Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Barn Finds > IRL Indycar Series

Old 4 Feb 2005, 08:01 (Ref:1217197)   #426
marcus
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

Australia
Australia
marcus has a real shot at the podium!marcus has a real shot at the podium!marcus has a real shot at the podium!marcus has a real shot at the podium!
No dramas , I was unaware of the Foyt situation , I will add him to the list as well
Old 4 Feb 2005, 13:15 (Ref:1217399)   #427
N I Tram
Veteran

N I Tram should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I guess Delta's too busy with Brian.

SO much for Foyt running the road races then, that's a shame. Maybe another team will add an extra car for those rounds to make up for it? I'm still not happy with the loss of a few teams, and the lack of any word or running from Access is a worry, but at least there will be plenty of stars on the grid.
Old 4 Feb 2005, 14:03 (Ref:1217430)   #428
GP Racer
Veteran

United States
"The Big Apple"
GP Racer should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridGP Racer should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kicking-back
AJ Foyt will do the oval rounds of the series, with IV driving.
As far as I've read on his site, AJ will be doing the whole schedule in 05, road courses included.

He wasn't able to do the road course test at Homestead because his cars road course package was delivered late, but not because he didn't want to do it.

Danica Patrick
Old 4 Feb 2005, 16:26 (Ref:1217515)   #429
Kicking-back
Veteran

Kicking-back should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridKicking-back should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Oh!

I saw a quote from AJ saying he wouldn't do road courses - hopefully he's changed his mind.

Good news.
Old 4 Feb 2005, 23:56 (Ref:1217868)   #430
marcus
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

Australia
Australia
marcus has a real shot at the podium!marcus has a real shot at the podium!marcus has a real shot at the podium!marcus has a real shot at the podium!
awwwwwwwwww come on get it right !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

LOL , he may as well do the road races , the more experience a driver can get the better , I dunno about you guys but Im really looking forward to seeing the first road course race this year
Old 5 Feb 2005, 00:06 (Ref:1217874)   #431
Kicking-back
Veteran

Kicking-back should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridKicking-back should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I certainly am looking forward to it too.

Can't wait for St Petersburg.
Old 5 Feb 2005, 12:23 (Ref:1218108)   #432
BootsOntheSide
Veteran

England
Eastbourne, England
BootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Seeing top single-seaters at the Glen again is an even more enticing prospect.

Incidentally, is there any word from Access yet? KB suggests in one of the threads on the other forum that Mark Taylor is likely to stay in the IRL, but I've heard nothing.
Old 5 Feb 2005, 14:13 (Ref:1218169)   #433
GP Racer
Veteran

United States
"The Big Apple"
GP Racer should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridGP Racer should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I havn't heard anything about Access, or Mark Taylor, and his web site is not revealing anything either. Its beginning to get late to. I'm afraid another small team may not make it.

The Carpenter deal is still a mystery to...

Last edited by GP Racer; 5 Feb 2005 at 14:14.

Danica Patrick
Old 6 Feb 2005, 14:43 (Ref:1218785)   #434
jondownunder
Veteran

United Kingdom
England
jondownunder should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridjondownunder should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I'm not sure if it's been mentioned, but I read on another forum that Tora Takagi is apparently returning to Formula Nippon, with an entry under the name "Takagi Planning with Cerumo". Doubt anyone was expecting him to find another IRL ride anyway. Will be interesting to see him return yet again to a series he once dominated.
Old 6 Feb 2005, 14:47 (Ref:1218787)   #435
BootsOntheSide
Veteran

England
Eastbourne, England
BootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
I was under the impression that Tora always said he wouldn't return to the IRL - that Motegi crash seemed to really knock his confidence, and perhaps rob him of that all-important competitive edge.
Old 6 Feb 2005, 14:58 (Ref:1218793)   #436
GP Racer
Veteran

United States
"The Big Apple"
Unfortunately, I think Takagi's dreadful season may have put Mo Nunn into retirement. He was pretty disgusted.

I do wish Takagi well, just not in the IRL...

Danica Patrick
Old 7 Feb 2005, 11:49 (Ref:1219294)   #437
N I Tram
Veteran

N I Tram should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
That's a bit harsh GP Racer; not for the first time, circumstances got in Mo's way. Tora isn't the first veteran driver to lose his nerve after a big crash, and considering how uncompetitive the Toyota engine was he can be forgiven for losing heart.
Old 7 Feb 2005, 13:13 (Ref:1219354)   #438
Kicking-back
Veteran

Tony George has bought the Kelley Racing equipment and is setting up a team for Ed Carpenter to drive, with Larry Curry running the show.
Old 7 Feb 2005, 13:58 (Ref:1219394)   #439
BSchneiderFan
Veteran

United Kingdom
London, UK
BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!
Hmm, series organiser running a team for his nephew; no conflict of interest there, then...
Old 7 Feb 2005, 14:11 (Ref:1219410)   #440
Kicking-back
Veteran

He'll own it - I don't think he'll have any involvement.

No different to Bernie owning Brabham or Kalkhoven, Forsythe and Gentillozzi having ChampCars.
Old 7 Feb 2005, 15:22 (Ref:1219475)   #441
BSchneiderFan
Veteran

United Kingdom
London, UK
BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!
Somehow I distrust Tony George more than I do Kalkhoven, Gentilozzi or Forsythe. Maybe it's just me.
Old 7 Feb 2005, 16:31 (Ref:1219526)   #442
Down F0rce
Veteran

Scotland
Aberdeenshire, Scotland
Down F0rce should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridDown F0rce should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridDown F0rce should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridDown F0rce should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
I wouldn't worry about it. Mr George isn't about to make sure Ed wins every race. Ed will probably stuff it into the wall every race anyway.

Last edited by Down F0rce; 7 Feb 2005 at 16:31.
Old 7 Feb 2005, 16:42 (Ref:1219540)   #443
climb
Veteran

St Pierre and Miquelon
closer than you thought!
climb should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridclimb should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I don't think Penske, ganassi Andretti&co, alongisde with Honda Toyoita etc, would appreciate an intrusion to condition results, and TG can't do without their support.
Old 7 Feb 2005, 16:45 (Ref:1219542)   #444
BootsOntheSide
Veteran

England
Eastbourne, England
Good that another car will be out there, more people employed as a result, and another American will be on the grid. We've been through the 'my series boss is less evil than your series boss' stuff enough before, but it's worth noting that the IRL is subsidising one car, well beyond the minimum for promoters, whereas CART is theoretically subsidising anywhere from 4-8 of its minimum 18 cars.
Old 7 Feb 2005, 16:50 (Ref:1219555)   #445
climb
Veteran

St Pierre and Miquelon
closer than you thought!
climb should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridclimb should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Well spotted Boots.
Old 7 Feb 2005, 21:00 (Ref:1219763)   #446
GP Racer
Veteran

United States
"The Big Apple"
Also remember that TG is stepping down from running the day-to-day operations of the IRL, and has passed on those responsibilities to Brian Barnhart. So technically, he's not the boss any longer. Now everyone can redirect their anger with the IRL at Mr. Barnhart, or BB!

I'm just glad to see anther car on the grid, and another IPS graduate get the seat. Now hopefully, he'll do something with it...

Danica Patrick
Old 8 Feb 2005, 01:26 (Ref:1219914)   #447
boom boom
Racer

boom boom should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Sure TG's new team brings another car and that is good. But to do it now is too late in my books. He brings in another team just for his stepson,,,, he had a poor year and didnt impress so now Tony has to buy a team to let him ride around back and hit walls (I know Iam a little hard on Ed here), but how this team is now made just for him becuase he didn't make it on his own bothers me.
The new team is great but why didnt TG do this earlier, have a IMS sponsered team and have Greag Ray or Sara Fisher, ect( somone who couldn't get enough sponsorship for full ride and still had talent or brought fans to the races) drive for it. They could do apearances and adds with a Leage sponsored team and promote IRL races at each city a week or two before the next race. It would have been a great promaotional tool. He should have done this years ago, instead of now just for his stepson. Hopefully this team doesnt cause problems, a phantom yellow or stupid penalites that benifit Ed will look suspiosous. IMO to little to late, a stupid move for Tony, now he helps american drivers with not as much money as the "Furriners" move up from the ranks and race in the big leages, I though that was his vision to begin with, well at least now he is helping more..it just happens to be his stepson..go figure. Well my rant is over but it is a shame as so many good drivers american, canadian, european whatever, who have the talent and deserve a chance to race do not get a chance becuase Corporate Big Business just doesnt get it, and its funny becuase in this case Corperate "America" Big Buisness just happens to own the series...lol
Old 8 Feb 2005, 04:30 (Ref:1219992)   #448
marcus
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

Australia
Australia
so this Carpenter deal is done and dusted then is it ??

is there anywhere to get a confirmation on it ?
Old 8 Feb 2005, 05:53 (Ref:1220016)   #449
Kicking-back
Veteran

It is done and dusted, yes.

There's now a story about it on autosport.com too.
Old 8 Feb 2005, 07:03 (Ref:1220056)   #450
marcus
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

Australia
Australia
bloody autosport , i hate pay sites

Cheers KB