Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Baltic Touring Car Championship Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Touring Car Racing

Old 2 Mar 2020, 13:11 (Ref:3961003)   #4251
VIVA GT
Veteran

England
Leicestershire
VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by mark_l View Post
I can already hear Tim Harvey & David Addison saying things like " He's trying to ketchup with the car in front"!
Old 2 Mar 2020, 13:19 (Ref:3961006)   #4252
billy bleach
Veteran

Ireland
Cork
billy bleach should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridbilly bleach should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by mark_l View Post
Old 2 Mar 2020, 14:01 (Ref:3961012)   #4253
antnee
Veteran

antnee should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridantnee should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Hamilton is out testing today. His car has the 'old' rear arch extensions on, so looks like Hard are trying the old setups again.
Old 2 Mar 2020, 14:20 (Ref:3961016)   #4254
porsche962fan
Veteran

porsche962fan should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robshillito1990 View Post
no matter how much money he brought to the table
does he even bring that ?
Old 2 Mar 2020, 14:28 (Ref:3961018)   #4255
Robshillito1990
Racer

Robshillito1990 is a back marker
Quote:
Originally Posted by porsche962fan View Post
does he even bring that ?
Clearly not just a lot of talk and bull**** haha
Old 2 Mar 2020, 14:56 (Ref:3961021)   #4256
Pickles
Veteran

Pickles should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridPickles should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by antnee View Post
Hamilton is out testing today. His car has the 'old' rear arch extensions on, so looks like Hard are trying the old setups again.
Back to the 2017 spec rear arches but obviously still with the Kingston spec shortened wheelbase
Old 2 Mar 2020, 15:02 (Ref:3961022)   #4257
mj088
Racer

mj088 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pickles View Post
Back to the 2017 spec rear arches but obviously still with the Kingston spec shortened wheelbase
What's Geoff doing these days? After chopping up the Hard VWs he vanished only to reappear with Matt Simpson and bought little success. Is he still associated with any team?
Old 2 Mar 2020, 15:03 (Ref:3961023)   #4258
redshoes
Veteran

redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by VIVA GT View Post
I can already hear Tim Harvey & David Addison saying things like " He's trying to ketchup with the car in front"!
"He's all over the Ginster's sponsored car"
Old 2 Mar 2020, 15:18 (Ref:3961024)   #4259
crmalcolm
Subscriber
Veteran

Nepal
Exactly where I need to be.
crmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
How did they achieve a shortened wheelbase?

My understanding of the build regs is that they state that the ROPS design should be referenced against fixed points on the front/rear subframes. These fixed points match the wheelbase of the roadgoing car - which for the CC has not changed from being 2,710mm since 2008?

In 2013, Thorney said this about choosing their model:
'Any car (subject to TOCA specification on doors, roofline and availability in the UK market can be used as a base model but as all the cars share the same suspension geometry, brakes and even a common engine (optional control engine) the aerodynamics and wheelbase are the most crucial aspects to consider.'

Excelr8 described their Hyundai as having 'some properties which suit the [current-spec BTCC] NGTC design very well, such as the overhangs and the wheelbase.'.

If teams can modify the wheelbase of a car why is it an important factor in selecting the model?
Old 2 Mar 2020, 15:41 (Ref:3961026)   #4260
Pickles
Veteran

Pickles should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridPickles should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by crmalcolm View Post
How did they achieve a shortened wheelbase?
I say wheelbase, I just meant the post Kingston cars. I'm not sure where the changes were made
Old 2 Mar 2020, 15:48 (Ref:3961027)   #4261
crmalcolm
Subscriber
Veteran

Nepal
crmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
I say wheelbase, I just meant the post Kingston cars. I'm not sure where the changes were made
Understood. I wonder how much the changes were just to 'sell' the cars as being heavily reworked? Laser Tools are going down the new chassis route.

I'd be surprised if the wheelbase on an NGTC car can be altered. The sub frames are common so a change of wheelbase would need a redesign (and submission for homologation) of the ROPS.
Old 2 Mar 2020, 15:55 (Ref:3961028)   #4262
Pickles
Veteran

Quote:
Understood. I wonder how much the changes were just to 'sell' the cars as being heavily reworked? Laser Tools are going down the new chassis route.

I'd be surprised if the wheelbase on an NGTC car can be altered. The sub frames are common so a change of wheelbase would need a redesign (and submission for homologation) of the ROPS.
Good point, when Kingston got involved the cars were heavily reworked and this was when the revised rear aero came in as well. Presumably with Bushell back they've gone back to the data etc that he'd worked with as they seemed to be making some progress later that year
Old 2 Mar 2020, 16:44 (Ref:3961033)   #4263
crmalcolm
Subscriber
Veteran

Nepal
Quote:
Good point, when Kingston got involved the cars were heavily reworked and this was when the revised rear aero came in as well. Presumably with Bushell back they've gone back to the data etc that he'd worked with as they seemed to be making some progress later that year
Which iteration of Kingston working with the cars are we referring to?

5th Ap 2018 - 'our head engineer Geoff Kingston was really pleased with what we achieved'
11th Jan 2018 - 'The addition of engineer Geoff Kingston to the team (From Speedworks) should help the team find more speed from their cars.'
8th Dec 2017 - 'With the new technical input from [newly signed engineer] Geoff Kingston'

27th Jan 2014 - 'Team owner Warren Scott, who has brought in Geoff Kingston as chief engineer, said'
6th Mar 2014 - 'My engineer from 2014, Geoff Kingston, moved across to Warren [Scott]’s operation just after the final round'
28th Jan 2014 - 'With Geoff Kingston there as our engineer'

Did he do such a good job in 2014 that he had to start again in 2018?
Old 2 Mar 2020, 17:12 (Ref:3961037)   #4264
billy bleach
Veteran

Ireland
Cork
billy bleach should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridbilly bleach should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Is it actually of any benefit to slate this Guy when he clearly has no way to reply. This all seems to be based on hearsay and little solid facts. Where is it defined that the wheelbase was altered ? How can this be do e without moving the subdrame mounts? Seems to me people are getting g stuck I to the Guy with little to back it up....
Old 2 Mar 2020, 17:13 (Ref:3961039)   #4265
Pickles
Veteran

Quote:
Which iteration of Kingston working with the cars are we referring to?
I was talking about when he joined at the end of 2017
Old 2 Mar 2020, 17:37 (Ref:3961048)   #4266
redshoes
Veteran

redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Care were reworked by Willie Poole prior to the 2018 season "to make the wheelbase shorter", that's from Willie himself. ROPS hasn't changed, or at least TOCA's scrutineering sheet shows the same number.

I don't know specifically what was changed. The regs do say the wheelbase has to match the roadgoing car but from what I recall there is a +/- tolerance allowed so there is a (very) small amount of wriggle-room.
Old 2 Mar 2020, 17:46 (Ref:3961052)   #4267
Pickles
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by billy bleach View Post
Is it actually of any benefit to slate this Guy when he clearly has no way to reply. This all seems to be based on hearsay and little solid facts. Where is it defined that the wheelbase was altered ? How can this be do e without moving the subdrame mounts? Seems to me people are getting g stuck I to the Guy with little to back it up....
I'm not slating anyone, just suggesting that with going back to the earlier bodywork that maybe the HARD guys are going in a different direction 👍
Old 2 Mar 2020, 18:54 (Ref:3961062)   #4268
crmalcolm
Subscriber
Veteran

Nepal
Quote:
Originally Posted by redshoes View Post
Care were reworked by Willie Poole prior to the 2018 season "to make the wheelbase shorter", that's from Willie himself. ROPS hasn't changed, or at least TOCA's scrutineering sheet shows the same number.

I don't know specifically what was changed. The regs do say the wheelbase has to match the roadgoing car but from what I recall there is a +/- tolerance allowed so there is a (very) small amount of wriggle-room.
I think I've got to the bottom of it.
The wording of the subframe attachments reads:

'The front axle is Y from the A-post datum point, which is determined from the base vehicle’s homologated wheel position.
Y is defined as X (181mm Front Subframe) + bulkhead connections from A-post datum to subframe.
The tube layout in the area labelled as ‘Bulkhead’ is free, however the design must be submitted to TOCA for approval.'

They also state that 'the wheelbase of the race car must remain within the +/-10mm tolerance of the homologated road car figure'

If the CC's were 2,720 mm when first entered (+10mm road car), then in theory it is possible that 20 mm could be removed from the bulkhead tubing bringing the car down to 2,700mm and still complying with regulations.
This would require new bulkhead design, which would not have been cheap, and something that I would not imagine anyone else doing to the CCs again to lengthen them.

The result of this would be the front axles being further rear in relation to the arches of the body, which explains the need to change the arch aero package. HARD might be trying to get aero that was more akin to the early iteration.
Old 2 Mar 2020, 20:40 (Ref:3961089)   #4269
porsche962fan
Veteran

shouldn't we start the 2020 prediction thread ?

only 2 seats left but unlese one is Shedden anybody else will be just midfiled at best
Old 2 Mar 2020, 20:50 (Ref:3961092)   #4270
crmalcolm
Subscriber
Veteran

Nepal
Quote:

only 2 seats left but unlese one is Shedden anybody else will be just midfiled at best
There are a lot of drivers aside from Shedden who are capable of more than midfield.
Old 2 Mar 2020, 20:50 (Ref:3961093)   #4271
Jay87
Rookie

Jay87 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:

Motorbase selling a car transporter. Could be completely irrelevant of course
Old 2 Mar 2020, 20:55 (Ref:3961094)   #4272
porsche962fan
Veteran

Quote:
There are a lot of drivers aside from Shedden who are capable of more than midfield.
you really imagine some high caliber driver like Shedden in any of those seats left ?

if so which ones ?
Old 2 Mar 2020, 21:00 (Ref:3961096)   #4273
HarryBrown
Rookie

HarryBrown should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Anyone know what tordoff is up to this year?

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6013 using Tapatalk
Old 2 Mar 2020, 21:41 (Ref:3961102)   #4274
Pdh
Racer

Pdh should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridPdh should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridPdh should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay87 View Post
Motorbase selling a car transporter. Could be completely irrelevant of course
It’s completely irrelevant it was the truck the team used doing Porsche carrera cup last year
Old 2 Mar 2020, 22:00 (Ref:3961106)   #4275
Robshillito1990
Racer

Robshillito1990 is a back marker
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryBrown View Post
Anyone know what tordoff is up to this year?

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6013 using Tapatalk
Concentrating on home life I'd imagine. Much more important than the btcc with what happened last year.