Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Racing Talk > My Track Designs

Closed Thread

Old 5 Mar 2003, 21:15 (Ref:526018)   #426
Lee Janotta
Veteran

Lee Janotta should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Well, that's why we need this thread back in a high-traffic area, so we can get feedback!

Fish_Flake's are really interesting, though.
Old 5 Mar 2003, 21:21 (Ref:526026)   #427
pirenzo
Veteran

United Kingdom
London, UK
pirenzo should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridpirenzo should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridpirenzo should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Agreed, best thought out, best drawn, best layouts.
Old 5 Mar 2003, 21:52 (Ref:526071)   #428
Fish_Flake
Veteran

Georgia
The Foothills of North Georgia
Fish_Flake should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridFish_Flake should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridFish_Flake should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Why, I'm flattered you to seem to be so concerned with my work. The story is, I sketched the layout from the last turn. I made it to what is Turn 6, and I hit a snag. I didn't know how to start the circuit. I tried first to make a sort of long, parabolic corner at T1, but I decided that it was too predictable and too similar to T12. I then extended the pit straight and went straight past T5 and made a hairpin. I hated that, it ruined the aesthetic value of the circuit. That was my problem: Everything I did to T1 was a right turn. I got to thinking, why can't I turn left? So I did. In case I forgot to mention it, T1 to T3 is all downhill.
Old 5 Mar 2003, 22:08 (Ref:526080)   #429
pirenzo
Veteran

United Kingdom
London, UK
pirenzo should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridpirenzo should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridpirenzo should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I think it's fine Fish.

Here is anothor of mine, it's called...well, i don't know.
Old 5 Mar 2003, 22:16 (Ref:526086)   #430
Fish_Flake
Veteran

Georgia
Fish_Flake should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridFish_Flake should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridFish_Flake should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
It would be better counter-clockwise (assuming that the track is clockwise). Not bad, though.
Old 5 Mar 2003, 22:22 (Ref:526089)   #431
pirenzo
Veteran

United Kingdom
London, UK
I just did it in two minutes. Problem is, clockwise is kinda standard in Europe, and even more so in the UK, we do everything either back to front, or a mix of the right way, and the wrong way.
Old 6 Mar 2003, 02:32 (Ref:526243)   #432
Lee Janotta
Veteran

They'll never get through that hairpin, pirenzo.

Here's my latest, Patriot Park. It's set up in a swampy area north of Boston. Inspiration is from the two greatest club courses in the world, Brands Hatch and Laguna Seca.

A lap of the west course is about 2.3 miles, the east around 1.4. I just can't make truly short courses, I guess.
Attached Thumbnails
from clipboard2.gif  
Old 6 Mar 2003, 02:50 (Ref:526249)   #433
Fish_Flake
Veteran

Georgia
Where do you find those aerial photos, Lee?
Old 6 Mar 2003, 03:50 (Ref:526279)   #434
Lee Janotta
Veteran

Mapquest.
Old 6 Mar 2003, 08:01 (Ref:526371)   #435
pirenzo
Veteran

United Kingdom
London, UK
They would get round that hairpin. Anyway, i don't see the inspiration from Brands in that. Certainly the end of the lap would be fun, but the first part i think might be a little dull around t4/5/6, but otherwise, its good.
Old 9 Mar 2003, 07:41 (Ref:529755)   #436
Fish_Flake
Veteran

Georgia
This is the Kane County Raceway, on the western edges of the Chicago metropolitan area. This is the fourth (and best) of my proposals for a world-class road circuit near Chicago. The first was a temporary circuit at the Meigs Field airport, which I did not like (although now, I would have extended the track out of the airport and into Grant Park). The second was an all-inclusive, 2.5-mile oval and road course in the suburbs, which I scrapped after learning of the construction of the Chicagoland Speedway (this was in the year 2000). The third was a 2.8-mile road course in Lake County which I called the "Big K," because of its resemblance to the eleventh letter of the alphabet. I finally penned this circuit as a final design.

I planned this as a two-phase track. The first phase is the construction of the 2.34-mile short circuit, which consists of the western half of the circuit. This would lead to the extention of the track past Turn 4 of the short circuit and a relocation of the pits to create the 3.651-mile Grand Prix circuit. The lake seen would be man-made as earth would be taken from the location of the lake to build spectator mounds, elevation changes, etc. As for elevation changes, the front straightaway is flat. The track is slightly banked in Turn 1 (Enzo Ferrari) and flat again in Turn 2. There is a slight climb to Turn 3 (Phil Hill), but the track goes downhill at the exit, and continues its descent through Turns 4 & 5 (Chicane) and into Turn 6 (Colin Chapman). The short pit straight is flat, but some 30 feet below the front straight. Turn 7 (Mark Donahue) is also flat, but the tight Turns 8 & 9 mark the beginnings of a long, gradual incline that continues through the un-straight back straight, until the end of the back straight is 25 feet above the front straight. Turns 10 & 11 (the double-apex East Curve) are slightly banked, as well as downhill, onto the front straight.
Attached Thumbnails
kaneco.gif  
Old 9 Mar 2003, 11:57 (Ref:529924)   #437
pirenzo
Veteran

United Kingdom
London, UK
excellent
Old 11 Mar 2003, 02:57 (Ref:532347)   #438
Lee Janotta
Veteran

I like it aside from the turn 8-9 chicane.

I've experimented with Meigs field too, I can't really do anything with it unless I can get some purpose-built sections out in the grass, there's just not enough airport to work with. I've got a Chicago track further back in the thread, I'm curious what you think of it:

http://tentenths.com/forum/showthrea...145#post450145
Old 11 Mar 2003, 03:35 (Ref:532365)   #439
Fish_Flake
Veteran

Georgia
I knew you'd hate the chicane there.

Anyway, your Chicago track is good.
Old 11 Mar 2003, 06:52 (Ref:532409)   #440
mac
Veteran

mac should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridmac should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridmac should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
I'm back guys. And this is my latest effort. It is a re-working of Western Australia's Barbagallo circuit. Currently, Barbagallo hosts V8Supercars, yet everyone is always crying for an upgrade. This is what I'd do:

Extend the main straight, making the first corner tighter, and increasing passing opportunities.

At turn 6, the track will run on for a bit, before a tight left, and another passing opportunity.

The new part of the track then features a fast left-right combination, before a long medium-speed right.

After this is a little straight before a long, fast right, immediately followed by a fast left, then a long medium-fast carousel-style turn.

After this turn, the track joins the old (now longer) straight, down to the last turn and passing spot.
Attached Images

Old 11 Mar 2003, 08:27 (Ref:532453)   #441
pirenzo
Veteran

United Kingdom
London, UK
thats a nice extension, fun, and quick
Old 11 Mar 2003, 12:39 (Ref:532579)   #442
Fish_Flake
Veteran

Georgia
It now reminds me of Estoril.
Old 11 Mar 2003, 13:30 (Ref:532633)   #443
pirenzo
Veteran

United Kingdom
London, UK
Nice observation Fish, hadn't spotted that, but now you say it, i really does look like Estoril
Old 11 Mar 2003, 13:47 (Ref:532659)   #444
Lee Janotta
Veteran

Fantastic job, mac!
Old 11 Mar 2003, 18:34 (Ref:533013)   #445
pirenzo
Veteran

United Kingdom
London, UK
Thought i'd do an update. As you probably know, F1 is expanding into the big wide world, at the expense of dome of the european tracks. I really don't Imola to be one of those. But i thought it needed a small overhaul. They were already planning something similar to the last turn, but i thought i'd do a few other things as well. All the chicanes apart from Variante Alte have been eased, one has been removed, the others have been replaced with brand new ones. Tosa to Variante Alte is unchanged, but hopefully the new chicane will lengthen the main straight, and encourage more overtaking into Tamborello. (I was thinking of reinstating a version of the old corner, but i thought that that would never be allowed.
Old 11 Mar 2003, 19:02 (Ref:533078)   #446
Lee Janotta
Veteran

Aww man, now why would they want to do that to the end of the lap?

In my personal opinion, there's only really one way to fix Imola:

Old 11 Mar 2003, 19:08 (Ref:533084)   #447
pirenzo
Veteran

United Kingdom
London, UK
Too true. I need to get that for GPL. But i think we both know that there is no hope of that, however hard we campaign
Old 11 Mar 2003, 19:29 (Ref:533103)   #448
Speedworx
Veteran

United Kingdom
Northamptonshire
Speedworx should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I had a go at redesigning Curitiba. Its now much more of an oval shape, which would give great racing.

It could be used for CART and NASCAR.
Attached Thumbnails
hakkicuritiba.jpg  
Old 11 Mar 2003, 19:38 (Ref:533115)   #449
pirenzo
Veteran

United Kingdom
London, UK
What did it look like before?
Old 11 Mar 2003, 20:34 (Ref:533153)   #450
Lee Janotta
Veteran

Uhm, this is Curitiba, in Brazil.

Not a fan of right-hand turns, are you hakkiman?