Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Racing Talk > My Track Designs

Closed Thread

Old 1 Mar 2003, 00:18 (Ref:520995)   #401
pirenzo
Veteran

United Kingdom
London, UK
pirenzo should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridpirenzo should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridpirenzo should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I thought i'd make a bit more of the manston circuit. So now, all the various possble routes are in blue. I thought the new hairpin before "the loop" would make a longer straight between the two corners. With my three hairpins, it might be possible to push this through as safe, but it is certainly fun.

I thought just the first three turns, then a long straight to "the loop" would be good for Champ Cars. The new twisty alternative route stemming from T2 would be possibly a sportscar, or motorcycle course.
Old 1 Mar 2003, 01:44 (Ref:521046)   #402
Lee Janotta
Veteran

Lee Janotta should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Hmm... Well, you need a Winston Cup or Busch date to justify an oval, I'm afraid, and that one isn't going to be up to their specs for seating capacity.

The best compromise I've seen is Phoenix International Raceway. The lap runs counter-clockwise, _first_ through the infield, then then through the paddock to the outer track, then finally onto turn 3 of the oval and back onto the front straight. Sadly safet modifications to the oval have made this layout almost impossible to run anymore.

http://www.racingcircuits.net/UnitedStates/index.html

I like the new hairpin you've added.

Last edited by Lee Janotta; 1 Mar 2003 at 01:48.
Old 1 Mar 2003, 01:53 (Ref:521051)   #403
Lee Janotta
Veteran

Here's the best I could do with that site, two tracks that are perfectly good on their own, suchered together.
Attached Thumbnails
ovaltrack.gif  
Old 1 Mar 2003, 05:24 (Ref:521137)   #404
Fish_Flake
Veteran

Georgia
The Foothills of North Georgia
Fish_Flake should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridFish_Flake should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridFish_Flake should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
How's this for an oval-road course combination?

There are two pit lanes along the main straightaway on the oval; the wide lane would be used for the oval, and the narrow one would be used for the road course and combined circuits. The wide lane would double as a start-finish straight on the combined circuit.
Attached Thumbnails
oval.gif  
Old 1 Mar 2003, 08:28 (Ref:521201)   #405
pirenzo
Veteran

United Kingdom
London, UK
pirenzo should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridpirenzo should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridpirenzo should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
That's good. Gets a bit point and squirt around T5-8 (clark-fangio)
Old 1 Mar 2003, 08:33 (Ref:521203)   #406
pirenzo
Veteran

United Kingdom
London, UK
hope you don't mind me using your pic Fish_Flake

I would have done this extension
Old 1 Mar 2003, 17:56 (Ref:521527)   #407
Lee Janotta
Veteran

Well, you _might_ be able to get it working if that divder between the pits and track was trimmed towards the right to give the oval drivers more room in which to get off the banking onto the straight. And the pit exit road was moved to the south banking... Every oval series runs their races counter-clockwise, remember.

Not bad, though, not bad.
Old 1 Mar 2003, 22:24 (Ref:521741)   #408
pirenzo
Veteran

United Kingdom
London, UK
This is something I did today. It has the neccessary hairpins, and silly 2nd gear corners. But it also has some very fast sweepers, and no only that it is set in a natural bowl, with the highest point being at turn 11 of the long course. It has three layouts, and the spectator grandstands surround the complex, looking into the bowl.

I really like turn 3. It has a fast uphill entry, and then you'd have to chuck the car into it, and then you go over the brow, and bomb straight back down the hill.
Old 2 Mar 2003, 06:53 (Ref:522106)   #409
Fish_Flake
Veteran

Georgia
Fish_Flake should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridFish_Flake should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridFish_Flake should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
This is another oval/road course I have been working on. The track's design was inspired by Montlhery and Meadowdale, a circuit in Illinois from the 1960s with a huge banked turn to finish the lap.

The road course is 4.091 miles long; the oval, 1.5 miles. The track is 75 feet wide on the oval and 60 feet wide on the road course. The banking is 14 degrees for the first 20 feet of track nearest to the apron, graduating to 28 degrees for the last 55 feet of track. Please overlook the overpass to nowhere, as I have not finished the external details of the circuit yet.

Next time, I'll post a true road course. I have plenty.
Attached Thumbnails
howsthis.gif  
Old 2 Mar 2003, 10:36 (Ref:522209)   #410
pirenzo
Veteran

United Kingdom
London, UK
Very good. But it suffers from, how shall i say, "not using all the banking, which will make Lee_do_this_in_his_next post syndrome"
Old 3 Mar 2003, 16:53 (Ref:523600)   #411
Lee Janotta
Veteran

Well, the Phoenix setup still looks to be the best. Besides, those odd-shaped one-mile low-banked ovals make for some of the best race tracks.

This is in the very northwest corner of Rhode Island. It's completely rural, _but_ it's 90 minutes from Boston, 90 minutes from Hartford, and 45 minutes from Providence.
Old 3 Mar 2003, 16:59 (Ref:523608)   #412
Lee Janotta
Veteran

Dammit!

Cedar Swamp Speedway, BTW.
Attached Thumbnails
stands.gif  
Old 3 Mar 2003, 17:09 (Ref:523615)   #413
pirenzo
Veteran

United Kingdom
London, UK
Cool. I find that monza style arangements work best, and if you contain all the road course within the oval, you don't get much room to manouvre.
Old 3 Mar 2003, 17:40 (Ref:523640)   #414
pirenzo
Veteran

United Kingdom
London, UK
I think this one is my best to date. It should meet safety requirements. The Oval is a strange one. I wanted a short 1.5mile "rectangular" oval, but then i changed tack and it became the odd shape 2.0miler that you see. Could be an interesting one.
Old 3 Mar 2003, 21:47 (Ref:523858)   #415
Lee Janotta
Veteran

CART management was talking at last year's Miami race about extending the inexcusable bad track layout into Bicentennial Park. Doesn't look like it'll happen, but here's what I figured that layout could look like.
Attached Thumbnails
untitled.gif  
Old 3 Mar 2003, 22:42 (Ref:523929)   #416
pirenzo
Veteran

United Kingdom
London, UK
looks good. I imagine that corner at the top right of the pic would be good fun..
Old 4 Mar 2003, 04:03 (Ref:524106)   #417
Fish_Flake
Veteran

Georgia
Curse that stinking arena they built in the middle of the old Bicentennial Park circuit! Nobody watches basketball in the South!

Really, last year's Miami track wasn't all that bad, it was just too short (under 1.5 miles is inexcusable for road or street circuit) and that parking lot section that just disintigrated during the weekend. I liked part of the circuit that went through the park and around the fountain, it was just that excuse for a start of a lap that ruined it.

Anyway, I got around to drawing one of my old sketches onto my computer. It's called Warren Woods, situated in one of the forested areas near my childhood home of Monmouth, Illinois. The track is 2.964 miles (4.770 kilometers) long. There are trees there, but the color I filled them in with did not survive the change in image format well.
Attached Thumbnails
woods.gif  

Last edited by Fish_Flake; 4 Mar 2003 at 04:10.
Old 4 Mar 2003, 04:37 (Ref:524124)   #418
Fish_Flake
Veteran

Georgia
Just smoothing some of the corners out...
Attached Thumbnails
woods.gif  
Old 4 Mar 2003, 08:19 (Ref:524206)   #419
pirenzo
Veteran

United Kingdom
London, UK
You can just about see the trees. That's quite an attractive layout, made better by the smoothing that you've done.

Something about it reminds me of St. Jovite/Mont Tremblant

Certainly turns 4,5 and 6, and 12 and 13 will be great fun, and turn 12 will be a crucial corner for good lap times. I would however have put the pits on the other side of the track because you might be pushed for space in the paddock, with little room to expand.
Old 4 Mar 2003, 23:33 (Ref:525050)   #420
Lee Janotta
Veteran

I like it a lot! But I'd just go straight on at turn 1 and bend it in to turn 4, that complex is just way too slow.

Other than that, fantastic!
Old 5 Mar 2003, 07:43 (Ref:525317)   #421
pirenzo
Veteran

United Kingdom
London, UK
I don't know, it'd kinda ruin t4. I like it the way it is to be honest. At 2.9 miles, that bit ain't all that slow
Old 5 Mar 2003, 14:59 (Ref:525712)   #422
Lee Janotta
Veteran

Well, you could just run the road through and let promoters decide, like the Melbourne hairpin at Donnington.
Old 5 Mar 2003, 17:47 (Ref:525860)   #423
pirenzo
Veteran

United Kingdom
London, UK
All id do is take out the opening chicane, and move the hairpin more to the south (assuming the bottom of the pic is south), and have a sweeping left hander to open the lap, into a medium straight, and then a good overtaking opportunity at the hairpin, with an equally long straight going back to the current t4
Old 5 Mar 2003, 17:48 (Ref:525863)   #424
pirenzo
Veteran

United Kingdom
London, UK
Had a thought

We've been very critical of Fish Flakes tracks, maybe we ought to look at ours more closely
Old 5 Mar 2003, 20:12 (Ref:525987)   #425
Chaynes321
Veteran

England
London
Chaynes321 has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
My New Track...

Sorry guys been away in Canada a while...

I have added to this one 3 suggestable alterations to the orginal layout;
Which do you think is the best one, or would you use all 3?
Attached Thumbnails
1.jpg