Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 15 Mar 2014, 19:21 (Ref:3379416)   #426
Flavio Galtieri
Veteran

European Union
Modena
Flavio Galtieri should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridFlavio Galtieri should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridFlavio Galtieri should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by henners88 View Post
I wonder how many fans like me watch either illegally or on a borrowed Sky Go and go undetected? There could be way more fans interested than they realise.
I just wondered, because I've never really worried about it, but as far as I understand it watching an Internet stream of Formula One at home is not illegal?

I thought it was the uploading of the copyrighted material that was a crime. And of course, if the server is in a country with no copyright laws it wouldn't even be illegal there?

Anybody got a law degree lol?
Old 15 Mar 2014, 19:53 (Ref:3379479)   #427
LC2guy
Veteran

United Kingdom
Silverstone
LC2guy should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridLC2guy should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by chillibowl View Post
So when push comes to shove, who is waking up early or, in my case staying up late, to watch their overpriced HD quality live tv of the first quail session?

If this was something I could put a price on...well I'm glad no one is asking me for money right now
I'm with you Chillibowl. Been looking forward to it for so long and it didn't disappoint. Now to get ready for the morning ....
Old 15 Mar 2014, 21:03 (Ref:3379625)   #428
VIVA GT
Veteran

England
Leicestershire
VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!
I'll be up early enough, but will have to spend the morning dodging news reports (and the internet) until I get the chance to watch the highlights (which could be even later than broadcast, I am recording them). Having closely followed the build up, and then qualifying today, I think we're in for an interesting race. (I just hope that I manage not to spoil my own surprise!)
Old 15 Mar 2014, 21:11 (Ref:3379635)   #429
davyboy
Veteran

davyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flavio Galtieri View Post
I just wondered, because I've never really worried about it, but as far as I understand it watching an Internet stream of Formula One at home is not illegal?

I thought it was the uploading of the copyrighted material that was a crime. And of course, if the server is in a country with no copyright laws it wouldn't even be illegal there?

Anybody got a law degree lol?
Most copyrighted material requires a licence to USE (whatever the details of that are) so that would mean downloading as well as uploading. If you have pirated access to cable/satellite TV you're technically committing copyright infringement... similarly in the case of online 'consumption'. The record industry successfully prosecuted lots of people who downloaded music illegally.
Old 15 Mar 2014, 21:21 (Ref:3379658)   #430
henners88
Veteran

Wales
henners88 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I think it is illegal to watch what is a copyrighted broadcast whether you are supplying it or just receiving it. If say Sky are charging a large amount per month to receive a broadcast, I'm sure they have the law on their side in regards to person receiving it over the internet in a second hand way and without paying for it. It's not something I would worry about or have any conscience about though really, just so long as I see it I don't care where it comes from.

I managed to watch Quali and all the interviews, press conferences on YouTube. The BBC still haven't put it on iplayer for some very strange reason as it was broadcast hours ago so I resorted to the internet lol. Bernie would hate that and the vids will probably disappear in the next few hours. Good sessions though.
Old 16 Mar 2014, 08:28 (Ref:3380413)   #431
Flavio Galtieri
Veteran

European Union
Modena
Flavio Galtieri should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridFlavio Galtieri should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridFlavio Galtieri should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Ted Kravitz, Sky's "Technical" Guru claims that Formula One cars "don't have sparking plugs any more as they have gone over to using direct injection".

The man should be on children's' TV. If any of you are paying to listen to his crap I would demand a refund.

Last time I saw Kravitz on Sky it was during testing and he was trying to explain the aerodynamics of a Formula One car using a banana and a packet of sultanas......
Old 16 Mar 2014, 08:55 (Ref:3380429)   #432
wnut
Veteran

wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Ted Kravitz, Sky's "Technical" Guru claims that Formula One cars "don't have sparking plugs any more as they have gone over to using direct injection".

Yup heard it too, gob smackingly stupidist thing by far that I have ever heard from a commentator!
Old 16 Mar 2014, 10:09 (Ref:3380462)   #433
garcon
Veteran

Antarctica
Wilmslow, Cheshire
garcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Maybe that has more to do with Sky's assessment of the intelligence of their viewers than the actual intelligence of their presenters.
Old 16 Mar 2014, 10:15 (Ref:3380465)   #434
wolfhound
Veteran

Ireland
wolfhound should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridwolfhound should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridwolfhound should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridwolfhound should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:

The man should be on children's' TV. If any of you are paying to listen to his crap I would demand a refund.

Last time I saw Kravitz on Sky it was during testing and he was trying to explain the aerodynamics of a Formula One car using a banana and a packet of sultanas......
I didn't know F1 had gone over to diesel engines.
Old 16 Mar 2014, 10:21 (Ref:3380468)   #435
Knowlesy
20KPINAL

Knowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Kravitz does seem to be descending to ITV levels again, sad to say.
Old 16 Mar 2014, 10:27 (Ref:3380472)   #436
garcon
Veteran

Antarctica
Wilmslow, Cheshire
garcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfhound View Post
It can only be a matter of time.
Old 16 Mar 2014, 10:29 (Ref:3380473)   #437
aki13
Racer

aki13 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Yep was poor, I heard it too.

I have to say this weekend I thought the whole Sky team was poor.

Kravitz - that example and others of droning on about nothing useful

Croft - He is really starting to get on my nerves. He said in Quali "Why has Alonso gone out on Inters, isn't that too much of a risk" - er..... It is F1 and also if he had taken Pole it would be worth it. Generally he is becoming very dull.
He also is constantly saying things should be looked at by the stewards. Even for simple things where one driver accidently blocks someone else in practice. I mean give me a break. These are big boy drivers you know.

Then also moaning when drivers race each other in practice and Quali to find space. saying along the lines of "Come on boys don't take such risk"

Jeez.

Brundle - Seems less enthusiastic these days

Herbert & Hill - They are OK, but are prone to talking drivel.

Simon whatever his name is - I gave him a chance for the first season, but he really hasn't improved much.

Sorry to sound like a grouch, but I pay for Sky and its really no where near as good as F1 on BBC 2009-2011.
Old 16 Mar 2014, 10:44 (Ref:3380479)   #438
Knowlesy
20KPINAL

Knowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Crofty has always been overrated really.

Brundle has turned into Mr Entitled.

Lazenby - what is he?

Herbert is just there on the lash.

Hill seems bored.

Kravitz is developing early onset Alzheimers.

Pinkham - what is she?
Old 16 Mar 2014, 10:48 (Ref:3380483)   #439
garcon
Veteran

Antarctica
Wilmslow, Cheshire
Quote:
Originally Posted by Knowlesy View Post
Pinkham - what is she?
Maybe we need a NatCam to just look at her when there's nothing happening. No sound, obviously.
Old 16 Mar 2014, 10:49 (Ref:3380485)   #440
aki13
Racer

aki13 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Knowlesy View Post
Crofty has always been overrated really.

Brundle has turned into Mr Entitled.

Lazenby - what is he?

Herbert is just there on the lash.

Hill seems bored.

Kravitz is developing early onset Alzheimers.

Pinkham - what is she?
Yep.

We all know why Pinkham is there. Whether you agree with it or not is another matter.
Old 16 Mar 2014, 11:13 (Ref:3380502)   #441
henners88
Veteran

Wales
henners88 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by garcon View Post
Maybe that has more to do with Sky's assessment of the intelligence of their viewers than the actual intelligence of their presenters.
Not all channel hopping football fans are dense, there must be another reason for Teds behaviour lol.
Old 16 Mar 2014, 11:30 (Ref:3380513)   #442
dsg
Veteran

Thailand
Chonburi
dsg should be qualifying in the top 3 on the griddsg should be qualifying in the top 3 on the griddsg should be qualifying in the top 3 on the griddsg should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by garcon View Post
Maybe we need a NatCam to just look at her when there's nothing happening. No sound, obviously.
It's not that good.
Old 16 Mar 2014, 13:19 (Ref:3380552)   #443
luke
Veteran

England
West Sussex, England
luke should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridluke should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Wow I haven't logged into here for 4 years!

I don't really like the Sky coverage.

Whilst technical insights are great. Ted's notebook makes the channel.

I find that they really long conversations out. They over analyze. The coverage is far too long. Too commercial. The post race stuff is the worst with all the camera angles played ten times of the start. Hey the race finished two hours a go!

The bbc had it just right. A great shame the deal came about.

Simon Lazenby is a monotonic boring dry presenter.

He asks Herbert a question or Hill then before they finish he butts in everytime to talk about something else.

Natalie Pinkham well she's ok. I prefer the New blonde lady this year she comes across generally more pro. I felt hiring Georgie Thompson And Natalie was to get viewers because of their looks.

Still the commentary is better than Ben Edwards and DC with his bias toward Red bull and vettel.
Old 16 Mar 2014, 14:38 (Ref:3380583)   #444
maximus
Veteran

United Kingdom
Yorkshire
maximus should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridmaximus should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I think some people are being a bit harsh on Ted, he did correct himself the next opportunity he got. I'm not a big fan of his but at least he shows enthusiasm.
Old 16 Mar 2014, 14:57 (Ref:3380587)   #445
luke
Veteran

England
West Sussex, England
luke should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridluke should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Ted is the best of the sky f1 team. How can you not like him.
Old 16 Mar 2014, 16:53 (Ref:3380643)   #446
bjohnsonsmith
Race Official
20KPINAL

United States
London, England
bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfhound View Post
They are but no one's meant to know, .
Old 16 Mar 2014, 17:07 (Ref:3380654)   #447
Flavio Galtieri
Veteran

European Union
Modena
Quote:
Originally Posted by luke View Post
Ted is the best of the sky f1 team. How can you not like him.
I don't think anybody is saying they don't like him as a person. More that before the next race somebody ought to sit him down and explain how a racing car works.

Preferably using four custard pies and a stick of rock.
Old 16 Mar 2014, 18:38 (Ref:3380694)   #448
luke
Veteran

England
West Sussex, England
I'm more on about how good he is at his job than if I personally like him.

Sure on his live Ted's notebook he makes the odd fimble but other than thst his notebook is brilliant.

He made the mistake about saying the New engine didn't have spark plugs. Big deal, he is probably the only guy that does understand the New power unit yet he makes a small mistake live on tv and people are now going to Say he lacks technical knowledge. What a load off... Lol
Old 16 Mar 2014, 19:03 (Ref:3380704)   #449
S griffin
Veteran

S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!
How is the commentary better than Ben and DC? You can't get better than Ben!
Old 16 Mar 2014, 19:12 (Ref:3380707)   #450
fourWheelDrift
Veteran

United Kingdom
fourWheelDrift should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridfourWheelDrift should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridfourWheelDrift should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridfourWheelDrift should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by S griffin View Post
How is the commentary better than Ben and DC? You can't get better than Ben!
When Martin Brundle moved to Sky I thought he might drag me to the dark side but I have found his contributions less and less compelling over the last couple of years. Maybe because the new environment doesn't suit him or perhaps he has just lost his insight into driving these cars with the passage of time and changes to the cars.

As it is, although I watch all the races live, where doing so on the BEEB is an option that's what I do.

Tags
pinks