Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Australasian Touring Cars. > New Zealand Motor Racing

Notices

Old 27 Oct 2014, 08:41 (Ref:3468991)   #426
BlueBlood
Veteran

New Zealand
Auckland NZ
BlueBlood should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
NZV8s

If you ignore the heavily advertised events like V8SC, take a look at the age of the crowd at the other Motorsport mainstream events (except drifting). They are older and are going along to watch Motorsport as they always have done.
Under 40's use the net for all of their news, many of their purchases and to stay current.
To get this crowd and their disposable income, you need to place a "hook" somewhere they can find it and then have an informative and up to date website for them to visit to reel them in.
A pull out in the paper won't get seen by this group, you can't see a pullout in the herald app.
Old 27 Oct 2014, 23:04 (Ref:3469218)   #427
CDM
Racer

CDM should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Petch View Post
GTRNZ and NZ Endurance racing have no technical rules that ensure any kind of parity so the biggest cheque book wins because you buy the best car and pay for a 'shoe' like Craig Baird and 9 times out of 10 you win, is not promotable and frankly its boring!

Never thought I would say that but there you are, boring, at least from a spectators point of view.
That's odd from a guy who claims to have the best GTRNZ car in the country in his shed & gets a 'shoe' (?) like Kayne Scott to pedal it...
Old 28 Oct 2014, 01:44 (Ref:3469256)   #428
Chappelli
Veteran

New Zealand
Auckland
Chappelli should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridChappelli should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Perhaps that's why he got involved with V8ST...
Old 28 Oct 2014, 02:27 (Ref:3469265)   #429
NZSTfan
Veteran

New Zealand
car heaven
NZSTfan should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Interesting discussion guys

At the end of the day any successful sporting category has to now market in as many possible places as possible. I agree with HP and Socram regarding the newspaper. I am under 40, and I still get the paper, especially when I know there is a motorsport pull-out in there. I buy it because its cheap and often has some good content (albeit often inflamed by journalistic license).

But I also agree with Promax, who I suspect may be of similar age to me? You need to have fingers in ALL pies, and that includes social media with ya likes, retweets, instagrams and all that stuff.

So in my view, you need to grab any opportunity you can to promote whatever it is your promoting.

And Socram, I really wish kids where the same these days as they where when you and I were younger. I remember as a kid, living in England and being football mad, I used to look forward to the once weekly or fortnightly edition of a certain football magazine. Each edition came with a card with a photo and info on a famous player. The idea being that you got hooked on obtaining these cards, and eventually, you could buy a book to put them all in. We used to trade these cards with friends at school, and it was good fun. And I am 38, so it wasn't that long ago. The football stars where my heroes, and I certainly cut out images and stories and plastered my bedroom wall in them! (as well as a Union Jack which I wore over my shoulders when I went to Football matches - its the norm over there) If my Dad wasn't so short-sighted he would have seen that I actually had an interest in cars (one of my first 'toys' I ever had was a distributor cap from an old Vauxhall Chevette (half Chevrolet, half Corvette and half bucket of **** so my old man used to tell me), and I would play with this thing for hours. Anyway, if he had not had his blinkers on and the standard pommy "its either football or nothing else" approach, then I am guessing that I would have done exactly the same thing with motorsport though the 80's. To his credit he did know who Nigel Mansell was, but had no idea what he did!

All I see kids doing now is staring into their phones and mumbling about how hard their lives are......harden up and go outside and catch eels, or steal apples, or whatever.

But this is the modern world and you have to appeal to everyone you possibly can, and that involves spreading your marketing budget as far and wide as possible. But for me, newspapers and the real news is where I read my...ahem...news. sometimes its on a phone, but mostly not.

Interestingly, and off-topic, I hear kids now get bullied at school if they don't have the right smartphone....how crazy is that!

And Socram, I never knew there was an author called Dick Seaman.....I wonder if he ever got bullied at school?

Last edited by NZSTfan; 28 Oct 2014 at 02:29. Reason: .
Old 28 Oct 2014, 03:52 (Ref:3469269)   #430
socram
Veteran

New Zealand
Auckland
socram should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridsocram should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by NZSTfan View Post
And Socram, I never knew there was an author called Dick Seaman.....I wonder if he ever got bullied at school?
Never thought about that!!!! There was a seaman Staynes in Captain Pugwash though...

Good post.

Maybe because our toys were confined to Meccano, Dinky Toys, Hornby Dublo trains then onto slot-cars, it meant we had a narrower focus than today's kids? As you say, most of our time was outdoors climbing trees, climbing all over the scaffolding of building sites and yes, scrumping apples - plus scouts

As a 16 year old, I remember hiring a coach and getting a group of similarly enthusiastic kids from school up to Aintree for the 1962 British GP. Quite frankly, the racing was quite boring from our vantage point. I had no problem getting enough to make it financially viable. I can't see many 15/16 year olds that bothered today - though having a driving licence and a car at 16 was of course totally alien to us.

Today's kids have more leisure options but many are electronics based and they would rather play on X-Box in the dry, than spectate at a wet race track with small grids and poor spectator viewing options - so who can really blame them?

Reluctantly, we really have to accept that as a live spectator paying sport, circuit racing is fighting an uphill battle - which I doubt it ever win.

I think that it will become more and more participant based (BMW E30's, U2K Cup etc.) and like the UK, tracks will see that Track Days with a better bang for your buck than established racing, are in fact also more profitable for them but without the red tape and extra (rising) costs of organised sport.

Whilst I love my involvement with racing, I get almost as much pleasure just doing a few laps at my own pace at a track day.

When experienced drivers say quite openly, that they enjoy racing the U2K cup cars almost as much as their proper race cars, we have a problem. They love the big grids and close racing but it isn't exactly a draw card for spectators.
Old 28 Oct 2014, 06:06 (Ref:3469281)   #431
HProject
Racer

New Zealand
Auckland
HProject should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridHProject should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
I believe there was also a race driver from the 50's named Dick Seaman.

Oh the joy of commentating one of his races.

"Dick Seaman comes down the straight."

"It's been a hard and fast race for Dick Seaman."

"Dick Seaman seems a bit flaccid as he navigates the soaking wet esses."

etc.
Old 28 Oct 2014, 06:50 (Ref:3469289)   #432
mikuni
Veteran

mikuni should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridmikuni should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by socram View Post
When experienced drivers say quite openly, that they enjoy racing the U2K cup cars almost as much as their proper race cars, we have a problem. They love the big grids and close racing but it isn't exactly a draw card for spectators.
I've spectated a 2k cup round and I can honestly say it was up there with the best track action I have watched live. Seeing 40 cars on track at the same time, many of them in close and competitive battles was simply brilliant.

Unfortunately that was the first round and even then, there was blatant cheating which I can't stand. The rules aren't enforced properly and with no real parity it really is only a matter of time before everyone is driving 1800 vtec Integras and other cars that really cost a lot more than $2000 even on a good day.

But, if they run it bare bones and keep enforcing the actual rules, it is brilliant and I believe it could be decent for spectators too. A bit of diversity and good racing is really all that people want, isn't it?
Old 28 Oct 2014, 06:55 (Ref:3469291)   #433
NZSTfan
Veteran

New Zealand
car heaven
^^ ah HP Sauce, you are a breath of fresh air mate!

maybe you should insert (wrong word I know) some of your wit if you ever get the chance to commentate a race again.

I can think of many funny things that that could be said over the PA about the Ssanyongs!

Socram, I agree with everything you said above, except maybe for the 2kCup. I see that series as one to watch for the future as I think its a great starting point. There is also great variety (something I know you are a fan of) and huge grids (also something you are a fan of). My partner told me on the phone just before that the 2kCup was mentioned on one of the FTA channels during the news. She told me it was about the levels meeting. I am overseas working at the moment so I have not seen the article, but, being the petrol head that she is, she has recorded it for me.

I had my first dabble in 2Kcup racing a couple of weekends ago, and I was just awe-struck with how sociable everyone was, the range of cars that you could actually buy for 2k, and also the driving standards. (and also the fact the I finished the race!)

That is why I have opted for a very cost effective naming rights sponsor for Car 24, driven by George Maddever (Civiltrain Racing Mazda Lantis, or Cockroach as it also known). My reasoning behind this is that I believe this is a class to watch for in the future. So I am getting in there early to secure my spot with a top car/driver.

I do know what you are getting at though with your post i.e. if 2kCup is going off the scale, then what is it doing to the rest of the sport? I can see your point.

But its cheap (like the budgie), fun, sociable, interesting, no egos (yet, anyway), and I honestly think that it will evolve into something more prestigious and may one day get some media exposure (HP - I am kinda talking about you here, and your fantastic use of the camera, even if you say different )

Talofa from American Samoa by the way. Crazy hot here as always
Old 28 Oct 2014, 06:59 (Ref:3469294)   #434
pukekoheracer
Racer

pukekoheracer should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by HProject View Post

Oh the joy of commentating one of his races.

"Dick Seaman comes down the straight."

"It's been a hard and fast race for Dick Seaman."

"Dick Seaman seems a bit flaccid as he navigates the soaking wet esses."

etc.
Dick heads the field onto the back straight

Seaman comes last
Old 28 Oct 2014, 07:04 (Ref:3469295)   #435
Blackpearl
Racer

Blackpearl is a back marker
3 tlx cars and 9 tl cars maybe if tkr thing happens. Full entry list is on v8 supertourers site.

Also to the ute guys sorry to hear the news peter Robb was the helicopter pilot that past away in wanganui
Old 28 Oct 2014, 07:07 (Ref:3469296)   #436
HProject
Racer

New Zealand
Auckland
HProject should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridHProject should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
^^ ah HP Sauce, you are a breath of fresh air mate!

maybe you should insert (wrong word I know) some of your wit if you ever get the chance to commentate a race again.

I can think of many funny things that that could be said over the PA about the Ssanyongs!
That's this weekend I'm looking forward to it, although in light of today's events regarding the passing of ute driver Peter Robb the mood's going to be quite somber.
Old 28 Oct 2014, 07:19 (Ref:3469297)   #437
raymond
Racer

New Zealand
Palmerston North
raymond should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nigel TV3 View Post
Raymond, if Motorsport did not have television coverage the level of involvement by Sponsors would be massively reduced... Social media is a factor in Sponsorship but does not deliver the same value as television... I work on a daily basis with Sponsors and Agencies and while Sponsors want an on line presence they realise Television delivers far more bang for their buck, in particular free to air. As you know the new season of NZV8's will now screen on CRC Motorsport and this is with the support of Air Time we have provided. Also to provide On Line streaming you need Television coverage anyway to provide the coverage.
Just reporting what the sponsors are telling me Nigel. Obviously they have a different "way of doing things" to some others.
To add to that, the biggest single benefit that all sponsors seem to want in the day for rides for all their staff/customers. Great fun for all and an ideal opportunity for us to initiate funding discussions with potential new sponsors. TV is part of it, but not all of it
Old 28 Oct 2014, 07:20 (Ref:3469298)   #438
raymond
Racer

New Zealand
Palmerston North
raymond should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:

Do you consider motorsport a mainstream sport in NZ, promax? If you had a child and he said "dad, I'd like to become a professional race driver!", would you accept that and support him as much as if he had ambitions to be an All Black or a Black Cap?
Frankly; depends on the size of the wallet
Old 28 Oct 2014, 07:53 (Ref:3469304)   #439
NZSTfan
Veteran

New Zealand
car heaven
Oh s**t, I was not aware of the bad news regarding Peter Robb.

Sad, sad news. My thoughts are with his family this evening. The NZV8 Ute racing this weekend will have to honour him in some way, shape or form.

Bad news what else can one say
Old 28 Oct 2014, 08:02 (Ref:3469306)   #440
Nigel TV3
Racer

Nigel TV3 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by raymond View Post
Just reporting what the sponsors are telling me Nigel. Obviously they have a different "way of doing things" to some others.
To add to that, the biggest single benefit that all sponsors seem to want in the day for rides for all their staff/customers. Great fun for all and an ideal opportunity for us to initiate funding discussions with potential new sponsors. TV is part of it, but not all of it
Just like to keep the facts correct Ray, and yes I agree with your comment "TV is a part of it and not all of it"
Old 28 Oct 2014, 09:00 (Ref:3469318)   #441
socram
Veteran

New Zealand
Auckland
socram should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridsocram should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Sorry, not the '50s. Richard Seaman was a very successful British pre-war driver and a Google search should fill you in on all the details.

"Richard John Beattie "Dick" Seaman, was one of the greatest pre-war Grand Prix drivers from Britain. He famously drove for the Mercedes-Benz team from 1937-1939 in the Mercedes-Benz W154 car, winning the 1938 German Grand Prix."

I don't think he wrote the book, but it was about him. I think he died at Spa in 1939.
Old 28 Oct 2014, 09:08 (Ref:3469322)   #442
BlueBlood
Veteran

New Zealand
Auckland NZ
Quote:
Sorry, not the '50s. Richard Seaman was a very successful British pre-war driver and a Google search should fill you in on all the details.

"Richard John Beattie "Dick" Seaman, was one of the greatest pre-war Grand Prix drivers from Britain. He famously drove for the Mercedes-Benz team from 1937-1939 in the Mercedes-Benz W154 car, winning the 1938 German Grand Prix."

I don't think he wrote the book, but it was about him. I think he died at Spa in 1939.
Maybe you are getting confused with the famous American driver who started his career in the late 50's, Dick Trickle.
Anyway back onto NZV8's, reading through the class lists for this weekend, it appears all classes are missing some cars.
Still looking forward to see most of them go round on the weekend
Old 28 Oct 2014, 10:10 (Ref:3469337)   #443
Mark Petch
Veteran

Mark Petch should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueBlood View Post
Maybe you are getting confused with the famous American driver who started his career in the late 50's, Dick Trickle.
Anyway back onto NZV8's, reading through the class lists for this weekend, it appears all classes are missing some cars.
Still looking forward to see most of them go round on the weekend
Happily not so in the Ssangyong Ute Series, we had 25 at Taupo and that field has increased by 2 more today so that will give us 27 Utes on the grid this weekend which will include an additional female competitor Stef Baigent, daughter of Kent Baigent, plus a surprise new entrant with proven skills is due to be announced tomorrow.
Old 28 Oct 2014, 11:03 (Ref:3469354)   #444
BlueBlood
Veteran

New Zealand
Auckland NZ
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Petch View Post
Happily not so in the Ssangyong Ute Series, we had 25 at Taupo and that field has increased by 2 more today so that will give us 27 Utes on the grid this weekend which will include an additional female competitor Stef Baigent, daughter of Kent Baigent, plus a surprise new entrant with proven skills is due to be announced tomorrow.

Yay, that's super news.
Tell me why they are even on the event schedule for a V8 weekend?
Old 28 Oct 2014, 21:16 (Ref:3469512)   #445
socram
Veteran

New Zealand
Auckland
The Herald liftout is a good informative promotion for the event and hopefully the weather will improve for the weekend. The support classes look interesting (mainly) with a fair bit of variety at long last.

This is in my very humble opinion a well balanced programme with a good range of cars and showcases NZ motorsport pretty well. The entries are far better than some of the so called higher profile meetings of a year or two ago and whilst there are obviously spaces on many grids, (bear in mind the grid limit is about 40 cars in most classes), it is still a meeting worth attending.

It would be churlish and counter productive to mention any class that doesn't rock my personal boat, but this meeting deserves to succeed - and I hope it does.
Old 28 Oct 2014, 21:17 (Ref:3469513)   #446
socram
Veteran

New Zealand
Auckland
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueBlood View Post
Not at all. I wasn't confused as the books were about pre-war racing...
Old 28 Oct 2014, 22:03 (Ref:3469529)   #447
Mark Petch
Veteran

Mark Petch should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
The Herald liftout is a good informative promotion for the event and hopefully the weather will improve for the weekend. The support classes look interesting (mainly) with a fair bit of variety at long last.

This is in my very humble opinion a well balanced programme with a good range of cars and showcases NZ motorsport pretty well. The entries are far better than some of the so called higher profile meetings of a year or two ago and whilst there are obviously spaces on many grids, (bear in mind the grid limit is about 40 cars in most classes), it is still a meeting worth attending.

It would be churlish and counter productive to mention any class that doesn't rock my personal boat, but this meeting deserves to succeed - and I hope it does.
Anther very good and well considered post Ray, I agree that this meeting deserves to succeed for the promotors, they have spent far more than the $30,000 another poster mentioned, as needing to be spent on advertising this meeting through TV, Radio and the Herald, todays suppliment is not cheap I know exactly what it costs and how difficult it is to do a deal with the Herald believe me.

Whilst the Ssangyong ute series does not " Rock my boat" in a personal sense, I am deriving a great deal of pleasure out of being involved with Rick and Deon Coopers commitment to helping aspiring young race cars drivers like Faine Maniapoto, Chelsea Herbert, Cory Holmes, Blake Harris etc, realizing their dreams.

There has never ever been a more affordable National category of motor racing in New Zealand, and I am exceptionally proud of having not 1 or 2 girls racing in the Series, but this weekend 5 girls and more than likely a 6th at Pukekohe.

We all know that Christine Orr can drive at the top level of single seater racing in New Zealand, so Christina is a great bench mark for the other girls.

Its not the utes that excite me its the young drivers peddling them and listening to the excitement that they are all sharing at the end of each race.

Makes it all worth getting out of bed these day's, in the twilight of my career in the sport.
Old 29 Oct 2014, 02:51 (Ref:3469590)   #448
NZSTfan
Veteran

New Zealand
car heaven
Racing is racing at the end the day, and they put on a good show (which they did at Taupo), then I am happy.

Socram, no weather worries this weekend methinks might be a bit of light rain from mid Friday to late Friday, but other than that I think it should be good as we move from a disturbed westerly flow, to a NW'er as a cold front approaches the North island, which is scheduled to hit on Monday. We may even see the sun on Sunday, which would make a change!
Old 29 Oct 2014, 03:08 (Ref:3469592)   #449
pukekoheracer
Racer

pukekoheracer should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Latest update for this Weekend.

http://www.speedcafe.com/2014/10/29/...dy-nzv8-debut/

Only 3 TLX and 12 cars in total in NZV8, and 13 ST Entered.

TLX numbers down 50% on one of last weeks Posts.

I hear Bairdo is Entered in a TL car. Should be interesting in more ways than one
Old 29 Oct 2014, 06:08 (Ref:3469611)   #450
chevyfire53
Rookie

chevyfire53 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by pukekoheracer View Post
Latest update for this Weekend.

http://www.speedcafe.com/2014/10/29/...dy-nzv8-debut/

Only 3 TLX and 12 cars in total in NZV8, and 13 ST Entered.

TLX numbers down 50% on one of last weeks Posts.

I hear Bairdo is Entered in a TL car. Should be interesting in more ways than one

Why does it sound like a surprise that Craig is in a TL? He has always been running in one and great to have him out there.

Another car and another legend racing which is great for all the other drivers because it gives them a chance to not only race against but also learn from one of the countries best peddlers.

This weekend should be great.

And as much as the Korean utes don't excite me and the TV coverage show that they all fall into single file after the second lap but good on the young ones getting into it. Still it's considered a cheap entry into Motorsport... The only ones calling it cheap don't have to fork out an average persons salary to go racing. If it was cheap then anyone could do it. I think you would struggle to find someone who has an interest in Motorsport but is on an average income that could afford to do it. Compare it to V8ST then yeah I guess it is a cheap form of Motorsport.

I still think there is a market for a entry level series that you pay to lease a car for two years and you only get two years before moving on. Needs to be cheap and affordable. Someone like Mr. Quinn should look at it.