a new world record!steve_r is going for a new world record!steve_r is going for a new world record!steve_r is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Akrapovic View Post

Perhaps its time for RBR to look outside of their own teams.
They really don't need to unless Verstappen breaks his leg abseiling or something. But, yes - If Ricciardo is the answer, then please can someone remind me what the question is.
Old 23 Oct 2023, 08:40 (Ref:4182563)   #420
Akrapovic
Veteran

Scotland
Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by steve_r View Post
They really don't need to unless Verstappen breaks his leg abseiling or something. But, yes - If Ricciardo is the answer, then please can someone remind me what the question is.
If they don't need to be concerned with the second car, then the answer is Perez because he's there and not really causing any problems.
Old 23 Oct 2023, 08:59 (Ref:4182571)   #421
P38 in workshop
Veteran

P38 in workshop has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
I believe there are good candidates outside the Red Bull system and neither of the current Alpha Tauri drivers seems to be outstanding.Hard to see a reason to shake things up just yet.There could be some movement next summer as a number of contracts will be ending.
Old 23 Oct 2023, 22:41 (Ref:4182704)   #422
chunterer
Race Official
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by P38 in workshop View Post
I believe there are good candidates outside the Red Bull system and neither of the current Alpha Tauri drivers seems to be outstanding.Hard to see a reason to shake things up just yet.There could be some movement next summer as a number of contracts will be ending.
So what didn't Lawson do in his short stint to convince you he isn't a potential star in the making?!
Old 24 Oct 2023, 01:10 (Ref:4182711)   #423
Skam85
Veteran

Skam85 has a real shot at the championship!Skam85 has a real shot at the championship!Skam85 has a real shot at the championship!Skam85 has a real shot at the championship!Skam85 has a real shot at the championship!Skam85 has a real shot at the championship!
I personally think Perez's card has been marked since the Monaco crash in qualifying last year. But he seems to be doing (just) enough to keep his seat.

The team obviously see more in DR than we do on track, who knows how he would have done in the races Lawson excelled at. He's done nothing special to show he's got the old school DR mojo back yet. Yuki has had a pretty good year I think but he's not the guy to put in RB.
Old 24 Oct 2023, 01:42 (Ref:4182712)   #424
chillibowl
Veteran

Canada
winnipeg, canada
chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by P38 in workshop View Post
Will admit to wanting to see Albon back in there with another shot.
Old 24 Oct 2023, 02:40 (Ref:4182714)   #425
Tourer
Veteran

Australia
Sideways
Tourer is going for a new lap record!Tourer is going for a new lap record!Tourer is going for a new lap record!Tourer is going for a new lap record!Tourer is going for a new lap record!Tourer is going for a new lap record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skam85 View Post
The team obviously see more in DR than we do on track, who knows how he would have done in the races Lawson excelled at. He's done nothing special to show he's got the old school DR mojo back yet. Yuki has had a pretty good year I think but he's not the guy to put in RB.
Too early on DR - he had two GPs before he broke his hand & looked much stronger in the 2nd one but said himself that was still getting up to speed and that Zandvoort would be the race where he'd be fully in gear.

Wasn't expecting too much at Austin and again he's in the same boat - we'll only have a clearer picture at the end of the season I reckon on whether the old Danny Ric is back or some kind of facsimile.

On the question of RBR, personally I think that if Checo can sort himself out (& he looked and sounded much more confident at COTA) then he'll be in the seat next year, as he should be really.