Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Sportscar & GT Racing > 24 Heures du Mans

Closed Thread

Old 21 Jan 2014, 19:35 (Ref:3356811)   #451
Gingers4Justice
Veteran

United Kingdom
Highbury, London
Gingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by isynge View Post
I think the latter point Simon makes cuts to the heart of things - the challenge isn't so much generating the footage, and I suspect in the greater scheme of things mandating an in-car camera shouldn't be eyewatering (and scope to license it to a camera manufacturer such as Go Pro?) but making sense of it all.

We're already seeing how highlights packages aren't edited, instead being more a collection of live footage stitched together with no real contextualisation, and unless you've got a production team who are capable of recognising in advance that a particular bit of in-car is going to be good then we'll be in a similar position to the current situation with interviews in the pits, where it really doesn't matter what's going on on-track, or what the commentator is saying, the footage will just cut to what is generally a pretty mundane interview.

Every time I'm moved to moan about the quality of coverage I dig out the highlights video for 1980, where as far as I can tell there was one camera which over the course of the race made its way around the track, and if it happened to be where something exciting happened good, and if not, well there's nothing to be done about that.
I don't have any issue with the highlights. The use of live footage linked with live commentary on the latest reviews work very well indeed.

I recently watched the 1990 RLM review (thanks once more to a certain poster for that ), and what struck me was how little things have moved on. I'm not sure there were any fewer cameras back then compared to present day and bar a period in the night where there was clearly very little footage to use (though that situation improved 9 years later to a level we can only dream of today), what stood out was how remarkably similar it was to the 2013 review, minus the music but with HD added.

My point is that with Le Mans being the birthplace of so many ground-breaking ideas, the television coverage - live, at least - should reflect that.

Broadly speaking, it could be seen as a criticism you could level at motor sport as a whole - F1 didn't embrace HD with open arms at first either.

I'm not sure whether I've seen 1980 or not, but I've seen reviews from around the time and I get what you mean. The development between 1980 and 1990 was clearly huge. But between 1990 and 2000? Negligible.

I understand the TV Director can't predict any incidents. But all the same, watching between 11pm and around 6am, only half the images you'll see will show any cars racing. That can't be right.
Old 21 Jan 2014, 20:00 (Ref:3356824)   #452
deggis
Veteran

Finland
deggis is going for a new world record!deggis is going for a new world record!deggis is going for a new world record!deggis is going for a new world record!deggis is going for a new world record!deggis is going for a new world record!deggis is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gingers4Justice View Post
Most of the cameras wouldn't be used, I'm sure. Just every single incident would be caught in camera in some form.

Just like how all 22 F1 cars have onboard cameras - they don't all have to be used.
If I have understood correctly, not all of them are actually "in use" all the time in F1. Most likely for some technical reasons the directors in the tv control room pick n amount of cars to be used, obviously depending on what's generally going on in the race. This might have changed though but at least in the past explained why there wasn't onboard footage of every situation despite all cars having incar cameras.
Old 21 Jan 2014, 22:08 (Ref:3356875)   #453
Ratzenberger
Rookie

Austria
Salzburg
Ratzenberger should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I always subscribe to the Eurosport Player for LM week, probably the best feature during the race is a separate feed without commentary even though the pit interviews still cut in over the top every now and then.

In future years I'd like to see an option to watch from any of the broadcast cameras dotted around the circuit or even just the ones situated at the iconic corners would be great. That way I'm not forced to watch P1's in formation and can instead choose close battles in the other classes or watch and listen to cars as they fly past.
Old 22 Jan 2014, 08:56 (Ref:3356977)   #454
kpkorsager
Racer

Denmark
Vojens
kpkorsager has a real shot at the podium!kpkorsager has a real shot at the podium!kpkorsager has a real shot at the podium!kpkorsager has a real shot at the podium!kpkorsager has a real shot at the podium!
I think that the Danish TV2 has one of the most intensiv covering of the 24h.
They show all 24h and do a massiv work before and after the race it self.
In some of the big camps the signal is shown on big screens, much to the joy of all of us who like a Danish angle.
A team of reportes is on site to do interviews and some of the drivers who has raced Le Mans is giving there opinion as well.
It can be seen op the net, but only in the "danish region" (VPN)
Old 4 May 2014, 18:19 (Ref:3401975)   #455
Deleted
Veteran

Deleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
We have our first confirmations of British Eurosport team

* Martin Haven
* Jeremy Shaw
* Damien Faulkner
* Stuart Hall (return after driving duties last year)
* Liz Halliday (apparently only pits and 24 Minutes magazine - thanks for that)

No word on others yet...

Hopefully Kirby's busy doing laundry or something for whole June but unfortunately he gives us free years too rarely

---
As much critique as UK ES crew tends to get - it is my the source I listen to every year. Yes they make annoying mistakes at times and some voices in particular make you want to bang your head to the wall but for the most part I tend to enjoy it... it's, how should I say it, tradition.. I listen to RLM enough already, don't need them everywhere.. and break from Truswell's endless pit stop and fuel calculations is nice, we really don't need that information every 20 seconds. Less Nissan advertising too

Haven+Shaw combo tends to get quite heated at times too, lol

Besides Kirby the only one I could really do without is Chris Parsons (Cole can be okay-ish at times). And French pit lane girls with their silly questions containing zero value, but that's not on Eurosport UK's fault

Last edited by Deleted; 4 May 2014 at 18:46.
Old 4 May 2014, 18:31 (Ref:3401987)   #456
deggis
Veteran

Finland
deggis is going for a new world record!deggis is going for a new world record!deggis is going for a new world record!deggis is going for a new world record!deggis is going for a new world record!deggis is going for a new world record!deggis is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chiana View Post
* Lizz Halliday (apparently only pits and 24 Minutes magazine - thanks for that)
I don't complain if the alternative is

Old 4 May 2014, 18:40 (Ref:3401996)   #457
Deleted
Veteran

Deleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Found further confirmations:

Sam Hancock
Chris Parsons
Neville Hay
Sebastian Tiffert (pits)

Still no mention of CK... getting better and better

Quote:
Originally Posted by deggis View Post
I don't complain if the alternative is

http://i.imgur.com/EExD408.jpg

Old 4 May 2014, 20:53 (Ref:3402060)   #458
Simmi
Veteran

United Kingdom
Simmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Criterium du Dauphine and Tour de Suisse are both on across race weekend so I'd wager Carlton will be doing one of those.

Line-up will be a bit more race-focused as a result. Hopefully Haven will do a bit of rules/regs research prior to the event - rather than just shouting.

I've got a lot of time for Jeremy Shaw. He's a class act. Hopefully he can sneak in a few stints in the pits on RLM for those of us listening at the track.
Old 5 May 2014, 12:45 (Ref:3402463)   #459
Deleted
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Simmi View Post
Criterium du Dauphine and Tour de Suisse are both on across race weekend so I'd wager Carlton will be doing one of those.
Sounds too good to be true. But maybe you're right

IIRC 2011 was the last time without CK, and before that 2009
Old 16 May 2014, 14:25 (Ref:3406952)   #460
Deleted
Veteran

Some news for Spanish viewers here
http://www.sportspromedia.com/press_...arros_in_spain

Quote:
Subscribers to Telefonica will be able to enjoy this service beyond tennis during this year’s summer of sport on Eurosport, starting with the iconic Le Mans 24hrs race. Multiple feeds from this vast event will enable fans to follow the action and get a 360 degree view of the event, with options of watching the live race, from on board cameras in the cars and a paddock/pit lane feed. The on-board camera feed will even have its own TV directors on site selecting the best images to ensure the fans are watching the most relevant action.
Old 16 May 2014, 16:15 (Ref:3406977)   #461
GT6
Veteran

England
MAIDSTONE, KENT, ENGLAND
GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!
Great if you live in Spain
Old 16 May 2014, 16:35 (Ref:3406983)   #462
the sniper
Veteran

European Union
Birmingham
the sniper has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
I'll be amazed if this is only offered in Spain, given that these feeds are being produced by the host broadcaster. I'll be surprised and very impressed if British Eurosport offer them in the UK though, as I think it'd be the first time that they'd offer a 'red button' interactive service. It'd need the collaboration of Sky or VM.
Old 16 May 2014, 16:51 (Ref:3406986)   #463
Simmi
Veteran

United Kingdom
Simmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by the sniper View Post
I'll be amazed if this is only offered in Spain, given that these feeds are being produced by the host broadcaster. I'll be surprised and very impressed if British Eurosport offer them in the UK though, as I think it'd be the first time that they'd offer a 'red button' interactive service. It'd need the collaboration of Sky or VM.
Might be wrong but I'm guessing all that costs money. Which probably makes it a no-go.
Old 16 May 2014, 18:30 (Ref:3407018)   #464
deggis
Veteran

Finland
What does Telefonica subscription mean in that press release? iptv?
Old 16 May 2014, 18:55 (Ref:3407028)   #465
Deleted
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by deggis View Post
What does Telefonica subscription mean in that press release? iptv?
http://www.telecompaper.com/news/mov...arros--1014281
Quote:
Telefonica has announced that it will be broadcasting the Roland Garros 2014 tennis tournament on an exclusive basis on Movistar TV via up to six different feeds that can be viewed on-screen at the same time. The tournament, which starts on 25 May and forms part of a three-year rights deal reached with Eurosport, will be aired on Movistar TV channels 40 (Eurosport), 41 (Eurosport 2) and 240 (Eurosport 360HD). The multi-channel broadcast is available to all subscribers to the Movistar Fusion 'Energy', 'For All' or 'Total' TV packages.
http://advanced-television.com/2014/...tar-fusion-tv/
Quote:
Spain’s Telefonica has once again reshuffled its pay-TV service with a new convergent offer branded ‘Movistar Fusion TV’, available on all screens (smartphones, tablets, PCs TV sets), and with new functionalities like PVR and up to 350 hours of storage and multi-signal transmissions of sports events. The new TV offer includes mobile and fixed telephony, high speed Internet access and pay TV either via ADSL or optic fibre with prices between €75 and €107 a month.

http://www.telecompaper.com/news/mov...kages--1000302
Quote:
Telefonica has revamped its Fusion quad-play offering and will launch various new bundles on 07 March. The new packages all include landline, mobile telephony, fixed and mobile broadband connection and a TV service in a single product. Users will be able to choose between three different TV packages: “For All”, with channels from all genres, “Football”, with Spanish La Liga, Champions League, Europa League and UK Premier League matches, and “Energy”, which includes sports such as tennis, Formula 1 and Moto GP
Old 24 May 2014, 06:27 (Ref:3409672)   #466
Deleted
Veteran

Well this is... umm, interesting
COMMENTATE AT LE MANS WITH EUROSPORT

Quote:
But we've saved the best until last:
The Winner will be the commentator in your own, live 10-minute session from the Eurosport booth with the British Lead Commentators
Old 24 May 2014, 18:45 (Ref:3409942)   #467
Paradise City
Veteran

Bhutan
Dublin
Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chiana View Post
Well this is... umm, interesting
COMMENTATE AT LE MANS WITH EUROSPORT
Not that interesting. They've already tried dragging someone off the street with Karlton Kirby, haven't they ever heard of the old saying once bitten twice shy?
Old 24 May 2014, 18:58 (Ref:3409946)   #468
Deleted
Veteran

It was a sarcastic interesting

Okay I don't know how reliable this is or where did they get this info or how it complies with things like British ES or if it's for Danish Eurosport only or whether or not Monday & Tuesday actually have 24M but regardless - here's the Eurosport schedule according to 24h-le-mans.dk (updated this Monday)
http://www.24h-le-mans.dk/index.asp?get=lm2014itv

Wednesday 11/6
18:00 to 20:00 ES2 - Free Practice (again missing 2 hours as per last few years - the rest is probably on Player???)
21:35 to 22:00 ES1 - "News from Le Mans" (24 Minutes?)
22:00 to 00:00 ES1 - Qualifying I

Thursday 12/6
19:00 to 21:00 ES2 - Qualifying II
21:30 to 22:00 ES1 - "News from Le Mans" (24 Minutes?)
22:00 to 00:00 ES1 - Qualifying III

Friday 13/6
21:00 to 21:30 ES1 - "News from Le Mans" (24 Minutes?)

Saturday 14/6
08:45 to 09:45 ES1 - Warm-up
09:45 to 10:45 ES1 - Legends (yet the scheduled end for the race is at 10:50... maybe they've changed it? also 20min pre-race???)
14:15 to 14:45 ES1 - "News from Le Mans" (24 Minutes?)
14:45 to 16:30 ES1 - Race
16:30 to 18:30 ES2 - Race
18:30 to 23:30 ES1 - Race
23:00 to 00:00 ES2 - Race (why does it overlap with ES1? typo?)

Sunday 15/6
00:00 to 00:30 ES1 - "News from Le Mans" (24 Minutes?) (yeah probably typo as here ES2 isn't showing anything meanwhile)
00:30 to 08:30 ES1 - Race
08:30 to 09:15 ES2 - Race
08:45 to 09:30 ES1 - "News from Le Mans" (24 Minutes?)
09:15 to 15:15 ES1 - Race
15:15 to 15:30 ES1 - "News from Le Mans" (24 Minutes?)

So pretty standard coverage from them

Last edited by Deleted; 24 May 2014 at 19:04.
Old 24 May 2014, 19:04 (Ref:3409952)   #469
deggis
Veteran

Finland
Very little of the race on ES2...
Old 24 May 2014, 19:08 (Ref:3409953)   #470
Deleted
Veteran

As has been the norm for few years now... actually there was even less last year IIRC.

Anyway seeing as there appear to be some typos on that list - and it is for Danish ES - I wouldn't 100% trust on it yet, better wait till they start appearing on the official schedules (ES timetables go two weeks into the future)
Old 27 May 2014, 08:17 (Ref:3411188)   #471
Deleted
Veteran

Confirmation of 24 Minutes starting on the race week Monday as per usual, 21:30 UK time.
Old 29 May 2014, 09:17 (Ref:3412251)   #472
Deleted
Veteran

Looking at the official Eurosport schedule (British one too), so far we are up to Wednesday and the times are corresponding with the ones shown on post #468.

It's looking good on the lack-of-Kirby front since there have been no indications of him making appearance yet
Old 1 Jun 2014, 07:58 (Ref:3413520)   #473
Deleted
Veteran

Saturday British ES schedule is now showing some differences between ES1/ES2 times in comparison to the Danish schedule below so check your local timings again.

Group C broadcast is still showing to start 20 minutes before the start and end 5 minutes before end the end so no idea what's going on there. Saturday morning event timetable hasn't changed either

Last edited by Deleted; 1 Jun 2014 at 08:03.
Old 3 Jun 2014, 16:29 (Ref:3414840)   #474
Deleted
Veteran

Official promo vid
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i4wFu-svNUQ

When it said "follow the preparations of three star names" and it showed a pic of bald man called "Fabien Barthez" I was all WTF until I googled his name. Yeah I'm not huge footie follower
Old 3 Jun 2014, 21:44 (Ref:3414981)   #475
deggis
Veteran

Finland
Good beginning and then it just went Dempsey.

2008 promo is best: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ot6rJSNJF4Y

Last edited by deggis; 3 Jun 2014 at 21:49.
Closed Thread