Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > National & International Single Seaters

Old 19 Mar 2013, 13:59 (Ref:3221193)   #401
ptclaus98
Veteran

United States
ptclaus98 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by bella View Post
i think it's a massive gamble tbh, regardless of the quality of the rest of the field. but then again, putting him up against someone as experienced and quick as da costa in 3.5 or taking a big old sideways step into f3 wouldn't have really worked either...

hmm.
That's the problem. 2.5 million quid budgets mean that not all of the top talent will be on the top rung. It creates a logjam and with the journeyman drivers all moved on, the seats are not filling up, so this sort of thing happens.

GP2 should never go international, and they need to take the silly 2 car mandatory rule out as well. It isn't F1, they don't allow the teams to do anything to the cars, so they should adapt with the times. But they won't, because they know that they can do it all over again with a new name and some nice short term concepts and wait for it to implode all while piling up the stacks of money. If only the FIA had the sack to stand up to it.
Old 19 Mar 2013, 13:59 (Ref:3221194)   #402
bella
Race Official
Veteran

France
bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by ptclaus98 View Post
Is Evans a Red Bull driver, or an Arden driver? They already support Da Costa, and they have Frijns in the fold as well.
like what p-matt says, he seems to be an arden driver who's supported by red bull. from a point of no knowledge it looks like a who you know and who looks after you type arrangement rather than a red bull junior situation...

frijns iirc got an offer and told them to go away. don't blame him, it doesn't seem like a great situation when you look at it from a drivers point of view. it's a shame in a way, but only from a "what could have happened" point of view rather than an actual, he turned down a chance of a lifetime sort of view.
Old 19 Mar 2013, 14:03 (Ref:3221196)   #403
verde
Rookie

Brazil
verde should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by ivanalesi View Post
200k EU only if you go to GP2, it doesn't apply for anything else. Hopefully Red Bull will support him more.
Geez, at least it pays the Sepang round, heh.
Old 19 Mar 2013, 14:09 (Ref:3221201)   #404
bella
Race Official
Veteran

France
bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by ptclaus98 View Post
GP2 should never go international, and they need to take the silly 2 car mandatory rule out as well. It isn't F1, they don't allow the teams to do anything to the cars, so they should adapt with the times. But they won't, because they know that they can do it all over again with a new name and some nice short term concepts and wait for it to implode all while piling up the stacks of money. If only the FIA had the sack to stand up to it.
the two car rule i suspect is as much to do with logistics and paddock space that fom will let them have as actual on track and off track money stuff. you can only have one truck, so you can't bring 3, and if everyone turned up with one car then you'd end up with a full paddock and a 12 car field.

i'd love it if the entry was freed up a bit too but then you end up with a whole lot of posturing from teams making "looking at entering" noises and drivers with no idea who to go to for a seat in a series. one thing controlling the entry does do is keep the market pretty clear and simple. there's always going to be shifting around of entries in the background, but at least it's minimal and it's clear for teams, drivers, media and fans too.

totally agree about going international, that was utterly silly. i think there's merit to be had in a big flagship round, but only as a bonus thats fully funded somehow and wouldn't cost more than a standard european round. i think i see why they did it - it does differentiate it from fr3.5 in another way, but it racks up the cost too, and it pushes gp2 either further from the reaches of talent who might just be able to stretch to a gp2 season if it goes well and completely out of reach of the guys who have to rely on reputation, other peoples generosity and a couple of long term sponsors who can only fork out so much.
Old 19 Mar 2013, 14:39 (Ref:3221214)   #405
ivanalesi
Veteran

Bulgaria
ivanalesi should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
If the story about Evans is true, then he should be in Da Costa's situation from last season. He had some Red Bull backing and had to prove himself to become fully supported. Also Evans still has his backing from NZ, I hope Ceccotto brings a bit more to Arden + Pirelli's 200k, but obviously it's still not enough On top of it you have Mark Webber as his mentor telling everybody that Mitch is more talented than him!
It is just incredible... If things stay like this for a few more years, Max Chilton will look like a super star driver in F1!
Old 19 Mar 2013, 16:19 (Ref:3221262)   #406
TR Motorsport
Racer

United Kingdom
TR Motorsport should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Berthon and Ceccon confirmed at Trident, massive suprise Gonzalez hasnt got a seat and i remember someone saying that two drivers who didnt test at Barcelona would get seats, well that has come true with Bird and Ceccon, great predicton from them! I was wrong about Bird and Hilmer but right bout him being bck in GP2. Must say though Ceccon is a huge suprise, though he would stay in GP3 for another year. And Russian Time's lineup is strongest on the grid apart from maybe Lotus GP and Carlin?

And who's going to get final seats at Hilmer for 2013 GP2?
My Predictons-
Varhaug and Razia/Gonzalez

Last edited by TR Motorsport; 19 Mar 2013 at 16:25.
Old 19 Mar 2013, 16:54 (Ref:3221280)   #407
bella
Race Official
Veteran

France
gonzalez is faffing around being marussia's 3rd driver isn't he?

i think ceccon's career has been back to front with the way he ended up doing gp2 a couple of seasons ago, but he must have got a very good deal on gp2 to give up gp3 this season.

that's a scary thought. i wonder what the budgets being offered to drivers at the moment are?
Old 19 Mar 2013, 17:33 (Ref:3221296)   #408
TR Motorsport
Racer

United Kingdom
Quote:
gonzalez is faffing around being marussia's 3rd driver isn't he?

i think ceccon's career has been back to front with the way he ended up doing gp2 a couple of seasons ago, but he must have got a very good deal on gp2 to give up gp3 this season.

that's a scary thought. i wonder what the budgets being offered to drivers at the moment are?
Probs in the region of £1.1-1.6m (Full season deal) now that first round is less than 5 days away. If they only signing for this first round probs bout £200,000
Old 19 Mar 2013, 17:53 (Ref:3221313)   #409
TR Motorsport
Racer

United Kingdom
Hilmer Motorsports seats still wide open, but thinking bout this the other day
Dream Team: field any pair of drivers from this seasons grid in one team, who would you field?

My Dream Team:
Tom Dillmann and James Calado

Thats mine, whos yours?
Old 19 Mar 2013, 17:54 (Ref:3221314)   #410
Go_For_Pole
Veteran

Greece
Athens, Greece
Go_For_Pole should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridGo_For_Pole should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Nasr and Frijns
Old 19 Mar 2013, 18:12 (Ref:3221322)   #411
Mekola
Veteran

Kiribati
Atlantis
Mekola should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridMekola should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridMekola should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Calado and Nasr
Old 20 Mar 2013, 05:49 (Ref:3221532)   #412
Kassai
Rookie

France
Kosice
Kassai should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Well, Dillmann-Calado for me.
Old 20 Mar 2013, 08:23 (Ref:3221569)   #413
p-matt
Veteran

p-matt should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Bird and Frijns. If we're excluding Frijns, probably Calado.

I really don't understand why there's a perception on here that Dillmann is some superstar. He's a very good driver, but there's nothing I've seen in his career that would indicate he's among the 2 or 3 best drivers on the grid.
Old 20 Mar 2013, 10:42 (Ref:3221632)   #414
pauln
Veteran

United Kingdom
Bedfordshire
pauln should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridpauln should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Calado and Bird for me
Old 20 Mar 2013, 10:58 (Ref:3221640)   #415
W.A Trichlorostyrene
Veteran

W.A Trichlorostyrene should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I wonder what happened to Giancarlo Serenelli? Not entered in GP2, and not entered in IndyLights either, despite having tested multiple times for Juncos Racing over the winter. Did his backing dry up?
Old 20 Mar 2013, 12:45 (Ref:3221697)   #416
chunterer
Race Official
Veteran

chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by p-matt View Post
Bird and Frijns. If we're excluding Frijns, probably Calado.

I really don't understand why there's a perception on here that Dillmann is some superstar. He's a very good driver, but there's nothing I've seen in his career that would indicate he's among the 2 or 3 best drivers on the grid.
No, I don't believe i've witnessed anything to suggest that either?

Massive shame we won't be seeing Frijns, that would've been a major quality driver addition. Still we should be thankful Bird has come back.
Old 20 Mar 2013, 13:24 (Ref:3221711)   #417
Hawkwood
Veteran

United Kingdom
Warrington
Hawkwood should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridHawkwood should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Just a note; Berthon and Ceccon are only confirmed for Malaysia according to Autosport.
Old 20 Mar 2013, 16:45 (Ref:3221797)   #418
TR Motorsport
Racer

United Kingdom
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ostrogothicus View Post
Just a note; Berthon and Ceccon are only confirmed for Malaysia according to Autosport.
Now thats interesting, so frjins said he hadnt got money for GP2 Seat this year but did he mean for a whole year? He could slip into a seat mid-season at one of the lower teams maybe? If they both only signed for round 1 then Ceccon isn't doing full season for sure, he probs doesnt have the money,

Possible Ceccon replacements are?
Old 20 Mar 2013, 17:09 (Ref:3221808)   #419
bella
Race Official
Veteran

France
what's the point in frijns doing part of the year in gp2 apart from burning cash? keeping his eye in? it's not really worth it unless you're in with a shout at the title surely?
Old 20 Mar 2013, 18:28 (Ref:3221832)   #420
Mekola
Veteran

Kiribati
Atlantis
Mekola should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridMekola should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridMekola should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid

Quote:
what's the point in frijns doing part of the year in gp2 apart from burning cash? keeping his eye in? it's not really worth it unless you're in with a shout at the title surely?
He could impress as Tom Kristensen did in International F3000 during 1996. The Dane won two times that year, but raced a partial season because he had to step down in order to give place to funded drivers.
Old 20 Mar 2013, 18:37 (Ref:3221835)   #421
Go_For_Pole
Veteran

Greece
Athens, Greece
Go_For_Pole should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridGo_For_Pole should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Well, he doesn't have to win GP2 to be in F1, he is there anyway. Since he doesn't have a full budget, it's much better to take his part season in the European circuits. There will openings for sure.
Old 20 Mar 2013, 20:15 (Ref:3221892)   #422
verde
Rookie

Brazil
verde should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mekola View Post
He could impress as Tom Kristensen did in International F3000 during 1996. The Dane won two times that year, but raced a partial season because he had to step down in order to give place to funded drivers.
Kristensen didn't win races in 1996. He scored a pole-position in Pau with his green and white Shannon car, but crashed during the race.

By the way, that was a really harsh year for him. When Tom was racing for Shannon, he didn't have to pay off a single penny to the team for his seat. But then Shannon Group's owner was arrested in Italy and all his assets, including his F-3000 team, were blocked by court. So the Dane found himself without a car to drive.

Luckily, Shannon Racing Team was being upheld somehow by Edenbridge, owned by Peter Briggs. So Kristensen could put together a good relationship with Briggs and eventually managed to sign on a race-by-race contract with the team. Sometimes, he had to sit out for a loaded driver. But his talent was acknowledged by everybody in the paddock and Edenbridge did everything possible to try to keep Tom for as many races as possible.

Back to the subject, I don't think Robin Frijns could do a Kristensen. Nor I do think he is actually willing so, specially after the somewhat frustrating results he achieved in the pre-season tests.
Old 20 Mar 2013, 22:44 (Ref:3221983)   #423
TR Motorsport
Racer

United Kingdom
Quote:
To give him experience at top single-seater level with complex tyres for possible F1 debut in 2014 with Sauber
Old 20 Mar 2013, 22:51 (Ref:3221987)   #424
TR Motorsport
Racer

United Kingdom
Is it a dead cert someone will be replaced mid season?

since this year we have pretty strong grid and those who are rubbish drivers are signed for the season because of their $$$

Possible drivers waiting to be replaced:
Kevin Ceccon (Trident)- Rounds 1&2 only and then maybe Frjins?

Tom Dillmann- (Russian Time)- I think he is a real talent but said he had a full season deal with Rapax last year and he was dumped half-way through the year so we shall see

Simmon Trummer- (Rapax)- Awful results but has major backer in A3Technology,but is that enough?
Old 20 Mar 2013, 22:52 (Ref:3221988)   #425
TR Motorsport
Racer

United Kingdom
Conor Daly has been confirmed by Hilmer Motorsport for Malaysia, just one seat left, has to be Varhaug doesn't it?