Old 15 May 2024, 16:41 (Ref:4209059)   #4376
Pingguest
Veteran

Netherlands
Heemstede, The Netherlands
Pingguest should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Taxi645 View Post
FOM: Perhaps reconsidering the whole hybrid idea, when sustainable fuel make the argument of hybrid moot?:
https://www.motorsport.com/f1/news/f...oise/10611063/
So, Formula One is already considering to ditch the 2026 power units, which are still under development. Talking about a waste of money!

However, if Formula One is considering the re-introduction of normally-aspirated engines, why not going to the old V10's? I never liked the sound of the pre-2014 V8's.
Old 15 May 2024, 17:05 (Ref:4209061)   #4377
Richard C
Veteran

Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pingguest View Post
So, Formula One is already considering to ditch the 2026 power units, which are still under development. Talking about a waste of money!
Is not each move to a new technical spec "ditching" the prior one? Heaven forbid anyone talk about what might happen in the next spec!

Quote:
However, if Formula One is considering the re-introduction of normally-aspirated engines, why not going to the old V10's? I never liked the sound of the pre-2014 V8's.
There is zero chance of them reimplementing a prior spec as is and to have all of those prior characteristics. But it might feel similar to some prior specs.

I don't expect them to neuter some of the combustion efficiencies (and related technology) that has been created since circa 2014, that technology (efficient use of fuel) will continue going forward. Why throw away power?

What does my crystal ball say will happen in 2030?

* V8 (compact)
* Normally Aspirated (no turbo to muffle exhaust)
* High Revving (higher than current, but maybe not setting new records)
* Carry over of highly efficient combustion concepts from today
* Fully sustainable fuels
* Hybrid may remain, but balance of power will be on ICE side.
* Substantial spec dimensions of large portions of the ICE (like today)
* Generally these will be low tech engines

So think something like a blend between 2008-2013 engines with combustion efficiency of today plus sustainable fuel source.

Richard
Old 15 May 2024, 17:12 (Ref:4209062)   #4378
Pingguest
Veteran

Netherlands
Heemstede, The Netherlands
Pingguest should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard C View Post
Is not each move to a new technical spec "ditching" the prior one? Heaven forbid anyone talk about what might happen in the next spec!
You missed my point. I can't remember Formula One ever considered ditching a spec or format years (!) prior its introduction.
Old 15 May 2024, 17:34 (Ref:4209063)   #4379
Richard C
Veteran

Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
You missed my point. I can't remember Formula One ever considered ditching a spec or format years (!) prior its introduction.
Quotes attributed to Domenicali from the article...

Quote:
Domenicali outlined his desire for F1 to get some noise back on the engine front.
Quote:
As soon as the 2026 regulations are defined, we will start to think about what the next steps will be, such as the 2030 engine,
Quote:
It is a personal consideration of mine, not yet shared with the teams, even if we have spoken about it with the FIA, that if sustainable fuels work, we will need to carefully evaluate whether to continue with hybrid (technology) or whether better solutions will be available.
Quote:
While Domenicali did not offer any details about what the alternative options could be
In short, the article is pretty much speculation of people trying to connect the dots. Not FIA/FOM saying they are going in a different direction in 2030. Not that I disagree with the speculation!

What I do think is different these days is that clearly NOT creating the power unit spec and chassis spec at the same time has resulted in a level of "build a car to suit the engine" and somewhat realizing that they may have painted themselves into a corner. So I think we go into the 2026 power unit (and chassis spec) with public realizations that how they have done this has been painful. I think the chances for unintended consequences popping up on 2026 is real. I suspect that when they approach 2030, they will likely follow a different process and more tightly integrate the power unit and chassis spec process to ensure they are more aligned.

I think there is parallels between how F1 is handling 2026 specs and how a non-manufacture team ends up having to deal with non-optimal solutions with respect to their power unit integration. For example Mercedes will use their own requirements to drive packaging for the power unit. McLaren may have little or not input on how Mercedes does that. So their integration might be compromised somewhere, somehow. F1 is treat itself like a customer for it's own engine.

Richard
Old 15 May 2024, 19:27 (Ref:4209077)   #4380
P38 in workshop
Veteran

P38 in workshop has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
I think people may be reading too much into the Domenicali statement.What if he's signalling that it might be a 1200cc straight 4 with a much greater electrical element,all running on renewable fuel?Alternatively,might it be a move to pushrod V8's to interest the home audience of Liberty Media?
Old 15 May 2024, 21:38 (Ref:4209091)   #4381
Sodemo
Veteran

United Kingdom
Solihull, West Mids, UK
Sodemo has a real shot at the championship!Sodemo has a real shot at the championship!Sodemo has a real shot at the championship!Sodemo has a real shot at the championship!Sodemo has a real shot at the championship!
If they have to have Hybrid why don’t they just go back to the basic KERS system they had in about 2009 and revert to V8s?
Old 15 May 2024, 22:08 (Ref:4209094)   #4382
Richard C
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sodemo View Post
If they have to have Hybrid why don’t they just go back to the basic KERS system they had in about 2009 and revert to V8s?
This is basically what I say in a post above (see quote below)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard C View Post
So think something like a blend between 2008-2013 engines with combustion efficiency of today plus sustainable fuel source.
It could be in the same "style" as that spec, but no doubt there would be differences (they couldn't copy-n-paste prior regulations "as is")

Richard
Old 30 May 2024, 20:04 (Ref:4211033)   #4383
Mike Harte
Veteran

United Kingdom
W. Yorkshire
Mike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
The FIA, using a Ferrari at Fiorino, tested a more sophisticated wheel covering this week, and due to the poor results, have shelved the idea. This according to the Autosport magazine out today.
Old 30 May 2024, 22:06 (Ref:4211047)   #4384
Tourer
Veteran

Australia
Sideways
Tourer is going for a new lap record!Tourer is going for a new lap record!Tourer is going for a new lap record!Tourer is going for a new lap record!Tourer is going for a new lap record!Tourer is going for a new lap record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Harte View Post
The FIA, using a Ferrari at Fiorino, tested a more sophisticated wheel covering this week, and due to the poor results, have shelved the idea. This according to the Autosport magazine out today.
Story here from last week's online Autosport (must have just missed the deadline for the print edition).

Good that some common sense has come into play - was always a long shot and brought additional complications in races (pit stops, on-track clashes, debris).
Old Yesterday, 05:15 (Ref:4211074)   #4385
Sodemo
Veteran

United Kingdom
Solihull, West Mids, UK
Sodemo has a real shot at the championship!Sodemo has a real shot at the championship!Sodemo has a real shot at the championship!Sodemo has a real shot at the championship!Sodemo has a real shot at the championship!
Whatever happened to the reduced spray tarmac? This was tested years ago, I recall reading about it in Autosport maybe 20 years back?
Old Yesterday, 12:37 (Ref:4211107)   #4386
Greem
Veteran

United Kingdom
Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!
It's porous. The pores fill with rubber, oil, dust, dirt etc. Then it isn't porous any more...

The surface is also quite weak iirc and would tear up under the forces exerted by F1 cars.
Old Yesterday, 13:10 (Ref:4211113)   #4387
broadrun96
Veteran

United States
broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greem View Post
It's porous. The pores fill with rubber, oil, dust, dirt etc. Then it isn't porous any more...

The surface is also quite weak iirc and would tear up under the forces exerted by F1 cars.
I could imagine given some of those surfaces have been destroyed in testing here in Atlanta with just regular car use. And the city was promised 20 year replacement cycles with every 5 year scrubbing to open the pores