Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Sportscar & GT Racing > ACO Regulated Series

Old 16 Apr 2013, 18:11 (Ref:3235424)   #401
TheNewBob
Veteran

England
Lincs, UK
TheNewBob should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridTheNewBob should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Seen some YouTube uploads from Silverstone - have they put silencers on the 458's this year? Big shame if they have!
Old 16 Apr 2013, 18:41 (Ref:3235435)   #402
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
Lymington, New Forest, England
Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aurora View Post
I'm another one who's not a fan of the latest version of Silverstone, while I can acknowledge the vast amounts that have been spent on the pit complex and the improved run-off areas it still has many flaws.

First of all it's not a great circuit for spectating, as has already been said it needs a vast crowd to have any kind of atmosphere. Also it's not a great track for viewing, the flatness makes it difficult to see more that a corner or two. Finally for me it's lost it's unique selling point, speed. It always used to be the fastest track in UK, with some incredibly fast corners thrown into the mix. Now it just seems to be slow corner after slow corner with just the a couple of the old straights and corners left :-(

If you don't think any of it is quick, I suggest you stand and watch the Audis and Toyotas on entry to Becketts.
Old 16 Apr 2013, 19:03 (Ref:3235443)   #403
Number7
Racer

Denmark
Copenhagen
Number7 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Two things surprised me: 1) Toyota struggling with keeping their cars on the proper racing line during first stints. Somethings with tyre compounds ...?
2) Loic Duval not being one the fastest Audi drivers - loosing time to Fäsler during his entire stint. Not like the Duval we know from Le Mans.
And to be honest a third thing - the amazing speed of McNish.
Old 16 Apr 2013, 19:24 (Ref:3235449)   #404
Gingers4Justice
Veteran

United Kingdom
Highbury, London
Gingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheNewBob View Post
Seen some YouTube uploads from Silverstone - have they put silencers on the 458's this year? Big shame if they have!
Think Ferraris are running very frugally now to compensate for the rules pegged against them - they sound pathetic now in the AM class. Though the AF Corse Pro cars sounded the same still.
Old 16 Apr 2013, 19:25 (Ref:3235451)   #405
Starfish Primer
Veteran

Spain
A Spaniard in Milton Keynes
Starfish Primer should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridStarfish Primer should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridStarfish Primer should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Maybe the Ferraris were sandbagging.
Old 16 Apr 2013, 19:48 (Ref:3235458)   #406
andrewn
Rookie

United Kingdom
Cheshire
andrewn should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I too was at Silverstone for this years race and have been a regular for more years than I care to remember! Sure, the track has changed dramatically over the years, much of it forced by the demands of F1 and, more recently MotoGP. Personally, this year, I found the spectating experience a little better with the new Grandstands and it is great to be able to walk round the whole track, both inside and outside. The new loop is naff and the size of run off is just crazy, but I just avoid that area and I can still find plenty of interesting places to watch and even take pics.

Realistically Silverstone IS the only world class motor racing venue we have and that is able to host events of the stature of F1, WEC, the Classic and a few other biggies. The year that LMES was at Donington didn't really work for anyone as there just wasn't enough room, on the track or in the pits/paddock and nowhere else in the UK would be any better.

Like it or not (and many don't) its Silverstone or bust
Old 16 Apr 2013, 19:52 (Ref:3235460)   #407
eps
Racer

United Kingdom
Buckinghamshire
eps should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aysedasi View Post
I had a great weekend. Thanks particularly to James, Tony, Graham, Ian, Margaret, Walter and Ton. Managed to spend some time with Simon and Helen as well. We also saw Guy, Mal#1 and Mal#2 (plus Guy's friend whose name escapes me!). Great fun, great company, great curries. Bally cold (and wet at times), but worth it.

All I can say is you clearly need therapy mate!
It was me! I'm Guy's friend. Although we were all a little bedraggled by that point..

Old 16 Apr 2013, 20:03 (Ref:3235462)   #408
eps
Racer

United Kingdom
Buckinghamshire
Quote:
Originally Posted by Truckosaurus View Post
Good to see everyone again.

I still think Silverstone is a rather soulless track, and they really need to build a bridge or tunnel across the pit-straight to the 'Wing' rather than running an expensive to provide bus service.
I would suspect that building a tunnel or bridge would cost way more than stacks of buses for everyone. Saying this though, I do agree that a tunnel or bridge is the right choice - they should have put one in when they were building all the new Pits...
Old 16 Apr 2013, 20:08 (Ref:3235464)   #409
eps
Racer

United Kingdom
Buckinghamshire
re : Toyota vs. Audi, they were also mentioning it on RLM that the 2012 Toyota was constructed to have the Hybrid tech at the front or the rear, while they were evaluating it, so it is a compromise. The 2013 car has been designed and constructed with just the rear (?) having Hybrid, so the overall design is much more efficient. Which should bode well, for Toyota fans.

Saying that, it all seems a little disconcerting that they got the tyre selection so badly wrong.
Old 16 Apr 2013, 20:17 (Ref:3235469)   #410
CTD
Veteran

Denmark
Aarhus, Jylland, Denmark
CTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by eps View Post
Saying that, it all seems a little disconcerting that they got the tyre selection so badly wrong.
Which makes me think.
Did Toyota run their "own" Michelins tires or did they still use Peugeots?
Old 16 Apr 2013, 20:19 (Ref:3235471)   #411
dj choc ice
Veteran

United Kingdom
Liverpool
dj choc ice should be qualifying in the top 10 on the griddj choc ice should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheNewBob View Post
Yep. The AM cars sounded pathetic, and despite what everyone is saying the PRO 458's are definitely quieter than last year but at least they still make a good bit of noise and sound good. I'm probably not the only one that noticed but this years V8 Aston's seem to be quite a bit louder than previous years, not a bad thing at all as they sound superb.
Old 16 Apr 2013, 20:27 (Ref:3235472)   #412
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
It was me! I'm Guy's friend. Although we were all a little bedraggled by that point..

Quite true! I knew I recognised you, but couldn't remember the name!
Old 16 Apr 2013, 20:46 (Ref:3235482)   #413
Purist
Veteran

United States
Wichita, Kansas, USA
Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!
Andrewn, I think some are on the verge of choosing "bust".

I'll have a look back, but I don't recall seeing anything that really bothered me on the LMS broadcast from Donington in 2006. Now, maybe, for the Internationals, they need a new pit complex on the straight between Coppice and Melbourne. You could leave the existing pits for everyone else to use, rather like the setup at Road Atlanta.

As for Brands, I'm sure the paddock has been improved since 1986, and it looks like there's room for more stuff going down the hill inside of Paddock Hill Bend. Also, even in the '80s, they had to be able to accommodate 35-40 F1 cars for Pre-Qualifying. The track itself has gotten a recent facelift. So, I don't see why that would be such an unacceptable option either.

The new loop at Silverstone, to bypass Bridge, was in response to MotoGP, at least to begin with.

I'd say Silverstone ceased to be that characteristically high-speed circuit after 1990. Also, I'd imagine that Thruxton has been, theoretically, the faster circuit in the UK since then.

Ayse, the problem is, with everything pushed so far back, and few bridges or other landmarks right on the track, there are EXTREMELY limited reference points to get a great sense of speed. Often, with the long shots they use, it's even worse when watching on TV.
Old 16 Apr 2013, 21:06 (Ref:3235486)   #414
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
Well, I think there are a fair few rose-tinted specs on display in this thread. Heck, I had some great times watching 1000 kms races at both Brands and Silverstone in years past, but I can honestly say I had a darned good time - just as good a time, if not better - last weekend. Yes, I'd be happier if the circuit hadn't been changed so much - but then again, I was happy with it long before the likes of Bridge Corner ever existed. I feel the same about Le Mans - I'd have the straight run down to the Esses back tomorrow, if I could - but I can't.
Old 16 Apr 2013, 21:10 (Ref:3235492)   #415
mattt
Veteran

England
Cambridge
mattt should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridmattt should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
I would suspect that building a tunnel or bridge would cost way more than stacks of buses for everyone. Saying this though, I do agree that a tunnel or bridge is the right choice - they should have put one in when they were building all the new Pits...
Its been posted in another thread about this same subject, that a tunnel was part of the original plans but due to time and money constraints there wasn't the opportunity to build it. And that it will be built at some point - not much use atm but oh well.
Old 16 Apr 2013, 21:49 (Ref:3235507)   #416
Mal
Veteran

England
London
Mal is going for a new world record!Mal is going for a new world record!Mal is going for a new world record!Mal is going for a new world record!Mal is going for a new world record!Mal is going for a new world record!Mal is going for a new world record!
Quote:
If you don't think any of it is quick, I suggest you stand and watch the Audis and Toyotas on entry to Becketts.
Yes I stood there for some time - I think it must,be the closest you can get to the track at any point and the speed they carry into the first left hander is spectacular, although I think the Audi was visibly quicker than the Toyota at that point at most they touched the brakes for a split second and sometime they appeared to take the left then right flat out.
Old 16 Apr 2013, 22:04 (Ref:3235513)   #417
Starfish Primer
Veteran

Spain
A Spaniard in Milton Keynes
Starfish Primer should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridStarfish Primer should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridStarfish Primer should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
My pics from Silverstone, any critics or comments are welcome

Greaves Zytek por oalfonso, en Flickr

Delta ADR Oreca por oalfonso, en Flickr

Lotus LMP2 por oalfonso, en Flickr

Signatech Alpine por oalfonso, en Flickr

Porsche AG 911 GT3 RSR por oalfonso, en Flickr

More here:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/oalfons...264064436/show

I also agree in the necessity of tunnel below the wing. I also expected to find more shops with team gear.
Old 17 Apr 2013, 02:46 (Ref:3235595)   #418
FstrthnU
Veteran

United States
FstrthnU should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridFstrthnU should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridFstrthnU should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
The Lotus and Alpine Oreca, yum.

I know that the weather wasn't the best from the broadcast, but I think finding a way to make the pictures a little brighter would be great for next time.
Old 17 Apr 2013, 06:12 (Ref:3235625)   #419
eps
Racer

United Kingdom
Buckinghamshire
Quote:
Well, I think there are a fair few rose-tinted specs on display in this thread. Heck, I had some great times watching 1000 kms races at both Brands and Silverstone in years past, but I can honestly say I had a darned good time - just as good a time, if not better - last weekend. Yes, I'd be happier if the circuit hadn't been changed so much - but then again, I was happy with it long before the likes of Bridge Corner ever existed. I feel the same about Le Mans - I'd have the straight run down to the Esses back tomorrow, if I could - but I can't.
Agreed, the entry to Tetre Rouge has been changed, for the worse now, it's no longer the spectacle it was in the 90s.
Old 17 Apr 2013, 07:18 (Ref:3235648)   #420
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
Quote:
Agreed, the entry to Tetre Rouge has been changed, for the worse now, it's no longer the spectacle it was in the 90s.
But it is the best viewing point on the track now from the bank on the inside - for those with cameras, at least!
Old 17 Apr 2013, 11:47 (Ref:3235757)   #421
Mike E
Veteran

Mike E will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike E will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike E will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike E will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike E will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike E will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike E will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike E will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike E will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike E will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
But it is the best viewing point on the track now from the bank on the inside - for those with cameras, at least!
I would take the outside of Tetre Rouge over the inside.

Somewhat off topic...
Old 17 Apr 2013, 14:29 (Ref:3235826)   #422
lemansfan
Veteran

Germany
westernmost District of Germany
lemansfan has a real shot at the championship!lemansfan has a real shot at the championship!lemansfan has a real shot at the championship!lemansfan has a real shot at the championship!lemansfan has a real shot at the championship!
http://www.flickr.com/photos/lemansf...57629906839854

Inside from Tetre Rouge is really a good Point
Old 20 Apr 2013, 09:40 (Ref:3236968)   #423
rich07
Veteran

Australia
Victoria
rich07 has a real shot at the podium!rich07 has a real shot at the podium!rich07 has a real shot at the podium!rich07 has a real shot at the podium!rich07 has a real shot at the podium!
Video of GT PRO podium

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sIOFJ0MtxGE

Bruno looks happy and Kamui seems to be wondering if theres a map for buried treasure in his trophy
Old 20 Apr 2013, 18:34 (Ref:3237097)   #424
Osella
Veteran

Osella should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
...was there a complete pdf with lap charts and so on for this event?
Old 20 Apr 2013, 18:49 (Ref:3237102)   #425
Victor_RO
Veteran

Romania
Cluj-Napoca, Romania
Victor_RO is going for a new world record!Victor_RO is going for a new world record!Victor_RO is going for a new world record!Victor_RO is going for a new world record!Victor_RO is going for a new world record!Victor_RO is going for a new world record!Victor_RO is going for a new world record!Victor_RO is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Osella View Post
...was there a complete pdf with lap charts and so on for this event?
Lap chart

Lap-by-lap analysis

Bookmark this: http://fiawec.alkamelsystems.com/