Home  
Site Partners: Veloce Books OldRacingCars.com  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Historic Racing & Motorsport History > The Chassis History Archive

Old 6 Sep 2007, 00:18 (Ref:2004766)   #401
Andrew Fellowes
Veteran

Australia
Tamborine Mountain, Qld. Australia
Andrew Fellowes should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Ready to go home after a water pipe came off with nasty result.

Andrew
Old 6 Sep 2007, 06:28 (Ref:2004846)   #402
Bryan Miller
Veteran

Bryan Miller should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Pantah,

Your car would be correctly called a March bodied Brabham BT ??.

I refer to mine when asked questions at Historic meetings as a BT35 Brabham / Atlantic re-engined to F2 specs in period.

Re. Bob Sellix Brabham , only time may tell , it may well have been done in 1972 for the Brambillas as Ron T. may not have had/been able to supply a BT30 chassis or a BT36 and the only option was a BT35 they had on the shelf , remember we are now in Bernie ownership times and monocoque BT38s from Geoff Ferris's pen , Brambillas may have been going to use it and changed their mind, alternatively , it may have been done ten years ago putting together all the usable bits from the BT30 into the BT35 frame , someday the full story may emerge.
Or even another of many things that could have happened , Ron T. couldn't assist , tells them to get in touch with Arch Motors to fix old frame and Arch says '' can we do you a deal '' the 30 frame is stuffed , can't fix , but we happen to have a new BT35 frame on the shelf , how about a hundred quid cash , or any number of other options.

Bryan.
Old 6 Sep 2007, 07:21 (Ref:2004869)   #403
allenbrown
OldRacingCars.com
Veteran

allenbrown should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridallenbrown should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Should the new car get a mention under the BT30-21 heading? Something about its history requiring further research?
Old 6 Sep 2007, 12:35 (Ref:2005146)   #404
phdm
Racer

Belgium
Liège
phdm should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I thinks this looks like the Sepp Mayer's car which IIRC was covered in the BT30 thread
Old 7 Sep 2007, 10:25 (Ref:2005964)   #405
Andrew Fellowes
Veteran

Australia
Quote:
Originally Posted by allenbrown
Should the new car get a mention under the BT30-21 heading? Something about its history requiring further research?
Good idea will update as you suggest, Andrew
Old 7 Sep 2007, 13:00 (Ref:2006065)   #406
Dan Rear
Veteran

Dan Rear should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by phdm
I thinks this looks like the Sepp Mayer's car which IIRC was covered in the BT30 thread
Did he have extra large driving-gloves ...
Old 7 Sep 2007, 13:16 (Ref:2006078)   #407
Steve Wilkinson
Veteran

United Kingdom
Southport
Steve Wilkinson is a back marker
Oh no!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan Rear
Did he have extra large driving-gloves ...
Dan, football jokes, if that is what the above purports to be, are lost on the vast majority of habitues of this part of the forum!

Old 7 Sep 2007, 13:55 (Ref:2006109)   #408
allenbrown
OldRacingCars.com
Veteran

allenbrown should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridallenbrown should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Don't worry Steve, I'm sure we can fix that. It probably just requires more football jokes until everyone gets used to them.

Did I mention that I used to have a season ticket to St Andrews but after one particular dismal performance I nailed my ticket to the gate in protest as I left? Later on I thought better of it and went back but some bugger had nicked the nail. (Copyright Jasper Carrott 1976, 1977 and every subsequent year).

Another time I phoned the Baggies ground to say I needed 12 tickets for a group of friends who were coming down for the match and ask what time the kick-off was. They said what time would you like the kick-off sir? (Copyright as above).
Old 8 Sep 2007, 15:07 (Ref:2006890)   #409
Bob Slusher
Rookie

Canada
Portland, Oregon
Bob Slusher should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Motor/gearbox adaptor?

Restoration and rebuilding of my frame is underway but I am lacking a few critical bits of information.

I have the loan of a empty FT/DG case but am looking to borrow a local bare block to complete the false running package as to exactly locate the attachment points on the rebuilt rear frame.

Q: Do the Kent, Cosworth, Lotus Ford blocks all have the same attachment points and motor mounts? Can I use any of these bare blocks to verify those attachment points on the frame?
Q: I note the motor to Hewland adaptor plates are offered in 2.00" and 2.25" thickness. Which would be correct for the eventual BDD-G motor planned for the car?

Many thanks.

Peace,

bob slusher
Old 9 Sep 2007, 07:18 (Ref:2007314)   #410
Andrew Fellowes
Veteran

Australia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Slusher
Q: Do the Kent, Cosworth, Lotus Ford blocks all have the same attachment points and motor mounts? Can I use any of these bare blocks to verify those attachment points on the frame?
Q: I note the motor to Hewland adaptor plates are offered in 2.00" and 2.25" thickness. Which would be correct for the eventual BDD-G motor planned for the car?
A: Yes. (FVA/C block will have only 3 bolts on the exhaust side.) You will need spacers on one or both sides, don't put these on 'till you have the gearbox attached to the chassis. The chassis uprights that hold the engine mounting points crack easily if they are under tension. Again you will need spacers between gearbox and chassis top cross member. The better you can match the gap the less likely the engine brackets will crack too.

A: 2.00" I would think which will position the gearbox lugs in the right place for the chassis top cross member but I will check if Bryan doesn't beat me to it!
Old 9 Sep 2007, 09:18 (Ref:2007367)   #411
Bryan Miller
Veteran

Bob,

I have the original adaptor plate for my car , 2.0'' , still available new from Hewland , it would be good if you had the correct cast magnesium eng. mts. then you have to offer the whole lot up and jiggle it around , IF the gearbox sideplates have not been mutilated [ on your borrowed items] you should aim to achieve drive shafts at 90 degrees to the chassis , this may entail spacing the gearbox back a little , my sideplates virtually bolt up as is with a 1 washer on the lhs and 2 on the rhs , setting all this up via cetreline of the chassis etc. etc. if you don't do it correctly as Andrew states things will be preloaded and CRACK., any 116E 125E 701M block will be ok unless you are going to use a BDA then use a 711M block.

You also need to make sure the adaptor plate if not new is parallel , many/most that have been welded are useless.

Bryan.
Old 12 Sep 2007, 15:15 (Ref:2010243)   #412
Bob Slusher
Rookie

Canada
Portland, Oregon
Bob Slusher should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Mounts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bryan Miller
Bob,

(SNIP) ... it would be good if you had the correct cast magnesium eng. mts. then you have to offer the whole lot up and jiggle it around
Bryan.
Thank you Bryan and Andrew for leading me in the right direction. I see cast aluminum motor mounts (tempered) offered for sale but not the magnesium units. Can you tell me, is there a source for the better mag mount?

Many thanks,

Bob Slusher
Old 12 Sep 2007, 22:09 (Ref:2010597)   #413
Bryan Miller
Veteran

Bob,

Source the Alloy units.
Old 9 Oct 2007, 19:19 (Ref:2036186)   #414
kentr1
Rookie

kentr1 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Upright rebuilding

Hello all,

My transaxle diff let go a couple of weekends ago, so it's off to be rebuilt in the next day or so. Sooner or later I'll have a brand new car at the rate I'm going.....During the process, we realized that the rear uprights have a little play in the bearings. Does anyone have any specs or rebuilding info, eg. parts list, exploded view, etc of a proper rear upright, with min and max shim allowances, etc.for the -35's? I might as well understand the fronts too, if anyone has that data.

Thanks,

Kent
Old 17 Nov 2007, 22:29 (Ref:2069831)   #415
Mike Hansen
Rookie

United States
Mokelumne Hill, CA.
Mike Hansen should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Does anyone know the whereabouts of Brabham BT 35 #31 (I think)? I was the original owner of that car and wonder if anyone may still have it. It was located by my late race team partner, Steve Marx but was subsequently sold by his son to persons unknown.
Old 17 Nov 2007, 23:10 (Ref:2069852)   #416
Chris Townsend
Veteran

United Kingdom
London
Chris Townsend should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Mike

Welcome to the forum! I have your old car with Bill Cooper 1973 to 1976, then Tom Smith. I think it is still around, however, as those observations came second hand from an owner, just don't have notes after then. Andrew Fellowes may well do.

Chris
Old 18 Nov 2007, 01:01 (Ref:2069892)   #417
Mike Hansen
Rookie

United States
Mokelumne Hill, CA.
Chris;

Thanks for the reply. I'm really just trying to find out what happened to it after I found this web site. I took delivery from the factory from Charlie Hayes Racing in a rather convoluted deal that also involved Fred Opert. The car had a good history with us during the time that we owned it and I have often wondered if it had been restored after Steve's son sold it. Bill Cooper bought the car from me after a race at Laguna Seca in October 1973 and ran it for a few years. It's my understanding after Bill sold it, it knocked around the Pacific Northerwest Region for a time and finally found its way into the backyard of Pierre Phillips shop in Oregon. But after the estate sale it's whereabouts is unknown.
Thanks again for the reply.

Mike
Old 18 Nov 2007, 03:18 (Ref:2069917)   #418
Mike Hansen
Rookie

United States
Mokelumne Hill, CA.
Having just found tis site, I posted an inquiry earlier today regarding this car, just hoping to find out what had happened to it and if it had been restored. I was the original owner with Steve Marx, who is now deceased. Steve was into vintage racing and found the chassis and all spares, I believe in Pierre Phillip's storage yard in Oregon and purchased the car. I was contacted by his son Scott to authenticate the car, which I did, but have since lost touch with him and don't know the whereabouts of the car. As I was the driver, anybody that would like my recollections of the car's history can contact me at this site. I also have several photos of the car taken immediately after delivery to aid in the restoration.

Mike Hansen
Old 19 Nov 2007, 03:07 (Ref:2070539)   #419
Denis Lupton
Rookie

Australia
Melbourne, Australia
Denis Lupton should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Bt35-31

G'day Mike
Noted in my records for BT35-31 ( 9 June 85) is --
Mr J.P.Derouin
14375 South East Hollyview Lane
Boring
Oregon 97009
Probably too old,but you never know ?
Denis
Old 19 Nov 2007, 03:50 (Ref:2070551)   #420
Andrew Fellowes
Veteran

Australia
I have, "Tom Smith reports in California in 2006".
I'll ask,
Andrew
Old 30 Nov 2007, 00:35 (Ref:2078341)   #421
David Irwin
Rookie

David Irwin should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Bt35-26

Have another car to add to the fold:

BT35-26 original owner Torsten Palm, sweden sold car to 'Lill-Lovis' Stefan Johansson car then ended up with Trevor Needham, France, sold to Walt Pawluczkowycz‎ of Colorado and now with Ron Hornig of Colorado. Ron has pics showing 'Lill-Lovis' on the bodywork.

Ron would like any period pics of the car when owned by Palm or Johansson. We have seen the Torsten Palm race team w/ race rig photo shown at Atlas.

Thanks in Advance.
David Irwin
Evergreen, CO
Old 30 Nov 2007, 01:08 (Ref:2078355)   #422
Andrew Fellowes
Veteran

Australia
oops edit.

Last edited by Andrew Fellowes; 30 Nov 2007 at 01:10.
Old 30 Nov 2007, 09:12 (Ref:2078522)   #423
Chris Townsend
Veteran

United Kingdom
London
Chris Townsend should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Agree with David about BT35-26

for sale in Autosprint 22-29 Jan 73 p. 51 chassis no given, description 'car of Torsten Palm' w. 1972 Novamotor 'nono Monaco 1972' by Angelo Pretolani Milano or Rolf Sundh Stockholm

Chris
Old 4 Jan 2008, 15:11 (Ref:2099326)   #424
Richard Knox
Rookie

Richard Knox should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I have just found this site & what a site it is! Congratulations to the creators of the site!
Re: Andrew Fellowes post 22 November 2006, I indeed owned the Ex. Fuller, Ex. Mike Gill BT35 & kept it here in Trinidad, West Indies. I cannot remember the chassis number ( although I may have it in the archives somewhere way, way back ), but can confirm that it was all white when I got it. I am not sure what the original engine was ( BDA? ), but I got it with a 1600 cc Twin Cam.I had Geoff Richardson ( UK ) rebuild this engine on a few occasions. It had outboard Brakes & Hewland FT200.
What a chassis this BT35 was! It was such a pleasure to drive. It took me to many, many, race wins, a group championship, & a few lap records.
I subsequently bought a BT40 ( see BT40 thread ) & later sold both cars to Bob Howlings ( UK ). I have no idea what has happened to them since.
Old 4 Jan 2008, 21:14 (Ref:2099503)   #425
Andrew Fellowes
Veteran

Australia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anuauto
The Fuller/Gill (believed) BT35. Bryan Mackintosh in Guyana kindly posted this photo without reproduction restriction. The caption is incorrect as we know for sure it was November 72 not 73. Not sure if this is any help to experts for I/D. The tyres look quite large to me and might support that it was in F2 spec. except for the Twink engine (which seems to be on carbs in the photo).
http://img264.imageshack.us/img264/4959/jf72zi3.jpg
Richard may I be the 2nd person to welcome you here, I see Allen beat me to it. I don't know if you have seen all of the posts about your BT35.
May I ask, did Bobby H ship it back to the UK? and if you do have time to see if you have a chassis number hidden away it would be great.
Andrew