Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Sportscar & GT Racing

Old 9 Sep 2008, 18:33 (Ref:2285839)   #451
Tom908V12
Veteran

France
Paris(France)
Tom908V12 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I'm disappointed Corvette won't do anything regarding protos(LMP1 or 2)
Old 9 Sep 2008, 18:40 (Ref:2285844)   #452
AU N EGL
Veteran

United States
Raleigh, North Carolina
AU N EGL should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridAU N EGL should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by WMUCarGuy
So can we assume Ratel's over and under 5.5L FIA GT rules will be happening for sure now with this announcement?
Not Likely

Re read this part" Steve Wesoloski, GM Racing Road Racing Group manager. "The international regulations are converging around a single, global GT class,"

Old 9 Sep 2008, 18:55 (Ref:2285867)   #453
WMUCarGuy
Veteran

United States
WMUCarGuy should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by AU N EGL
Not Likely

Re read this part" Steve Wesoloski, GM Racing Road Racing Group manager. "The international regulations are converging around a single, global GT class,"

Then why would they be making the next C6 race car have an engine smaller than the one in the production car?
Old 9 Sep 2008, 19:12 (Ref:2285892)   #454
19dodge
Veteran

19dodge should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
The rules are not yet finalized I guess. Ratel's plan is still to have two classes, but Fehan said in the conference that he thinks everyone will go to one class, and it will just be one GT class by default.
Old 9 Sep 2008, 19:24 (Ref:2285908)   #455
HORNDAWG
Veteran

United States
Oregon
HORNDAWG should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridHORNDAWG should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridHORNDAWG should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom908V12
I'm disappointed Corvette won't do anything regarding protos(LMP1 or 2)
I just do not get it. Corvette Racing exists, to better, and promote/sell the product, directly! They race Corvettes. Pretty simple.

L.P.
Old 9 Sep 2008, 19:28 (Ref:2285916)   #456
The359
Veteran

United States
Pennsylvania, USA
The359 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
DSC's report seems to indicate that the ACO will go 1 class, and FIA will remain 2 classes?
Old 9 Sep 2008, 19:40 (Ref:2285928)   #457
johntt
Veteran

England
England
johntt should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by The359
DSC's report seems to indicate that the ACO will go 1 class, and FIA will remain 2 classes?
Won't that cause a split in GT racing? I thought that the ACO and FIA were on the same side and that SRO was pushing for 2 classes.
"On a given day, a given circumstance, you think you have a limit. And you then go for this limit and you touch this limit, and you think, 'Okay, this is the limit.' And so you touch this limit, something happens and you suddenly can go a little bit further. With your mind power, your determination, your instinct, and the experience as well, you can fly very high." -Ayrton Senna
Old 9 Sep 2008, 19:43 (Ref:2285933)   #458
JAG
Veteran

England
JAG should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridJAG should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridJAG should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by HORNDAWG
I just do not get it. Corvette Racing exists, to better, and promote/sell the product, directly! They race Corvettes. Pretty simple.

L.P.
That applies to all manufacturer's, there's more than one way to promote a brand, I'd also suggest if customer cars are going to be the cornerstone of the program, that leaves P&M with multiple options.
Old 9 Sep 2008, 19:43 (Ref:2285934)   #459
The359
Veteran

United States
Pennsylvania, USA
Or maybe the ACO will only run 1 of the FIA's classes at Le Mans/ALMS/LMS?
Old 9 Sep 2008, 19:44 (Ref:2285935)   #460
AU N EGL
Veteran

United States
Raleigh, North Carolina
AU N EGL should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridAU N EGL should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by WMUCarGuy
Then why would they be making the next C6 race car have an engine smaller than the one in the production car?
To fit the racing rules.

Some way out rumors that the new C7 generation corvettes ( release in 2021 or 2013 ) will have a smaller engine, dont know for sure
Old 9 Sep 2008, 19:45 (Ref:2285936)   #461
AU N EGL
Veteran

United States
Raleigh, North Carolina
Quote:
That is a very strong possibility. Need a place for the current GT1 cars, at least for a few years.

So we will see what is released on Sept 15.
Old 9 Sep 2008, 19:48 (Ref:2285941)   #462
JAG
Veteran

England
JAG should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridJAG should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridJAG should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by johntt
Won't that cause a split in GT racing? I thought that the ACO and FIA were on the same side and that SRO was pushing for 2 classes.
Not if GT2 is the same for both series, SRO can run GT1, just as the ACO have P1 and P2.
Old 9 Sep 2008, 20:10 (Ref:2285968)   #463
FIRE
Race Official
Veteran

Netherlands
FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!
For a sports car manufacturer like Corvette IMO GT2 is the best choice. Of course I would like to see a Corvette prototype but with GM's financial situation that's not realistic and GT class suits Corvettes image better as LMP class. But still I hope a few LMP1 teams (Pescarolo, LAA?) put the Katech Corvette GT1 engine in a prototype next season(s).

GT2 class is still affordable for private teams (see LMS, ALMS, FIA GT, Open GT) so Corvette will probably sell several cars to European and American teams which means good PR for the brand without having to spend money (even making money by selling the cars and support).

From this press release I understand Corvette Motorsport (Pratt&Miller) will run the cars themself. Personally I prefer private teams run the cars with support from Corvette (technical, drivers) like Porsche and Ferrari do.

Why using the C6 instead of the Z06? Isn't the Z06 more suited for racing thanks to the stiffer steel chassis?

And I really hope ACO and Ratel decide to create one GT class (for current GT2 cars). Ferrari, Porsche, BMW, Corvette, Aston Martin, Lamborghini (likely) and maybe Spyker, Panoz and Dodge will have GT2 cars. This means 5 large manufacturers are officially involved in GT2 class! What do ACO and Ratel want more?! One GT class is also easier to understand for the general viewer. A possibility is to divide this GT class into 2 seperate championships (Pro/Am, like in WTCC).

BTW I hope LG Motorsports will get some discount if they buy a Corvette GT2 for the 2010 ALMS season.
Old 9 Sep 2008, 20:25 (Ref:2285974)   #464
gucom
Racer

gucom should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
If the ACO are going for 1 GT class, wouldn't another (higher) class be basically stillborn? If Ratel goes through with this despite the ACO only wanting 1 class, he's a stubborn fool...

The prospect of that single GT class is absolutely mouthwatering though although keeping it <5,5 litre would exclude some of the top-end supercars (basically anything with a V12, and some of the bigger V8 / V10 engines... )
Ofcourse that keeps cost down but the boy's-bedroom-wall-poster-factor is certainly enhanced by including top-end cars...
Old 9 Sep 2008, 20:27 (Ref:2285977)   #465
HORNDAWG
Veteran

United States
Oregon
HORNDAWG should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridHORNDAWG should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridHORNDAWG should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by JAG
That applies to all manufacturer's, there's more than one way to promote a brand, I'd also suggest if customer cars are going to be the cornerstone of the program, that leaves P&M with multiple options.
But this is the GM model, and it has not changed, because it is successful. Which has been pointed out numerous times and disreguarded just as many! This is the way that they do it!

L.P.
Old 9 Sep 2008, 20:31 (Ref:2285981)   #466
Speed-King
Veteran

Speed-King has a real shot at the podium!Speed-King has a real shot at the podium!Speed-King has a real shot at the podium!Speed-King has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by gucom
If the ACO are going for 1 GT class, wouldn't another (higher) class be basically stillborn? If Ratel goes through with this despite the ACO only wanting 1 class, he's a stubborn fool...
I think it would be viable if the new GT1 was -as hinted by Ratel in his recent endurance-info interview - an upgrade-class for GT2. DTM-rear-wing, bigger restrictor on a GT2 car and go.
Old 9 Sep 2008, 20:37 (Ref:2285987)   #467
AU N EGL
Veteran

United States
Raleigh, North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by FIRE
Why using the C6 instead of the Z06? Isn't the Z06 more suited for racing thanks to the stiffer steel chassis?
The C6R was homolgated for GT1. so the standard C6 was homolgated for GT2. The Z06 was homolgated for GT3.

The Z06 has an aluminum frame, the C6 has a steel frame, The C6R uses the Steel frame off the assembly line for the C6, not the Z06.
Old 9 Sep 2008, 20:39 (Ref:2285989)   #468
FIRE
Race Official
Veteran

Netherlands
FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!
Quote:
The C6R was homolgated for GT1. so the standard C6 was homolgated for GT2. The Z06 was homolgated for GT3.

The Z06 has an aluminum frame, the C6 has a steel frame, The C6R uses the Steel frame off the assembly line for the C6, not the Z06.
Thanks
Old 9 Sep 2008, 20:41 (Ref:2285991)   #469
Hugewally
Veteran

United States
Largo, FL USA
Hugewally should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Not Likely

Is this car going to be in the lead class for the World GT Championship, and is that something that would be of interest to Corvette Racing?

Fehan: "The way the rules appear to be going to be finalized – these are FIA rules we're talking about now, not necessarily ACO or ALMS rules – the GT2 car as we'll call it for the time being will serve as the base car. To get to a GT1, which will be developed off of GT2, right now they're talking about a change in the bodywork, a larger wing, and some different power. That may be a slight oversimplification, but I think you get the gist of what I'm saying. GT1 is like a build-up from the GT2 car, so a guy who had a GT2 car could, in fact, buy a kit from the manufacturer and make it a GT1 car. I think that Stephane Ratel's objective is to have GT1 cars run for that world championship program. Manufacturers are certainly considering it, but the focus seems to be on GT2 right now, and that's where our focus is going to stay for the time being."

How similar are the 2010 GT rules to what we're seeing right now in the 2008 American Le Mans Series?

Wesoloski:
"They are very close, but there are some slight modifications. The ACO is interested in slowing down all of the classes at Le Mans, so there will be some further limitations on things like ride height and aerodynamic devices on the cars. Largely they will be the same chassis, with some restrictions on engine displacement that will be eligible for each of the different GT classes. That's one of the ways to differentiate power, by specifying engine displacements that will be allowed to run in GT1 versus GT2."

Is the general consensus that eventually there will be but one GT class?

Fehan:
"I don’t know that that is necessarily anybody's given direction. Our speculation is that by default that will probably occur. Right now ourselves and the one Aston Martin are the only cars running (in ALMS GT1). In the natural order of things, it's not something that anyone is planning or forcing to have happen. I think it's just been an evolution. If there's nobody there, there won't be a GT1."
Old 9 Sep 2008, 20:42 (Ref:2285992)   #470
HORNDAWG
Veteran

United States
Oregon
Quote:

The Z06 and ZR1 are still technically a C6.

Quote:
Fehan did state that “we will be utilizing the aluminum chassis of the street car. We will be incorporating new advanced technology to integrate the steel cage to the aluminum frame, utilizing friction welding.”

L.P.
Old 9 Sep 2008, 20:59 (Ref:2286011)   #471
The359
Veteran

United States
Pennsylvania, USA
Quote:
C6 simply refers to the generation of Corvette. It doesn't refer inherently to the base model. The current C6.Rs feature the Z06 bodywork design.
Old 9 Sep 2008, 21:02 (Ref:2286015)   #472
The359
Veteran

United States
Pennsylvania, USA
It may be that the mention of a "single GT class" could simply be a reference to the 2009 season if no one runs GT1, rather than a new single GT class in 2010.
Old 9 Sep 2008, 21:08 (Ref:2286021)   #473
broadrun96
Veteran

United States
broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
For a sports car manufacturer like Corvette IMO GT2 is the best choice. Of course I would like to see a Corvette prototype but with GM's financial situation that's not realistic and GT class suits Corvettes image better as LMP class. But still I hope a few LMP1 teams (Pescarolo, LAA?) put the Katech Corvette GT1 engine in a prototype next season(s).

GT2 class is still affordable for private teams (see LMS, ALMS, FIA GT, Open GT) so Corvette will probably sell several cars to European and American teams which means good PR for the brand without having to spend money (even making money by selling the cars and support).

From this press release I understand Corvette Motorsport (Pratt&Miller) will run the cars themself. Personally I prefer private teams run the cars with support from Corvette (technical, drivers) like Porsche and Ferrari do.

BTW I hope LG Motorsports will get some discount if they buy a Corvette GT2 for the 2010 ALMS season.
I'm sure the major part of chosing GT is the easy fan correlation between the race car and street car. Wouldn't be surprised to see Chevy P1 engines but not from the GM race team.

as for the Z06, thought it had aluminum frame rails for weight saving and they use base Vette rails and some substructures for all the racing Vettes, even the GT1 cars as aluminum isn't allowed in the method GM makes it. (or something like that, but it was mentioned in a Discovery HD show at the Bowling Green plant with one of the Vette model engineers.)
Old 9 Sep 2008, 21:31 (Ref:2286044)   #474
AU N EGL
Veteran

United States
Raleigh, North Carolina
Quote:
It may be that the mention of a "single GT class" could simply be a reference to the 2009 season if no one runs GT1, rather than a new single GT class in 2010.
Single GT class starting in 2010.

The new Corvette GT2 car will be based off the current ZR1 model for homolgation.
Old 9 Sep 2008, 21:35 (Ref:2286050)   #475
WMUCarGuy
Veteran

United States
WMUCarGuy should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Single GT class starting in 2010.

The new Corvette GT2 car will be based off the current ZR1 model for homolgation.
I hope that doesn't mean it'll have a stupid hood window...