Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 15 Mar 2010, 11:25 (Ref:2652534)   #451
ECW Dan Selby
Veteran

England
Essex, England
ECW Dan Selby has a real shot at the podium!ECW Dan Selby has a real shot at the podium!ECW Dan Selby has a real shot at the podium!ECW Dan Selby has a real shot at the podium!ECW Dan Selby has a real shot at the podium!
It's really beginning to wind me up how everyone's blaming refuelling.......

Why does that have anything to do with the fact cars can't follow within a second of eachother?!

Selby
Old 15 Mar 2010, 13:25 (Ref:2652636)   #452
AussieTimmeh
Racer

Australia
Newcastle
AussieTimmeh should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Refueling isn't, or shouldn't, be blamed for the whole problem. But it does seem to contribute in this way:

No refueling = no need to make pitstops other than the one to change to the other compound tire = need to preserve the tires you do have for as long as possible = no following too close to the car in front as the tires start overheating in the hot air of the proceeding car = no chance of passing.

There are definitely other issues as to why cars get to that one second margin and can't go any further though, but there's even less reason to risk it now than before. Drivers are asking more of the tires now than ever. Previously a one stop race was a nothing-to-lose tactic, in Bahrain it was the norm.
Old 15 Mar 2010, 13:27 (Ref:2652638)   #453
jab
Veteran

Wales
South Wales/Coventry
jab should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridjab should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridjab should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by AussieTimmeh View Post
Refueling isn't, or shouldn't, be blamed for the whole problem. But it does seem to contribute in this way:

No refueling = no need to make pitstops other than the one to change to the other compound tire = need to preserve the tires you do have for as long as possible = no following too close to the car in front as the tires start overheating in the hot air of the proceeding car = no chance of passing.

There are definitely other issues as to why cars get to that one second margin and can't go any further though, but there's even less reason to risk it now than before. Drivers are asking more of the tires now than ever. Previously a one stop race was a nothing-to-lose tactic, in Bahrain it was the norm.
That pretty much sums the whole thing up

So in hot races, we're screwed
Old 15 Mar 2010, 14:04 (Ref:2652664)   #454
tblincoe
Veteran

tblincoe should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I'll get a lap-time analysis up for you guys soon - but I think you'll be fairly-well shocked by the way the times trended over the course of the afternoon. To summarize, times absolutely flat-lined across the board less than half-way through the race.

It really shows how conservative everyone was with their tires given the comparison lap times posted during qualifying. Looking at total pit-times, someone could have pushed much harder after their first stop, and pitted a second time to blitz the field. It was certainly possible and I'm sure that if its not attempted in Australia due to the nature of the circuit, someone is going to go for it in Malaysia (especially if one qualifies outside of the top 10 and can fit new tires).

Don't knee-jerk from one race is my feeling at the moment - I'll get the times and such up here in just a bit.
Old 15 Mar 2010, 14:07 (Ref:2652667)   #455
ECW Dan Selby
Veteran

England
Essex, England
ECW Dan Selby has a real shot at the podium!ECW Dan Selby has a real shot at the podium!ECW Dan Selby has a real shot at the podium!ECW Dan Selby has a real shot at the podium!ECW Dan Selby has a real shot at the podium!
Yeah I think we just also need to consider that this isn't a great circuit for action, plus drivers were slightly more weery than we'd perhaps anticipated.

I would have thought someone, or two, would put the bit between their teeth next race and try giving the tyres some whilst everyone else is conserving.

One of the new teams for example? Would it not be worth Lotus trying this (seen as their car can make the finish)?

Selby
Old 15 Mar 2010, 14:24 (Ref:2652679)   #456
tblincoe
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by ECW Dan Selby View Post
Yeah I think we just also need to consider that this isn't a great circuit for action, plus drivers were slightly more weery than we'd perhaps anticipated.

I would have thought someone, or two, would put the bit between their teeth next race and try giving the tyres some whilst everyone else is conserving.

One of the new teams for example? Would it not be worth Lotus trying this (seen as their car can make the finish)?

Selby
It would've happened to a certain extent if Sutil and Kubica hadn't collided. Jenson point-blank admitted he was far too conservative during the race.

I'll seriously be perplexed if at least one of the Big4, not to mention at least a couple of drivers from spots 11-15, don't split strategies and go for one more stop than the pack in Malaysia; especially if its hot and humid.

You do the math: Everyone was running on qualifying-levels of fuel for the last five laps of the race and were 6 seconds off qualifying pace. Then figure in that the pit stop procedure accounted for 22-28 seconds of lost time over two laps.

Sure overtaking is "difficult", but you can't tell me that someone running laps AT LEAST 4 seconds quicker than everyone else won't get by the car ahead.
Old 15 Mar 2010, 14:27 (Ref:2652683)   #457
Tim the Grey
Veteran

Wales
Across the M40 from Gaydon...
Tim the Grey has a real shot at the championship!Tim the Grey has a real shot at the championship!Tim the Grey has a real shot at the championship!Tim the Grey has a real shot at the championship!Tim the Grey has a real shot at the championship!
I wonder? The tyres o/heat when following the car in front.
How long, if ever, till they recover? 1 lap, 2 corners, never???
THAT could make the difference.

Tow up, blitz by, then hang onto a bronco for a couple of minutes till it calms down, and carry on, kind of thing. That could make a soft all the way option work?
Old 15 Mar 2010, 14:29 (Ref:2652687)   #458
jab
Veteran

Wales
South Wales/Coventry
jab should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridjab should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridjab should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
But the hards were overheating as well. It wasn't just the softs. That's the problem

The FIA have 3 options, essentially:

- more durable tyres - so that they won't go off, which will allow the drivers to be more aggressive and overtake

- less durable tyres - for more strategic variety

- mandatory 2-stopper - the drivers don't have to protect the tyres, again allowing them to be more aggressive and overtake

I'd take anything right now that is going to help overtaking rather than effectively putting the emphasis back on strategy. Besides Bridgestone are too conservative, so #2 is out of the question. So the obvious answer is (after waiting until we're finished in Australia/Asia to see if it gets any better) mandatory 2 stops until the end of the season, and then working with the new tyre supplier (if there is one) in 2010 to provide more durable tyres. Ultimately what you would want is a tyre war but that's not going to happen right now
Old 15 Mar 2010, 14:38 (Ref:2652697)   #459
ECW Dan Selby
Veteran

England
Essex, England
I'd hate a tyre war lol It'd just be another problem to complain about (yes, on top of the fact they can't overtake!).

And tblincoe, you'd like to think even a modern day F1 car going 4 seconds a lap quicker should be able to slot through. I mean afterall, I think Alonso/Massa must have been atleast 4 seconds or so a lap quicker over Vettel when he had the engine problem?

Selby
Old 15 Mar 2010, 14:45 (Ref:2652706)   #460
tblincoe
Veteran

Quote:
I'd hate a tyre war lol It'd just be another problem to complain about (yes, on top of the fact they can't overtake!).

And tblincoe, you'd like to think even a modern day F1 car going 4 seconds a lap quicker should be able to slot through. I mean afterall, I think Alonso/Massa must have been atleast 4 seconds or so a lap quicker over Vettel when he had the engine problem?

Selby
Funny enough, they were ranging from 2-4 seconds per lap faster during that segment...
Old 15 Mar 2010, 14:47 (Ref:2652710)   #461
jab
Veteran

Wales
South Wales/Coventry
Quote:
Whilst I complained about it at the time and wanted a level-playing field, the problem is a level-playing field isn't good for racing. Yes, we'd have a situation where Driver X will complain about being disadvantaged by his tyre manufacturer not producing decent tyres for this track, but that's what we need - it's interesting. Bridgestone must've gained more publicity through their tyre wars with Goodyear and later Michelin than they have with these stupid tyre rules we've seen since that were probably only introduced to keep them in the spotlight
Old 15 Mar 2010, 15:09 (Ref:2652721)   #462
Last2LiftOff
Veteran

Canada
Six Jolly Fellowship Porters
Last2LiftOff will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameLast2LiftOff will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameLast2LiftOff will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameLast2LiftOff will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameLast2LiftOff will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameLast2LiftOff will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameLast2LiftOff will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameLast2LiftOff will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameLast2LiftOff will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Seeing Alonza up front in a competitive car again, was a real treat, and a Ferrrari to boot. Hard lines Vettel but I think they saw that coming - RBR must be running two different exhaust set-ups back there.

You'd need another tire manufacturer.
Old 15 Mar 2010, 15:15 (Ref:2652724)   #463
AussieTimmeh
Racer

Australia
Newcastle
AussieTimmeh should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Last2LiftOff View Post
Hard lines Vettel but I think they saw that coming - RBR must be running two different exhaust set-ups back there.
Umm, it was a faulty spark plug, if that has any impact on your post...
Old 15 Mar 2010, 15:18 (Ref:2652729)   #464
Last2LiftOff
Veteran

Canada
Six Jolly Fellowship Porters
Last2LiftOff will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameLast2LiftOff will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameLast2LiftOff will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameLast2LiftOff will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameLast2LiftOff will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameLast2LiftOff will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameLast2LiftOff will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameLast2LiftOff will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameLast2LiftOff will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Oh there ya go, I did miss it, thanks for that Aus. A really tough weekend for him then, he seemed to be having a problem a day.
Old 15 Mar 2010, 16:01 (Ref:2652748)   #465
ECW Dan Selby
Veteran

England
Essex, England
Quote:
Originally Posted by tblincoe View Post
Funny enough, they were ranging from 2-4 seconds per lap faster during that segment...
There we have it then - it'd work

Selby
Old 15 Mar 2010, 16:20 (Ref:2652758)   #466
tblincoe
Veteran

If I remember correctly [target]-1.300 was the generally accepted bogey-time for overtaking possibility on conducive tracks in 2009. Anything 1.3s+ better than the guy in front would usually get a "lets see if we can get around him" communication from the pits...
Old 15 Mar 2010, 17:25 (Ref:2652812)   #467
Ted bennett
Racer

England
Derbyshire
Ted bennett should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Maybe Bernie's shortcut idea wasn't so bad after all.
Old 15 Mar 2010, 21:47 (Ref:2653013)   #468
Yannick
Veteran

Yannick should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by jab View Post
But the hards were overheating as well. It wasn't just the softs. That's the problem

The FIA have 3 options, essentially:

- more durable tyres - so that they won't go off, which will allow the drivers to be more aggressive and overtake
This option #1 would be it, I guess. But it might make the cars too fast too quickly, so they might not want to do it for safety reasons.
And despite that, as Bridgestone are pulling out, why should they develop another new tire?
Old 15 Mar 2010, 22:09 (Ref:2653034)   #469
Born Racer
Race Official
Veteran

Born Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
I don't understand the criticism of those who criticised the racing.

It's fine to say that people should know what to expect, but there is such frustration with continual changes, neglecting the main one that is screamingly obvious even to non-engineers- MASSIVE aerodynamic cuts.
Old 15 Mar 2010, 22:49 (Ref:2653056)   #470
bdwoody
Veteran

United Kingdom
redbridge southampton
bdwoody should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
make the front and rear wings twice the size so sponsors are happy .........but make them from cardboard !!!!
Old 15 Mar 2010, 22:56 (Ref:2653069)   #471
DanShenise
Racer

United States
Atlanta, via St. Pete Beach
DanShenise should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Nah, make em outta wood. Should make the night races more interesting, kinda like a Hawaiian flame dancers, or a horizontal space shuttle launch.
Old 16 Mar 2010, 07:01 (Ref:2653254)   #472
JagtechOhio
Veteran

United States
Powell, Ohio USA
JagtechOhio should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridJagtechOhio should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Mario, Trenton NJ, 1966 (?). One sheet of plywood, and the rest is history.
Old 16 Mar 2010, 09:46 (Ref:2653333)   #473
old man
Veteran

England
UK
old man should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridold man should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridold man should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
We watched the race "en famille", it being Mothers Day (!), and my son and I were discussing the interesting though processional race when Mum said "who makes up all these d*** silly rules anyway? Why can't they just let them race properly?" .........Bless, we did larf.......
Old 16 Mar 2010, 19:05 (Ref:2653670)   #474
Flyin Ryan
Veteran

United States
Carolina del Norte
Flyin Ryan should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Don't really understand why people are harping on a tire war. It's not going to happen.

http://joesaward.wordpress.com/2010/...he-last-laugh/

Quote:
Michelin left Formula One in high dudgeon at the end of 2006, believing that it had been harshly treated by the FIA over the events at Indianapolis in 2005. There was no love lost between the late Edouard Michelin (who drowned in a fishing accident in May 2006) and the then FIA President Max Mosley. Indeed there are some ho believe that Michelin had funded the Intercontinental Rally Challenge simply as a way to undermine the FIA’s World Rally Championship. But with Mosley in retirement and France’s Jean Todt now ensconced in the Place de la Concorde the political scenery has changed considerably. Bridgestone wants out of Formula 1 at the end of next year and Goodyear is not really keen on paying what is being asked, so the field is clear for Michelin to do a deal with the federation.
Who's going to compete against Michelin and would have the resources to do so, Kumho?
Old 16 Mar 2010, 19:13 (Ref:2653673)   #475
Flyin Ryan
Veteran

United States
Carolina del Norte
Flyin Ryan should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by tblincoe View Post
If I remember correctly [target]-1.300 was the generally accepted bogey-time for overtaking possibility on conducive tracks in 2009. Anything 1.3s+ better than the guy in front would usually get a "lets see if we can get around him" communication from the pits...
How much faster was Rosberg than Vettel until Nico caught up to him?